• Latest reply 10 years ago by StevenP
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_9806.jpg
crystalerror.jpg
There are 92 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 10 years ago

This is the 'official' thread to report any minor software glitches or suggestions for WOZ with software version 1.22. Hopefully someone from JJP will take note and benefit from this general input. Here's my initial report after playing a couple of long sessions. (I'm not offering rule suggestions at this point as I know they are still inprogress--just glitches and audio/lighting suggestions for the existing rules):

Glitches:

After starting game with main speakers muted and headphones in, I removed headphones and unmuted speakers with the lower button on the headphone panel. The main speakers would not play any sound. I tried adjusting main system volume with coin door buttons, and still no sound. Had to reboot to get sound back.

I *think* that the LEDs for the top rollovers sometimes fail to work properly. I know both go out after you light both for a multiplier, but sometimes when the ball is up and down the inlanes the LEDs don't seem to come on for a bit even though the multiplier registers. And sometimes the rollover lane light (regular, not flashing skill shot) doesn't seem to move. (I'm pushing the flipper button all the way in too.)

Sometimes it looks like the witch hurry-up indicator goes out and/or the music changes while the hurry-up is still active. This feature needs audio/visual cues to know it's still running, because you can't look up at the screen during the game to watch the countdown value.

Suggestions:

There needs to be *some* sound effect when hitting the Winkie drop target. And maybe another sound when all guards are down and the lane to the vuk is open.

The weak flipper mode is not weak enough. My flippers are at 18, and I could still make ramps in weak mode. And some poppy field video/audio is necessary for this mode!

When the flying monkey captures Dorothy (a pause for a video clip), there should be some evil music playing instead of the continued 'happy' music.

****feel free to add any reports of software glitches and suggestions in this thread****

#2 10 years ago

Seems like only about 25% of the time do my flippers flip when Dorothy clicks her shoes together at the start of TNPLH any one else notice this?

#3 10 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

Seems like only about 25% of the time do my flippers flip when Dorothy clicks her shoes together at the start of TNPLH any one else notice this?

Yep, same here.

#4 10 years ago

When twister is ready the twister insert under the ramp should be lit or blink......currently it does not light at all except in attract, sequences, etc.

EC Multiball more visual cues. Rollover LEDs should blink and then when activated be solid. When it is time to hit the ramp the LEDs should show you that you should be hitting the ramp. When it's time to hit the wizard - the inserts by the hole should be lit as well as the wizard blinking.

Rescue Multiball......jackpot sounds

I would imagine these things are coming.

#5 10 years ago

I have not noticed this.

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

The weak flipper mode is not weak enough. My flippers are at 18, and I could still make ramps in weak mode.

This is going to be a tricky area. The location game I played yesterday during weak flippers was -barely- able to make the ramp and the castle playfield flipper could not make the door shot. Exactly where they should be IMO. I can only assume the game was set to stock coil values.

#7 10 years ago

I'm sure this stuff is not news to Keith and will be fixed in later updates. Yes, the flippers only flip about 25% of the time at the start of TNPLH. Jackpots need callouts and the EC rules need to be better pointed out with call outs and lighting indicators of what to shoot next, especially which rollover to shoot for. Certain modes should not be stackable like fireball frenzy. The one thing that concerns me is the "attract mode" constant flashing lights which haven't been fully addressed and I fear will not change. Still too many flashing lights with yellow brick road, scarecrow, tin man, and lion. These would look better unlit until hit and then lit solid. It is distracting and hard to track your progress with these lights constantly strobing. Maybe have them strobe at the start of the game until the first yellow brick road advance or character rollover is hit. I fear the decision was made to keep all the flash to lure in new location players vs. what an experienced player may want.

#8 10 years ago

Why do people think this is supposed to happen more often/all the time? How interesting would it be if TAF did the flipper thing every single time the ball drained?

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

The one thing that concerns me is the "attract mode" constant flashing lights which haven't been fully addressed and I fear will not change. Still too many flashing lights with yellow brick road, scarecrow, tin man, and lion. These would look better unlit until hit and then lit solid. It is distracting and hard to track your progress with these lights constantly strobing.

So totally agree with this.

