Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 57 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by PinMonk
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20200629_213138 (resized).jpg
    FE76FCEC-0996-4FDC-A269-A44D69D2BA7B (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rts.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 3 years ago

Game has been idle for a couple of months while waiting for a new crystal ball display. Game worked when last shut down.

Just turned on the game. Appeared to boot up normally and go into attract mode. New crystal ball display didn't light up, but all playfield lights look normal and lcd monitor in the head cycles normally for game over attract mode.

The start button light is out and and pushing it will not start a game. The diagnostic buttons inside the door don't work either. Game is stuck in attract mode. Rebooted a couple of times to no avail.

Is this some fuse issue? I checked under the hood and I see nothing out of place. Led's at all fuses are lit. All connectors are attached.

What might be the culprit here?

#5 3 years ago

I appreciate all thr responses.

Quoted from Phatchit:

Maybe a ground wire somewhere came off on that line leading to those buttons when installing the new crystal ball . Is the plug on the new display plugged in ok . I’ve missed 1 pin before and maybe that is the reason the other switches are not working. I could be completely off though.

The game will work without the cb display. The display will only go one way. I think the cb display is unrelated. It wasn't working before but i could still start a game and get into diagnostics.

Quoted from Nokoro:

Looking at mine, there appears to be a molex connector joining the start, coin door, and test button wires with another connector. Did it come loose? Even if not, try reseating it.
    EDIT: It doesn’t appear the start button goes through the same connector, but I would still try reseating all related connectors in that area. I haven’t looked at the matrix, but it could be they share a common row or column.

Rechecked all connectors and they're tight. The coin mech lights are illuminated so pretty sure power is there. I can test with a DMM.

Quoted from PinMonk:

If you rest the playfield on the front of the machine (life and pull the playfield slightly forward and up) and close the coin door, can you start a game?

The answer is no. I saw you had a similar issue with v 5.05. I am running the latest software. I am slightly suspicious that the game is not completely booting before it shows attract mode. Not real sure.

I recall Lloyd showing a way to short the cpu to boot the game. Not sure if that would be applicable here or if it would cause bigger problems.

Apparently getting stuck in attract mode was a previous software issue that was fixed several versions ago.

#8 3 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

Re-check all USB connections (unplug and re-plug). There are some on the back of the motherboard and a couple on the power board right side towards the front of the case on the right.

I did. They were never removed so I don't really know how they could be loose. Game just won't cooperate.

I thought to check behind the backglass for no useful reason but that damn thing is wedged shut.

Sometimes this game can really suck. I'll be calling JJP tomorrow but their help desk hasn't been as good since Frank left.

#12 3 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

You could try doing a full update again since that happens automatically at boot and should bypass whatever issue this is. That way if it's some kind of corruption of files, it should be fixed and you're back in business today.
    And yes, losing Frank was a major loss for JJP. He was GREAT in tech support. Loved that guy. They've lost two greats (Frank and Butch) and picked up one (Barry).

I'll give a full update a try.

#13 3 years ago

Just a follow up. It wasn't able to reinstall the current code. JJP Support said it wouldn't update to the current code if the current code was already installed, so nothing happened there.

JJP took me through the same old troubleshooting of unplugging and replugging connectors until nothing changed and the case was escalated.

#18 3 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

If you put a new SSD in there, then do a full install.
    That would help you sort out if the SSD is the issue, or the motherboard locked up.
    LTG : )

JJP Support said it wouldn't boot. And it didn't.

But the reason could be due to some other problem. I can't use any diagnostic buttons to navigate on the screen if it did boot.

I am still working with JJP support. We found a 1 amp fuse that was bad and I'm trying to find a replacement. I hope that's the issue.

20200629_213138 (resized).jpg20200629_213138 (resized).jpg
    #22 3 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

When you work with JJP, run this by them. If that fuse is F1 or F2 on the I/O board. Is so, it should be a 2 amp 32 volt fuse. On pages D-169 and D-170 in the manual that you can download.
    F1 is 12V for matrixed switches F2 is 5V for I/O board logic.
    I didn't see a 1 amp blade fuse on those pages.

Good eye Lloyd. It's F1

It is a 1 amp but they specifically said to bump it to 2 amp when I replace it. This is an early model ECLE.

#23 3 years ago

So the 2 amp fuse did not solve the problem. Further diagnostics found voltage levels too low on the I/O board, and too high on the sound board. Awaiting further instructions on how to proceed from JJP.

#25 3 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

Wow, this is a crazy one. Sounds like maybe a bad power supply.

This game has had one thing or another keeping it on hold since January. New playfield, new 2.0 light boards. New crystal ball display. And possibly new circuit boards.

The cabinet is still original however.

#26 3 years ago

I'm not making much progress with JJP support.

The help desk doesn't know what to do and is waiting for answers from other engineers at the company. No timetable.

This department is definitely struggling. The primary troubleshooting advice has been to check all connectors. Then check voltage. After that, we hit a dead end.

