Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
7688ED4F-B1FA-4DEB-94F6-D96D85E225A4 (resized).jpeg
D4D774DF-C9C1-4DE0-961A-793CFD0094CD (resized).jpeg
69115CB4-2939-41A2-A061-A3B9A4F69965 (resized).jpeg
8CC25BD1-139A-4E51-B90D-B45F6B5A14BA (resized).jpeg
#1 2 years ago

Finally tried to install the full install on my Wizard of Oz Emerald City and now it’s stuck on this screen

8CC25BD1-139A-4E51-B90D-B45F6B5A14BA (resized).jpeg8CC25BD1-139A-4E51-B90D-B45F6B5A14BA (resized).jpeg
#2 2 years ago

That message means it can't find your hard drive (or any other boot device).
Common steps- review directions for any specific switch settings needed, contact LTG , try another USB stick

#3 2 years ago

I'm on it.

He'll update. Right now pointing to a USB stick that is bigger than the 8GB to 16GB recommended.

I hope he gets it going to start the New Year right.

LTG : )

#4 2 years ago

16g jump didn’t work. It seems to communicate and complete the full install but then when I take the USB out and turn the machine off back on I get that screen like it’s looking for a hard drive to download from how do you get into the bios software? Have a ticket with jersey Jack’s but not sure how fast they’ll respond, Probably not the best idea to finally make the jump to the full install on a holiday lol

#5 2 years ago

Not sure if this will work for you but I think I had a similar issue years back. At the time I was using the JJP recommended program to create the ISO on the thumb drive, didn't work. I ended up using Rufus below to create the ISO on the thumb drive and it worked great. You could try formatting your thumb drive and then create a new bootable thumb drive using Rufus.

https://rufus.ie/en/

#6 2 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Not sure if this will work for you but I think I had a similar issue years back. At the time I was using the JJP recommended program to create the ISO on the thumb drive, didn't work. I ended up using Rufus below to create the ISO on the thumb drive and it worked great. You could try formatting your thumb drive and then create a new bootable thumb drive using Rufus.
https://rufus.ie/en/

Thanks yeah I did that i first used their recommended software and then I went ahead and use Rufus still no dice but thanks for the help

#7 2 years ago

Good morning bump

#8 2 years ago

With my JJP pin they have there own USB that’s never had anything else on them.
It’s the only way it ever works for me.
Start with a brand new USB

#9 2 years ago

I dont have a WOZ, but i know computers. Sounds like it installed the OS back onto the USB. I would start over with a clean ISO boot USB and also check the cables on the hard drive. Unplug and re-plug in the hard drive cables both at the hard drive and where it plugs into the board. I would actually try to get the system to find the hard drive first before upgrading. Hope this helps and you get it figured out.

#10 2 years ago

Had a couple thoughts late last night.

When you do this - download update - open unetbootin and use that to put update on USB stick - game turned off plug USB stick into cable by cashbox - turn game on. Just checking if you followed those steps. You may have.

If you did all that. I wonder if your SSD is bad ? If you have one, I'd stick it in, then upload the software like a full install. See if that works.

#11 2 years ago
Quoted from megaladon:

how do you get into the bios software?

You can connect a keyboard to a USB port on the motherboard and use that to get in like you would any other computer. If the instructions aren’t in Butch Peel’s legendary manual look up the motherboard model online or post a photo showing it and we’ll help you look it up.

#12 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Had a couple thoughts late last night.
When you do this - download update - open unetbootin and use that to put update on USB stick - game turned off plug USB stick into cable by cashbox - turn game on. Just checking if you followed those steps. You may have.
If you did all that. I wonder if your SSD is bad ? If you have one, I'd stick it in, then upload the software like a full install. See if that works.

Thanks I saw your PM earlier I don’t have a solid-state drive if that’s what the SSD is. I attempted to reseat the connectors, download it on a fresh computer with a reformatted drive, not brand new, and through Rufus. Got the first image which looks like the actual hard drive on the pin? The second image shows that it failed to upload this time. I’m now attempting another install using the UT bottin way But pretty frustrating that it’s been this difficult LOL should’ve just left it alone if it ain’t broke don’t fix it just try to make it Wi-Fi capable
69115CB4-2939-41A2-A061-A3B9A4F69965 (resized).jpeg69115CB4-2939-41A2-A061-A3B9A4F69965 (resized).jpegD4D774DF-C9C1-4DE0-961A-793CFD0094CD (resized).jpegD4D774DF-C9C1-4DE0-961A-793CFD0094CD (resized).jpeg

#13 2 years ago

Someone told me to remove the little CR 2032 battery so I did and put it back in and now every time I have to turn it on I have to push that little button on the inside for it to actually start is it possible that little battery is dead?

#14 2 years ago
Quoted from megaladon:

Someone told me to remove the little CR 2032 battery so I did and put it back in and now every time I have to turn it on I have to push that little button on the inside for it to actually start is it possible that little battery is dead?

When you removed the battery you reset all the BIOS settings to their factory default. You'll have to go back into the settings and tell it to turn on after power loss again.