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

The one thing that concerns me is the "attract mode" constant flashing lights which haven't been fully addressed and I fear will not change. Still too many flashing lights with yellow brick road, scarecrow, tin man, and lion. These would look better unlit until hit and then lit solid. It is distracting and hard to track your progress with these lights constantly strobing. Maybe have them strobe at the start of the game until the first yellow brick road advance or character rollover is hit. I fear the decision was made to keep all the flash to lure in new location players vs. what an experienced player may want.

That is an interesting theory. My theory was/is that the inserts flash constantly to help light up the playfield a little since the GI does not do enough, either that or they have put the insert light progression on the back burner while they code the meat of the rules.

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from pinball_keefer:

Why do people think this is supposed to happen more often/all the time? How interesting would it be if TAF did the flipper thing every single time the ball drained?

I'm flying blind here Keefer just figuring out stuff as I go

#12 10 years ago

I haven't ever noticed the flippers flipping during the start of that mode?

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

That is an interesting theory. My theory was/is that the inserts flash constantly to help light up the playfield a little since the GI does not do enough.

But ultimately it makes it harder to see with all those flashing lights.

#14 10 years ago

Maybe do an always - sometimes - never adjustment? I'd put it on "always" personally, I think it's a cute touch that everyone should see.

#15 10 years ago

If it's only going to do it sometime, then maybe it should be even less frequent than it is now - because it SEEMS frequent enough that the times it doesn't happen feel like an error.

Also, I do think the whole TNPLH needs further choreography work - like some speech for the beginning, and definitely more fanfare for the end. After doing something so momentous, it ends with something of a whimper - more a result of lack of audio or lightshow... although I understand you may be planning further work on that mode, which could be why it's been left where it is for now.

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from Sunfox:

If it's only going to do it sometime, then maybe it should be even less frequent than it is now - because it SEEMS frequent enough that the times it doesn't happen feel like an error.
Also, I do think the whole TNPLH needs further choreography work - like some speech for the beginning, and definitely more fanfare for the end. After doing something so momentous, it ends with something of a whimper - more a result of lack of audio or lightshow... although I understand you may be planning further work on that mode, which could be why it's been left where it is for now.

Are you talking about TNPLH on the latest ode? Because completing it gives you the colorizing sequence, which is VERY cool!

Oh yeah. And I think the ball save insert by the right sling should flash orange instead of green.

#17 10 years ago

Yeah, I know about the colorization video sequence, but while it plays there's otherwise only the standard background music from the final stage, no dialogue, and no light show. Feels incomplete. Kind of like the monkey grabbing the ball for Rescue Multiball - there's a cool video that plays, but nothing else to go with it. Just needs some TLC - even Rescue Toto finally got some dialogue in this update!

#18 10 years ago

Oh Toto, you're back! - (Dorothy voiceover who sounds absolutely nothing like Judy Garland)

#19 10 years ago

Better than seeing the lips move and nothing coming out!

Although I really don't see why they can't use the original dialogue for this particular clip.

#20 10 years ago

Glitches with the crystal ball. System messages appear occasionally

#21 10 years ago

I heard the reasoning behind not using original dialogue was because JJP didn't want to confuse people with two different voices for the same character, which really is just indicative of the voiceover actors inability to match the original actors voices. I mean Dorothy and the Wicked Witch don't sound anything like the original actresses. Still, however noticeable, I certainly would prefer hearing original dialogue whenever possible especially in places matched with video showing Dorothy talking(TOTO save). The voiceovers are painfully obvious in these situations like watching an old dubbed karate movie. A menu setting for this would be awesome.

#22 10 years ago

Still missing jackpot callouts- it's too hard to know what you got, and many times, something is stacking and will play right over a jackpot screen shot.

#23 10 years ago
Quoted from shacklersrevenge:

Still missing jackpot callouts- it's too hard to know what you got, and many times, something is stacking and will play right over a jackpot screen shot.

This will certainly be taken care of in future updates I have no doubt. This thread should really be about pointing out subtleties that may have been overlooked or else debating major issues that you want changed such as strobing lights toned down or original dialogue used when possible over bad voiceovers.

