• Topic is favorited by 35 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4260 (resized).JPG
IMG_0968 (resized).JPG
6084314bf18212715fdcc3c5c43e40e8 (resized).jpg

There are 79 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 7 years ago

I wanted to get a strategy thread going for Wizard of Oz. I've found these threads to be very helpful for me with other games.

To me, it seems like there are two ways to play WOZ, and they are not mutually exclusive: for points or for the quest.

When I play for points, I try to stack modes to maximize value. My favorite thing to do is to get the twister ready to start Munchkin Frenzy while also having it on the last lock to start ECMB. I start the multiball, try to hit the first ball up into the twister, ignore the other balls for the moment (there is a ball save for a while), and hit the munchkin loops to start Munchkin Frenzy. The points you get from Munchkin Frenzy when all switch hits score big points during a MB can be pretty insane. I also try to start a crystal ball mode at the same time for 2x scoring. Most times, this doesn't work out for me, but I have been able to get this trifecta a bunch, and it is really exhilarating and lucrative.

As for playing for the quest, I've been pretty good at advancing myself to the witch battle. I've melted the witch a few times, but it is still a rare event. One thing I haven't been able to do, and it seems incredibly difficult, is finish Rescue MB. I'm curious how many people have done this and what tips they have.

I'll post back with some other thoughts, but I would love to hear from others about how they play and what strategies they follow.

#2 7 years ago

Gonna need to brush up on the WOZ guide, I just try and do the crystal ball mode with a multiball.

#3 7 years ago

You've got the basic strategy down for points and quest. I've owned WOZ for two years now and have only finished rescue multiball once. So it will certainly never be common. If you start the rescue first and then stack ECMB on that as well as 2x scoring you'll be on your way to big points. Later in the game when you have the haunted multiball ready to start start another multiball to stack with it. SOTR is only reachable for the experts. Mainly because the fireball frenzy mode and rescue multiball are so difficult to complete. I always find a game with a witch melt and four other gems to be quite epic. In the home environment it's the type of game you can have a 20 minute ball followed by a couple of 20 second ones

#4 7 years ago

I've just been playing for points so far, not nearly good enough to embark on the quest yet, although I did complete rescue multiball by accident once. Had stacked munchkin mode, ECMB and then triggerd a crystal ball topped with rescue multiball then by some miracle mananaged to complete it. That one ball scored more points than most of my average games in a day combined lol.

Lately though my scores are tanking... I think because I started trying to focus more bulding my skill in single areas. Its going to be a loooong time until I feel like I've mastered this game, at this point I feel I may never get all the way there.

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from Jamie126:

Later in the game when you have the haunted multiball ready to start start another multiball to stack with it.

I've gotten Haunted MB a few times. A couple of times, I squandered it. But, a few times, I've stacked it with other MBs and crystal ball modes. You can really get some incredible points from it.

Just curious but what do people do on the plunge? I usually go for the bumpers to try to start the Haunted modes and progress through them. If I already have a Haunted mode going and lock a ball, then I will go for the witch skill shot on the plunge to start the witch hurry-up. I rarely go for the other two skill shots. They are too risky and very difficult to make.

Quoted from merccat:

I did complete rescue multiball by accident once. Had stacked munchkin mode, ECMB and then triggerd a crystal ball topped with rescue multiball then by some miracle mananaged to complete it. That one ball scored more points than most of my average games in a day combined lol.

Wow! That's pretty good. One problem for me in completing Rescue multiball is I think the switches on the castle playfield should be gapped a bit closer -- especially the "e" on the right. I've moved it a bit myself, but I think I would have to take off the castle playfield to get at it better, which I'm reluctant to do because it seems like a pain. I can start Rescue MB easily enough by getting loops and shots behind the door, but I think in order to complete it, you have to be able to individually nail the targets.

#6 7 years ago

I don't think that you shot the targets to complete rescue MB. You need to hit the six shots on the main playfield three times each. When you hear the triple jackpot call out you'll know you've completed that one shot. I think it lights a letter red on the castle playfield

#7 7 years ago

I thought once the castle letters were lit flashing red, you had to hit them all to make them solid red and then bash the door for the Mega Jackpot. Am I wrong?

