Topic Stats

• 36 posts
  • 21 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by cal50
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

grammar-7-cfed390b-sz850x1138-animate.jpg
workers-install-ram-pc-3016270.jpg

#1 5 years ago

Has anyone had their WOZ just shut down mid game? Mine has had this happen twice now. All the insert lights stay on, the monitor goes grey and all coils die. I have to shut down and re-start to cure it. The game is running 1.24.

I am also having some audio hissing and popping. It is mostly happening during boot up, but also comes on the "game over" screen. I have checked and re-seated all connections on the boards and going into the CPU box as well as on the speakers. LTG also suggested checking my switch matrix which I did, and all switches appear to be functioning properly.

#2 5 years ago

Please check that the connector to the crystal ball is on tight and not rubbing the habitrail by it.

And be sure you don't have too many games on the same line.

LTG : )

#3 5 years ago

Connector at the Crystal ball is solid and no rubbing issues. I only have one other machine on the line, and it has been shut off both times the WOZ shutdown.

#4 5 years ago

Mandrick,
Certainly take Lloyds advice, but if all that checks out, try swapping out the ram on your motherboard.
My machine was randomly shutting down as well.
I swapped it out with another 4gb stick just to try it and now it has been 100%. Try to use a good quality brand stick if you can, but since your just doing it for a short test, normal ram shouldn't hurt.
Lloyd and Alex were very helpful resolving mine.
Not really JJP's fault. I fix quite a few PC's where I work and a lot of the time its just the ram.
JJP is using hi quality ram (Crucial Brand)

#5 5 years ago

Before you go replacing RAM, at least verify that its the PC that's the problem. When it white down, is the PC still running? Do you hear its fan? Can you reset the PC using the reset switch and does it reboot?

Even if it is the PC, it could be other things other than bad ram. Could be heat related, motherboard related, disk errors, lots of things. Seems like a stretch to go out and buy ram.

#6 5 years ago

Yes....when it shuts down the fan is still running. It appears that the program or something locks up. The screen goes black/grey saying "input" and the power shuts down to all coils etc. All the inserts lights that were on remain lit.

#7 5 years ago

Mines done it twice now as well.

#8 5 years ago

Ok, true, I don't spend money to buy ram. I meant borrow it from your PC desktop machine.
Mine would shut down all the lights, the screen would go blank, the fan would still be running.
Then the machine would just reboot. I think if it were heat related it would keep restarting or the display be sluggish.

#9 5 years ago

It sounds like the PC is freezing up. Not panicking and rebooting but outright locking up. Does your machine have the reset switch for the PC? This sort of problem can be caused by a number of things:
- heat, power supply, ram, motherboard, CPU, etc. What are your PC repair skills? If not good you might work with JJP to just swap the PC.

#10 5 years ago

While what Markmon says about heat, power supply etc are true, the easiest thing Mandrick can do is swap the ram if he has a PC available with 4gb's available.
Swapping the motherboard etc is a bit extreme for a simple memory stick.
If it turns out to be bad ram, JJP will send you another stick to replace your bad ram.
Happened to mine (I didn't ask for the replacement memory) and whocanitbenow.
Its worth it for the process of elimination.

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from Jasontaps:

While what Markmon says about heat, power supply etc are true, the easiest thing Mandrick can do is swap the ram if he has a PC available with 4gb's available.
Swapping the motherboard etc is a bit extreme for a simple memory stick.
If it turns out to be bad ram, JJP will send you another stick to replace your bad ram.
Happened to mine (I didn't ask for the replacement memory) and whocanitbenow.
Its worth it for the process of elimination.

I wouldn't recommend someone with no PC repair abilities to pull ram out of a working PC and put it into another. Ram is very ESD impact able. And there are different types of ram. Inserting. It wrong is a risk. For someone that is familiar with these things its a no brainer. But that person would have likely already tried this swap by now and this thread wouldn't be helpful. In my opinion, we need to verify its the PC. Sounds like it is. Then the person either knows how to swap PC components and check if the PC is the problem, or he doesn't. If he doesn't, a PC swap from JJP is probably required.

#12 5 years ago

I have not had the machine freeze up during play, but I tilted it last night and the "tilt" came up on the screen and then the machine froze. Had to re-boot.........has anyone seen that or have an suggestion. First time tilting......

#13 5 years ago

There is no such thing as "high quality RAM". It's all a total crapshoot. Even the "big" manuf. like Cruical, Corsair, etc have high failure rates in their sticks in my experience. There's a reason they offer a lifetime warranty on the crap and why the prices have fallen a LOT over the last few years...because it's cheap for them to make, expensive for you to buy, and the failure rate is absurd. I've had bad RAM straight from the store, bad RAM that failed after a week or two....the whole RAM market is just a joke at this point IMO.