#24 10 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

I heard the reasoning behind not using original dialogue was because JJP didn't want to confuse people with two different voices for the same character, which really is just indicative of the voiceover actors inability to match the original actors voices. I mean Dorothy and the Wicked Witch don't sound anything like the original actresses. Still, however noticeable, I certainly would prefer hearing original dialogue whenever possible especially in places matched with video showing Dorothy talking(TOTO save). The voiceovers are painfully obvious in these situations like watching an old dubbed karate movie. A menu setting for this would be awesome.

Personally I think the voice actors they used sound pretty spot on. As far as voice overs go in themed pinball JJP seems to have done a pretty good job. Those custom wizard callous are really cool. I'm hoping for some loud wizard "Jackpot!" and "Super Jackpot!" callouts.

One thing I would like to see added to the game is an animation / audio notification that you have collected an emerald / diamond. Currently once you earn an emerald for the first rule screen one of the 4 emeralds lights up but there's no other way of telling. Adding this feature will really give players that achievement feeling. Think of LOTR with the "Gift of the Elves" audio line and the animation played once you collect it. Who knows maybe this will be coming once Battle The Wicked Witch is in the game.

#25 10 years ago

Main glitch currently is the crystal ball has a lot of dead air/black screen

#26 10 years ago

It's nice to see comments are now relatively minor tweaking issues (except to the programmers) instead of overloaded power boards and light boards out. My main reason for a NIB was reliability

#27 10 years ago
Quoted from j69:

That's about the worse I have seen as well, in addition when my videos do play they freeze up after a sec or two.

#28 10 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

I *think* that the LEDs for the top rollovers sometimes fail to work properly. I know both go out after you light both for a multiplier, but sometimes when the ball is up and down the inlanes the LEDs don't seem to come on for a bit even though the multiplier registers. And sometimes the rollover lane light (regular, not flashing skill shot) doesn't seem to move. (I'm pushing the flipper button all the way in too.)

I've also experienced this especially after making the skill shot in the OZ lanes, the lights aren't activating for a few seconds.

#29 10 years ago

I have a couple comments:

1) please add double flipper cancel to video sequences such as: bonus, ball locks, multiball start, Dorothy captured. Would love to move on after viewing these sequences enough.

2) please add a ball saver if for some reason the ball exits the upper left playfield and ends up in the right outlane. On a couple machines, occasionally I have seen the ball jump the wire separator on the inlane and end up drained in the outlane here. I bent the hell out of my wire ramp to help solve this.

3) if monkey capture the ball lock is ready and you shoot right orbit but a bit weak (strong enough to call the monkey, but weak enough that the ball never hits the magnet), and a ball is already in the lock from another player or previous game, the game will release the locked ball giving two balls. The flow is nice having the locked ball be released as soon as the monkey grabs the ball. But this is the trade off.

4) if the monkey lock isn't enabled and Dorothy is not yet captured, perhaps keep the drop target up. There's no reason to enter the upper playfield right?

5) How about an option to disable auto plunge on locked balls. It's super annoying to lock a ball, have the auto plunger send the ball to the pops and flying out the right outlane. I'd rather it be my fault for plunging it there. Or maybe allow a skill shot on locked balls on top of it.

#30 10 years ago

Weak flipper mode seems to work fine. The shots should be do-able if you nail them, not impossible and not gimmies either.

#31 10 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

1) please add double flipper cancel to video sequences such as: bonus, ball locks, multiball start, Dorothy captured. Would love to move on after viewing these sequences enough.

This will get done soon.

Quoted from markmon:

2) please add a ball saver if for some reason the ball exits the upper left playfield and ends up in the right outlane. On a couple machines, occasionally I have seen the ball jump the wire separator on the inlane and end up drained in the outlane here. I bent the hell out of my wire ramp to help solve this.

Never seen or heard of this before. I'll consider it.

Quoted from markmon:

3) if monkey capture the ball lock is ready and you shoot right orbit but a bit weak (strong enough to call the monkey, but weak enough that the ball never hits the magnet), and a ball is already in the lock from another player or previous game, the game will release the locked ball giving two balls. The flow is nice having the locked ball be released as soon as the monkey grabs the ball. But this is the trade off.

Well, the ball is released because you can't have 2 balls in the lock at the same time; it's a physical necessity to kick the other one out. I have an idea to alleviate this, though.

Quoted from markmon:

4) if the monkey lock isn't enabled and Dorothy is not yet captured, perhaps keep the drop target up. There's no reason to enter the upper playfield right?

