WOZ_ClearChip.jpg
WOZ_CastleVUK.jpg
WOZ_CrystalVUK.jpg
IMG_3297.jpg
image-451.jpg
image-826.jpg
IMG_4065.jpg
IMG_4058.jpg
There are 130 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 10 years ago

To my surprise, after only 250 plays or so my Throne Room hole has severely chipped. I do not have a Cliffy on it but the chips did not start where a Cliffy would protect the hole. Anyone else's look like this? I'm adding up a few layers of clear to stop any wear hopefully, then adding mylar as best as I can around the hole once the clear cures enough.

IMG_4065.jpgIMG_4065.jpg

While performing the minor teardown to clear the area around the hole for repair, I found that I cannot remove the plastic with Toto and the Wizard on it without using a pin extractor! The wires are on quick disconnects beneath the playfield but they are too large to fit through the hole. WTF? What's the point of the connectors if you can't remove the wires from the playfield?

IMG_4058.jpgIMG_4058.jpg

#2 10 years ago

That's kinda weird about the connector. I agree, whats the point. Does the blue wire connector fit through the hole? Is this isolated to this hole or does it appear throughout the machine?

#3 10 years ago

Blue wire connector is the same 3-pin connector so no. I haven't torn down much else on the game but I know I had a similar issue trying to take out the plastic ramp. The OZ lane light plastic had no disconnect on it and thus could not be left on the ramp when removing the ramp from the game.

#4 10 years ago

You need a molex pin extractor tool, they sell them at radio shack

#5 10 years ago

Yes, I have one but my point was why should I have to use it to remove something that should be easily removable. Very odd design decision.

#6 10 years ago

Have you contacted JJP? They should do something for you that should not happen.

#7 10 years ago

I've already been "compensated" plenty for other issues I had upon delivery and I don't expect anything for the chipping at this point. I'm simply putting it out there to see if anyone else has the same chipping upon inspection and to warn those without any about it.

#8 10 years ago

A square quick connect and a round hole.....amazing.

#9 10 years ago

Not ideal with the connector but no different to having to desolder wires on any other pinball

#10 10 years ago

To me, that looks like a design flaw on JJP's part.

That hole should have been slotted.

I wonder is the cliffy protector would have helped prevent the clear coat from chipping.

#11 10 years ago

I swear WOZ is horrible to work on. It was not built for maintenance. Such is pin #1 you will have problems here and there.

#12 10 years ago

CA glue time.

#13 10 years ago

Dang - that hole is banged up...... Wonder why the rest of the playfield doesn't do that....
I hope having a cliffy installed will maybe cause the ball to "hop" when flying in there and prevent the ball from smacking the side of the hole. I remember Cliff saying the rounded holes would hold up against wear, but apparently not the clear. Hope Cliff sees this and reconsiders his protector design.

#14 10 years ago

It looks like the Cliffy would help a lot since you have damage on the top surface that works its way down the hole from the crushing force at the top.

#15 10 years ago

I'm sure the Cliffy would help a bit but not completely. When I first saw this I noticed it was the clear over the edge of the hole that has started the chipping. You can see it on the left side of the hole where the clear has not chipped on top but has cracked over the edge of the hole.

#16 10 years ago

The throne room hole seems really tight! when the ball dropped into it on my WOZ it was such a close fit the ball (for lack of a better description) would vibrate as it dropped into the hole.

#17 10 years ago

I've seen that same clear coat cracking on my buds WoZ. Too bad, but not surprising. That hole takes a beating. Look at most TOTANs.
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://www.Team-EM.com
http://webpages.charter.net/chibler/Pinball/index.htm
http://www.PinWiki.com - The new place for pinball repair info

#18 10 years ago

You're gonna have wear and tear no matter what.

#19 10 years ago

Hmmm. I was the tester for Cliff,& don't recall having that connector problem when tearing down the throne room.

#20 10 years ago
Quoted from Breadfan:

Hmmm. I was the tester for Cliff,& don't recall having that connector problem when tearing down the throne room.

How's your throne hole

#21 10 years ago

The throne hole is tight (lol) and I tried finding where cliffy meantions the fact that the hole walls are vertical as apposed to and angle ala TOTAN saucer. Cliffy mentioned that this design of a straight up and down hole lends itself to damage more so than one with eased edges.

#22 10 years ago
Quoted from mountaingamer:

How's your throne hole

Quoted from Skins:

The throne hole is tight

nice

#23 10 years ago

I have the same chipping but more so on my wizard kick out hole. I will clear coat to help just like you.
What type of clear coat are you guys using? Is one better than another?

#24 10 years ago
Quoted from Breadfan:

OP; What is your game's build date? maybe this has been changed.

#25 10 years ago

My build date is 11/18/2013

#26 10 years ago

early adopter issues!

#27 10 years ago

That really isn't too bad compared to the one at CP where there is paint chipped off around the hole in two spots (black circle). Chuck bought a set of Cliffy's since and just needs time to install them.

#28 10 years ago
Quoted from Skulz:

That really isn't too bad compared to the one at CP where there is paint chipped off around the hole in two spots (black circle). Chuck bought a set of Cliffy's since and just needs time to install them.

