(Topic ID: 92202)

WOZ v3.0 Reboots during game play

By jrawlinson_2000

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

There are 62 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 9 years ago

This just started happening to me and my game today, I've been on v3.0 since it's release and had no such issues.

Any one else had or getting this?

I played 4 games and each time mid game the machine reboots, any suggestions?

I'm planning tomorrow to go back to v1.24 and see if I get the same....

#2 9 years ago

I don't think its the software, I have 300 games on ver 3.0 and its rock solid, unless it was somehow a bad install or bad SSD.

BTW, ver 3.0 is like night and day on the game, very good update.

#3 9 years ago

Be sure the connector to the crystal ball is on tight. Be sure the connector from the I/O board to motherboard is on tight. And connectors to hard drive are on tight.

LTG : )™

#4 9 years ago

That's not a 3.0 issue. Don't bother rolling back.

#5 9 years ago

I agree this is not a 3.0 issue, but it is a WOZ issue. Mine has done it since I got it. Doesn't do it often, but Lloyd says JJP knows about it and according to my trouble ticket there is no fix yet...

#6 9 years ago

Yes there is a fix for the reboots on the way.

#7 9 years ago

Brave thread on Pinside.

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

Yes there is a fix for the reboots on the way.

Great news, thanks Alex!

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Be sure the connector to the crystal ball is on tight. Be sure the connector from the I/O board to motherboard is on tight. And connectors to hard drive are on tight.

I would plus 1 on this 100%!...........

I moved the crystal ball out of the way when I was moving the post for the left outlane..... thought I put everything back together,,,, I am EVER so careful.

BUT,,,, my system rebooted..... and I thought O'Crap... there is no way I can blame this on JJP.... but now that I know... hey, it was just me.

Since then I have had no issues.....

check the crystal ball. wish for the best. let us know how it turns out.......

#10 9 years ago

I thought reboots were not related to loose crystal ball cable

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from pinstyle:

I thought reboots were not related to loose crystal ball cable

They're not....
And trust me, I have checked, double checked, triple checked, etc....Every connector on this machine - to include at the motherboard. The rebooting issue is a known problem.

I am not saying Geremy is wrong that a connector was the cause of his issue, but the reboot issue is a known issue that affects a great deal of machines. Lloyd said that he believed the issue was hardware related so I am interested in what the fix will be.

#12 9 years ago
Quoted from toro1966:

They're not....
And trust me, I have checked, double checked, triple checked, etc....Every connector on this machine - to include at the motherboard. The rebooting issue is a known problem.
I am not saying Geremy is wrong that a connector was the cause of his issue, but the reboot issue is a known issue that affects a great deal of machines. Lloyd said that he believed the issue was hardware related so I am interested in what the fix will be.

Alright, I just remembering Alex saying that it is not related to reboots but then LTG suggested checking the cable to see if it was loose. Just trying to get the facts straight. Thanks toro

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from toro1966:

I am not saying Geremy is wrong that a connector was the cause of his issue, but the reboot issue is a known issue that affects a great deal of machines.

Whoa, whoa,whoa.... I may have spoken too soon. Ummm... I had no idea that this was an issue with any other game. In this case: "I never lifted the playfield, don't even know what that is......"

I hope everyone will back me up on this one if this ever comes up again. Please delete my post so there is no record in case I need warranty service...... (i've not had the issue come up again, but if it does.... I will need some backing.......)

hope this reboot issue does not occur for anybody else. I know I was surprised!.... and wish the best for toro and the rest.

#14 9 years ago

Geremy - No worries. We've got your back

It looks like JJP is working the fix based on Alex's post - which is a good thing. Again, doesn't happen terribly often, but it never fails that when it does, I am usually in a great game...(*&!
Cheers!

#15 9 years ago

Yup and it's not a software bug.

#16 9 years ago

Try using mist and shine. I had the same issues. I was told it was static elect. Related. I cleaned the of with mist and shine and no more re boots. Mist and shine take away the static elec.

#17 9 years ago
Quoted from Geremy13:

Please delete my post so there is no record in case I need warranty service...

Thankfully I didn't read it.

#18 9 years ago

I have had reboots since early in my ownership. I did think it was crystal ball related ( or ???) so good to hear it is a known issue on more machines and a fix is in the works.

#19 9 years ago
Quoted from toro1966:

Geremy - No worries. We've got your back

I love pinside!. Plain and simple. This is where I come to relax.

Appreciate everybody!

#20 9 years ago

I can't say for sure that mist n shine helps but it is static causing the reboots so mitigating static is key.

#21 9 years ago

Alright,,, so I have something to share with everybody. Since this is a JJP thread and WOZ at that, I don't suppose anybody else will read this....... so I have to share this....