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

I thought once the castle letters were lit flashing red, you had to hit them all to make them solid red and then bash the door for the Mega Jackpot. Am I wrong?

As 3x are scored a rescue letter on the upper pf will light blinking. You need to hit it to make it solid. You have to light all 6 rescue letters solid and then hit the upper pf loop and then go immediately through the castle doors to get the mega.

#9 7 years ago

Huh, not sure that I did then. Got the Mega Jackpot and I seem to remember some sort of callout along the lines of Dorothy being rescued while the rescue mode seemed to end while I was still in multiball... but there was so much happening I can't say I kept track of the exact sequence of things. I wonder if it would be in audits.

#10 7 years ago

Boy I wish those could be searched or sorted other than by date. Anyway, I'm pretty sure I found the game. Rescue Multiball with ECMB with Fireball frenzy with Crystal Ball. But no event listed for Rescue MB win so maybe the CB was a lights out and overrode the Rescue lights... or maybe I had a beer or two in me by then too lol.

#11 7 years ago

I'm pretty sure I've completed it, since I've heard triple jackpot tons, and mega jackpot quite a bit .... or is there a mega jackpot available with ECMB? I don't think there is??

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from tiesmasc:

As 3x are scored a rescue letter on the upper pf will light blinking. You need to hit it to make it solid. You have to light all 6 rescue letters solid and then hit the upper pf loop and then go immediately through the castle doors to get the mega.

Rescue MB saves your progress from each attempt, right? It seems like maybe I could complete it, if I got there 4-5 times.

#13 7 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

Rescue MB saves your progress from each attempt, right? It seems like maybe I could complete it, if I got there 4-5 times.

Yes it saves any 3x you've completed (blinking letters) and any letters you lit solid. But when you restart it all jackpots start at 1x... so if something was at 2x you don't keep that.

Also if you go for a super jackpot it resets the jackpots to 1x as well. Strategy wise that is one reason I avoid super jackpots and focus on the mega...

Also strategy wise I like to get more balls in play during rescue by building them up before I start... or combining with ecmb. And I prefer to avoid crystal ball modes when trying to get the mega S they make it more difficult.

#14 7 years ago
Quoted from tiesmasc:

Also strategy wise I like to get more balls in play during rescue by building them up before I start...

I need to do this more. I usually try to start it right away because I'm trying to progress to the witch. But, I should take my time and build up the locks. I will probably have a better chance of success that way.

#15 7 years ago

Since we are talking about rescue multiball, has anyone had to adjust the switches for the individual letters? The foam on mine is really stiff and it's almost impossible to light the letters individually. I have to do the loops.

#16 7 years ago
Quoted from tiesmasc:

Yes it saves any 3x you've completed (blinking letters) and any letters you lit solid. But when you restart it all jackpots start at 1x... so if something was at 2x you don't keep that.
Also if you go for a super jackpot it resets the jackpots to 1x as well. Strategy wise that is one reason I avoid super jackpots and focus on the mega...
Also strategy wise I like to get more balls in play during rescue by building them up before I start... or combining with ecmb. And I prefer to avoid crystal ball modes when trying to get the mega S they make it more difficult.

Good point about avoiding CB modes, you really need the lights to track progress and no hold flippers will make it impossible to achieve.

#17 7 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Good point about avoiding CB modes, you really need the lights to track progress and no hold flippers will make it impossible to achieve.

I actually have got a mega with no hold flippers... really surprised myself... and haven't had a game like that in a long time. I basically tried to always shoot a ball up towards the OZ lanes and then have another ball active on the castle playfield.

Regarding lights out or lights on... both really mess with Rescue Multiball... but only in the sense of knowing where you are towards the Mega (or super) Jackpots. But... you can still know what 3x you've collected by looking at the screen and seeing all shots at "--" instead 1x, 2x, or 3x. And you can tell if you've qualified the mega... basically you hit the loop on the upper playfield and if the doors unlatch (slightly open I think?) you can shot directly into and past the doors for the mega... but if they don't unlatch... and you hit the door you'll get a super jackpot. Then you know to keep hitting the rescue letters and try it again (and again and again) until you get the RESCUE letters you need.

