• Latest reply 8 years ago by Rarehero
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
#1 8 years ago

Hello everyone and thanks in advance for your advice. I am looking to get a modern machine, have a Spirit of '76 that I really enjoy, and have pretty much got it narrowed down to one of these three. I have only played about 25 games of X-Men, 10 WOZ, and 3 Star Trek (played quite a bit of Spiderman and Next Gen and really aren't the 3 basically the same ). I will not be able to get a chance to play any of them again for quite some time as I don't know of any of them even in the state.

I have played most of the classics. Probably my favorite pinball machine is Attack from Mars. Getaway and Cactus Canyon are also some that I like a lot. I don't like Cirque Voltaire at all, didn't care for Iron Man but I always liked BSD. TSPP was sort of a miss with me but from the little I played it WOZ seemed much better than it. Don't care for Transformers, like Rollergames.

Thanks again for your help, I am drawing a blank as to other relevant info right now but I would imagine as responses come in I will remember more that I meant to add.

#2 8 years ago

I rate them: STLE, XMLE,,,, WoZ

I can go either XM, ST or ST, XM they are both fantastic (IMO)

I've played WoZ a good bit enough to know I don't like it.

And no, ST, SM and STTNG are not the same thing. they have similar shots, three flippers and three ramps. But to me they are three different games. I owned all three and currently own SM and STLE they might be similar, but STTNG is completely different.

image.jpgimage.jpg

#3 8 years ago

Xmen

#4 8 years ago

Entirely depends on the style of play you prefer. I'd say WOZ, but that's just me. (For the record, I did own STLE for a year, so I know the pin well. I like it, but not enough to keep it long term.)

#5 8 years ago

I've owned an Xmen and I've logged quite a few games on location here of Star Trek. They are both great but I might give a slight nod to Xmen. If it were me I'd choose WOZ but it is also the game I have the least amount of experience with, so I guess that could change if I had more time with one (I maybe have 25 games on it).

#6 8 years ago

I own a WOZ ECLE and an XMEN LE. Both have interesting rules and a lot to do but WOZ wins in my opinion. The rules in WOZ are more interesting, the call outs are superior, the game has better lighting effects, and there's simply more to do in the game. XMEN LE isn't no slouch though and I personally like it more then ST. ST is a great game but I prefer XMEN LE with the many shots the game offers (more then your typical game), two side shots and multiple unique toys. Really you can't go wrong with any of those 3 games.

#7 8 years ago

I sold my WOZRR75 to get an AC/DC Luci... WOZ is a snooooooze fest... IMO!! hope that helps.. BTW AC/DC is AwEsOmE!

#8 8 years ago

I'm in love with the STLE, and I own (and moving) the Xmen LE, so I can be a little biased. I love video game/pinball, so I should love WOZ, but the slowness (and the mirage LED effect) kinda kills it for me. I rate it higher than an XMen LE, not for the gameplay, but rather for the wow factor. I appreciate it, but doesn't mean that I would want to play it more than the others.

WOZ = Slower gameplay, but FEATURE packed.
ST = Fastest, extreme speed, open shots.
XM pro = 2nd fastest, tighter shots
XM-LE = Slower with more features than the pro

IMO:
STLE - WOZ - Xmen LE - ST Prem - XMen Pro - ST Pro

#9 8 years ago

None of the above ...but go with ST if you like AFM. Similar flow and Spaceship toy.

#10 8 years ago

I own an Xmen Pro and Star Trek LE. Star Trek is always the bigger crowd pleasure when we have guests over. I personally love both but would kick Xmen out before Star Trek because I prefer it's faster flow. Not a fan of WOZ.

Really if you're looking for a modern game I'd go with Metalica. In my opinion it has the best layout and ruleset of all the newer titles.

