Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Pinchroma
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

Now that The Hobbit is coming together and Pat Lawlor is building a new game I am thinking it is getting a lot more likely that I will want to purchase a JJ pin in the future - the build quality of the mechs is obviously good but I was wondering if the PC boot system is reliable.

So my question to those who have owned a WOZ for a few months - do you find any boot up or software glitches that you do not get on normal board mounted pinball machine? If so are they frequent? How easy are they to fix?

#2 9 years ago

I owned mine a year. Didn't have 1 boot up problem

#3 9 years ago

Mine works every time.

#4 9 years ago

No trouble in over a year

#5 9 years ago

was one of the first to receive the machine and no problems with it so far. With the release of 4.0 it is the last machine that I would sell.

#6 9 years ago

Can't say that there are no problems. What I will say is that they are rare and you can just power cycle to correct. Mine was a later build (Nov/2013) but I have had the following:
1 - Turn it on, it boots up, but no sound at all. Restart fixes it.
2 - Turn it on, it boots up, but you get an OLED error on the crystal ball instead of an image. Restart fixes it.

All connections are correct and tight and again, both issues are fixed with a restart. So I wouldn't say there are no issues, what I'll say is that are extremely minor.

#7 9 years ago

The pc components were selected specifically with reliability and compatibility in mind. At any time, and PC based motherboard and CPU combo will work should years from now you need to replace it.

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from toro1966:

Can't say that there are no problems. What I will say is that they are rare and you can just power cycle to correct. Mine was a later build (Nov/2013) but I have had the following:
1 - Turn it on, it boots up, but no sound at all. Restart fixes it.
2 - Turn it on, it boots up, but you get an OLED error on the crystal ball instead of an image. Restart fixes it.
All connections are correct and tight and again, both issues are fixed with a restart. So I wouldn't say there are no issues, what I'll say is that are extremely minor.

Neither of those are due to the PC components though as per OP's question. Are you running 4.0? The sound issue was fixed.

#9 9 years ago

I've had mine about 10 months, and it runs fine. But that isn't really your question. You want to know long term. The PC motherboard will be cheaper and easier to replace than a CPU board in a WPC game. It's also less expensive than an Alltek board. So even if something does go wrong, the generic gear they used inside will be easy to replace.

You could by replacement parts for the entire computer system from Amazon. All of the software (Operating System and the entire game) is in the download. So even though it is a reliable system, it is also maintainable into the future.

#10 9 years ago

^^^ exactly how I designed it to be

#11 9 years ago

Thanks for the feedback - it sounds like the availability of replacement parts trumps any glitches with the PC OS. Good to know the platform is solid for future games.

#12 9 years ago

14 months now, never an issue with the PC.

2 weeks later
#13 9 years ago

Same here. 14 months with zero problems with the PC.

#14 9 years ago

Thanks

#15 9 years ago

Lol, if Jjp ever went out if Buisness Pinnovators will do like lockwhenlit does for pin2k and rerun and source every board in the system for replacements... So ur good either way long term lol

#16 9 years ago

But don't worry I'll never get to make that money

#17 9 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

But don't worry I'll never get to make that money

I don't think you will be able to source the motherboard. MSI may take issue with that LOL!

#18 9 years ago

Lol doesn't mean I can stock pile a few boxes of them

#19 9 years ago

Hahah have at it Lorenzo. I'll even get you the MFR part number and the custom bios file HAH.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 85.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 29.99
Hardware
Classic Game Rooms

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

11,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Spokane Valley, WA
$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA
$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

9,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Santa Maria, CA
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 5.00
$ 16.95
$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Burlingame, CA
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9,800.00
Pinball Machine
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 225.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/woz-system-reliability and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.