When bad things happen to Chuck it makes me sad

I swore Jack said his games wouldn't need cliffy's due to magnificent design but I'm not 100%

#29 10 years ago

Clearly we are in the presents of a Double Entendre Master.

Very very funny. Thanks VID1900.

#30 10 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

When bad things happen to Chuck it makes me sad
I swore Jack said his games wouldn't need cliffy's due to magnificent design but I'm not 100%

Yup, he spoke about the clearcoat being the latest and greatest....yikes!

#31 10 years ago

It's not like JJP has some secret formula for magic clear coat.

It's a pinball machine, it's going to wear.

#32 10 years ago

Steel ball bearing Vs Clear coat.
I will bet on the ball every-time.

Now how they terminated that quick connect is interesting logic.

#33 10 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

It's not like JJP has some secret formula for magic clear coat.
It's a pinball machine, it's going to wear.

Agreed

I bought a beautiful HUO almost unplayed TSPP. A month later my I&S saucer looked like the OP's Throne room saucer So I bought a protector & put a stop to that shit.

It's weird how I can see a routed TSPP with a bajillion plays that has no I&S wear but my unplayed game becomes a victim. I would bet this throne room saucer will be the same way. Some will have it, some won't. I wonder if some PF's have a more crisp defined edge along the saucer & that's why they wear faster?

#34 10 years ago

All I can ask is that the dozens of preorder fanboys that were bragging how WoZ would be the best built, highest quality pin ever apologize to those of us who questioned how in the world they could claim that prior to a production game ever being delivered. They have been proven wrong.

I was chastized for questioning their claims of greatness. Plus, whenever I or anyone pointed out inconsistencies in any JJP hype, we were chased away with pitchforks.

The threats of legal action were priceless.

#35 10 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

image-826.jpgimage-826.jpg

#36 10 years ago

image-451.jpgimage-451.jpg

#37 10 years ago

Oops - those weren't pitchforks

#38 10 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

All I can ask is that the dozens of preorder fanboys that were bragging how WoZ would be the best built, highest quality pin ever apologize to those of us who questioned how in the world they could claim that prior to a production game ever being delivered. They have been proven wrong.
I was chastized for questioning their claims of greatness. Plus, whenever I or anyone pointed out inconsistencies in any JJP hype, we were chased away with pitchforks.

Exactly!

Fanboys really don't get that you don't have to HATE something to be able to see obvious flaws and/or question inconsistencies. Of course we don't WANT anyone to have damage/delays/defects, but we wouldn't be a community if we didn't discuss them.

#39 10 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

The real joke is the fanbois bragged about quality before machine one was ever done. They had no reference to even make such a claim. But many of them still defend against reality. God love them, everyone has to have a hobby.

#40 10 years ago

I hear the WOZ clearcoat was going to chip pinballs lol

#41 10 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

I hear the WOZ clearcoat was going to chip pinballs lol

Ah, that's how my balls got tore up....

#42 10 years ago

Anybody seen Panzer?

#43 10 years ago
Quoted from cal50:

A square quick connect and a round hole.....amazing.

I found an example of that on my Williams Roller Games the other day. I sat there for some time trying to figure out how I could be looking at it wrong. Reminded me of those brain teaser puzzles.

#44 10 years ago

I would hope they might send you a replacement mini-playfield, but not my call.

I have seen this happen on other games, and it is a clear coat failure.

Maybe that area still had dust, or other, that the clear did not lock into the wood.
Maybe the wood on the Throne room hole was a little "moist"

Would the UV cured product work faster and better?
There is the thread on insert usage.

#45 10 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I would hope they might send you a replacement mini-playfield, but not my call.
I have seen this happen on other games, and it is a clear coat failure.
Maybe that area still had dust, or other, that the clear did not lock into the wood.
Maybe the wood on the Throne room hole was a little "moist"
Would the UV cured product work faster and better?
There is the thread on insert usage.

If I were jack, I'd roll my eyes at all the nit picking. Games get worn down, clearcoat isn't forever. If you guys don't want your games to wear down, take out the balls.

#46 10 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

If I were jack, I'd roll my eyes at all the nit picking. Games get worn down, clearcoat isn't forever. If you guys don't want your games to wear down, take out the balls.

At 250 plays? I don't think so. On a route for a while, maybe.

#47 10 years ago
Quoted from Lonzo:

A nicked ball could do that in 20 plays.

#48 10 years ago

man, that's rough. hope their next pin doesn't show abuse that quick.
i've got routed pins that are decades old that don't do that.

#49 10 years ago
Quoted from Lonzo:

I don't think there is an acceptable number for you guys. 250, 500? where does it end?

#50 10 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

Maybe Jack shouldn't have worked so hard in the early days to make people think his games would walk on water. Yes, clearcoat is not forever and JJP did not invent a magic new formula.

As for the connector problem, this is simply poor quality control. Whether they installed the wrong parts, ran out of the correct parts and had to knowingly substitute, or it is simply a poor design; it all falls under "quality". The materials/BOM of any product are only the tip of the iceberg when it comes to quality.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 16.95
$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 91.00
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 345.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 85.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 24.50
$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA
9,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Santa Maria, CA
$ 29.99
Hardware
Classic Game Rooms

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 9,800.00
Pinball Machine
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Other
RavSpec

There are 130 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/woz-throne-room-clear-chipping-connector-fun and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.