IMG_1138.jpg
IMG_1137.jpg
woz3.jpg
woz2.jpg
woz1.jpg
emperor.jpg
woz-score-o-matic.jpg
production_started.JPG
There are 492 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 10.
#451 11 years ago

Has anybody really SAID they WISH woz or jjp to fail? I would think not. People of course have different opinions on theme, game play, fun factor, deadlines, code, etc...like any other table...but I would think all collectors, players, and ops, HOPE they succeed for the benefit of the greater good of pinball. I hope they are very successful. Hoping they make it, and theme number 3 is an original idea.

#452 11 years ago

I know a guy that has been divorced twice and has had 3 different jobs since he put his initial deposit down on WOZ. Maybe he'll get to use the cabinet as his coffin...that's IF he doesn't die first.

#453 11 years ago

Well, check out this guy talking about a Pinside thread: http://www.aussiearcade.com.au/showthread.php/38841-Wizard-Of-OZ-Pinball-Discussions-and-Opinions?p=722635#post722635

I'm not feelin' the good vibrations!

#454 11 years ago

You have to be a member to view that forum. Can you give us a brief overview of what was said?

#455 11 years ago

Oh. Sorry.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/woz-killing-it-at-the-shark-club-in-howell-mi-hardly
Post on pinside refuting that orginal post.

That seems a more realistic thread on woz compared to the propaganda tripe you read about how great it is going to be,

My theory is the only way woz is/will be popular is from all the suckers that layed down some coin on it to keep building it up in the hope they can find another sucker to buy them out of what could be the biggest flop the pinball industry has ever seen.

#456 11 years ago
Quoted from MrDo:

...The best thing to come from this thread is that I learned that Alex is not a glory hound!
LoL

lol, I just read the last 3 pages of this thread, and couldn't find any more news on WOZ from the OH show. Just a bunch of jjp and stern haters.

#457 11 years ago
Quoted from RawleyD:

lol, I just read the last 3 pages of this thread, and couldn't find any more news on WOZ from the OH show. Just a bunch of jjp and stern haters.

The show ended over a week ago. Same software was on display in KY this weekend, but something made that particular table less reliable. (Was rebooted quite a few times and the crystal ball was broken more than it wasn't.)

#458 11 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

We see it most every day here. So it's already happening.
Where is that Transformers update ?
LTG : )

Currently being tested awaiting approval for release.

#459 11 years ago
Quoted from MrDo:

The show ended over a week ago. Same software was on display in KY this weekend, but something made that particular table less reliable. (Was rebooted quite a few times and the crystal ball was broken more than it wasn't.)

This news makes me sad

#460 11 years ago

Don't worry Alex is all over it. He'll never let the game shipped unless it's ready to go!! Thanks!!!! LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=qHej4ZqZDwo

#461 11 years ago
Quoted from MrDo:

I have noticed on mine if you are not the player on the machine its hard to see the Crystal Ball. I think this happened as the crowd was so big it was hard to get close and see. In previous conversations with JJP that is the magic of the crystal ball interacting with the player. If you want to see it play it. It will help operators make more money on locations and encourage more than single play.

I can not comment on the ones at Ohio but I only reset the machine once Sat from 2:30 to midnight. I did open it open to show paying customers who wanted to see the "guts" after all I work for them so I had to stop and let them see it. They paid me and this was the first time many had a chance to see what they had paid for. Friday was the day with the most trouble as the ball stuck on the ramp switch and was corrected and not an issue again. Sunday after 2000 balls played the right flipper started to slip and was allen wrenched tightened and not an issue afterwards. Yes it a prototype but both machines I brought and even Rocky had major play. The ACDC Pro right flipper showed it was pushed over 50,000 times this weekend. Major play action! This is the best way to test the machine and show the world, which is what i also wanted to do with ACDC Pro as its way better than given credit for. Its way better flow than the Premium and no lower playfield to get in the way with cloudy or cracking window. I sold 2 Pro and could have sold another if I had more room. Those people could have purchased a Premium but enjoyed the "Hemi Pro Ultimate Home Edition" and even saved some dollars.

#462 11 years ago
Quoted from doughslingers:

In previous conversations with JJP that is the magic of the crystal ball interacting with the player. If you want to see it play it. It will help operators make more money on locations and encourage more than single play.

