IMG_1138.jpg
IMG_1137.jpg
woz3.jpg
woz2.jpg
woz1.jpg
emperor.jpg
woz-score-o-matic.jpg
production_started.JPG
There are 492 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 10.
#1 11 years ago

Posted in a buried topic, deserves its own thread:

Still no modes.

The game plays slow (TZ slow) but the shots can be hit with a clean attempt. I can totally see why people say the ramp is tough (it can be!) but it's not totally impossible either.

The LE version is running revision 58. Supposedly it was loaded Thursday prior to the show.

Of the two machines here, one has the twister board and corresponding plastic, the other does not. The twister lights do not correspond to anything, yet.

Yellow brick road is still in attract mode (and makes playing the ball difficult at times because it is SOOOO BRIGHT).

The two new additions that I was able to find (in a few lengthy games including two multiballs) were:
R-E-S-C-U-E now has an LCD animation.
The Wizard has some LCD love including his head and a "shoot the rollovers" subtext.

The game is still pretty far away.

There is no yellow brick road progression. It shows on the LCD,but not on the pf lights. Basically none of the pf status lights correspond to anything, yet. Horse of a different color either. (See: No modes)

The castle pf let's you open the door, but the ball comes right back out. The upper pf loop still does nothing.

The O-Z rollovers register on the LCD, but not on the lighting on the actual playfield.

The crystal ball does nothing. Not even the JJP logo anymore.

The game will lock balls, but there is no memory or ball detections working. For example: I locked two balls in one game... The next game I played, all three balls were release as though I had gotten multiball on my first ramp ride. Multiball didn't start, the game just released three balls.

That's about as specific as I can recall... Pm me questions if you want me to specifically look for, or try something for you while I'm at the machine later today. I WILL NOT ask about shipping ETA. It's a dead horse.

Post edited by absocountry2 : changed form to from in title

#2 11 years ago

why would JJ put such an incomplete game at a show, so late in the game? these are supposed to ship next week.

something doesn't sound right.

#4 11 years ago

I'm with you guys on this. I expected more. This looks VERY much like what was on display in Chicago last fall.

Fans will says modes are being withheld. I can't speak to that, I can only say what's here, now. Even if modes are being withheld, there are still ALOT of ball detection and status update issues to sort out.

I didn't mention it above, but the upper pf flippers seem linked to the wrong flipper buttons. I know it's been discussed, and its still as originally config'd.

#5 11 years ago
Quoted from MrDo:

?? I can try to clarify ... What's not right?

just overall lack of code. i was expecting to hear a review of a finished game with awesome modes. just disappointed i guess.

#6 11 years ago
Quoted from MrDo:

The game plays slow (TZ slow)

Not even close. A proper setup TZ will play ALOT faster than those two games that were setup.

Those games couldn't have been more than 5.5 to 6 degrees. I think you could swap the front and rear legs and not notice any pitch change!

Has this ever been properly explained? Every single show. Every single video, the game is never setup with a typical pitch. Why is this?

#7 11 years ago
Quoted from Zaxxis:

Not even close. A proper setup TZ will play ALOT faster than those two games that were setup.

Agreed. I used TZ as the example because its a familiar game and most are NOT properly set up! LoL.

Everyone that plays mine comments on it. "You're TZ plays SO fast!"

#8 11 years ago

it has to be the flippers - if you can't get the strength then you have to reduce the pitch. The problem is the misinformation that is given. The flippers are fine - but those who have played know they are not where they should be.

#9 11 years ago

I just think they're playing their finished code "close to the vest". Maybe they want those of you who've purchased this game to experience the finished package first. So the first real "finished" game, will be when a customer receives it.

#11 11 years ago

I can respect not giving away all of the gameplay until release, but the yellow brick road still in attract mode is pathetic. I'm sure everyone expects more by now. Thanks for the info, with several programmers onboard now whats the holdup?

Quoted from Honch:

I just think their playing their finished code "close to the vest". Maybe they want those of you who've purchased this game to experience the finished package first. So the first real "finished" game, will be when a customer receives it.

#12 11 years ago
Quoted from Honch:

I just think their playing their finished code "close to the vest". Maybe they want those of you who've purchased this game to experience the finished package first. So the first real "finished" game, will be when a customer receives it.

If that is true why would Jack not come out and say that? Putting out the same test game over and over just stirs the pot and pisses buyers off. I mean, honestly.. does any buyer not feel a little bothered by this?

