IMG_1138.jpg
IMG_1137.jpg
woz3.jpg
woz2.jpg
woz1.jpg
emperor.jpg
woz-score-o-matic.jpg
production_started.JPG
There are 492 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 10.
#51 11 years ago

The game is shipping this month as far as we know

#52 11 years ago

They maybe are ahead on some things but they just aren't tested fully yet. Wouldn't want something not heavily tested brought to the show for everyone to hammer on.

#53 11 years ago
Quoted from TurnOne:

My money is that the code will never be 'finished' as they will have to focus on the next project to stay alive.
I hope for everyone's sake that I am wrong, but ...
Chris

I would say you are 100% wrong. Releasing (and never finishing) your FIRST game ever would be company suicide.

It's funny how not many people appreciate the fact that JJP is basically sharing the process with us, good and bad. Has it gone smoothly? Nope. Is Jack and JJP happy with the delays? Of course they are not.

The fact is, we should be happy that there is another player in the Pinball world, and that we still have pinball games coming from Stern and JJP.

WOZ will be here when it's ready, and I have no doubt it will be great, because JJP knows it HAS to be great. It's make it or break it for them.

#54 11 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I don't think that's it....this is purely speculation, and I don't know jack about programming....but here's a theory. Could it be that programming all the different modes, light shows, animation, etc are "modular"? For example, maybe Keith has all these great modes programmed already - but can't implement them into the functioning gameplay code yet for one reason or another...or maybe he tried but found some structural bugs so he "placed them aside" to reprogram things so everything will work correctly and bug free? Once those things are worked out, the finished modes can then be then dropped in? I dunno...just a thought. I have to imagine he had the whole game plotted out in one way or another - it's not as though he reaches a certain point and says "OK, now I'm going to start from scratch on this mode...OK, that mode's done, now I'm starting the next one from square one".
In case that was confusing as hell...my theory is: More "pieces" are done than we've seen, but the "puzzle" just needs to be assembled.

I think that is probably the smartest and best answer to date. I think that sums up how some are saying there is more done than we see. Jack has also said he wants the owners to see what is there first. The last time something was showed at an expo first, the owners freaked because he told owners they get the info first on his google group.

Here is one piece nobody seems to rememer from the original post.

Quoted from MrDo:

The crystal ball does nothing. Not even the JJP logo anymore.

We have already watched this work. They are not longer showing it. We know it is there and can show clips as fact. That fact and as positive as Jack is about shipping after not saying anything for a long time and the fact the he is telling owners they get to see it first. I can not see how it is not much further along. If you do not believe that it is further, then you think that four programers can only add one multiball mode and some shaker inputs in a week, I think that is one day at most for a team.

#55 11 years ago
Quoted from krupa:

You guys have the patience of saints. I'm not sure if Jack realizes this but JJP's greatest achievement thus far is the dedication of his customer base.
Looking in from the outside I really want this project to succeed. But if I had bought in I'd be out of my mind by now.

I don't know if it's just patience per say, but I think some of us have been in the hobby long enough to know that creating a pinball machine (let a lone a company) from scratch almost always takes a lot longer than anticipated. How long did Big Bang Bar, Big Juicy Melons, or King of Diamonds take to complete?-How long has Wayne been trying to make MM in Austrailia? These took years and some of these games were just copies of existing games or didn't get produced at all. There are so many things that need to fall into place just perfectly for a game to be made on schedule. JJP is just the first of a recent group of new manufacturers where we are likely to see these types of delays. I really hope that companies such as Skit-B, Heighway, JPop, P3, Spooky, etc. will be able to keep to their original schedules for production, but chances are the majority of these will be delayed by months if not years.-It's just the nature of the beast.... It's not like these guys aren't trying to produce a game on time.

#56 11 years ago
Quoted from mattenno:

The game is shipping this month as far as we know

I just saw a distributors post saying they were having a launch party on march 23rd with jack attending so somethings shipping.

#57 11 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

I just saw a distributors post saying they were having a launch party on march 23rd with jack attending so somethings shipping.

Link good sir.

#58 11 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

This doesn't look like the kinds of change log you want to see if you think the game is going to ship with completed code in a couple weeks - from an xmen owner.

How did your X-men flip 20-25 days before it was to start shipping? Was it the same as this?

#59 11 years ago
Quoted from Hobbypinball:

My concern on Hobbit then is that its just a "re-skinned" WOZ.

It will be no more "re-skinned" than Avengers is of AC/DC. Those run on the same OS with the same backbone of software.

