oz_wingmonk.gif
8194a3cc8170ad295300d4c7e4fc73e0.jpg
Crystal_ball_#3.JPG
Crystal_ball_#2.JPG
Crystal_ball_#1.JPG
615318_511493142202620_240889210_o.jpg
281156_511493845535883_529747192_o.jpg
Thedude.gif
There are 244 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 5.
#101 11 years ago

Oh, man...I'm close on pullin' the trigger on this....

oz_wingmonk.gifoz_wingmonk.gif

#102 11 years ago

The attention to detail is to be applauded by all whether you like the theme or not. Instead of leaving it to the aftermarket to mod, they said nope - let's add the cool factor right in there.

I'm impressed at all the little details being cared for in this game design. Looking like well worth the wait. Hoping this continues to raise the bar for the industry to beat.

#103 11 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Oh, man...I'm close on pullin' the trigger on this....

Buy Gorilla out. You'll both be happy you did!

#104 11 years ago
Quoted from badbilly27:

The attention to detail is to be applauded by all whether you like the theme or not. [] Instead of leaving it to the aftermarket to mod, they said nope - let's add the cool factor right in there.

Agreed. Very cool feature makes me excited to see what they can do in the future with a different theme. Great addition to throw in there at the end to keep all the buyers excited about the pin. Well played JJP, well played.

#105 11 years ago
Quoted from RGR:

Have a look at the amount of effort he goes to promoting this game.. The carpet is great and 8 games. Well done. How good is JJ for pinball...

Jack is a hustler. No question. I'd love to see his business plan and see what he sees.

#106 11 years ago
Quoted from flashinstinct:

Stern better watch out. This guy knows what he is doing and he's about to take a big chunk out of there market.

+1 to that !

JJP is in a class of their own .
Exactly how Jack wanted it .

#107 11 years ago
Quoted from fattrain:

Now everyone watch as all the people who sold their pre-orders go out and buy a regular edition after the fact....

Not me.

#108 11 years ago
Quoted from txstargazer3:

Buy Gorilla out. You'll both be happy you did!

I PM'd him...

#109 11 years ago

I heard about a guy that did this type of a mod on his LOTR.. In the Palantir ball he has the movie LOTR playing...

#110 11 years ago

I sold my preorder and don't regret it a bit. I am here to support pinball, and most of all Jack, but WOZ? No. Sorry. Sour grapes? Not at all. I just can't get past this theme. And if Hobbits next, I'll hope to purchase #3.

#111 11 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Cuz of the crystal ball? It's really cool looking, but unless the other toys are changed, the layout is changed, ramps are added, or the flipper strength is finally proven to be stronger...I have no regrets.

Wait...now you have a problem with the layout and one ramp? I thought you were the one saying its just like TSPP with a second mini PF and that it was a good thing because TSPP is so fun? Flipper strength, eh...fine, but don't you think it will be fixed by release? And if not, install LOTR coils from PBL... By the way, what 'other' toys need changed? Just curious.

Back to the topic...it looks freaking amazing!

#112 11 years ago
Quoted from hank35:

I just can't get past this theme.

Really? I hadn't heard that anyone had a problem with this theme before.

Some people prefer a great playing game over a great theme. However, I won't argue that a great theme never hurts.

The crystal ball is as cool of a toy yet seen on a pinball machine. The game appears quite impressive.

#113 11 years ago

Jack just posted that WOZ won the Brass Ring Award at IAAPA for the Best New Product! I think the praise for this innovative pin is well deserved and will continue to roll in in the coming weeks.

#115 11 years ago

Jack just posted that WOZ won the Brass Ring Award at IAAPA for the Best New Product! I think the praise for this innovative pin is well deserved and will continue to roll in in the coming weeks.

"Honorable Mention"

#116 11 years ago

It's cool but i wonder how fragile it is?

#117 11 years ago

Bulletproof glass...

#118 11 years ago

Well, I guess the crystal ball in Pinball Magic has officially been topped.

#119 11 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

I dunno, I think the animatronic band in the more expensive ACDC LE was way cooler....

Man, you never stop with the Stern hate do you? Just can't help yourself can you?

Pappy

#120 11 years ago
Quoted from Fatsquatch:

Well, I guess the crystal ball in Pinball Magic has officially been topped.