Baaahaha! That's a hilarious, ridiculous spin to put on it. It's all by design to help ops make more money! That's "the magic of the crystal ball"!

Jack is an amazing salesman.

#463 11 years ago
Quoted from MrDo:

Actually WOZ was one of the most reliable games at the show in Louisville and to see the crystal ball work you had to actually play it,but there is a lot going on in the game to keep up with,Woz is a very fun game now and will only get better,by the way I played over 20 games on it during the show.

#464 11 years ago

Wow, a WOZ thread can still generate over 450 comments in a week. Impressive!

#465 11 years ago

What until they start showing up in people's homes, they might have to change the site name to WOZside!!

#466 11 years ago
Quoted from Exejet:

Don't worry Alex is all over it. He'll never let the game shipped unless it's ready to go!! Thanks!!!! LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=qHej4ZqZDwo

The funny part is, that you don't realize how ridiculous you look every time you open your mouth. Most of the time it's just to switch feet but its comical nonetheless.

#467 11 years ago

You guys are hilarious! I've played the game in all phases of development, and at nearly all of the shows. I know when the crystal ball is working and when it is not.

When I say that the one in KY was not working, what I mean is: the only image that it was displaying was a jumbled mess of static and colors. For anyone that knows what a video test/initialization screen looks like, that was it. Oddly, I heard people talking about what a cool feature the ball was while it was not functioning properly (I'm looking at YOU, Buddy!)

And yes, you had to be the player to see it. LoL.

#468 11 years ago

EDIT - If I remember correctly, the crystal ball is a self-contained media player with separate storage that will have video files triggered by the game for playback. I don't think it's actually integrated with gameplay yet, and I wonder if there was a problem with control, storage, or if it somehow got into some test mode.

#469 11 years ago

OVER clarifying because of people with agendas...

Try this: a key member of the development team (who asked not to be named on the net) is my source for most of this info (not Alex Levy). The other is personal, hands-on, experience. When I tell you that a previously-working feature was not working, it wasn't. Sorry.

It's crazy how you guys want all the most current info but ONLY if it supports how you personally feel about the game. Lovers and Haters alike.

#470 11 years ago

EDIT - Nothing to see here. Move along.

#471 11 years ago

EDIT: I love pinball.

Just sick of all the agendas.

Can we just get the game out so we can all move on already?

#472 11 years ago
Quoted from MrDo:

I don't know. I think it's only going to get worse once it's released.

#473 11 years ago

For what it's worth, I completely believe your experience of playing WOZ.

(Also, considering the utter nonsense some people spread around here as fact - certainly not saying you, but if you're in the know then you should have noticed this too - some basic fact checking is usually in order on new and unverifiable information.)

#474 11 years ago
Quoted from krupa:

I don't know. I think it's only going to get worse once it's released.

Sadly, I agree with you.

I just don't understand why some people would rather stick their head in the sand or create all these alternatives to known facts. Is it because of the $$$? The fear of being wrong?

I honestly don't get it.

In the meantime, info that I have given out has been manipulated/distorted by agendas. Silly really.

It's A GAME, people!

#475 11 years ago

I think pinball can officially be called a sport. Because only sportsfans get this riled up about a game!

#477 11 years ago
Quoted from MrDo:

EDIT: I love pinball.
Just sick of all the agendas.

Not over. Wait till the Hobbit stuff starts getting released.

#478 11 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

If you see a post from me about WOZ or JJP that you disagree with, how about responding to it with your reasons for disagreeing with it? We can discuss it.

If the point of your post was to get me to post "positive" things about WOZ or JJP, in order to prove I'm not biased, you have failed.

Rob, at this point most stuff is just personal opinion and conjecture. What makes mine any better than yours such that I should try to "correct" you? Who knows, you may be right and are certainly entitled to your opinions.

The point of my post was to simply make the observation that I can count on some of you to have a criticism or complaint when you post to a WOZ thread and that only you know what your motivation is for doing so (this was somewhat in response to your complete incredulity when TomGWI suggested you seemed to have a bias)

It was not an attempt to get you to change your posting habits to please me or anyone else.

#479 11 years ago
Quoted from Pindufus:

As a first day customer, I'm frustrated with the time it has taken. I continue to be optimistic, however, that when delivered, the machine will exceed my expectations. If not, I'll bite the bullet and sell the machine, probably for a loss. If so, I won't blame Jack but will take responsibility for my own decision to buy into this project. Even though the "I told you so" guys will have been right, I'll still have no regrets.