So me and the wife are playing a best in 5 tournament among ourselves.. and she is wearing this sweet Summer dress..... of which she tells me she needs to purchase more of.... and of course I think she is correct. Because I would never disagree with her otherwise.......

But as we are playing....... and everytime she stands up and 'hits' the jackpot on the upper lanes or what have you.. it does not say 'Oh' Wealthy!;;;,,,, it say's Oh' Filthy!'........... and I am sure it is respecting my thoughts..... and telling me that I INDEED need to buy her some more Summer dresses....

she sure looks good in those..........

#22 9 years ago

I'm sure Alex will get ya taken care of. I had some reboot issues a long time ago, but different cause I imagine (mine also would occasionally error during boot too) it ended up being a bad SSD, once replaced It never happened again.

#23 9 years ago

So, if the reboots are being caused by static, and I'm going to assume the static is being generated on the playfield by the ball since people are saying the mist and shine eliminated the static and solved the reboot issue. Couldn't you just tape a flat copper strip to the playfield somewhere out of sight and run it to ground?

#24 9 years ago

So you guys with reboots have standards or les?

#25 9 years ago

i have also more then 100 games with 3.0

no reboot on the LE

#26 9 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

So you guys with reboots have standards or les?

Mine is standard

#27 9 years ago

why should be a difference

pc is the same !?

#28 9 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

OK, I will check these things, and get back to this post, thanks

#29 9 years ago
Quoted from kapsreiter:

pc is the same !?

Just a hunch. But the stainless lockdown bar and side rails conduct electricity (from the player) while the powder coated ones do not. I have a standard powder coated and never had a reset. But static can change a lot based on humidity and altitude also

#30 9 years ago

Good Point Markmon.....You may have something here.

I have had static/ground reset other games, and the powder coating would lessen that....

My resetting issue was a cable, and it was the pins inside the connector....one was pushed in to far. so contact was capable to be broken. It took several people, and close to 15 hours to figure that out.....Not saying that this is what others have, as the only way I think you can tell is when you check a connector, start by un connecting, and look at both sides. If one pin in the bunch is lower into the plastic housing then the others....maybe....

#31 9 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Good Point Markmon.....You may have something here.

I have had static/ground reset other games, and the powder coating would lessen that....

My resetting issue was a cable, and it was the pins inside the connector....one was pushed in to far. so contact was capable to be broken. It took several people, and close to 15 hours to figure that out.....Not saying that this is what others have, as the only way I think you can tell is when you check a connector, start by un connecting, and look at both sides. If one pin in the bunch is lower into the plastic housing then the others....maybe....

This is fun to read, and my post is not related and way off the mark, but wanted to share: So I have a company right now, that has 70+ employees and has to make payroll tomorrow. Their main system is down, it just 'shuts off' (reboots) without any warning every 4 hours. Just started right before the holiday weekend. But now it is another workday and needs to be fixed 'right now'. So I am asked how long it will take? Can we fix this 4 hour bug in an hour?..

Ummmmm..... NOPE!

I hope they're not reading this.

(electronics can offer some of the most amazing challenges and I'm sure that JJP will figure this one out as well. I wish they would figure out our customer's issue.......... but I will have to go to work tomorrow and figure this one out myself. CRAP!)

#32 9 years ago

Not sure what kind of "fix" they can do for this unless they send out a bunch of ground braid and have people run it everywhere through the machine and properly ground everything. People down here in the humidity of Florida have an advantage!

#33 9 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Not sure what kind of "fix" they can do for this unless they send out a bunch of ground braid and have people run it everywhere through the machine and properly ground everything. People down here in the humidity of Florida have an advantage!

Fix already developed. We found out where the issue is coming from and it doesn't involve a ground braid.

#34 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

Fix already developed. We found out where the issue is coming from and it doesn't involve a ground braid.

Cool. I'll be interested in seeing the fix!

#35 9 years ago

People already posted it. Involves a gasket around the motherboard I/O panel and a ferrite core leading to the mobo. The combination of the 2 eliminate the reset issue due to the static.

#36 9 years ago

Hi Alex,

Thats great news!

So for the owners that have the earlier boards, what do we do to accomplish this?
(or did I miss a thread/email?)

#37 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

People already posted it. Involves a gasket around the motherboard I/O panel and a ferrite core leading to the mobo. The combination of the 2 eliminate the reset issue due to the static.

Fantastic Info..........

Am interested to see the results.

#38 9 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Hi Alex,
Thats great news!
So for the owners that have the earlier boards, what do we do to accomplish this?
(or did I miss a thread/email?)

This isn't for the light boards.