Haha, yes I thought about that earlier. PM's crystal ball is awesome. But this? Wow! But seriously, PM was 16+ years ago!! That ball should've been topped a decade ago! Apart from P2k, pinball's evolution nearly stopped for 20 years! It's finally waking up again...

For the millionth but not last time, "Thank you Jack!"

#121 11 years ago
Quoted from PappyBoyington:

Man, you never stop with the Stern hate do you?

Anyone who praises WPT as much as StevenP cannot be labeled a stern hater.

#122 11 years ago

The Crystal Ball looks great. I had to bail on my ECLE preorder due to financial issues (made a bit easier by not being enamoured by the art direction) but this makes me excited for the full release again. I fully expect picking one up at some point in the next year or so.

Is there any video footage yet of the latest build? It already sounds different from that JJP released clip.

#123 11 years ago

Every release of additional info , makes me want it more. I appreciate each of the pins , in my collection, but this is in a class by itself. Hats off to Jack for what hs is achieving!

#124 11 years ago
Quoted from PappyBoyington:

Man, you never stop with the Stern hate do you? Just can't help yourself can you?
Pappy

I don't hate Stern. Some of my all-time favorite games are by Stern. (I own 2 now, along with a Sega and 2 DE, out of about 10 games total.) I do detest their LE "scare the market into buying by creating artificial scarcity and jacking up prices" marketing strategy. And I will continue to criticize it.

Part of the reason behind my comment was that I just played ACDC LE in league last night (haven't seen one in a while) and again I was struck by how cheeeeezy the animatronic band toy is! The WOZ crystal ball simply blows away any Stern toy of recent memory. I hope WOZ ships soon so that Stern will *have* to get back in touch with reality, by improving their product and/or lowering their prices to reasonable value.

And, on-topic, I had hoped for a long time that the crystal ball would shoe some images; the actual fully-animated ball surpasses my hopes. It looks seriously cool.

#125 11 years ago
Quoted from hank35:

I sold my preorder and don't regret it a bit. I am here to support pinball, and most of all Jack, but WOZ? No. Sorry. Sour grapes? Not at all. I just can't get past this theme. And if Hobbits next, I'll hope to purchase #3.

Change your quote...I didn't say that.

#126 11 years ago

It will be the topper for the Hobbit

#127 11 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Wait...now you have a problem with the layout and one ramp? I thought you were the one saying its just like TSPP with a second mini PF and that it was a good thing because TSPP is so fun? Flipper strength, eh...fine, but don't you think it will be fixed by release? And if not, install LOTR coils from PBL... By the way, what 'other' toys need changed? Just curious.
Back to the topic...it looks freaking amazing!

I was being optimistic, and then I played it...just does not have the "life" that TSPP has, IMO. I've never been a WOZ theme basher, but perhaps that has something to do with it at the end of the day I have more connection to TSPP and LOTR than WOZ. I hope the flipper strength gets fixed but as I posted before - I was extremely turned off about how defensive Jack & the die-hard supporters got about it. One day it's "Stern flippers suck and we're using Williams parts" and the next it was "Eeeeh, waddooyawant, you can hit the ramp!" I think I got flashbacks to a STTNG I bought off Ebay back in my newb days...from New Jersey...lol. It was advertised as HUO and mint...and when I got it, it was a piece of crap reimport with a billion problems and hacks. When I called the seller, he was all "Eeeh, waddooyawant, you got a workin' game, c'mon!"

Anyway...I don't think the spinning house PF seemed that fun, and it seems like there's still trouble getting the witch's feet gag to work. I don't think the castle playfield seems that fun. I don't like how there's just a kickout saucer behind the two doors. I don't really get the point of the Monkey bringing the ball up and the small door opening to release the ball to the upper PF,when the VUK essentially does the same thing. I thought the Monkey was gonna lock balls behind the 2 castle doors which would come out after bashing the doors. The witch is just an up/down bust. I was more impressed with the conceptual reveal mechanism where she melted into her clothes.

Now who knows, maybe I'll decide I want it again in the future...for now, I've lost interest in waiting and didn't really enjoy the experience of it at PPE. There will be plenty of these around, so I'm not worried if I decide I want one in the future. I hope everyone who gets one loves it!

#128 11 years ago

Talk about taking it to another level...............It still needs to play good.

#129 11 years ago

Sh**'s just got real.

