Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Snailman
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

I've been playing the WoZ at the arcade exclusively since we got it months ago, and it has taken me that long to understand some of the finer points of the rules and piece together a primitive high-score strategy. I'm surprised there isn't a rule-sheet of some sort in public yet, since knowing what is possible and what to shoot for is as important as making shots in this game.

Having a detailed description of the features would help us plan out games, since for the most part modes and multiballs stack in any order leaving it up to the player how to proceed. Anyway, here is my modest contribution towards our collective high score efforts:

- I usually forgo a skill shot for the full plunge at the winged monkey targets and progress towards a haunted collect. The flat amount of points for a successful skill shot isn't much, so take whatever shot will safely get you what you need, whether it's into the pops, a shot at the witch or a soft plunge to try and get a lit 'L' to light a crystal ball multiball.

-I put a lot of emphasis on collecting Haunted modes, as the few times I've gotten to Haunted Multiball it was quite lucrative and seems to stack right along with everything else. At times the incentive is to time out some of these modes to progress through them more safely; you'd rather be closer to Haunted Multiball than have and possibly extend the mode. For me the right way to start the game is winged monkey hits, haunted mode collect, capture dorothy, start castle multiball and then try and start another haunted mode during multiball. If you get really good at two-ball play I suppose you could cycle modes by trapping both balls and timing them out.

-Castle multiball is probably the best way to start a big stack/series of modes and multiballs. My approach is to be patient and take edge-of-the-flipper shots into the R and E targets, which usually safely bounces back to the flipper or off the opposite side of standups and then onto the flipper. At no point do I directly aim for the C-U-E bank of targets or else it drains on me. I believe to start the third and later multiballs it takes two hits each to the RESCUE targets so better to be good at not draining than sniping individual targets.

-Every machine is different but on ours it's much safer to hit the drop target from a left flipper ball hold than a right. This leads me to just transfer via the ramp into a left flipper shot when I have the ball held on the right flipper and want to hit the drop target. Especially if this nets me a scarecrow rollover or YBR trip I need.

#2 9 years ago

ba bump

#3 9 years ago

I play with the ball save on. No way I pass up an easy 5k witch skill shot. The winged monkey targets are gonna happen anyway as I advance to 10 ybr (ramp/orbit) to get the extra ball.

#4 9 years ago

I almost always go for the witch skill shot. Decent amount of points and starts the witch hurry up. I will go for the haunted collect full plunge if it's lit. I usually try to get the winged monkey next as rescue multiball is usually the hardest for me to start. Crystal ball modes, castle multiball and spinning house usually just happen in the course of play.

#5 9 years ago

There are rumors of a tutorial coming from Bowen/PAPA "soon", so that may answer your rulesheet jones. I'd assume that pinballnews will also appear one sometime.

You are aware that the upper playfield loop spots RESCUE targets, yes? I find this much easier than shooting the standups under most circumstances.

I think part of the reason a formal written rulesheet hasn't been made is that the instant info is really good: it might not have the point values of everything, but it does have the modes and so on all mapped out.

#6 9 years ago

Make sure to take advantage of the new feature where you can kill the pops when a Haunted mode is lit by holding both flippers. Haunted MB stacked in with 2X/3X from a Crystal Ball MB seems to be the highest scoring opportunity in the game right now. It can be absolutely massive if you keep it running for a decent amount of time. It becomes pretty game-breaking if you manage to have Rescue MB or EC MB ready to go when you start the CB/Haunted MB stack, as you can effectively use those multiballs as a ball saver / add-a-ball for the CB/Haunted stack, extending the amount of time you spend in the stack. Sure, it's fairly difficult to start Rescue during another multiball, but if you save it until AFTER the CB/Haunted stack starts, that's an extra ball save that you wouldn't get otherwise. Another critical thing to do is to learn the "A" crystal ball skill shot. If you're playing in tournament mode, this is important because it will allow you to reach Flipper Frenzy much more easily than if you had to bash on the targets to start the fourth and fifth CB MBs.

I plan on recording a tutorial video in the near future with a thorough breakdown of the best ways to play the game for score (in my opinion and experience) and the best ways to shoot for Somewhere Over The Rainbow. I am tempted to write up a rulesheet at some point but I would rather wait until it becomes clear that no more significant balance changing rule updates are going to be released.

1 month later
#7 9 years ago
Quoted from KevinDDR:

I plan on recording a tutorial video in the near future with a thorough breakdown of the best ways to play the game for score (in my opinion and experience) and the best ways to shoot for Somewhere Over The Rainbow. I am tempted to write up a rulesheet at some point but I would rather wait until it becomes clear that no more significant balance changing rule updates are going to be released.