#39 9 years ago
Quoted from kapsreiter:

pc is the same !?

It's called troubleshooting.

#40 9 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Just a hunch. But the stainless lockdown bar and side rails conduct electricity (from the player) while the powder coated ones do not. I have a standard powder coated and never had a reset. But static can change a lot based on humidity and altitude also

Sadly its not the lockdown or side rails with static.

As I played a game just touching the flipper buttons and it still rebooted mid-game.

#41 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

What & who?!?

Where can this be found on the JPP site?

And who do I have to talk to in order to get my machine working as it should?

Cheers

#42 9 years ago

Do you have the updated unified power board? That was one of the things i had Lloyd send me when I was having some weird reboot issues. that might be another thing to check out.

#43 9 years ago
Quoted from arcadenerd925:

updated unified power board?

Any help here? Is this what Alex is talking about? Right now, I have been living with reboots...maybe one every
30-40 games, and have been hoping for an answer.
My mistake as I thought the reboots were related to light boards, as I thought those were of issue by static as well.

Is there a formal JJP announcement in the works to wait for...???

#44 9 years ago
Quoted from arcadenerd925:

Do you have the updated unified power board? That was one of the things i had Lloyd send me when I was having some weird reboot issues. that might be another thing to check out.

Nope, not sure I know what the unified power board would look like?

My system is a 5v LED edition with 3 power supplies.

#45 9 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Any help here? Is this what Alex is talking about? Right now, I have been living with reboots...maybe one every
30-40 games, and have been hoping for an answer.
My mistake as I thought the reboots were related to light boards, as I thought those were of issue by static as well.
Is there a formal JJP announcement in the works to wait for...???

No i do not believe its what Alexis is referencing. Do you have the newer (7v i think?) light boards? or the older 5v ones?. I'm not even sure if that makes a diff, but my machine, very seldom, would reboot, like example, when i was trying to knock on the door on the upper playfield. BAM reboot. but it was not repeatable, like yours, maybe once ever 40 or 50 games.

Once I swapped in the updated unified power board (basically, the power supply sitting next to the motherboard in the PC case) I was good and havent had it reboot since.

#46 9 years ago
Quoted from jrawlinson_2000:

Nope, not sure I know what the unified power board would look like?
My system is a 5v LED edition with 3 power supplies.

Yeah, im not sure how that plays out on the original systems with the 5v boards, I dont want to speculate. but might be worth asking Lloyd about.

#47 9 years ago

The reboot and light board issues are not related, in that the light boards affect reboots or the reboots happen because of particular light boards. They are related in that the cause of the issues are the same.

So, it doesn't matter what version light board you have, they don't affect any reset issues.

Reset issues for any generation game can be caused by many things, WOZ is no different.

The specific motherboard reset issue has been resolved for several weeks now, and as mentioned a gasket is added to the MB case creating a Faraday shield, and a ferrite bead is added to the power supply wiring. As far as I know, this has been factory standard on all games for at least a couple months now.

--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics
http://LockWhenLit.com
Quality Board Work - In Home Service
borygard at gmail dot com

#48 9 years ago
Quoted from Borygard:

The reboot and light board issues are not related, in that the light boards affect reboots or the reboots happen because of particular light boards. They are related in that the cause of the issues are the same.

So, it doesn't matter what version light board you have, they don't affect any reset issues.

Reset issues for any generation game can be caused by many things, WOZ is no different.

The specific motherboard reset issue has been resolved for several weeks now, and as mentioned a gasket is added to the MB case creating a Faraday shield, and a ferrite bead is added to the power supply wiring. As far as I know, this has been factory standard on all games for at least a couple months now.

Now this is someone I'm going to have to 'mark' as a favorite. (If I can figure out how to do that on pinside).... But he sounds like he knows what he's talking about. And Missouri isn't that far from Indiana. I like him already.

I will watch this closely. It is good information.

#49 9 years ago
Quoted from Borygard:

--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics

I have a hard time considering this resolved when people are complaining about resets. Resolved includes notifying people and sending out fix kits to people. This isn't being done, therefore, it is not resolved. Sounds like it is root caused. That's great.

#50 9 years ago
Quoted from Borygard:

--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics

Cool, hope that clears it up. was just sharing my experience with my own reboot issue that i'm assuming is diff, but here are the relevant JJP google group threads from when I was dealing with it just in case (for those WOZ owners who are signed up)

First JJP/google group post

Second JJP/google group post

Cheers!

~Steve

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
9,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Santa Maria, CA
$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 85.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 55.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 16.95
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 6.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Burlingame, CA
10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA
$ 29.99
Hardware
Classic Game Rooms

$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 62 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/woz-v30-reboots-during-game-play and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.