I understand where you guys are coming from. I just don't see any productive value in launching a public campaign to diss JJP. It would be one thing if this were game #27 and it has become obvious he is phoning things in, but it's otherwise not a big secret that he and his people are busting butt to get the game to market, and it is inevitable at this point it will be soon as there are dozens of games in places around the country at this time.

I apologize but I didn't want to get into any position trying to defend JJP. I sympathize with peoples' frustrations, but I also think a lot of the criticism isn't coming from people who have anything on the line. My frustration comes from the fact that there seems to be "sides" in the community, of people attacking each other, lining up behind one manufacturer or the other. I don't want to do that and I hope others don't as well.

#480 11 years ago
Quoted from PinballHelp:

I understand where you guys are coming from. I just don't see any productive value in launching a public campaign to diss JJP. It would be one thing if this were game #27 and it has become obvious he is phoning things in, but it's otherwise not a big secret that he and his people are busting butt to get the game to market, and it is inevitable at this point it will be soon as there are dozens of games in places around the country at this time.
I apologize but I didn't want to get into any position trying to defend JJP. I sympathize with peoples' frustrations, but I also think a lot of the criticism isn't coming from people who have anything on the line. My frustration comes from the fact that there seems to be "sides" in the community, of people attacking each other, lining up behind one manufacturer or the other. I don't want to do that and I hope others don't as well.

Help is once again the Voice of Reason. We said my friend.

#481 11 years ago

omg, reading this thread from start to finish was the biggest waste of time maybe ever for me...

i don't know why i do it to myself....
the journey was not the reward for me in this thread!

#482 11 years ago

LOL Mike

#483 11 years ago
Quoted from MrDo:

You guys are hilarious! I've played the game in all phases of development, and at nearly all of the shows. I know when the crystal ball is working and when it is not.
When I say that the one in KY was not working, what I mean is: the only image that it was displaying was a jumbled mess of static and colors. For anyone that knows what a video test/initialization screen looks like, that was it. Oddly, I heard people talking about what a cool feature the ball was while it was not functioning properly (I'm looking at YOU, Buddy!)
And yes, you had to be the player to see it. LoL.

At the risk of getting in the middle of this "Love Fest" I will say the first (and only) time I have played WOZ was this past Saturday at the Louisville show. And the crystal ball worked perfectly for me and everyone around me in line that played about the same time. I can't make any claims beyond that, but it was cool and was displaying more than a test pattern. Maybe the way they are doing it you have to be of a certain height for it to work properly.

Image was not really visible to anyone other than the player, which appears to be by design. I personally thought it was pretty neat, and the game played nice even with the early software it was running.

#484 11 years ago
Quoted from eggbert52:

I know a guy that has been divorced twice and has had 3 different jobs since he put his initial deposit down on WOZ. Maybe he'll get to use the cabinet as his coffin...that's IF he doesn't die first.

I'll bet that he likes the pre-payment plan.

#485 11 years ago

This whole thing has become very dramatic.

For you WOZ guys who shelled out money early on...did you NOT see something like this coming?

You prepaid for a promise on product that didn't even exist yet...kind of like buying a northern California bigfoot wilderness adventure. You might see bigfoot but it's really the adventure that you're paying for and.....hasn't all of this been a fun experience?

All kidding aside...don't have a heart attack before the first pop bumper even registers a hit.

#486 11 years ago
Quoted from mnpinball:

Currently being tested awaiting approval for release.

Incidently I just meant this as an example. There isn't a day go by that someone isn't complaining about Stern about something.

LTG : )

#487 11 years ago
Quoted from Hawkeyepin:

For you WOZ guys who shelled out money early on...did you NOT see something like this coming?

YUP!

#488 11 years ago

Have the boxes for woz shipping arrived at jjp yet?

#489 11 years ago

This thread has gotten out of control with some of the comments. Wow...unsubscribe.

#490 11 years ago
Quoted from dannunz:

Have the boxes for woz shipping arrived at jjp yet?

Jack said that they would be in this week.

#491 11 years ago
Quoted from PinballReviewer:

I don't like the TV thing.
I am a translite kind of guy.
Just love them and always have since playing pinball almost all my life.
To me just seems a cheap way to get away with not having to do art for a translite.
I know you can do some sort of translite art on the screen but just is not the same to me.