Another strategy I have towards the mega is to only have 0 or 1 balls locked towards ECMB. Then during rescue it seems like I light the other locks (hopefully not before I've collected 3x at the ramp) and then if I need to add balls I can add in the ECMB to keep progressing in rescue multiball.

#18 7 years ago

My overall strategy to get to SOTR is something like the below... it ends up being a lot of overlapping goals that you have to on the fly prioritize... This strategy does not focus on points as it actively avoids having 3 (or 4) multiballs going simultaneously...

1. Generally go for the witch skill shot to progress towards Fireball Frenzy... (I do this b/c I find that it usually takes me 2 or 3 FF to complete it). I also avoid having multiballs active during Fireball Frenzy... so won't start it unless I need >2 locks for ECMB or the crystal ball multiball needs >2 letters yet... Note that when you do collect the 10th fireball frenzy jackpot you get a lit extra ball so that really helps extend your progress towards SOTR.
2. Whenever twister is lit... go for it to progress towards munchkin multiball
(but I don't actively try to light it... just let it happen)
3. I always try to get the 10 Yellow Brick Roads for the extra ball as early as possible in the game...
While doing this you will light the lock for rescue multiball and also get a ball locked on the castle playfield.
4. I don't every try to start ECMB... but when the locks are lit I do lock and then play the multiball. During this MB I like to trap up and get the jewel. I also don't mind having this multiball overlap with a crystal ball multiball as generally the screen prompts and callouts are sufficient to know where you are towards getting the gifts.
5. During the above I mix in playing the castle playfield and trying to maximize rescue locks so when I play rescue multiball it is with 4 or 5 balls instead of just 2. Also, as previously discussed, I avoid overlapping rescue multiball with a crystal ball multiball. To that extend if I'm going for rescue multiball before I start it I will actually shoot to start a crystal ball multiball... and play that out or let it drain before then starting rescue multiball. Of special note... it is important to get a mega jackpot on your first or second rescue multiball as they get harder and harder to start...
6. If you go that far you should by now be ready to melt the witch... I never worry about getting all the shots as any 4 will do. When possible I trap up and then just hit 3 or 4 repeatable shots and they go to melt the witch.
7. I also do play HOADC to try and get the extra ball from a successful collection of 5 horses... primarily b/c I find that extra ball is beneficial. [Also, from a points perspective getting HOADC on balls where I play a munchkin mode is very beneficial... but I don't prioritize that over other progress.]
8. I tend to not focus on 50 YBRs... they just happen to come naturally... or if they are the last jewel I need then I focus on them. Though most often it seems that the Mega Jackpot or the Fireball Frenzy are what I complete last.
9. I rarely try to actively pursue haunted forest awards... they tend to light during normal play... and then I try to collect them.

I'm sure I missed some nuances... but those are some of my thoughts.

#20 7 years ago
Quoted from tiesmasc:

My overall strategy to get to SOTR is something like the below... it ends up being a lot of overlapping goals that you have to on the fly prioritize... This strategy does not focus on points as it actively avoids having 3 (or 4) multiballs going simultaneously...
1. Generally go for the witch skill shot to progress towards Fireball Frenzy... (I do this b/c I find that it usually takes me 2 or 3 FF to complete it). I also avoid having multiballs active during Fireball Frenzy... so won't start it unless I need >2 locks for ECMB or the crystal ball multiball needs >2 letters yet... Note that when you do collect the 10th fireball frenzy jackpot you get a lit extra ball so that really helps extend your progress towards SOTR.
2. Whenever twister is lit... go for it to progress towards munchkin multiball
(but I don't actively try to light it... just let it happen)
3. I always try to get the 10 Yellow Brick Roads for the extra ball as early as possible in the game...
While doing this you will light the lock for rescue multiball and also get a ball locked on the castle playfield.
4. I don't every try to start ECMB... but when the locks are lit I do lock and then play the multiball. During this MB I like to trap up and get the jewel. I also don't mind having this multiball overlap with a crystal ball multiball as generally the screen prompts and callouts are sufficient to know where you are towards getting the gifts.
5. During the above I mix in playing the castle playfield and trying to maximize rescue locks so when I play rescue multiball it is with 4 or 5 balls instead of just 2. Also, as previously discussed, I avoid overlapping rescue multiball with a crystal ball multiball. To that extend if I'm going for rescue multiball before I start it I will actually shoot to start a crystal ball multiball... and play that out or let it drain before then starting rescue multiball. Of special note... it is important to get a mega jackpot on your first or second rescue multiball as they get harder and harder to start...
6. If you go that far you should by now be ready to melt the witch... I never worry about getting all the shots as any 4 will do. When possible I trap up and then just hit 3 or 4 repeatable shots and they go to melt the witch.
7. I also do play HOADC to try and get the extra ball from a successful collection of 5 horses... primarily b/c I find that extra ball is beneficial. [Also, from a points perspective getting HOADC on balls where I play a munchkin mode is very beneficial... but I don't prioritize that over other progress.]
8. I tend to not focus on 50 YBRs... they just happen to come naturally... or if they are the last jewel I need then I focus on them. Though most often it seems that the Mega Jackpot or the Fireball Frenzy are what I complete last.
9. I rarely try to actively pursue haunted forest awards... they tend to light during normal play... and then I try to collect them.
I'm sure I missed some nuances... but those are some of my thoughts.

Nice! How often do you make it to SOTR? I don't think I'll ever see it, but that's cool with me. I'll always have something to shoot for.

1 week later
#21 7 years ago

I'm finding that if I can stack munchkin frenzy with anything, it is almost always worthwhile for me. Welcome to munchkinland is ok. Lollipop lullaby, I just don't get and hardly get any points for it. Can someone explain lollipop lullaby and whether there is a way to maximize points on it?

#22 7 years ago

Shoot the flashing shots in LL to increase the value on each shot, with no cap that I've found. Shoot a white shot and your shot value resets so avoid at all costs. I've gotten 100k+ out of the mode pre-horse multiplier with the Glinda time extension.

#23 7 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

Nice! How often do you make it to SOTR? I don't think I'll ever see it, but that's cool with me. I'll always have something to shoot for.

Rarely... I've made it 3 or 4 times over the last 10 months (since I purchased it). Been 1 jewel away probably another 4-5 times. I find that getting the extra balls is critical for going deep.

Also for 2 of those times it was with a game with only about a 6.5 degree slope (in maybe the first 3 months). That really helped me learn the game but I've since jacked it up to make it more difficult. My slope is now 7 to 7.2 degrees IIRC and all settings are at default except my outlanes are moved in, I have a 5 second ballsaver at the start of each ball, and replay awards extra ball. I'm certain that if everything was at defaults I'd have only gotten there at most 1x... but I like to see more of the game and also want my wife and children to have fun playing the game... it especially makes me happy when I find out she has played the game on her own which happens more often that I ever thought it would.

At the end of the day I can't compare my making it to SOTR versus someone who left their game at strict defaults b/c I know this was set up easier... but that doesn't make it any less fun. And honestly if it starts getting "easy" then I'll just make it more difficult again.

#24 7 years ago
Quoted from iepinball:

Shoot the flashing shots in LL to increase the value on each shot, with no cap that I've found. Shoot a white shot and your shot value resets so avoid at all costs. I've gotten 100k+ out of the mode pre-horse multiplier with the Glinda time extension.

Thanks! That's helpful. I believe the flashing shots lessen in number the more you hit, is that right?

Quoted from tiesmasc:

all settings are at default except my outlanes are moved in, I have a 5 second ballsaver at the start of each ball, and replay awards extra ball. I'm certain that if everything was at defaults I'd have only gotten there at most 1x... but I like to see more of the game and also want my wife and children to have fun playing the game... it especially makes me happy when I find out she has played the game on her own which happens more often that I ever thought it would.
At the end of the day I can't compare my making it to SOTR versus someone who left their game at strict defaults b/c I know this was set up easier... but that doesn't make it any less fun. And honestly if it starts getting "easy" then I'll just make it more difficult again.

I give myself an extra ball at 100,000 points automatically, and I get an extra ball with Special. Other than that, I believe I am at default settings. Most good games for me are at 15-20 minutes. Still, I doubt I will make it to SOTR.

#25 7 years ago

I think its time to move my inlanes in. I currently play pretty much default (other than special set to extra ball and a 7 second ball saver) with a 7ish slope. I've been resisting moving the lanes in... But screw it, its my game I can do what I want!

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#26 7 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

Thanks! That's helpful. I believe the flashing shots lessen in number the more you hit, is that right?

The white & flashing shots alternate along with the music. Once you make a shot it remains unlit until all other shots have been made, regardless of it being white or flashing.

#27 7 years ago

"Just curious but what do people do on the plunge? I usually go for the bumpers to try to start the Haunted modes and progress through them. If I already have a Haunted mode going and lock a ball, then I will go for the witch skill shot on the plunge to start the witch hurry-up. I rarely go for the other two skill shots. They are too risky and very difficult to make."

Like you I often want the Haunted modes and things going first to try and set up to get to Dorothy rescue multi-ball and get to use the castle playfield a decent amount in the game. To me if I miss that skill shot to try and get the two blue inserts, it's worth it to keep trying. Once I've got that usually I got for either the skill shot on the top two rollovers or shoot the witch. For me, shooting the witch never gets old even after all this time and really getting her involved and eventually trying to melt her. I never ever purposely try to shoot the "BALL" stand up target skill shot. Too high risk for too low a reward, IMO. One thing I do love about WOZ and now TH especially is their use of multiple skills shots of various point and difficulty levels.

#28 7 years ago
Quoted from WesleyCowan:

"Just curious but what do people do on the plunge? I usually go for the bumpers to try to start the Haunted modes and progress through them. If I already have a Haunted mode going and lock a ball, then I will go for the witch skill shot on the plunge to start the witch hurry-up. I rarely go for the other two skill shots. They are too risky and very difficult to make."
Like you I often want the Haunted modes and things going first to try and set up to get to Dorothy rescue multi-ball and get to use the castle playfield a decent amount in the game. To me if I miss that skill shot to try and get the two blue inserts, it's worth it to keep trying. Once I've got that usually I got for either the skill shot on the top two rollovers or shoot the witch. For me, shooting the witch never gets old even after all this time and really getting her involved and eventually trying to melt her. I never ever purposely try to shoot the "BALL" stand up target skill shot. Too high risk for too low a reward, IMO. One thing I do love about WOZ and now TH especially is their use of multiple skills shots of various point and difficulty levels.

Lowest risk, highest reward is easily the witch skillshot. It's the only one I go for. Shooting to the bumpers is a waste. The right orbit shot is one of the easiest in the game and is equivalent to going for bumpers on launch.

#29 7 years ago
Quoted from iepinball:

The white & flashing shots alternate along with the music. Once you make a shot it remains unlit until all other shots have been made, regardless of it being white or flashing.

It sounds like this is one mode that you should definitely not stack.

#30 7 years ago

Curious what most guys the pitch set at? I'm going to move my inlanes in today and work on better progression.

#31 7 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

Curious what most guys the pitch set at? I'm going to move my inlanes in today and work on better progression.

The right inlane is an easy move, the left is more tricky as you need to also moove the stainless. There is a pre-drilled hole for it but you have to remove the plastics over there to get to it.

I was worried that closing the inlanes would make it too easy but have found that a poorly placed shot can still easily shoot straight into either inlane.

At CE yesterday (and today) there is a WOZ on a low pitch (not sure what) and set to give extra balls every 75k points (plus regular and specials) and flipper power turned down. Maybe it was setup that way to accomodate available power at the show but my feeling was that this configuration made the game feel more like an EM than a modern pin. It was still challenging but in a different way. My concern for a WOZ setup like that at a show is that it would give your average stern fan the impression that its a "slow lumbering game".

I guess thats another cool thing about WOZ... If you like that EM feel you can set it up that way and it will still play right (although not my taste), or if you like a quick paced game that really gets the ball moving, you can set it up that way and it plays that configuration (which I believe is default) properly as well.

I will say that the lower slope makes catching the ball a whole heck of a lot easier. I might try lowering the back a centemeter at a time to see if I can find a sweet spot for my taste.

#32 7 years ago

Are the Haunted Forest modes randomly assigned, or do they change with switch hits like munchkin modes when you hit the rainbow targets or crystal ball modes when you hit those targets? If they change, how can you tell which one is up next?

#33 7 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

Are the Haunted Forest modes randomly assigned, or do they change with switch hits like munchkin modes when you hit the rainbow targets or crystal ball modes when you hit those targets? If they change, how can you tell which one is up next?

They change. Look at the bottom left quadrant of the screen to see what's going to be next.

#34 7 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

They change. Look at the bottom left quadrant of the screen to see what's going to be next.

Ok, I'll check. Is it bumper hits that make them change?

#35 7 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

Ok, I'll check. Is it bumper hits that make them change?

Hmmm...good question. Maybe it is random? Bumper hits are as good as random either way. Drop a ball in the bumpers and watch that quadrant.

#36 7 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Hmmm...good question. Maybe it is random? Bumper hits are as good as random either way. Drop a ball in the bumpers and watch that quadrant.

I just checked. That quadrant only shows progress towards spelling HAUNTED and when it is qualified. It does not show what is coming up next. With munchkin and crystal ball modes, I like to try to plan which one I do to stack them together with other modes if possible. Or not stack if it wouldn't help. I thought it would be cool if you could try to plan Haunted modes in the same way. For example, I would want to stack haunted targets with a MB. But, you have less control about getting a Haunted mode than other modes, so planning would be difficult anyway.

#37 7 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

I just checked. That quadrant only shows progress towards spelling HAUNTED and when it is qualified. It does not show what is coming up next. With munchkin and crystal ball modes, I like to try to plan which one I do to stack them together with other modes if possible. Or not stack if it wouldn't help. I thought it would be cool if you could try to plan Haunted modes in the same way. For example, I would want to stack haunted targets with a MB. But, you have less control about getting a Haunted mode than other modes, so planning would be difficult anyway.

Doesn't it show the next mode in that quadrant?? I'll have to check tonight.

#38 7 years ago

You can still stack it since its an easy mode to start, especially if a MB is going.... I just don't think there is any way to plan which mode you get.

#39 7 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Doesn't it show the next mode in that quadrant?? I'll have to check tonight.

Nope. Unless I'm blind.

Quoted from merccat:

You can still stack it since its an easy mode to start, especially if a MB is going.... I just don't think there is any way to plan which mode you get.

Agreed. But, there's always that feeling of disappointment when you get Haunted Holes. . . .

#40 7 years ago

Unless of course you've already completed haunted holes... Then your golden

3 weeks later
#41 7 years ago

My basic plan for high scores:
Yes, first ball let it go over the blue inserts for Rescue/Dorthy, then get the Dorthy captured.
Get the rainbow / twister, and get 1 loop left to drain. Get 2 balls locked for ecmb, and hopefully letters for Rainbow again.
Get the rescue multi-ball started, hopefully get the ECMB started, then get 1 more loop munchin rainbow loop.

Not an expert on which munchkin modes work best. But I thought 400k+ on one of them was impressive...

#42 7 years ago
Quoted from DysqoDave:

Not an expert on which munchkin modes work best. But I thought 400k+ on one of them was impressive...

In my experience, if you are going to stack, like you suggest, the best munchkin mode is munchkin frenzy. With that one, I've had those 400,000+ point bonuses, though they are rare. Welcome to munchkin land is next best. Lollipop lullaby is not one to stack for reasons that were said above.

#43 7 years ago

Forget the points, I need to melt that witch. Older code it was like 2 shots and you could melt her.

Now I don't get the chance very often but it seems like once there you have numerous white shots to hit so I don't even come close.

Wondering if I will ever melt her again. Is this correct?