#60 11 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

It will be no more "re-skinned" than Avengers is of AC/DC. Those run on the same OS with the same backbone of software.

Hey I want to own hobbit like I've already got a woz coming. But no more than I'd want to own both shrek and family guy

#61 11 years ago
Quoted from Hobbypinball:

Hey I want to own hobbit like I've already got a woz coming. But no more than I'd want to own both shrek and Family Guy

Zero chance of The Hobbit having the same playfield as WOZ. ZERO. JJP would be out of business.

#62 11 years ago
Quoted from absocountry2:

How did your X-men flip 20-25 days before it was to start shipping? Was it the same as this?

Fair enough.. Only brought up xmen as someone that could relate to unfinished code. To me the amount of OS / fundamental items in that list would worry me as far as either further delays or releasing early. Like audits.. Maybe nobody uses audits, but its part of the platform.. They are likely going to use the same audit code in every game they make forward, and its pretty easy code. But to be 20 days out and not have that all buttoned up.. even if they do want to surprise owners with game features, it's hard to imagine they'd hold back audits. Now, I guess I could see them releasing without the audits done and maybe nobody would cry too much about that vs game modes.. So maybe they're being strategic. Anyway, they're not just building a game, but a platform for all future games.. Both need to get sorted.

#63 11 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Zero chance of The Hobbit having the same playfield as WOZ. ZERO. JJP would be out of business.

I agree. But if this is where woz is at then that's a lot of work to complete it and hobbit for 2014. I definitely want jack to succeed though.

If anyone has info on status of the underlying Os then chime in. If that's complete they could actually in theory be developing hobbit right now as we speak on a virtual table.

#64 11 years ago

Game code is NOT going to be "complete" upon the first game shipping. Just ask Jack and he will absolutely state as much. However, it will be a "game". If there is anyone at the front of the line for shipping that would like to wait for a later release of the software I am more than happy to take your spot and be able to play the game at home as the code evolves. Besides, as has been stated on the WOZ forum ... the mechanism JJP is putting in place for code updates is simple and "sexy". Strong hints toward internet based updates (no USB or PC needed for downloading.) The physical game is complete.

#65 11 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

Yeah, and people still think the green lucite topper is what will ship with their LEs.

Regardless of what they use as a topper, I think the game stands on it's own(aesthetically) without a topper.

#66 11 years ago

Toppers are so damn over rated Who cares what it has. What it should have is another Tv like on arcades in japan so others can watch. With a camera pointed down at pf. That would be BOSS. Would be cool if Jack could throw one in the head so one of the 1/4's could show the shots

#67 11 years ago
Quoted from AkumaZeto:

That would be BOSS.

Haven't heard that expression in years.

#68 11 years ago

Ok, new day, new developments...

The LEs crystal ball has an issue and is not working,but the standard's LE shows images of Dorothy and some clouds. It doesn't change with gameplay, but it is displaying an effect.

As for the shipping.... Word is that Keith has been given a drop dead date of March 13th on the software. For anyone that doesn't know, a drop date date is your deadline. Period.

If that's true, maybe games will trickle out soon... ?

As for the leg levelers, they aren't cranked at all. You could probably put the backs on the front and not notice any difference.

#69 11 years ago

Drop dead means, 'It'll be done now, unless it's not!'...

#70 11 years ago
Quoted from AkumaZeto:

Toppers are so damn over rated Who cares what it has. What it should have is another Tv like on arcades in japan so others can watch. With a camera pointed down at pf. That would be BOSS. Would be cool if Jack could throw one in the head so one of the 1/4's could show the shots

It would be pretty cool if the LCD showed a picture-in-picture style window, showing key shots in the game, depending on the mode your in.

I love the idea about an external display showing the playfield. That WOULD be boss!

#71 11 years ago
Quoted from MrDo:

Ok, new day, new developments...

You mentioned new animation for R E S C U E. Did you notice new music for or any sort of multiball based on the castle playfield? There has been talk here recently of Rescue Multiball and new music progress.

Also, is the GI still slowly cycling colors or does it change with gameplay or anything?

Thanks for posing these updates.

#72 11 years ago
Quoted from pinstyle:

you are probably correct. i'm not a programmer but i see how our programmers at work function, i work closely with them sometimes. sometimes they will copy and paste code into our program which are already implemented into the program in one of our other warehouses. so it's completely possible they are working on multiple sections of the code, waiting to plug them in when they are ready. i don't beleive they work in a liniar fashion when code writing.