#11 8 years ago

I never owned WOZ and don't have too much experience with it but I did own ST and still own Xmen. I personally would rank them as follows:

1) Xmen - super fast and fun game with super deep code
2) WOZ - TONS of toys, two upper playfields but the theme kind of sucks
3) ST - not a bad game, fast and fun, I like to play it on location or in someone else's collection but owning it becomes repetitive with the shoot this lit shot, then that lit shot every mode. Sure it has 18 modes but they are all the same. That's why I like to play it casually at someone else's house so it doesn't get too boring. Keep in mind I haven't played it with the newest code but I doubt they changed the modes/mode.

#12 8 years ago

All of the above. All excellent choices. Would grab the first of the three showing up for a reasonable price.

#13 8 years ago

WOZ >>>>>XMEN>>>>>>ST

#14 8 years ago

@ QuarterGrabber, not the 18 modes are not the same on star trek otherwise I think you missed an episode or you party all the simple shots without optimizing your score.

for me if AFM your favorite go to star trek.
a great resemblance in style but not at all the same game.
on 3 pinball ST without hesitation

#15 8 years ago

Just get the best machine ever created. TZ. hehe

#16 8 years ago

Xmen for the value to play price bucks.
WOZ for the beauty
ST for theme

#17 8 years ago

WOZ by a country mile, then it gets interesting, X-Men is one of the better Sterns, I think long term it is a superior game to Star Trek.

#18 8 years ago

ST, great game, WOZ second, deep ruleset, Xmen had no appeal. Like playing a badly drawn comic book with inconsistent storyline. There's a reason Xmen is cheapest of the three.

#19 8 years ago

Confused yet?

I never understood these posts…

This is the last thing I would do if I were trying to determine which pin I should own next.

Good luck though!

#20 8 years ago

Xmen then st then woz. Top to bottom

#21 8 years ago

XmenLE>Xmen Pro>Woz>STLE

#22 8 years ago

XMen for days...

#23 8 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

Confused yet?
This is the last thing I would do if I were trying to determine which pin I should own next.
Good luck though!

I think I undersatnd. If he gets 50 replies, and 45 all say the same thing or if the preponderance of replies say one game is terrible. Even if some people say they love the game (Avengers is an example). Likely, if everyone says the same thing, you may also like what the majority like.

I never had played Tron, not one second. But from Pinside and asking people I had a good idea I'd like it, same with AcDc premium.

I just wanted to clarify my earlier post, every time I say that I dislike WoZ and that I'd never buy it. This is just me, I am sure it's a good game, some people love it. I'm not trying to hate on WoZ (like I will on South Park which I think is the worst pin of all time). I just say WoZ may be good but it's totally not for me.

It's easier with ST or even XM to say, if you enjoy a game like AcDc or Tron than likely you will enjoy those other Stern games.

When I play WoZ, it's almost like I can't wait for the game to end so I can play something else. I've played it many times, not a lot let's say 40 games, never once did I feel like I was having fun.

But that it just my opinion. I don't really like LOTR either, I like it better than WoZ but not really in love with it like a lot of people.

#24 8 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I think I undersatnd. If he gets 50 replies, and 45 all say the same thing or if the preponderance of replies say one game is terrible. Even if some people say they love the game (Avengers is an example). Likely, if everyone says the same thing, you may also like what the majority like.
I never had played Tron, not one second. But from Pinside and asking people I had a good idea I'd like it, same with AcDc premium.
I just wanted to clarify my earlier post, every time I say that I dislike WoZ and that I'd never buy it. This is just me, I am sure it's a good game, some people love it.
It's easier with ST or even XM to say, if you enjoy a game like AcDc or Tron than likely you will enjoy those other Stern games.
When I play WoZ, it's almost like I can't wait for the game to end so I can play something else. I've played it many times, not a lot let's say 40 games, never once did I feel like I was having fun.
But that it just my opinion. I don't really like LOTR either, I like it better than WoZ but not really in love with it like a lot of people.

Now I'm confused…

#25 8 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

None of the above ...but go with ST if you like AFM. Similar flow and Spaceship toy.