#130 11 years ago

I don't want to make this into a Stern v JJP thead at all, but just looking at my Tron and the arcade cabinet that it comes with. I mean Tron is a GREAT game, but that arcade must have cost about five bucks to make, while this ball on the other hand is impressive. I believe the Tron arcade mod (I have on the way) will be great, but it goes to show that JJP is putting quality hardware in this game.

tron.jpgtron.jpg

#131 11 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I'm certainly not looking forward to it.

I am enjoying your former TOTAN but I am not sure if it was the long drive and I am certain my 300 pound frame didnt help but your was very hard to move out of that basement, probably my hardest ever since 1988. I can only remember doing a jukebox that was tougher but it was so worth it to me. Hope we didnt damage your floor anymore and hope to get an invite back next year at Expo!

#132 11 years ago

that is pretty awesome. I still don't want a WOZ, but makes me look more forward to his next title.

#133 11 years ago

i think it is safe to say that this machine is turning into one hell of a bargain. for the early adopters in at 6500, this is quite the deal.

just my guess, but i wouldn't doubt an online component down the road for woz and all future games from jjp.

looks like the water is getting hotter by the day...very good for pinball!

#134 11 years ago
Quoted from vex:

i think it is safe to say that this machine is turning into one hell of a bargain. for the early adopters in at 6500, this is quite the deal.
just my guess, but i wouldn't doubt an online component down the road for woz and all future games from jjp.
looks like the water is getting hotter by the day...very good for pinball!

Compared to X-men this looks much more impressive at the same cost.

#135 11 years ago

Not a fan of the theme and not a WOZ buyer but that is pretty damn cool.

#136 11 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I was being optimistic, and then I played it...just does not have the "life" that TSPP has, IMO. I've never been a WOZ theme basher, but perhaps that has something to do with it at the end of the day I have more connection to TSPP and LOTR than WOZ. I hope the flipper strength gets fixed but as I posted before - I was extremely turned off about how defensive Jack & the die-hard supporters got about it. One day it's "Stern flippers suck and we're using Williams parts" and the next it was "Eeeeh, waddooyawant, you can hit the ramp!" I think I got flashbacks to a STTNG I bought off Ebay back in my newb days...from New Jersey...lol. It was advertised as HUO and mint...and when I got it, it was a piece of crap reimport with a billion problems and hacks. When I called the seller, he was all "Eeeh, waddooyawant, you got a workin' game, c'mon!"

Anyway...I don't think the spinning house PF seemed that fun, and it seems like there's still trouble getting the witch's feet gag to work. I don't think the castle playfield seems that fun. I don't like how there's just a kickout saucer behind the two doors. I don't really get the point of the Monkey bringing the ball up and the small door opening to release the ball to the upper PF,when the VUK essentially does the same thing. I thought the Monkey was gonna lock balls behind the 2 castle doors which would come out after bashing the doors. The witch is just an up/down bust. I was more impressed with the conceptual reveal mechanism where she melted into her clothes.

Now who knows, maybe I'll decide I want it again in the future...for now, I've lost interest in waiting and didn't really enjoy the experience of it at PPE. There will be plenty of these around, so I'm not worried if I decide I want one in the future. I hope everyone who gets one loves it!

Ok, now I'm still in on WOZ (and plan to stay in), enjoy the theme, and think its a beautiful looking game with great attention to detail. Still excited! BUT, I have to agree with Rarehero points. You nailed my concerns on the head. The only difference is to me it is TSPP on steriods - I'm not a big fan for TSPP gameplay. Still optimistic after I played it at Expo and confidence in the team, I just can't pass up the wonderful toys and want to support this endeavor.

#137 11 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

I don't hate Stern. Some of my all-time favorite games are by Stern. (I own 2 now, along with a Sega and 2 DE, out of about 10 games total.) I do detest their LE "scare the market into buying by creating artificial scarcity and jacking up prices" marketing strategy. And I will continue to criticize it.
Part of the reason behind my comment was that I just played ACDC LE in league last night (haven't seen one in a while) and again I was struck by how cheeeeezy the animatronic band toy is! The WOZ crystal ball simply blows away any Stern toy of recent memory. I hope WOZ ships soon so that Stern will *have* to get back in touch with reality, by improving their product and/or lowering their prices to reasonable value.
And, on-topic, I had hoped for a long time that the crystal ball would shoe some images; the actual fully-animated ball surpasses my hopes. It looks seriously cool.