I think they should have done a traditional pinball machine with a translite and not gone with the flashy RGB LED's.

I find these statements odd. The LCD "just seems a cheap way to get away with not having to do art for a translite"? wow. Because a translite is SO much more expensive than a 26" LCD display with supporting video display hardware. uh-huh.

The main point is that you can do SO much more with an LCD than a low-res monochrome DMD. Like full-color video clips and hi-res animations, having all player scores visible at all times along with other stuff, real illustrated tutorials and shot/mode guides to explain the complex rules, indicators for different modes/goals visible, easy-to-use diagnostics and settings screens, etc. And the RGB lights also allow better shot illustrations and hints 9besides looking cool).

For clarity and amount/type of info displayed, LCD>>DMD>>alphanumeric>reels>bulbs behind the backglass.

#492 11 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

At the heart of most criticism is context.
-Jack claimed that Stern was making product no one wanted & he couldn't sell. Clearly that's not the case anymore...AC/DC BIB LE's and TRON LE's are sought after and people pay 10k plus for them. Even Iron Man is now being sought after & people are begging Stern to re-run it.
-Jack claimed Stern flippers can't get the ball up a ramp unless you push and beat on the game. Stern flippers are fine, yet WOZ's have been less than optimal at most show appearances.
-Jack claimed he wouldn't ship a game with unfinished code...it's starting to look highly likely that that will happen
-Jack's motto is "under promise and over deliver" ....yet nothing has been delivered yet, so...
There's just been so much fluff, and eventually some of these words and actions have become ironic or even hypocritical....it's ammo. I don't think anyone who uses that ammo (even Exejet) is just purely an evil person who is rooting for failure. I think most people feel like they were told "Stern blows, forget about them, I'm going to make the best game ever...join my wonderful club of pinball nirvana" ...that game isn't out yet, but they're having tons of fun with games like AC/DC and Tron. They've played WOZ at shows and it's don't find it to be that that fun (in its current state) compared to Stern's games which have been knocked down as horrible, undesirable, weak-flippered crap - almost in a religious proselyting fashion . So, the negative attitude is a response to the various ironies of the entire endeavor, and a backlash to the cult-like nature of the "JJP can do no wrong" cheerleaders. The extremes are clashing. Jack just really built up some insane expectations and now we're in reality-land.

Your reasoning at the end makes total sense, but I disagree with some of the context.

First point: Stern pinball is not in "high demand" anymore. It is a niche market, with only a scant few hundred of the various LEs being made/sold per title. High demand would approach the 5-10k title runs, but those days have passed. The real-world demand for new pins has fizzled, with much of it shifted from operators to the collector market, a tough market to sustain a maker of high-priced toys. And the collector interest in places like Pinsie skew the big-picture state of the world pinball market. Total sales volume matters more than anything. JJP is going for mass appeal and broader sales, with operator incentives, etc. It remains to be seen how successful that will be, of course.

Flippers? They are clearly still working n the available adjustments; seems like the early test games didn't even have adjustability. Nobody knows how the flippers will play on production machines until they ship (with sufficient control code).

Unfinished code? Yeah, I agree that the code will likely have several updates after the game ships. How unfinished will it be? Dunno, but I suspect there are more pieces done that haven't yet been implemented in the test games.

Not over-delivering? Yup, can't tell for sure until the final game is delivered. But I already see a ton of over-delivered stuff that was not promised when I bought in way back when. Stuff like a crystal ball with embedded video; full bottom rails on an easily-removeable playfield; a killer 150 wpc sound system with 7 drivers; Full-spectrum controllable LED lights for all inserts; a classy wooden apron cover; 5 flippers and a bunch of magnets; 11-ply plywood; hi-res clearcoated cabinet art; etc. Pretty sure we haven't even seen the LE topper yet. And I have no doubt that the WOZ rules will be incredible.

Yeah, I can understand why many are frustrated with the time this project is taking. But the jury is still out, and I think the game will be better than what people are expecting now.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Burlingame, CA
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 16.95
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 5.00
$ 24.50
Machine - For Sale
St. Clair Shores, MI
$ 29.99
Hardware
Classic Game Rooms

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 85.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Stephenson, VA
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Lighting - Led
Pinball Mod Co.

There are 492 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 10.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/woz-updates-form-ohio/page/10 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.