Don't know why you got thumbs down for this, I agree 1000%

#26 8 years ago
Quoted from Riffbear:

Just get the best machine ever created. TZ. hehe

This is so true, when I was imagining WoZ, I was thinking maybe TZ but more modern hardware. Since both have upper PF and right upper flipper, and similar ramp placement. But TZ (IMO) is the top of the WB pins.

I will add, that I own SM and STLE and so far, if one was leaving it would be SM, I like it a lot, but not as much as other people. SM is not in my top5 of the games I own.

#27 8 years ago

I own or have owned all 3 games. XMENLE will get you the most bang for your buck. The most shots out of any of those games, lots of toys and deep complete code. STLE looks great and a lot of people seem to like the game but it's not one of my favorites. I do not like the mode progressions. I'd recommend a pro if you like the game as it's half the price of the LE and you don't lose much game play wise. WOZ is a great game and the light show is awesome. Really deep code and great to have in a decent sized collection but not a gam I play a ton.

I'd rank them as below.

XMENLE best value and a great game
WOZ, pricy but a fantastic looking game with crazy deep code
STLE, over priced in my opinion but looks fantastic and flows great

#28 8 years ago

Own all three and I love a of them,it is up to you,I could care less what other think about a game ,if they say it sucks that means nothing to me,nothing,I buy and play what I want to not what others says is fun

#29 8 years ago

Star Trek…hands down.

#30 8 years ago

I like AFM a lot, too. I'm not sure what used prices of WOZ go for but nib are really high. Beautiful machine but hard to get into because of the theme. Not sure how reliable they are in the long run, either. For serious money, I would find a AFM instead.

I have not played xmen but that's probably the cheaper game. ST is my choice with any modern game. Other games may be better in some areas but tough to beat ST overall in looks, light show, sound, flow, and code that appeals to a wide audience. It's pretty easy to learn the basic rules and get to multiball. Pro is solid and easily found for not a lot of cash.

#31 8 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Don't know why you got thumbs down for this, I agree 1000%

Xmen lovers resent me for escaping the cult

#32 8 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Xmen lovers resent me for escaping the cult

As the cult leader, I say: X-Men.

#33 8 years ago

Thanks guys I appreciate all the responses so far.

Quoted from teekee:

Confused yet?
Good luck though!

probably not much more confused than I was going in. My thought was that I could ask and see if there was a single overwhelming response; or I could view what people said along with their game ratings and see what people with similar tastes preferred.

#34 8 years ago
Quoted from pmWolf:

As the cult leader, I say: X-Men.

We need a vomit emoji. I'll just use this one

#35 8 years ago
Quoted from Tangiers:

probably not much more confused than I was going in. My thought was that I could ask and see if there was a single overwhelming response; or I could view what people said along with their game ratings and see what people with similar tastes preferred.

I understand, never hurts to ask…

Even the most hated pin out there has its fans… even the most loved pin out there won't be liked by everyone. If I were you I would just try to get as much time on each or just take a chance and buy one. You can always sell it...

#36 8 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

We need a vomit emoji. I'll just use this one

Awwwwww...... =)

Nah, I just think you're too hard on X-Men. It makes me sad inside that you are incapable of feeling joy.

(Ha!)

It's got great art, a theme I love, fantastic dots...and I'm a sucker for magnets. Heck, that Magneto multi-ball start is just kind of cool.

Pete

#37 8 years ago
Quoted from pmWolf:

Awwwwww...... =)
Nah, I just think you're too hard on X-Men. It makes me sad inside that you are incapable of feeling joy.
(Ha!)
It's got great art, a theme I love, fantastic dots...and I'm a sucker for magnets. Heck, that Magneto multi-ball start is just kind of cool.
Pete

A million other games give me joy.