Well, there's "locking" balls...

Quoted from markmon:

5) How about an option to disable auto plunge on locked balls. It's super annoying to lock a ball, have the auto plunger send the ball to the pops and flying out the right outlane. I'd rather it be my fault for plunging it there. Or maybe allow a skill shot on locked balls on top of it.

I'm surprised how often this comes up because every Stern game that I'm aware of in the past few years does this exact same thing. Rest assured, every game I have worked on with physical locks has waited and given a skill shot, and we will do it here, too, just that there's always been other things more important to take care of first.

Post edited by pinball_keefer : typo

#32 10 years ago

Well, there's "locking" balls...

Any thoughts for once all the balls are locked and the final RESCUE is spelled out? I ended up draining from that playfield on purpose of course, but I'm wondering if some direction is in order for anyone that reaches that point. The guy watching me play simply didn't understand why I let the ball drain until I explained the rules to him.

One other interesting item that I failed to mention earlier, which at the time I thought was a bug during my game, was during reverse flippers the buttons reverted back to normal then a bit later back to reverse. It really, REALLY screwed with my head. I now realize that I probably hit Glinda for the "Stymie Witch" award. So very cool.

#33 10 years ago

I'm surprised how often this comes up because every Stern game that I'm aware of in the past few years does this exact same thing. Rest assured, every game I have worked on with physical locks has waited and given a skill shot, and we will do it here, too,

Keefer, I'm guessing it's because of the three recent Stern games that come to mind that have physical ball locks, any auto-plunge of the subsequent ball from the shooter lane plops the ball in the relatively safety of top-of-the-playfield lanes/pops that usually feed slowly/safely down an orbit (TF, TAV, MET). WOZ, on the other hand, auto-plunges into the often-deadly haunted forest.

Personally, I wouldn't change it, but I can understand the request.

#34 10 years ago

Keefer,

I LIKE the randomness of the heal clicks.....leave as is, please.....think Snailman hit it on the head w/ auto plunge...generally just more dangerous on WOZ than the Stern games.....not really a biggie for me...the machine really has a mind of it's own when draining or not (it seems).
Amazingly challenging and fun to this point ....thank you....mark

#35 10 years ago

Rest assured, every game I have worked on with physical locks has waited and given a skill shot, and we will do it here, too, just that there's always been other things more important to take care of first.

I'm not even a WOZ owner, I just like to be a voyeur when it comes to the game, but I just want to note how appreciated it is from everyone, not just those with skin in the game, that you're in these threads, responding to feedback and communicating directly with your players. It's great for the hobby, not to mention it makes me a lot more confident in being interested in The Hobbit.

Anyways, just wanted to mention that, carry on!

#36 10 years ago
Quoted from wtatumjr:

It's nice to see comments are now relatively minor tweaking issues (except to the programmers) instead of overloaded power boards and light boards out.

I agree wholeheartedly.

#37 10 years ago
Quoted from Snailman:

Keefer, I'm guessing it's because of the three recent Stern games that come to mind that have physical ball locks, any auto-plunge of the subsequent ball from the shooter lane plops the ball in the relatively safety of top-of-the-playfield lanes/pops that usually feed slowly/safely down an orbit (TF, TAV, MET). WOZ, on the other hand, auto-plunges into the often-deadly haunted forest.
Personally, I wouldn't change it, but I can understand the request.

There is always a second or two delay before the ball auto-launches. I have no problem manually plunging if I want to, just gotta be quick about it.

#38 10 years ago

Hello keith,
do you think that will be your best pinball woz you have done? (better than the Lord?)

#39 10 years ago

Can someone please explain how the upper left playfield locking balls works if Dorothy is not yet captured? I've seen bustin the door down and locking balls. But what does that mean? It still seems that when Dorothy is rescued, its still only two ball multiball. My understanding of the sequence of events could he wrong here. My understanding is:
1) hit winged or monkey targets
2) capture Dorothy
3) spell rescue once and shoot into castle to start two ball mb
4) doing any of the above out of order results in nothing.

#40 10 years ago

Spell rescue and then hit search which will give you a virtual lock up to four balls. Locking Dorothy gives you the fifth ball for 5 ball rescue MB.

