WOZ SOTR Video - Spoilers!

By iepinball

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

SPOILER WARNING! Don't watch this video if you don't want to be spoiled!

Finally got to Somewhere Over the Rainbow! Very cool mode, great lighting effects, won't say anything else for those that don't want to be spoiled. If you do, watch the video. Sorry it's not the full game. I only setup the camera once I realized I would reach it.

SOTR starts around 3:20.

#2 10 years ago
Quoted from iepinball:

SPOILER WARNING! Don't watch this video if you don't want to be spoiled

I just got spoiled > That was awesome . I need this machine in my collection !! Good job .

#3 10 years ago

I'm only watching this because by the time I own a woz AND can get this good, i'll have forgotten all about this video.

#4 10 years ago

Well done! I doubt I will ever get there but I don't want to peak just yet so I can pretend I might make it some day

#5 10 years ago

Thanks for the spoiler alert. I will not watch this. But thanks for posting and tempting me.

#6 10 years ago

Damn I want to play that game so bad.......

#7 10 years ago

I really like this game, I think JJP knocked it out of the park with a deep and original game that's like nothing else in so many ways. I even love the theme, I grew up reading the original Baum books, which are way trippier than the film.

But I just can't stand most of the music.

The main theme, the SOTR theme I just heard, they're just the opposite of what I want to listen to when playing pinball. Too sappy, too light, no energy. I gravitate towards more minor chord fair. I'd much rather hear the loops from The Shadow, a game from 1994, than WOZ's music from decades later, with a much more advanced engine. When I get to Final Battle on Shadow I'm pumped up, it's exciting. SOTR lacks that punch, and I think the music is the reason, because the light show is crazy, and probably way cooler in person. I just can't seem to get over it, though admittedly when I'm playing I'm too busy to pay that much attention. About half way through this video I closed it, I didn't want to listen anymore. I still hear the music while I'm typing, and it's annoying.

Luckily the Hobbit won't have that issue, much more cinematic music to draw inspiration from. I really hope that with a more 'mature' theme (really, there's nothing wrong with WOZ, and the Hobbit is ostensibly a children's story) people will gravitate more, and the JJP stupidity (meaning the dumb threads) will fade away.

Thanks for sharing!

#8 10 years ago

Very impressive! Congratulations are in order, I'm sure you're one of the first people to reach it. It takes a metric ton of modes and multiballs to get close and you can still get shut down if the witch kill or mega jackpot elude you.

Requirements like Haunted Multiball are a lot easier to get when that's all you're going for; to collect everything in the same game is the obstacle, not any one particular requirement. It is motivation to know that it's possible.

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from iepinball:

Finally got to Somewhere Over the Rainbow! Very cool mode, great lighting effects, won't say anything else for those that don't want to be spoiled. If you do, watch the video. Sorry it's not the full game. I only setup the camera once I realized I would reach it. SOTR starts around 3:20.

He only set up the camera after he put the glass back on. Let me one-up the old pinball adage for this feat that isn't humanly possible: If you didn't film it from ball 1, it didn't happen.

EDIT: Of course, let me qualify the previous statements by saying that this may just be my insecurities about my own lame pinball skills talking ...

#10 10 years ago

That was amazing... Thanks for sharing

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

He only set up the camera after he put the glass back on. Let me one-up the old pinball adage for this feat that isn't humanly possible: If you didn't film it from ball 1, it didn't happen.
EDIT: Of course, let me qualify the previous statements by saying that this may just be my insecurities about my own lame pinball skills talking ...

I saw some of his other videos he knows what he is doing I very much believe him!

#12 10 years ago

Thanks for the video...the flipper noise was really loud in this video which makes me think the glass was actually off while you were filming this. I've never filmed any of my gameplay (trust me, you wouldn't want to see it) but I don't think any of my games have flippers that are as loud as yours seem to be on this game.

Not that it matters as seeing the light show and everything else was pretty cool but the flipper noise was distracting, at least to me.

Thanks for sharing.

Dave

#13 10 years ago

sorry- but I doubt many people can play anywhere near the level that was just shown. I doubt seriously this is a fake. how many of us could make all the passes, catches, and redirects his person makes during 6 ball multi ball no less. they would OWN the high score on everyone of every machine for pretty much everyone I know that plays pinball. Very nice.

I know zero about woz- I do know this person can play a little pinball.

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Yeah, if I hadn't already packed the my camera and rig for the Mustang launch party tomorrow it'd be a full game. Been thinking of making a video tutorial but need one more camera before I do, or a video capture card to grab the display directly.

Quoted from egyptrus:

the flipper noise was really loud in this video...

Glass was on, but I should have turned the volume up before recording. Doesn't help that I just recently tiled my gameroom (an unfortunate necessity) which has caused all sorts of expected echo issues that I'm still working through.

Quoted from Aurich:

I really like this game, I think JJP knocked it out of the park with a deep and original game that's like nothing else in so many ways. I even love the theme, I grew up reading the original Baum books, which are way trippier than the film.