It's the voices & Wolverine. Those F*cking voices. Yes, there have been some captive ball Wolverine mods...but that still doesn't change my hatred for "bash-bash-bash-bash-Multiball" ...."bash (more times) Multiball". Wolv toy/rules & the voices were the ultimate game-killer, but beyond that - the rules aren't very interesting or organic. Just tons of characters bobbing on the DMD and yapping at you while you shoot some lit shots. Yawns. Over it.

#38 8 years ago

My ranking would be 1. XM 2. ST very far down the road 3. WOZ

I've owned both XM & ST. WOZ was not my cup of tea I gave it a ton of play in hopes that would change but it didn't.

#39 8 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

"bash-bash-bash-bash-Multiball" ...."bash (more times) Multiball".

Is this not pinball in a nutshell? or is it, Shoot this ramp 3x shoot that ramp 3x shoot that orbit 3x Shoot that lock 3x,Then Multiball

#40 8 years ago

My vote
ST
Xmen

WOZ

#41 8 years ago
Quoted from Kiwipinhead:

Is this not pinball in a nutshell? or is it, Shoot this ramp 3x shoot that ramp 3x shoot that orbit 3x Shoot that lock 3x,Then Multiball

Getting a Multiball should be somewhat challenging or at least satisfying. I understand "Gimme Multiballs", but Wolverine takes the cake. It's a giant toy right in front of the flippers. You can just keep hitting it and get Multiball all day long. A more satisfying approach would have been bash-bash-bash...start some kind of mode or hurry up - make that shot, THEN get the Multiball. Ya know, like the instruction card says

Anyway, just one aspect of X-Men I dislike, but it's big enough to be a game-killer.

#42 8 years ago

Spiderman...Star Trek Premium.......X-Men LE..............WOZ.

I own the first 3, and played WOZ at PHoF in Vegas.

Not sure what the problem with WOZ was, but I just didn't like how it played, but it could be that the flipper/sling power was just turned way down. It didn't play that well and wasn't much fun. Others seemed to like it, a there were always people playing it. It is pretty.

If I was to sell one of my games, it would be X-Men LE. I just don't enjoy it as much as SM & ST. Maybe my mind will change after I install the lighted night-crawler option and the newton ball wolverine bracket. But I've had that stuff for quite awhile and have no energy to mod the game or even play it for more than a few minutes.

Robert

#43 8 years ago

ST and WOZ are in a whole other league than Xmen.

I say ST over WOZ for theme, dependability, and overall gameplay. WOZ if you prefer long and slow games with an extremely deep and good rule set.

#45 8 years ago

WOZ all day.

#46 8 years ago

Wow. We are all over the map here.

Opinions MAY vary.

#48 8 years ago

WOZ, ST a close second. No to X

#49 8 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Getting a Multiball should be somewhat challenging or at least satisfying. I understand "Gimme Multiballs", but Wolverine takes the cake. It's a giant toy right in front of the flippers. You can just keep hitting it and get Multiball all day long. A more satisfying approach would have been bash-bash-bash...start some kind of mode or hurry up - make that shot, THEN get the Multiball. Ya know, like the instruction card says
Anyway, just one aspect of X-Men I dislike, but it's big enough to be a game-killer.

I have the captive ball mod shortly after getting the game, so maybe the stock setup isn't so hard. It's not about getting multiball, it's completing the wolverine mode.. Easily the hardest hero mode to complete for me.

#50 8 years ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

I have the captive ball mod shortly after getting the game, so maybe the stock setup isn't so hard. It's not about getting multiball, it's completing the wolverine mode.. Easily the hardest hero mode to complete for me.

Really? I would triple lap Weapon X Multiball and be super annoyed if I started it again. But yeah it's probably harder to accidentally start it with a captive ball....you have a much narrower target now.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 85.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN
$ 5.00
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 225.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

13,000 (OBO)
9,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Santa Maria, CA
$ 55.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

Lighting - Led
Pinball Mod Co.

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 24.50
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 24.95
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Stephenson, VA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/woz-st-or-x-men and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.