#13 11 years ago

I'll be glad when they finally get all the little 'bugs' out of this pin and get that code completed!

#14 11 years ago

Jack's response on JJP group:

One had older code yesterday, They both have 58p today.

Code 58P:

Some of what I know is:

- Multiball system fully implemented.

- Power options added for most coils in the game, including bumpers,
slings, flippers, and poppers.

- Started implementing audits.

- Added trough popper and auto launch coil to coil adjustments.

- Ball save options

- option to release balls held in 3 ball lock or not

- Added a bunch of shaker motor stuff. The shaker will currently go
off when hitting the castle doors, shooting the throne room popper,
going around the house upper playfield (stronger each time), and all
the ECMB lock/start animations.

#15 11 years ago

I'm just taking a shot in the dark, guys, because the reality is I think there should be more to see than that. Only Jack knows for sure. I'm just gonna pull up a seat and watch this unfold, whether it's good or bad it should be interesting.

Quoted from JoeJet:

does any buyer not feel a little bothered by this?

I would be a little concerned, only in as far as how much longer will it take to complete. This is why I would be extremely hesitant to go all in on The Hobbit. I'd really have to love a theme to be patient enough to wait years.

#16 11 years ago

Deja Vu all over again.

#17 11 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Deja Vu all over again.

Your telling me. Very Disappointed.

#18 11 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

Very Disappointed.

Not me par for the course

#19 11 years ago

That seems like it may take years! My biggest problem is that those of you that slapped down 6500 in the beginning still seem to not have a clue when your pin is coming. That is just wrong. There should be constant communications with the paid customers. Liquidated damages would of been a novel idea! If you guys don't get your pin in 2013 a refund 500 bucks!!! I still want this pin but the whole deal with schedule really isn't cool for the guys that have paid. That is a lot of money!

#20 11 years ago

All JJP needs to do is hire people that know what their doing!! The flippers aren't the problem, it's the placement of the ramp. Way to far back. The game seems far from done. IMHO

#21 11 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

Jack's response on JJP group:
One had older code yesterday, They both have 58p today.
Code 58P:
Some of what I know is:
- Multiball system fully implemented.
- Power options added for most coils in the game, including bumpers,
slings, flippers, and poppers.
- Started implementing audits.
- Added trough popper and auto launch coil to coil adjustments.
- Ball save options
- option to release balls held in 3 ball lock or not
- Added a bunch of shaker motor stuff. The shaker will currently go
off when hitting the castle doors, shooting the throne room popper,
going around the house upper playfield (stronger each time), and all
the ECMB lock/start animations.

This doesn't look like the kinds of change log you want to see if you think the game is going to ship with completed code in a couple weeks - from an xmen owner. Was that really what was on the owners forum or your summary of what you see different?

#22 11 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

This doesn't look like the kinds of change log you want to see if you think the game is going to ship with completed code in a couple weeks - from an xmen owner + software developer

I was thinking the exact same thing! If that post was supposed to be comforting in some way...it wasn't.

#23 11 years ago

I'll play it in a few more weeks at MGC. I'll see how it is for myself.

#24 11 years ago

I confirmed before playing that the LE was on 58P, as stated in my original post. I did not play the standard edition with older code.

I forgot to mention that it DID have some shaker effects.

Someone asked about TOTO rollovers. Answer: they don't register in any way. They blink with the rest of the pf status lights. (See: Attract Mode)

Multiball is "fully functional" but only if there are no balls locked during a previous game. (See above.)

I get that supporters want to believe that things are being held back. Personally, I hope that's the case. But much of the switches do not register anything. I just don't see how lighting a playfield insert when you rolled over it's corresponding switch would be "showing your hand".

#25 11 years ago

I get the holding back features maybe.. But audits (from post above)? That's more of a core framework thing (game independent) that there'd be not a good reason to hold back short of it actually being in work.

#26 11 years ago
Quoted from Exejet:

All JJP needs to do is hire people that know what their doing!! The flippers aren't the problem, it's the placement of the ramp. Way too far back ...

It shouldn't matter if it's far back. I don't have any problem hitting the Alpha ramp on STTNG, and that's about as far of a ramp shot as I can think of on any game.

#27 11 years ago

Hmmm. We have been sincerely promised pins will ship in March. Either they are coming out with very bare code or Jack has something up his sleeve. Strange one. Programming light shows should be relatively straight forward at least

#28 11 years ago
Quoted from j69:

Hmmm. We have been sincerely promised pins will ship in March. Either they are coming out with very bare code or Jack has something up his sleeve. Strange one. Programming light shows should be relatively straight forward at least

If games are shipping soon, why do they have to be secretive at this point?