That at least is what seems to be idea to me.

#41 10 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

Spell rescue and then hit search which will give you a virtual lock up to four balls. Locking Dorothy gives you the fifth ball for 5 ball rescue MB.

Correct.

#42 10 years ago
Quoted from j69:

I think the idea is it's a crystal ball so it's no always suppose to be displaying something. However since the latest update I've noticed it sometimes is black (like its completely off) and other times gray like it's on with no image. I'm not sure if that is the correct modes or not.

#43 10 years ago

When the crystal ball is idle, it should have a swirling, murky fog played on loop. However, I suspect there are limitations on what can be done with the CB's playback circuitry though, ie. I'm not sure the game can cancel a video that's currently being played, which might be why there's a lot of undefined "idle" time.

#44 10 years ago
Quoted from c2scanada:

Glitches with the crystal ball. System messages appear occasionally

Yeah, here's one I got a chance to capture. On Ball 1, holding on the right flipper, after a B-A-L-L target hit I believe. Don't know if that helps chase it down. As soon as I hit the next shot (the ramp) the yellow brick road appeared in there and all was normal the rest of the game. Second time that's happened (or that I've noticed) and first time on 1.22.

I'm loving what's there, so far. The flipper modes stacked with Dorothy or EC are just awesome!

Quoted from TaylorVA:

That's the way I understand it, too. Awesome insert show during Rescue! I plunge all the way on the first plunge just to try and get the WM targets out of the way, so I can Capture with one simple shot, and after that always short plunge, always always. Those trees are pure evil. I haven't stacked Rescue with No Hold yet, but I'm assuming that's a ripe challenge to conquer the upper pf and keep balls alive down below with pulse flippers! For such a simple looking upper playfield it's surprisingly challenging and fun.

crystalerror.jpgcrystalerror.jpg

#45 10 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

It's actually virtually lock up to three balls, then you can spell Rescue again to prep the door in advance. Dorothy would be the 4th (in my scheme of things) then break down the doors to lock the 5th and start the multiball.

Quoted from mechslave:

I plunge all the way on the first plunge just to try and get the WM targets out of the way, so I can Capture with one simple shot...

I too do a full plunge anytime I need the Winged Monkey targets, then I avoid capturing Dorothy until I have the 3 virtual locks completed as I don't want to accidentally start Rescue early. There seem to be multipliers in effect based on how many balls you have in play during Rescue. I'll try and work out the values once I have my game (hoping by the end of November). Biggest jackpot I saw during Rescue was 32,500 at the castle door.

#46 10 years ago

I've seen the same image above on my crystal ball. I actually rebooted and it has not shown up again.. that I noticed. Well a swirling murk would look sweet when it doesn't have a image to display. I've never seen that on the display though so hopefully it's something they can do in the future.

#47 10 years ago

I play in a weekly league that has WOZ in the rotation running 1.22. I noticed that when playing multiplayer games the tilt warning carried over from one player to the next. For example, player 1 would nudge a little hard and get the "warning" than "danger". If the next player nudged a little too hard it went straight to "tilt" and never did the warning or danger. Same thing if player 1 got a "warning", player 2 would start at "danger" We were playing a four player game at the time. Anyone else experience this?

#48 10 years ago
Quoted from kennywawa:

I play in a weekly league that has WOZ in the rotation running 1.22. I noticed that when playing multiplayer games the tilt warning carried over from one player to the next. For example, player 1 would nudge a little hard and get the "warning" than "danger". If the next player nudged a little too hard it went straight to "tilt" and never did the warning or danger. Same thing if player 1 got a "warning", player 2 would start at "danger" We were playing a four player game at the time. Anyone else experience this?

No but I'll make sure to tilt to danger next league night at my house. #imadick

#49 10 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

No but I'll make sure to tilt to danger next league night at my house. #imadick

Ha! I was thinking the exact same thing! Anyone behind me would go straight to tilt!

#50 10 years ago

Actually, tilt warnings are by default "per game" and not "per ball" so this may be confusing people. There's no way that one person's tilt warnings affect another person's.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 85.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA
$ 55.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.99
Hardware
Classic Game Rooms

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

9,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Santa Maria, CA
$ 395.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

There are 92 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/woz-v122-glitches-and-suggestions-thread and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.