But to answer your question, yes. It it POSSIBLE that the battery is dead. Unlikely, but possible. Test it with your meter to find out.

#15 2 years ago

Yep still not working even after I replaced it with a brand new battery. I’m stuck

#16 2 years ago
Quoted from megaladon:

Yep still not working even after I replaced it with a brand new battery. I’m stuck

Look at page E-13 in your manual.

Ok, nevermind. E-14 says, "Note: If your game’s CPU battery discharges below 3V (or if you remove the battery) while the game is
turned off, all BIOS settings will return to factory defaults. As a result, your game will not boot properly the
next time you attempt to power it up. In this case, contact JJP® technical support for assistance in restoring
your CPU BIOS settings and getting your game to successfully boot again."

Not helpful at all.

#17 2 years ago

Update is lying to me lol, The going theory now from JJP support is that my hard drive has failed With the update. I will purchase another hard drive and hopefully that will be the solution.

7688ED4F-B1FA-4DEB-94F6-D96D85E225A4 (resized).jpeg7688ED4F-B1FA-4DEB-94F6-D96D85E225A4 (resized).jpeg
#18 2 years ago

For future people reading the motherboard is an MSI H81M-P33
You can download a manual here: https://us.msi.com/Motherboard/H81M-P33/support#down-manual
It doesn't explain in the manual exactly what the setting is to turn the game back on after power off but megaladon has some screenshots that show which one it is.

#19 2 years ago

The splash screen is the motherboard is working.

So update or SSD has the issue. ( I had one failed on DI, I stuck in a HP 120GB SSD and did the full install and worked great. Other than any settings I changed I had to change back and audits and scores etc. were gone.

#20 2 years ago

That I/O error during partclone means that either the USB stick or the SSD shit the bed and stopped responding. If you've tried different USB sticks, almost certainly the SSD is dying/dead.

Edit: Looks like the USB stick went offline based on the I/O error. Maybe try a new USB stick AND plugging straight into the motherboard, bypassing the extension cable in the cabinet.

#21 2 years ago

Hi, happy new year, this really scares me from upgrading any of my jpp pinball ( Wizard of Oz The Hobbit Pirates of the Caribbean
) even though I probably won’t resist if the Potc code ever get released. Good luck to you in your debug process

#22 2 years ago

Turns out I needed the new ssd to get my machine running after the install.

1 week later
#23 2 years ago

Oh shit!!! Sure regretting updating to 7.04 now. It was working fine on 7.02 and now it wont run. I get the JJ splash screen, and then just a constant black screen. No text or GUI...nothing.

Followed the directions to the letter. The machine the update was done and to pull the thumbdrive and restart.
Now what?

#24 2 years ago
Quoted from wrd1972_PinDoc:

Oh shit!!! Sure regretting updating to 7.04 now. It was working fine on 7.02 and now it wont run. I get the JJ splash screen, and then just a constant black screen.
Followed the directions to the letter. The machine the update was done and to pull the thumbdrive and restart.
Now what?

Assuming you're not willing/capable of pulling the SSD and verifying it's functional, step one is run the full update again.

#25 2 years ago

Oh shit!!! Sure regretting updating to 7.04 now. It was working fine on 7.02 and now it wont run. I get the JJ splash screen, and then just a constant black screen.
Followed the directions to the letter. The machine the update was done and to pull the thumbdrive and restart. You might have to replace the hard drive like I did it’s only like 30 bucks on Amazon.
Now what?

#26 2 years ago

How do I get the screen to run update again? I cant get to any screen at all. Just a solid black screen is all I see.

#27 2 years ago

Hey guys I still dont understand how to run the update again. I have a totally black screen as shown below. Where specifically do I go from here? And I can pull the drive if I need to.
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#28 2 years ago

I get the JJ splash screen, and then just a constant black screen.

I have a totally black screen as shown below.

Those are two different things.

Your pin contains a computer. That computer has a motherboard. When you turn on your pin, the motherboard does a POST- Power On Self Test. If it doesn't pass it MAY do nothing- no beep, no splash screen, just remain totally black. Or it may give some indication of the problem. Have to look up your motherboard and read the manual or ask JJP.

If it passes POST it hands off control to the boot device. That could be your SSD, a USB stick, whatever device you've chosen as your boot device. JJP might set the motherboard to check USB first and if no boot device is connected to a USB slot check the SSD. They might also set it to boot the SSD in all cases and the SSD checks to see if a USB stick is present with an update.

I would disconnect the SSD if I were you. Should get a message about no boot device found. If you don't get that message your motherboard isn't passing the Power On Self Test.

If you're getting ONLY a black screen check your video cable(s).

JJP tech support is going to be your best option. Consider the owner's thread too. Someone with a Wizard of Oz is more likely to have specific test results for you than general computer advice.

#29 2 years ago

Okay I found the full install file at their support site. Its up and running now. Thanks all.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
St. Clair Shores, MI
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 91.00
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 3.75
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Burlingame, CA
$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 395.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 16.95
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.50
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 345.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/woz-update-to-704-now-not-working?hl=apinballwiz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.