#29 11 years ago

I just hope they start shipping. My regular won't show up until august anyway.

#30 11 years ago

He has said that games will ship this month so it won't be great PR if they don't.

#31 11 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

He has said that games will ship this month so it won't be great PR if they don't.

Neither will shipping it with incomplete code.

See numerous threads bashing Stern on that subject.

Also see numerous WoZ threads where people said that JJP would never release a pin with unfinished code.

#32 11 years ago
Quoted from SilverBallz:

these are supposed to ship next week

They are?

#33 11 years ago

The sky is not falling. I'm sure Keith's code on his own machine is A LOT further along than this. However, it is probably not fully tested. What is Keith to do - send out code that is farther along but may contain bugs or other issues? No, he sends out code that is tried and true, and "safe".

How far along is the code REALLY...? Nobody but Keith and his team knows, and they are pretty busy right now! Since Jack has committed to shipping the games this month, there will be a REAL game to play. However, that game will be getting enhanced over the year I am sure, because Keith and the team will make it the best game possible.

Deadlines are the bane of a software developer, but we have no choice but to live with them and produce the best product we can in the time we are given. I am sure the pressure is on to ship SOMETHING as soon as possible, and they will. How full-featured will it be? I don't know, but I am confident it will get better with time.

#34 11 years ago

There is no benifit to holding back any basic functionality. If it was complete it would be on the machines at the Ohio show. These trade shows are where companies want to show off their products building excitement and most importantly driving additional sales. For people that think they would hold back functionality to surprise people that have already paid in full at the risk of loosing new customer dollars are sadly mistaken. Business is about making a profit and every bad impression of their game has the potential to drive prospective customers to a competing product. The amount of overhead that has been accumulated since this venture has began must be astronomical, can you imagine just the payroll? these are not low wage employees and they have been getting payed for years without the benifit of any regular company profits. The pre sale dollars can't support those expenses for this period of time. So I say no way he is holding back to surprise anyone.

#35 11 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

It shouldn't matter if it's far back. I don't have any problem hitting the Alpha ramp on STTNG, and that's about as far of a ramp shot as I can think of on any game.

Ignore user...it's just a troll post. Seriously, there are a ton of games with ramps that far back. This guy loves to troll the WOZ topics and bash. That being said...the state of the code is disappointing. In the end I believe we'll get some truly awesome code, but it looks like it may be a while. Many people's patience is wearing thin in the meantime though.

#36 11 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Quoted from RobT:

Neither will shipping it with incomplete code.
See numerous threads bashing Stern on that subject.
Also see numerous WoZ threads where people said that JJP would never release a pin with unfinished code.

Bit of a sticky wicket.

#37 11 years ago
Quoted from Honch:

I just think they're playing their finished code "close to the vest". Maybe they want those of you who've purchased this game to experience the finished package first. So the first real "finished" game, will be when a customer receives it.

I don't think that's it....this is purely speculation, and I don't know jack about programming....but here's a theory. Could it be that programming all the different modes, light shows, animation, etc are "modular"? For example, maybe Keith has all these great modes programmed already - but can't implement them into the functioning gameplay code yet for one reason or another...or maybe he tried but found some structural bugs so he "placed them aside" to reprogram things so everything will work correctly and bug free? Once those things are worked out, the finished modes can then be then dropped in? I dunno...just a thought. I have to imagine he had the whole game plotted out in one way or another - it's not as though he reaches a certain point and says "OK, now I'm going to start from scratch on this mode...OK, that mode's done, now I'm starting the next one from square one".

In case that was confusing as hell...my theory is: More "pieces" are done than we've seen, but the "puzzle" just needs to be assembled.

#38 11 years ago

my theory is they are where they are - nothing hidden behind the curtain. its not like any part of this project has gone good. Remember when we were told that the delays were because some part was missing from a vendor... last memorial day? Come to find out this game is barely programed - its just a case of bad project management - it happens, you learn... but as I posted in another thread I am officially in Anger mode.

#39 11 years ago

This is disappointing. My chin is up however.

#40 11 years ago

#41 11 years ago

My money is that the code will never be 'finished' as they will have to focus on the next project to stay alive.

I hope for everyone's sake that I am wrong, but ...

Chris

#42 11 years ago

Well, I would like to see things further along, but I can wait until the game is done. I am confident WOZ will be worth the wait. No worries here.

#43 11 years ago

Not the most logical because programers have nothing to do with art and such. The next game is not due out for years - they have to simply show a playfield to get that next deposit funded.

#44 11 years ago
Quoted from TurnOne:

My money is that the code will never be 'finished' as they will have to focus on the next project to stay alive.
I hope for everyone's sake that I am wrong, but ...
Chris

The next project isn't slated to be released until the Hobbit 3 comes out in Dec 2014 so JJP needs WOZ to be complete and successful to stay alive. I believe that it will be completed and will be a incredible game, but it will likely take more time and resources than anyone has anticipated. Without a successful and "complete" WOZ there will be no 2nd game because consumer's won't have enough confidence to put money down on a 2nd or 3rd JJP title. We just need to be more patient, which is tough considering how long the wait has been up to this point!

#45 11 years ago

Not a programmer myself, but if the "game rules/modes" are that far behind, then my guess is they have much more fundamental programming issues they've been dedicating their effort to at the OS level. They are essentially focusing on the API's for the game (WOZ) needed for it to access pieces of the OS. The OS should not be unique to each game (WOZ or Hobbit). Does anyone know the status of the OS itself. It's Linux based correct? - but that doesn't say much as they could have considerable Dev/Programming work on the OS itself before ever getting to WOZ the game.

#46 11 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

The next project isn't slated to be released until the Hobbit 3 comes out in Dec 2014 so JJP needs WOZ to be complete and successful to stay alive. I believe that it will be completed and will be a incredible game, but it will likely take more time and resources than anyone has anticipated. Without a successful and "complete" WOZ there will be no 2nd game because consumer's won't have enough confidence to put money down on a 2nd or 3rd JJP title. We just need to be more patient, which is tough considering how long the wait has been up to this point!

My concern on Hobbit then is that its just a "re-skinned" WOZ. I'm fully supporting this, not bashing JJP, just thinking out lound.

#47 11 years ago
Quoted from Hobbypinball:

Not a programmer myself, but if the "game rules/modes" are that far behind, then my guess is they have much more fundamental programming issues they've been dedicating their effort to at the OS level. They are essentially focusing on the API's for the game (WOZ) needed for it to access pieces of the OS. The OS should not be unique to each game (WOZ or Hobbit). Does anyone know the status of the OS itself. It's Linux based correct? - but that doesn't say much as they could have considerable Dev/Programming work on the OS itself before ever getting to WOZ the game.

I would agree - when I was at the expo, by the end of the night the game was a bit of a mess, they had to turn it off every few minutes to fix problems on the LCD.

#48 11 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

We just need to be more patient, which is tough considering how long the wait has been up to this point!

You guys have the patience of saints. I'm not sure if Jack realizes this but JJP's greatest achievement thus far is the dedication of his customer base.

Looking in from the outside I really want this project to succeed. But if I had bought in I'd be out of my mind by now.

#49 11 years ago
Quoted from Honch:

Yeah, and people still think the green lucite topper is what will ship with their LEs.

#50 11 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I don't think that's it....this is purely speculation, and I don't know jack about programming....but here's a theory. Could it be that programming all the different modes, light shows, animation, etc are "modular"? For example, maybe Keith has all these great modes programmed already - but can't implement them into the functioning gameplay code yet for one reason or another...or maybe he tried but found some structural bugs so he "placed them aside" to reprogram things so everything will work correctly and bug free? Once those things are worked out, the finished modes can then be then dropped in? I dunno...just a thought. I have to imagine he had the whole game plotted out in one way or another - it's not as though he reaches a certain point and says "OK, now I'm going to start from scratch on this mode...OK, that mode's done, now I'm starting the next one from square one".
In case that was confusing as hell...my theory is: More "pieces" are done than we've seen, but the "puzzle" just needs to be assembled.

you are probably correct. i'm not a programmer but i see how our programmers at work function, i work closely with them sometimes. sometimes they will copy and paste code into our program which are already implemented into the program in one of our other warehouses. so it's completely possible they are working on multiple sections of the code, waiting to plug them in when they are ready. i don't beleive they work in a liniar fashion when code writing.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 345.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 91.00
Machine - For Sale
St. Clair Shores, MI
$ 16.95
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Stephenson, VA
$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

9,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Santa Maria, CA
$ 5.00
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9,800.00
Pinball Machine
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 395.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 492 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 10.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/woz-updates-form-ohio and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.