But I just can't stand most of the music. *snip*

This game is certainly the oddball for my in-house gameroom lineup: Tron, Shadow, LOTR, ACDC, and then WOZ. I didn't buy it for the music but it doesn't bother me like I thought it would. In fact, the SOTR theme at the end here felt satisfying while playing it, almost like the final movement to a symphony. There's always Night on Bald Mountain during Rescue Multiball to get your blood pumping.

#15 10 years ago

What's really amazing is that was only high score number 2 and that he had already reached SOTR

#16 10 years ago

Wow...just wow...pretty obvious he doesn't need to take the glass off...great video!!!

I completely agree with OPs comment about the audio as well....as much as you think it will bother you ( couldn't stand it when I saw/ played a proto game a long time ago), I actually LIKE the music with the game....fits in an unobtrusive kind of way......I encourage everyone to play w new code. Aurich, music was my main worry, period. It's actually cool in its on way once you get into the game.....mark

#17 10 years ago

"Own" way, not "on" way...sorry

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from iepinball:

This game is certainly the oddball for my in-house gameroom lineup: Tron, Shadow, LOTR, ACDC, and then WOZ. I didn't buy it for the music but it doesn't bother me like I thought it would. In fact, the SOTR theme at the end here felt satisfying while playing it, almost like the final movement to a symphony. There's always Night on Bald Mountain during Rescue Multiball to get your blood pumping.

Just connected your Pinside name with who you are in real life. I should have figured you for a Shadow owner with that secret laugh mode round at Steve's! I can't argue with your games being to my taste, so that's certainly something that you're mixing WOZ in with them.

So here's my question, how do you pitch your personal game? Because the Pinball Land one today was just so floaty it was kind of killing me, but it looked there was a good inch of thread showing on the front legs. Is that some default setup? Or maybe Ron just likes it that way? I was looking forward to playing a little more, but that pinball on the moon feeling kinda sapped the fun out of it for me.

Edit: For the record having seen this guy play, he's perfectly capable of rocking a machine without taking the glass off to cheat.

#19 10 years ago

Impressive!

It is a shame that super deep games are so deep that only a handful of people ever get to experience these wizard modes.

There should be settings in the game - starting with factory which would be hard, looking at this. Then medium, easy and super easy - gives people at home way more chance to experience what they just shelled out $8000 for!

Seeing this makes me more excited for the Hobbit - will stick to my 'wait and play' before buying though.

#20 10 years ago

Congratulations.

#21 10 years ago

... double rainbow?!... what does it mean??...</cl>

--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics
http://LockWhenLit.com
Quality Board Work - In Home Service
borygard at gmail dot com

#22 10 years ago

I had to watch it,Wow!

#23 10 years ago
Quoted from iepinball:

Finally got to Somewhere Over the Rainbow! Very cool mode, great lighting effects, won't say anything else for those that don't want to be spoiled. If you do, watch the video. Sorry it's not the full game. I only setup the camera once I realized I would reach it.
SOTR starts around 3:20.
» YouTube video

Not going to watch but congrats! Very impressive. With 3.0 WOZ easily has one of the deepest rulesets in pinball.

#24 10 years ago

Wow, crazy stuff right there. Nice game!

#25 10 years ago

Nice game.

#26 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Just connected your Pinside name with who you are in real life. I should have figured you for a Shadow owner with that secret laugh mode round at Steve's! I can't argue with your games being to my taste, so that's certainly something that you're mixing WOZ in with them.

So here's my question, how do you pitch your personal game? Because the Pinball Land one today was just so floaty it was kind of killing me, but it looked there was a good inch of thread showing on the front legs. Is that some default setup? Or maybe Ron just likes it that way? I was looking forward to playing a little more, but that pinball on the moon feeling kinda sapped the fun out of it for me.

I figured you knew already between setting up the tournaments and such. I do keep a low profile here most of the time though, not a big poster.

My game is set around 7 degrees and yes, Ron's game was way too floaty for me. Only played one other game on AC/DC to check it out but that was low on the pitch as well. It was my first time there but I assume that's simply how they like them. I'm hoping to run a larger tournament there at some point where I'd be increasing the pitch all around as long as they're ok with it.

#27 9 years ago
Quoted from iepinball:

My game is set around 7 degrees and yes, Ron's game was way too floaty for me. Only played one other game on AC/DC to check it out but that was low on the pitch as well. It was my first time there but I assume that's simply how they like them. I'm hoping to run a larger tournament there at some point where I'd be increasing the pitch all around as long as they're ok with it.

Spider-Man was really floaty too. I'm gonna email them, see if they're open to re-pitching. I'm happy to come out some day and help get them all set up if they're not opposed.

#28 9 years ago

Troz,

You have great aim and ball control. Never seen so many tornado loops made. Video rocked and my wish is for this became the standard for all video releases.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 225.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 395.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Flipper Parts
FlipMods

$ 85.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Stephenson, VA
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Burlingame, CA
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 91.00
$ 55.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
St. Clair Shores, MI
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/woz-sotr-video-spoilers and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.