I am a programmer and I can say that there's really no way to know where the hold up is. It could be in any number of systems.

Most likely, it's simply a sh*t-ton of work. Not only does Keith have to design and implement an entirely new OS, but a game development system and API, and then a set of rules for the particular game. All the libraries that WOZ as well as other games will use also have to be designed from the ground up, including controlling all the game hardware, doing animations, etc. It's a TON of work. I can't believe he's as far along as he is at this point. I wouldn't be surprised if it takes a few more months before there's a workable piece of game code. It's the nature of the beast given the fact that this is an all-new hardware and software system.

People are going to bitch and moan about delays, but anyone who has done these things before knows what's going on is not out of the ordinary.

#73 11 years ago
Quoted from PinballHelp:

I am a programmer and I can say that there's really no way to know where the hold up is. It could be in any number of systems.
Most likely, it's simply a sh*t-ton of work. Not only does Keith have to design and implement an entirely new OS, but a game development system and API, and then a set of rules for the particular game. All the libraries that WOZ as well as other games will use also have to be designed from the ground up, including controlling all the game hardware, doing animations, etc. It's a TON of work. I can't believe he's as far along as he is at this point. I wouldn't be surprised if it takes a few more months before there's a workable piece of game code. It's the nature of the beast given the fact that this is an all-new hardware and software system.
People are going to bitch and moan about delays, but anyone who has done these things before knows what's going on is not out of the ordinary.

This is what I have been saying. A new platform like this will take a whole lot of programming time. There is no surprise to me that this is well over budget in both time and money...

#74 11 years ago
Quoted from PinCrush:

You mentioned new animation for R E S C U E. Did you notice new music for or any sort of multiball based on the castle playfield? There has been talk here recently of Rescue Multiball and new music progress.
Also, is the GI still slowly cycling colors or does it change with gameplay or anything?
Thanks for posing these updates.

No, I didn't notice any new music tracks. In fairness, the place is pretty loud! The witch taunts you pretty often though...

Upper PF - The upper playfield allows you to pop the door open after multiple hits. Once you put a ball in the hole, nothing happens. It ejects and you resume play. No animation or anything. Just a kick out.

GI - The GI color cycles during attract mode, and looks incredible! During gameplay, the GI doesn't do much. In fact, I did hear a woman mention how dark it looked. I'm not so sure that the GI was dark, but rather that the inserts (particularly the yellow brick road) are SO bright! As mentioned earlier, the yellow brick road is not interactive. It goes through a preset effect the entire time you're playing.

Monkey - As another Pinsider noticed while watching someone play. We have seen video of the monkey capturing the ball and delivering it to the upper pf, but that function does not work on either of these machines.

#75 11 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

This is what I have been saying. A new platform like this will take a whole lot of programming time. There is no surprise to me that this is well over budget in both time and money...

I've said the same. It's one thing to write instructions for existing framework... But when you have to write the framework and THEN the custom instructions, it's a whole different story. Tons of work ...and let's not forget TESTING... It's tons of work. And that's assuming you make no errors. If a period (.) is put where a comma (,) should be it could take days to run that error down. Not easy work, at all. Even worse if you're tired or overworked.

#76 11 years ago
Quoted from MrDo:

GI - The GI color cycles during attract mode, and looks incredible! During gameplay, the GI doesn't do much. In fact, I did hear a woman mention how dark it looked. I'm not so sure that the GI was dark, but rather that the inserts (particularly the yellow brick road) are SO bright!

I've seen that effect on LED'd games when the inserts are Super or Ultrabrights...they tend to silhouette out the areas surrounding it, making the playfield look darker. Also - it's a widebody, so the GI is a bit further from the center...and are there spotlights? I forget...but those brighten up a PF nicely.

#77 11 years ago

Anybody taking some video yet?

#78 11 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

Anybody taking some video yet?

I spent 5 hours filming it Wednesday. Working on the video now while I scan pinside. Will try to post as soon as it's finished.

Two things I've noticed that are incorrect on this thread (though they may have been corrected by other posts...) The ramp is absolutely not a concern. It may have been at one point, but on the game I played it was easily accessible with a clean shot from both flippers. And I also believe the monkey did work to carry the ball. I'm pretty certain I filmed it happening and am trying to find it, because after rescuing dorothy it gave me a 2-ball multiball, and the only way that could happen is if the monkey flew it up there.