#14 5 years ago

There are some limitations with high capacity RAM. To get the memory so large the cicuitry becomes extremly small and prone to destruction. When they get large enough they can even be damaged by radiation particles from the sun that bombards us every day. Maybe this is why failure rates are up.

#15 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballpete:

When they get large enough they can even be damaged by radiation particles from the sun that bombards us every day. Maybe this is why failure rates are up.

Oops, time to rescind ROHS and start lead-coating ram sticks!

#16 5 years ago

A Monkey can change out ram , if you have got some spare sitting around change it and see what happens .

#17 5 years ago
Quoted from criss:

A Monkey can change out ram , if you have got some spare sitting around change it and see what happens .

Ooooo aaaaa oooo aahhhhhhrgg

#18 5 years ago

Sorry that's bad advice. Motherboards use specific types of ram and if you insert the wrong ram you can damage the board and/or the ram.

Quoted from criss:

#19 5 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

Sorry that's bad advice. Motherboards use specific types of ram and if you insert the wrong ram you can damage the board and/or the ram.

PC3, DDR3 4gb stick.
Don't get too hung up on the ram speed if your only testing it for shut downs.

#20 5 years ago

It's also possible there is a corruption/bug in the 1.24 software... mine began rebooting immediately after upload.. erased/formated USB stick/reloaded... problem solved. There are also others reporting episodic/or atleast one time reboots since the upgrade (read the JJP forums) and I think Lloyd told me his machine did it once after the download... so may just be software issue if others suggested here don't check out..

#21 5 years ago

It happened to me on the first game I played after installing 1.24. Has not happened again (as of now).

#22 5 years ago

I think a "computer" kind of person would instinctively have already swapped the RAM stick.

I've seen people mess up the socket clips by not knowing how to remove RAM.

Have someone walk you through it over the phone!

#23 5 years ago

Your going to need this team to install that ram , its tough work
workers-install-ram-pc-3016270.jpg

#24 5 years ago

I know you don't think it's the CB connector, but it sure sounds like it. Have you tried playing a few games with the CB unplugged? If the problem goes away you know what you're dealing with.

#25 5 years ago

My WOZ was doing this on 1.18 (I think that was the ver) and still on the delta 1.23 (forgive me if I got the version #s wrong).
I did get the reboot issue within 10 games of 1.24 then again 23 games later.
I changed ram, and now at least 50 games in, no issues anymore.

#26 5 years ago
Quoted from criss:

Your going to need this team to install that ram , its tough work

Quoted from whocanitbenow:

Try to use a good quality brand stick if you can, but since your just doing it for a short test, normal ram shouldn't hurt.

Quoted from Jasontaps:

PC3, DDR3 4gb stick.
Don't get too hung up on the ram speed if your only testing it for shut downs.

Jeeez people, if you still cant figure out the difference between "your" and "you're" then just type out YOU ARE when that is what you're trying to say!!

#27 5 years ago

LOl

#28 5 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

Jeeez people, if you still cant figure out the difference between "your" and "you're" then just type out YOU ARE when that is what you're trying to say!!

C'mon man. If you can't put in the apostrophe then just type out cannot

#29 5 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions. I am going to call JJ tomorrow and add the issue to my ticket for the audio hiss. I am more than capable of changing ram, boards etc (not sure how the thread turned into that) but just wanted to know if anyone else was having these issues and if there was a known issue/solution before I changed anything.

#30 5 years ago
Quoted from mandrick:

I am going to call JJ tomorrow

Send me an email please. service AT jerseyjackpinball DOT com

I'll need some info and run this by the engineers.

#31 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Send me an email please. service AT jerseyjackpinball DOT com
I'll need some info and run this by the engineers.

Will do, I already have an open ticket that I will quote.

Thanks again.

#32 5 years ago
Quoted from eyeguypec:

I have not had the machine freeze up during play, but I tilted it last night and the "tilt" came up on the screen and then the machine froze. Had to re-boot.........has anyone seen that or have an suggestion. First time tilting......

I had this happen once on 1.24.

#33 5 years ago
Quoted from Toasterdog:

C'mon man. If you can't put in the apostrophe then just type out cannot

Crap, I did that, didn't I?

#34 5 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

Crap, I did that, didn't I?

Maybe you just meant to type the other C word.

#35 5 years ago

Murphy's Law of Grammar Admonitions: When correcting someone's grammar, you are bound to include a grammatical error. damn.

#36 5 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

grammar-7-cfed390b-sz850x1138-animate.jpg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 11,500.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Winter Haven, FL
$ 28.00
$ 189.00

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside