Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Jvspin
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

So what are some of the best stacks of multiball/modes you've pulled off in WOZ? My favorite so far was:
Started Munchkin Multiball, added Haunted Multiball, then Flipper Frenzy, and finally Emerald City on that. Was a rush! Was only having a so-so game, and score jumped up to over 2mil on a hurry.

At one point, I had two balls cradled on each flipper (while reversed), and did an over-under separation with my left flipper, shooting the other ball into munchkinland, then shooting munchkinland loops with a staged left flipper.
Good stuff!

1 week later
#2 9 years ago

Crickets. No discussion on interesting stacking of WOZ multiballs and modes??

#3 9 years ago

Hey Colin. For all the thousands of posts here about WOZ, you'd think a few of them would be about strategy and rules, but not so in my experience.

The slickest thing I've ever pulled off has been start crystal ball mode, cycle haunted modes until I reach haunted multiball with ECMB ready to go. I think ECMB is best at the end of a stack since it goes well with everything, gives you a ton of ball save time and can be easily set aside for when you need it. The right time to start haunted multiball is when ECMB is ready and a quality crystal ball MB is either going or ready to start.

There's a lot of two-ball tech you can do to advance through the game with one ball more or less permanently cradled. A ball held on the right flipper allows you to advance munchkin loops, as balls drained from the munchkin outhole will usually roll down the upper flipper and be served to the left flipper. You can backhand the left flipper into the pops to collect haunted modes with a ball cradled in the right flipper as well.

There's a shot that's quite simple but I get a kick out of every time it succeeds: get two balls cradled onto either flipper, and give it a quick backhand flip to send the top ball into the crystal ball shot from the left flipper or throne room from the right. It's a satisfying trick for people like me who don't have the complete set of multiball control techniques.

#4 9 years ago

I think everyone is too scared to say anything. Too much hate here whenever WOZ treads are started.
A lot of the stacking will change a little with code 4.0 which is probably only days away now. I just tend to lock 2 balls for ECMB, get dorothy captured and spell out RESCUE, start a munchkin mode then go up to the castle, rescue dorothy, 1 ball up the ramp to start ECMB. I then sometimes get to hit the witch to start fireball frenzy, and all hell brakes loose.

#5 9 years ago

I've had a few big stacks, but honestly I'm just so busy trying to keep everything going that I can't really tell which specific modes I've started!

There is just nothing else like WOZ out there when you get multiple modes running, it's an amazing rush!!

#6 9 years ago
Quoted from generica:

Hey Colin. For all the thousands of posts here about WOZ, you'd think a few of them would be about strategy and rules, but not so in my experience.
The slickest thing I've ever pulled off has been start crystal ball mode, cycle haunted modes until I reach haunted multiball with ECMB ready to go. I think ECMB is best at the end of a stack since it goes well with everything, gives you a ton of ball save time and can be easily set aside for when you need it. The right time to start haunted multiball is when ECMB is ready and a quality crystal ball MB is either going or ready to start.

Agreed. I like to use crystal ball MB's to qualify my ECMB.
For getting my next Haunted Mode, I was staging my R flipper, and feeding the pops via the R orbit shot, but I like the thought of backhanding into pops better -- you'll likely pick up a Tin Man shot on the way in.

Quoted from generica:

There's a lot of two-ball tech you can do to advance through the game with one ball more or less permanently cradled. A ball held on the right flipper allows you to advance munchkin loops, as balls drained from the munchkin outhole will usually roll down the upper flipper and be served to the left flipper. You can backhand the left flipper into the pops to collect haunted modes with a ball cradled in the right flipper as well.

Definitely. I do the same thing. You can also take advantage of this and complete certain shots in Rescue MB with one flipper.

Quoted from generica:

There's a shot that's quite simple but I get a kick out of every time it succeeds: get two balls cradled onto either flipper, and give it a quick backhand flip to send the top ball into the crystal ball shot from the left flipper or throne room from the right. It's a satisfying trick for people like me who don't have the complete set of multiball control techniques.

Correct. This is the key to finishing the second stage of ECMB, because it's so easy to feed the throne room from two balls on the R flipper.

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from generica:

and a quality crystal ball MB is either going or ready to start.

