Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by pinstyle
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

What is the general feeling of sotr being attainable? I have owned my game for over two years now I think, and I have just recently started to get close to completing rescue multiball (which seems to be the most difficult). Even so, I am still pretty far away even on my best games. I have my game set only slightly harder than factory settings, which honestly I do not think is the make or break factor of whether or not I can get to sotr. I do have extra balls set at 150,000, and basically doubling there after (150,000 then 300,000 then 600,000 etc..). I am a pretty good player but man I cant crack this thing. It makes me wonder, how good of a player do you need to be?

#2 7 years ago

I think it is extremely difficult, and only the best players will ever get there. I don't think I ever will. I would love one day just to complete Rescue MB. There are a few tips here:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/woz-strategies-for-points-and-for-the-quest

And, there is a great video tutorial that someone did of how to get there under 5.05 code. It also has a surprise ending.

#3 7 years ago

Thanks for the link. In my opinion collecting the horses seems to be a really quick way to get your score up there. I have only recently figured out how to make this shot. I am not good at setting it up yet but i know when to go for it. Points aside though, getting to sotr seems to be pretty far out of reach yet. The closet i have come to completing rescue muliball is i got down to one last rescue letter to hit, then all i had to do was break down the doors but i cracked and never made it. I have honestly just recently started to contemplate taking the glass off just to see what happens when you get there. I hate to do that though.

#4 7 years ago

No chance for me. In fact I haven't melted the witch with the last 2 code updates and only once with early code.

Wasn't last code update over a year ago?

#5 7 years ago

I don't have much problem melting the witch, I am even starting to get a lot closer to pulling off fireball frenzy more frequently. Rescue multiball has yet been out of reach and pulling everything off all together in one game is still way far out. I feel I am getting closer though.

Damn you Keith....damn you..

Last code update was fairly recent I think...

#6 7 years ago

In two years of owning it, the closest I came to finishing rescue was 3 letters. And I used to stack like crazy to get that far. The only reason ECMB existed was to get me farther through Rescue Multiball. In the end I accepted the fact that I would never finish Rescue. And to be honest, that annoyed me a bit. There was one point where I tried for a month to finish rescue, and never got close. It detracts from the game a bit. I was unlikely to put a game together with all the requirements to get to SOTR. However having one that is impossible for me was annoying.

#7 7 years ago

Last one is 6.06 and I believe it's also the last one

#8 7 years ago

I believe I read in another thread that there was another update at some point planned, mostly a 'clean-up' type update; I do not know if it will add any new features.

That said, my son and I spent some time with the glass off the other day when rescuing the witch from that damn plastic tube - and we batted around the ball by hand for - I'm not kidding - at least 30 minutes... and we could NOT figure out how to get SOTR! I know we did every multiball several times... has anyone ever actually *seen* this mode?!

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I know we did every multiball several times... has anyone ever actually *seen* this mode?!

I did it (glass off, by hand) the week I sold it, just to see it. And yes, it exists. However doing it must follow the rules. For instance finishing Rescue with all the letters, and completing it with an upper playfield combo shot. It took quite a while even doing it by hand. However the game tells you everything you need with the emeralds and diamonds. So you should have been able to see at all times what the game thought was incomplete.

#10 7 years ago

Search YouTube. There is at least one video of SOTR being played, and, as I said, a tutorial of the game leading up to SOTR with a surprise ending.

I'll try to post the videos later when I have more time.

#11 7 years ago

To this day I've never heard of someone reaching SOTR on 3 ball with default settings. Seems like the most difficult wizard mode to reach in pinball.

#12 7 years ago

Never played the game, so I did not know what SOTR stood for.

I just assumed you invented a new abbreviation for "sell or trade"!

#13 7 years ago

Here's the tutorial with the surprise ending:

#14 7 years ago

In this video, you can see the SOTR mode:

#15 7 years ago

What does SOTR stand for??? I am a new WOZ owner and based on my first 50 games I am never going to see any of this shit.

#16 7 years ago
Quoted from thedarkknight77:

What does SOTR stand for??? I am a new WOZ owner and based on my first 50 games I am never going to see any of this shit.

Somewhere Over the Rainbow. The requirements for it are on the status screen that shows how to collect each of the 8 diamonds. Collecting the 4 emeralds and then beating the wicked witch awards 1/8 diamonds, then there's a bunch of other stuff to do for the other 7. Basically complete everything there is in the game.

#17 7 years ago

I wonder if Keefer has any plans to make rescue mega requirements any easier.

#18 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinballomatic:

Last one is 6.06 and I believe it's also the last one

There'll probably be at least one more, if for nothing else but a bug fix. There's a problem with the 15.10 Ubuntu and the Linux kernel they updated to in all the 6.xx versions including 6.06 that causes lockups in attract mode on certain (ECLE only?) WoZ machines.

2 years later
#19 4 years ago

I know this topic is 2 years old, but I'm considering buying a WOZ and wanted to know if SOTR was made more achievable since the last post here.

I hear you guys saying it's impossible to reach on default, but curious to hear how it compares to Valinor and SDMEWM.

I've been final shot away from Valinor, but couldn't clear the ramp due to flipper fatigue.

And one of the reasons I sold my TSPP is that I got tired of playing over an hour to not even be halfway to SDMEWM.

I think Valinor is the perfect challenge, andSDMEWM is just stupid.

So, how does SOTR compare?

#20 4 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

I know this topic is 2 years old, but I'm considering buying a WOZ and wanted to know if SOTR was made more achievable since the last post here.

Nope, it is just as difficult as before. Only a rare few will ever make it. I've only played LOTR a few times, but my understanding is that if you came close to getting Valinor, then you at least have a shot at making SOTR. More than me at least.

And, there's also plenty of other reasons to love WOZ other than just making it to SOTR.

#21 4 years ago

Still ridiculously hard. After 5 years (?) of owning the game and never seeing SOTR I have made some modifications to help me get there. Closed up out lanes, added white rubber to out lanes, closed up castle playfield exit post, added white rubber on that post. Extra balls set at achievable score markers. I basically have it set now to "get there". I have come the closest I have ever come. For me the most difficult is completing rescue multiball. I am surprised there has never been an option to spot letters at the start. It is a long journey I can say that. I actually played tonight for a while but only because my son was asking me to get to the castle (he is 5 years old). He loves the game, as do all of my guests. For me though I have been playing Dialed In a sh!t ton. I feel that when I step up to WOZ now that I am accepting a challenge to finish it, especially considering how I have the game set up now. So in light of that, I have to be prepared to play a long game. Still an awesome game, after owning it for these past years. I had to recently consider selling it to get WWCF, but after playing it........nah...the game still rocks, it stays.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 345.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
9,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Santa Maria, CA
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.99
Hardware
Classic Game Rooms

$ 91.00
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 16.95
$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

11,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Spokane Valley, WA
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Burlingame, CA
$ 8.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 24.50
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/woz-sotr?hl=apinballwiz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.