#79 11 years ago
Quoted from mhs:

I spent 5 hours filming it Wednesday. Working on the video now while I scan pinside. Will try to post as soon as it's finished.
Two things I've noticed that are incorrect on this thread (though they may have been corrected by other posts...) The ramp is absolutely not a concern. It may have been at one point, but on the game I played it was easily accessible with a clean shot from both flippers. And I also believe the monkey did work to carry the ball. I'm pretty certain I filmed it happening and am trying to find it, because after rescuing dorothy it gave me a 2-ball multiball, and the only way that could happen is if the monkey flew it up there.

Very cool. Thank you very much.

#80 11 years ago
Quoted from MrDo:

I confirmed before playing that the LE was on 58P, as stated in my original post. I did not play the standard edition with older code.

Jack said in the WOZ group: "The Green game was Gary's - the Silver game - we just built."

So... I'd probably want to play the "standard edition" to get an idea of what's actually going on mechanically (more current parts).

#81 11 years ago
Quoted from coz6:

my theory is they are where they are - nothing hidden behind the curtain. its not like any part of this project has gone good. Remember when we were told that the delays were because some part was missing from a vendor... last memorial day? Come to find out this game is barely programed - its just a case of bad project management - it happens, you learn... but as I posted in another thread I am officially in Anger mode.

I'm certainly as frustrated as any with the time it's taking. I don't agree, however, that no part of the project has gone good. There have been many pleasant surprises as developements have been annoucnced. Wide body. Clear coated playfield. Shaker motor. Anti-glare glass and so on. There are a lot of positive but I'm like a lot of the pre-order customers. I want my machine yesterday.

#82 11 years ago

I want to see a pic of the silver or regular edition

#83 11 years ago

I would be frustrated as well but I personally believe that JJP is trying to make one of the best machines of all time. This game seems to contain far more features and toys in it then any recent machine. Those new features need to be combined with a deep rule set (not seen in many recent machines) and also integrated with animations on the LCD. I believe that the wait will be worth it. How many machines have we seen over the years that have been rushed out and resulted in disappointment? I don't want to see this machine turn out to be like Pinball 2000 due to it being rushed. This machine has a chance to set a new standard for pinball and increase pinball interest to new highs. If waiting a few more weeks or months means that we get one the best pins of all time I think that's well worth the wait.

In the meantime I'll be continuing making payments on a Hobbit LE, lol.

#84 11 years ago

Just got back from the show. I wont go into details about WOZ, but it was SLOW. You could put bricks under the back legs and it 'might' speed things up a bit. IMO. On the lighter side, the pin felt solid as a rock.

#85 11 years ago

Its been less than 3 years from idea to concept. We have a high quality machine soon to be released and like all software its not complete. Loosen up. By the time the Hobbit gets here well be laughing about the impatient pinheads that thought the game would be done in a few months.Takes time, brand new game system has to go through lots of labs(UL) to get approved and yes LOTS of software for 4 people. Somebody talented should donate some time. Just imagine trying to coordinate all the sub-contractors for pieces in a brand new company. If it was that easy then wheres all those custom pins?I thought Jack said 1 game every 18-24 months. Cut him slack or well be forced to live Wheel of Fortune pins again!

#86 11 years ago

No need for anyone to worry about anything with WoZ. There was an article in Fortune Magazine recently stating that the machine is shipping in March so it must be true. It did say 2013, correct?

#87 11 years ago
Quoted from riggy469:

The fact is, we should be happy that there is another player in the Pinball world, and that we still have pinball games coming from Stern and JJP.
blockquote>

Not implying anything negative about JJP, but let's go back when the "Big 3" Were Bally, Williams and Gottlieb; There was a fourth player; Chicago Coin. They made garbage compared to the three other companies. The features were pathetic and the machines felt like they were falling apart. Examples are Gold Record, Hee Haw, Riveria, Hi Flyer, Cinema etc.

Another "player" does not always mean better things for players or operators. Back then there were no collectors except for the rare idiots such as myself who had a couple of pins in the house.

#88 11 years ago

For those complaining about performance on the green LE game (with the now defunct twister plastic)... a couple hours ago Jack posted:

"Good thing Joe looked at Gary's game....it was a very early version with mixed coils that somehow never got updated. It will be updated tonight and fully functional tomorrow.....so much for that!"

#89 11 years ago

Just met Joe at the Ohio show, cool guy, Played 4 games. Enjoyed it very much but they need to turn the points up by 100% at the end of a good round and you only score 614 points its kinda weird. I don't like the 256,000,000 scores on Sega games. I think a good round should net you a System 11 score of around 1,000,000 points. WOZ left me feeling very insecure and everyone there felt the same way.