#44 7 years ago

Could someone explain how you melt the witch with the most current code? I haven't even come close.

#45 7 years ago

To get to the witch battle, you need to start ECMB, start a munchkin mode, start fireball frenzy, and start rescue MB. Easy, right? I actually get there once and a while. Melting her is much more difficult. It is a two ball MB with no add a ball opportunities. Once started, you need to hit 4-5 shots, whether white or red. I believe white increases the value of the red shots, but both count towards this goal. Once made, the drop target shot is lit, but the target is down. Shoot the shot to lock one ball behind the target. This will light the ramp. You only have a few seconds now to hit the ramp. The shot will get diverted into the munchkin playfield and through the hole to the upper flipper. Shoot the witch from the flipper right way and melt her. If you miss or don't do it in time, you will have to lock a ball behind the drop target again and try again. I've melted the witch 3 times in about 500 games. If you succeed, there is a great victory mode waiting for you.

#46 7 years ago

Battle the witch is an awesome mode! It takes a lot to get there so for me just getting it is a victory. I love how the screen goes from its quadrant layout to a full screen layout during the whole mode. I have yet to melt her... Got the shots done twice now but fumble when it comes time to actually melt her. So far I have always been over eager so I neglect to stop the balls and take my time

#47 7 years ago
Quoted from merccat:

Battle the witch is an awesome mode! It takes a lot to get there so for me just getting it is a victory. I love how the screen goes from its quadrant layout to a full screen layout during the whole mode. I have yet to melt her... Got the shots done twice now but fumble when it comes time to actually melt her. So far I have always been over eager so I neglect to stop the balls and take my time

I find that as soon as you make the shots, you have to stop the balls. Having only two balls and no ball save at that point is too dangerous. But, yeah, it is really really hard.

#48 7 years ago

Melting the witch is very satisfying. Keep trying.
If you're just wanting to enjoy melting her, and don't care about the score in the mode, then just find the 1-2 shots that are your best and safest shots and shoot. But if you want to jack up your melt the witch jackpot, then focus on the white ones. Keep in mind that you cannot just shoot the spinner from having two balls cradled on L flipper, backhanding one into spinner, Rinse and repeat... because that will penalize you with no hold flippers for the rest of your ball.
From WOZ rulesheet: (credit to Scott Tiesma)

For the lit shots only 4 hits are needed. The eligible shots are Spinner, Left Orbit, Right Orbit,
and Throne Room. Each shot starts out white and turn red if you hit it. A white or red shot will
count towards your total of 4 but each white shots doubles the jackpot and red shots only add
to the base value (which starts at 6250). This means that getting all 4 white shots to turn red
would make the jackpot worth 100,000 points.
If you Liquidate the Witch you are awarded points based upon what white and red shots you hit
and a timed “Ding Dong the Witch is Dead” 4-ball multiball starts. White/Green shots start out
worth 5000+ points but count down during the multiball. The timer countdown is only active
while flippers are pressed so this can be extended by not holding flippers up and not cradling
any balls.

Rule sheet located at: http://papa.org/wp-content/uploads/WOZ-Rulesheet-Version-1-26.pdf
Battle the Witch section is on page 21.

#49 7 years ago

^very informative. Thanks

#50 7 years ago

Thanks guys, that's what I thought. Given this information melting the witch might now be under the fat chance category.

I have a tough time with the witch hurry ups (getting to fireball frenzy) for that emerald. Then I need to make all those shots, yikes. I melted witch once it was the early code I think I had to hit hole behind the winky target, then shoot right ramp dropping from Munckinland
hit the witch with 3rd flipper

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 100.00
Electronics
Led Pinball
Electronics
Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 55.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.
Other
$ 85.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.
Interactive
Lighting - Led
Pinball Mod Co.
Led
11,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Spokane Valley, WA
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 6.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 24.75
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
Toys/Add-ons
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
$ 5.00
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.
Toys/Add-ons
Machine - For Sale
St. Clair Shores, MI
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 29.99
Hardware
Classic Game Rooms
Hardware
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
There are 79 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/woz-strategies-for-points-and-for-the-quest and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.