Bumping in the hopes that there's still some interest in a tutorial video or someone showing off their high score strategy. I am tempted to make a WoZ 4.0 rulesheet and player's guide if no-one else is going to do it. Then it will get all of 10 replies and 100 views while the shipping drama thread and the take-a-shit-on-JJP thread reaches ten million replies combined

#8 9 years ago

This is a video of v3.0 getting to melt the witch if it helps

#9 9 years ago

There is a flow sheet out there too that can help. Geremy13 posted about it recently.

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from KevinDDR:

I plan on recording a tutorial video in the near future with a thorough breakdown of the best ways to play the game for score (in my opinion and experience) and the best ways to shoot for Somewhere Over The Rainbow.

I would be delighted to see that. I am definitely a visual learner. I pick up rules far more quickly when watching them in use along with suitable commentary.

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from generica:

- I usually forgo a skill shot for the full plunge at the winged monkey targets and progress towards a haunted collect. The flat amount of points for a successful skill shot isn't much, so take whatever shot will safely get you what you need, whether it's into the pops, a shot at the witch or a soft plunge to try and get a lit 'L' to light a crystal ball multiball.

The lit BALL insert >>is<< a Skill Shot. If the BALL skill shot isn't lit for either "L," then I forego the first skill shot opportunity on ball 1 to get the winged monkey targets during ball 1 ball-save period. But expert tourneys played on WOZ should turn off the ball-save during the beginning of each ball, imho.

Quoted from generica:

At times the incentive is to time out some of these modes to progress through them more safely; you'd rather be closer to Haunted Multiball than have and possibly extend the mode.

If you're in the midst of an active Haunted mode, do pop hits during this time not count toward qualifying your next Haunted Mode? (I haven't tried this yet)

Quoted from generica:

-Castle multiball is probably the best way to start a big stack/series of modes and multiballs. My approach is to be patient and take edge-of-the-flipper shots into the R and E targets, which usually safely bounces back to the flipper or off the opposite side of standups and then onto the flipper. At no point do I directly aim for the C-U-E bank of targets or else it drains on me.

Shooting the "Search" loop spots your next RESCUE letter (or partial letter if you're trying to get RMB #2, 3, etc), and I prefer it to any direct shots to targets.

Quoted from generica:

-Every machine is different but on ours it's much safer to hit the drop target from a left flipper ball hold than a right. This leads me to just transfer via the ramp into a left flipper shot when I have the ball held on the right flipper and want to hit the drop target. Especially if this nets me a scarecrow rollover or YBR trip I need.

With the way Pinballz WOZ is set up, due to having the center post and not having a hair-trigger tilt, I don't have issues with the Winkie guard target return from either flipper.
Once again, for any serious tourney, the center post needs to be removed, and tilt set tight -- but not so tight that you can't upward nudge and slap the right side.

#12 9 years ago

Can somebody explain what the gems and horse of different colors do ?

#13 9 years ago

gems are lit up for certain modes such as fireball frenzy that indicate they are shots to be made. The HOADC inserts are for a "bonus" game within the game in which the player attempts to collect certain horse color patterns and then collects by hitting the collect shot behind the upper right flipper. Not enough going on in the game so they threw in a HOADC to scramble the last braincell not dealing with the stacks and RGB lights blowing up. Not a game for the weak minded.

#14 9 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

Not enough going on in the game so they threw in a HOADC to scramble the last braincell not dealing with the stacks and RGB lights blowing up.

lol. This.
Not to mention that the HOADC collect shot should be renamed HOA Draining Color.

#15 9 years ago
Quoted from Snailman:

lol. This.
Not to mention that the HOADC collect shot should be renamed HOA Draining Color.

OK. HOADC is much improved now in 4.0:
- Well-integrated (conceptually) into other elements via the Munchkin multiplier. I'd argue that it may be buggy based on what I experienced, but if it's working, there's now a definite value to paying attention to your horses, and shooting HOADC collect in order to up your Munchkin multiplier.

- Speaking of paying attention to your horses, you can now see where you stand on horses ALL THE TIME. Make a world of difference.

I like it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 5.00
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 55.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
St. Clair Shores, MI
$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 85.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 91.00
$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

11,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Spokane Valley, WA
$ 9,800.00
Pinball Machine
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 225.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Other
RavSpec

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Stephenson, VA
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/woz-strategy-wheres-the-rulesheet and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.