I'm in the same camp as you when it comes to Stern. I own an AC/DC premium and not only is the band toy cheesy, the cheap washers/pins that hold the band members come off and end up on my PF! So, it's both cheesy and cheap...if the pin were 4-5k, I'd cut them more slack. At 6-7k, it's just a slap in the face (along with the awful inefficient speakers). So glad I "invested" in JJP/WOZ...

#138 11 years ago

Fantastic work JJP!

This will be so cool... in 2014

All jokes aside this crystal ball feature was unexpected & a huge leap from the crystal ball on my LOTR.

Hopefully Stern makes higher quality games now & JJP fixes their weak flippers. Then life will be great for us pinballers.

#139 11 years ago

I can already see the LOTR mods coming out with the eye of sauron moving around in the orb.

#140 11 years ago
Quoted from Borygard:

Very cool! Still hate that friggin topper though.
--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics
http://LockWhenLit.com
Quality Board Work - In Home Service
314-766-4587

The topper is pretty fugly.
Its crying for a full beer bottle impact....

Not a big fan of the theme but the machine does have some neat toys and features.

#141 11 years ago

Topper has to go.

#142 11 years ago
Quoted from B9:

The following information was sent out from JJP this morning
» YouTube video
In actual game play the Crystal Ball will show custom video animation rendered specifically for the size screen and appropriate reward rule and reward.
So in effect, our game does not have one monitor but two!

Not a WOZ fan but very cool.

Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I can already see the LOTR mods coming out with the eye of sauron moving around in the orb.

Great idea!

#143 11 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Somebody should come up with an eye of Sauron OLED mod for the top of the Barad Dur Tower rather than the palantir.

#144 11 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

Topper has to go.

There should still be more to see with the LE topper. It is supposed to have some "interactive" features so hopefully at a minimum it will have a cool light show. If the final product topper sucks then I am sure we can all get a good one made up by Laseriffic.

#145 11 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Thank you for your endorsement, I think

#146 11 years ago

I have no interest in owning this game and the ball doesn't change my mind but I will say it is very cool.

#147 11 years ago

I hope WOZ ships soon so that Stern will *have* to get back in touch with reality, by improving their product and/or lowering their prices to reasonable value.

Stern will never step up and build a game on the same level as Jack. When Jacks second game comes out my one and only Stern, SM, is bye bye.

#148 11 years ago

Back when the pre-order price first came out I thought it was crazy but seeing the things the people at JJP are doing with WOZ and the way pin prices have climbed over the past two years, I think this game was very nicely priced.

Kudos to the team for coming up with some cool ideas and being able to implement them in a pinball machine.

#149 11 years ago

Well after a long wait I got to play woz today at Iaapa. I am not biased either was as I own and play anything that is fun.

My own personal opinion is that this game is not as big of a leap in gameplay nor a game changer as lots of people think. The new LCD crystal ball was terrible resolution and you could not make out anything on the ball unless you look really close. It is just a small little screen up against he back of the ball - not really revolutionary at all, but if the resolution was better, it might be a bit better. But honestly, its really not that noticeable or a game changer.

Physical game play was nothing out of the ordinary regardless of the state of the software.

Game seemed like slope was alright but due to its width it felt like a bit of a chore to play.

Backglass LCD seemed way too large and when you looked up, seemed not to be able to glance at what you wanted because it was too big. I believe small LCD display slightly larger than current 128x32 is perfect.

Cabinet looked great, and I tried it with headphones it really did sound great.

bottom line, imo, this will not be a game changer for pinball. I hope he sells a ton, because it is great for pinball, but its not as big of a deal as lots of these people think it might be.

I mean no offence, but this is a completely unbiased opinion on my first play and view. I'll try it again over the next few days to see if I can warm up to it.

And yes, I understand it is still not complete and being worked on....

#150 11 years ago
Quoted from chill:

I think this game was very nicely priced. Kudos to the team for coming up with some cool ideas and being able to implement them in a pinball machine.

+1.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 85.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 24.50
10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

13,000 (OBO)
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 225.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 91.00
$ 99.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 16.95
Flipper Parts
FlipMods

Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Stephenson, VA
$ 5.00
11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Burlingame, CA
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 345.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 244 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/woz-the-crystal-ball-revealed/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.