How do you determine which crystal ball MB is up next? Is there a correlation of the BALL insert colors and which one will start next? (I noticed that they change color on shots to BALL targets after it's qualified)

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from Snailman:

How do you determine which crystal ball MB is up next? Is there a correlation of the BALL insert colors and which one will start next? (I noticed that they change color on shots to BALL targets after it's qualified)

Yes, each color represents a specific Crystal ball mode. Hitting a lit crystal ball insert changes the color. I believe the colors are as follows:

Blue: Lights Out
Yellow: Lights On
Green: Weak Flippers
Red: No Hold Flippers

By the way, I'm in awe of your ability to collect Munchkin loops while keeping a ball held on your left flipper.

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

Yes, each color represents a specific Crystal ball mode. Hitting a lit crystal ball insert changes the color. I believe the colors are as follows:
By the way, I'm in awe of your ability to collect Munchkin loops while keeping a ball held on your left flipper.

Add light blue for Flipper Frenzy (reverse flippers)

#10 9 years ago

You guys are just in a different league from me. I'd love to watch a video of your gameplay with commentary added.

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from statsdoc:

Do you know if you get that automatically once all the other crystal ball modes are completed or does it only appear as an option after the other CB modes are completed?

#12 9 years ago
Quoted from statsdoc:

Quoted from Jvspin:

Thanks! This is INCREDIBLY valuable to know. Now I can finally control (except for the random bounce into the crystal ball) which CBMB I start, and not screw up a perfectly good ECMB or RMB with No Hold or Weak flippers.

And to clarify, the flipper to cradle up a ball during a multiball, in order to collect Munchkin loops, is your RIGHT flipper -- which generica stated. Frees up your left flipper (also the Munchkinland flipper) to flip away.

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

Do know if you get that automatically once all the other crystal ball modes are completed or does it only appear as an option after the other CB modes are completed?

I believe it's the former.

#14 9 years ago
Quoted from Snailman:

...then shooting munchkinland loops with a staged left flipper.
Good stuff!

Quoted from Snailman:

And to clarify, the flipper to cradle up a ball during a multiball, in order to collect Munchkin loops, is your RIGHT flipper -- which generica stated. Frees up your left flipper (also the Munchkinland flipper) to flip away.

Thanks for the clarification. I thought you were holding the balls on both lower flippers and using the two stage flipper button on the left flipper to operate just the munchkin flipper. Hmmm...that could be a useful skill to acquire on WOZ.

#15 9 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

Do you know if you get that automatically once all the other crystal ball modes are completed or does it only appear as an option after the other CB modes are completed?

I am not sure I completely understand your question, but suffice it to say that the fifth time through CB, the lights are light blue when you hit them, and you will get Flipper Frenzy (reverse flippers) when you light all BALL lights and start the mode with a shot to the Crystal Ball.

#16 9 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

Thanks for the clarification. I thought you were holding the balls on both lower flippers and using the two stage flipper button on the left flipper to operate just the munchkin flipper. Hmmm...that could be a useful skill to acquire on WOZ.

Oh yeah. I did do that. Admittedly, I didn't get many Munchkin loops out of it -- staging with reversed flippers is a pain! First time I'd ever tried that --- but a lot of fun.

The MUCH easier way is cradling on your right flipper.

#17 9 years ago
Quoted from Snailman:

Thanks! This is INCREDIBLY valuable to know. Now I can finally control (except for the random bounce into the crystal ball) which CBMB I start, and not screw up a perfectly good ECMB or RMB with No Hold or Weak flippers.

I definitely cradle with my right flipper unless you are needing the right flipper to bat the ball around in the rescue mini-playfield. I will never become good enough to hold the lower flipper and flip the top flipper with a partial release of the button. Cradles with the left flipper are usually pretty short-lived when I play.

#18 9 years ago
Quoted from statsdoc:

I am not sure I completely understand your question, but suffice it to say that the fifth time through CB, the lights are light blue when you hit them, and you will get Flipper Frenzy (reverse flippers) when you light all BALL lights and start the mode with a shot to the Crystal Ball.

I think that answers my question. Basically, once the first four crystal ball modes are completed the next crystal ball mode will be Flipper Frenzy (light blue) and additional hits to the ball targets will not change the mode (or color).

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
St. Clair Shores, MI
$ 345.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 55.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

13,000 (OBO)
$ 3.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.50
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA
Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Led
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/woz-stacks and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.