#28 3 years ago
    Quoted from BC_Gambit:

Sorry did you do a full playfield swap then start having more problems?
    Lots can get shaken out over time after such a big project....

Playfield swap was years ago. Worked very well afterwards.

2.0 lighting upgrade was just a few months ago but had no problems booting or playing games after the upgrade. The playfield inserts all work perfectly now still. Game looks like a normal game in attract mode.

The one difference when i boot up the game is it never does the device test showing the witch and monkey before it settles into the game over / attract mode.

#30 3 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

I'd swap in a different computer ATX power supply and see if that fixes it. Easy swap, and you're back in business if it works. The atx power supplies in these 2013 WoZ units are pretty cheapo ones. Seven years is probably past its life expectancy.

Can't i just test the voltage output? The game had spent 95% of its life turned off.

1 week later
    #36 3 years ago

Here is the latest on my machine.

JJP has requested that I send in the I/O board for diagnostics and necessary repairs.

I'll report back on the progress. I've been warned it could be another couple of weeks.

1 month later
    #38 3 years ago
    Quoted from crashnt20:

rts any update on your issue? I have exactly the same issue. It has sat idle until today and now it is doing the exact same thing as yours.

I have been dealing with JJP over this issue for way too long.

After futile troubleshooting over the phone, JJP requested that I send in my I/O board. They've had it over a month, and I was just told last week that they never tested my board, but sent me a new board which I have not received yet.

There's no guaranty the new board will resolve the problem since they never confirmed anything specific had failed on my board.

So, the short answer is, I'm still working with JJP and waiting to get my game working again.

#39 3 years ago

The replacement board arrived. JJP said my original I/O board was fine (nothing tested out of ther ordinary.)

So I called and got the okay to plug in the replacement board and when I turned on the power, instant burning smell and the cabinet filled with smoke. I feel the troubleshooting is haphazard and random. No true progress.

It's worse than before. Fuck this game. The technical support has been less than stellar. 6 weeks waiting for the replacement board was a complete time waste.

#43 3 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

It may not help. I am truly sorry the way this has gone.
    Maybe give Jack a call ?

I've thought about calling Jack, but Jim in tech support is still trying to work through it with me. It's just taken way too long and it feels like there's been no progress. I'm losing confidence.

Quoted from PinMonk:

Losing Frank for support was really bad.

Totally agree. Frank was awesome. Troubleshooting was always organized and methodical.

Quoted from Nokoro:

Sorry to hear about your woes. Now that something smoked, check all the boards over for a burnt chip. If you pinpoint the problem, that may help remedy it.

I'll confirm with Jim at JJP tomorrow. Maybe it'll help locate the problem. My old board didn't fail like this and I suspect the damage is on this replacement I/O board.

This replacement board was someone else's refurbished board; it wasn't a new board. .

#45 3 years ago

Just got off a call with JJP. The new thinking is that my hard drive is bad.

I will be sending my original hard drive and purchasing a replacement. I will also be sending in the replacement I/O board that fried immediately after powering on the game and hopefully get back my original working I/O board.

It will be a bit longer to see if replacing these items will get the game working again.

1 month later
    #47 3 years ago

Here's the 3 month update on my Woz.

Game is still dead, but I've got Barry working with me now and I'm feeling more confident it will get fixed

Apparently there was a recent staff change in tech support.

#50 3 years ago
    Quoted from crashnt20:

I am excited that yours is getting fixed and its good to hear that they had a staff change at JJP. I have been emailing and calling them for the past month and have not received a call back or email back from them. What do they think is the final problem?

Honestly, I'm basically starting all over.

I received my original I/O board back after it was determined there was nothing wrong with it. I got a new hard drive, but I'm working with Barry now and he wants to get back to my original starting point.

I will report back next week after we check everything again. He suggested it could be something as simple as a bad connector. This whole thing has been the worst troubleshooting experience since I've been in this hobby. But Im still positive the game will get fixed.

#52 3 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

And even if it doesn't I have 5 crisp $20 bills waiting here to help you get over it, and I'll even haul it away!

If I can't get it fixed, I'm planning to get buried in it.

I've upgraded the light boards to 2.0, I've swapped the original chipping Bader pf with a pristine Kruzman cc playfield, and I've got it modded to the hilt. I'm in too deep.

#55 3 years ago

Game is finally working agaiin and ultimately it was just a connector.

I think the problem in troubleshooting stemmed from multiple iterations of boards which sent me down a rabbit hole due to an inexperienced tech. The IO board was never the problem.

Barry immediately knew the source of the problem, but had to send me off to Ken who was more knowledgeable on the specific board on my early run game.

My game uses a 10 pin connector with a splitter, and one end remains loose. Newer games use mini usb to regular USB to connect the IO board to motherboard.

JJP offered to send me a free GnR SE for my troubles. Just kidding about that - but Barry and Ken were quick to get things right. Having the right guys in tech support is crucial.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rts.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/woz-stuck-in-attract-mode-?tu=rts and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.