#90 11 years ago

March 13th is less than 2 weeks away, I guess we'll see if the game's improves by leaps and bounds at that point.

I am not a WoZ project hater, I am just curious what the real scoop is. I remember last year at the Northwest Pinball and Gameroom show Jack was leaving for a family vacation to Europe, and he made a remark to the team along the lines of "and these guys will be working hard while I am gone and get this game ready to go". Fast forward several months and the game is diplayed again with code that did not appear to have progressed much.

Fast forward again 1-2 months (now in ~Dec. 2012) and you still have very basic code. Fast forward 2 months to March 1st and it still seems far from done.

Painful on all sides. I am sure everybody just wants this game to ship, but even the playfield insert lights do not appear to be functional... is that another 6 months away?

#91 11 years ago

Regardless of the level of code completion a machine should be set up in optimum form at any location its moved to for demonstration. Not setting pitch and level is just being lazy or not caring becasue it costs nothing to do correctly.

For something that is suppose to be completed and ready to ship the demo units sound shaky.

#92 11 years ago
Quoted from kporter946286:

Just met Joe at the Ohio show, cool guy, Played 4 games. Enjoyed it very much but they need to turn the points up by 100% at the end of a good round and you only score 614 points its kinda weird. I don't like the 256,000,000 scores on Sega games. I think a good round should net you a System 11 score of around 1,000,000 points. WOZ left me feeling very insecure and everyone there felt the same way.

614 points?

Seems most games at least a couple minutes long are easily in the 5 digit range, and considering how few rules there are I'm sure the average game on more featured code will end up in 6 digits, with a good game crossing into 7 (like you say you'd like).

And yeah... these poorly leveled games are starting to get very annoying to hear about. Get it right the first time, guys!

#93 11 years ago

"WOZ left me feeling very insecure and everyone there felt the same way."

Do you mean insecure because of the low score or due to your concerns the game is not performing up to what you hoped and you are insecure about it's outcome?

#94 11 years ago

He did say "Enjoyed it very much".

#95 11 years ago

Games will ship in March (2013), Period.

#96 11 years ago

I mean I played 4 games with 4 people in each game, so that's 16 games I was involved with and witnesssed and the bad ass score with multi ball was like 64,400. Don't over analyze what I am saying but what I saw was lots of drains on right lane, low scores (and I mean a good 3 minute ball play was betting 10000 points.) and balls launching on their own so it was confusing if the player before u was getting a ball save, but it was actually the game launching ur second ball for u without using plunger for no known reason. Like i said i am giving it the benefit of the doubt just reporting live feelings. I would love to fall in love with this game and maybe it needs more time? I am totally not hating. And i can't wait to try again Tom.

#97 11 years ago

Yes inscure bc of low scores with a decent ball time. Compared to other games 4 or 5 minutes nets u 500,000 points. I had a good run and needed up with like 60'000. Stern games over do it and give u a 1,000,000 for just putting a quarter in... Which I am not a fan of either.

#98 11 years ago

LOL, I hate it when games give you points before you even leave the shooter lane!

#99 11 years ago

I am using hyperbole but the point remains the same. I'd rather have JJP WOZ than the trash Stern puts out. Clip art sucks. The games feel cheap. I have not played one stern game that feels like anywhere asd good as any Williams\Bally game from the 80's or 90's. I showed up praying Tron was cool and it looked like my 8 year old daughters art project. Clip art sucks. And Stern games feel like they were made in a factory in China I will never buy one. At least WOZ with its low score and flaws feels like a real pinball game and not a Toys r us product.

#100 11 years ago
Quoted from kporter946286:

I am using hyperbole but the point remains the same. I'd rather have JJP WOZ than the trash Stern puts out. Clip art sucks. The games feel cheap. I have not played one stern game that feels like anywhere asd good as any Williams\Bally game from the 80's or 90's. I showed up praying Tron was cool and it looked like my 8 year old daughters art project. Clip art sucks. And Stern games feel like they were made in a factory in China I will never buy one. At least WOZ with its low score and flaws feels like a real pinball game and not a Toys r us product.

Are you buying a WOZLE or regular version.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 5.00
$ 85.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 29.99
Hardware
Classic Game Rooms

$ 9,800.00
Pinball Machine
Pixels Arcade Games

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA
Lighting - Led
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 24.50
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 225.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Stephenson, VA
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 16.95
9,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Santa Maria, CA
There are 492 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 10.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/woz-updates-form-ohio/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.