(Topic ID: 232504)

WOZ: "Shoot the castle" repeating & clicking noises

By harryhoudini

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider harryhoudini.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

Occasionally during gameplay I'll notice that I get more and more "shoot the castle" nagging from the game, over and over, repeated one right after another. Eventually there will be a repeated clicking sound in the game somewhere. It's hard to make it happen and it's hard to hear where the sound is emanating from but if I had to guess I would be under the playfield near the top. Nothing seems stuck and there doesn't appear to be any action from the game needed. In fact, when being told to shoot the castle I don't even know if every time the castle was lit up. When this first happened to me the repeated statements and the clicking went on for a good 30-60 seconds.

You can hear it happen right at the beginning of this video. You'll hear "shoot the castle", "shoot the castle" ... "click click click", etc.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/gvE3uaPuiFuaJgaS9

The only thing I've seen on the switch tests as an issue right now is the right castle door switch is too sensitive so I get a lot of "oh we oh" Rescue mode happening when I am not in the upper playfield. I don't know if this is related but I'm going to fix that switch soon so I can see if that solves anything. Like I said it's impossible to repeat the issue, as far as I know, as it just happens occasionally.

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinballomatic:

Drop target switch. Game can’t clear it so pops the target repeatedly trying to clear it. Check switch it is out of adjustment or loose.

AH makes sense. I'll check that out while I do the lighted winky mod. Thanks!

#7 5 years ago

Thanks folks... the "pound" test hadn't revealed anything when I Was testing the right castle door. I agree the switch alignment, after understanding that the clicking is the drop target trying to reset, or alignment of the drop target itself. Planning some time to remove the castle playfield to fix the door and install some other mods so I'll check on it soon. Thanks!

#8 5 years ago

So I pulled the upper playfield and I have it sitting on my bench. Now what?! I thought they were leaf switches that I could adjust. Looks like the doors have to come off the motors to get them out of the way and get to the switches.

My right door is about 5 degrees rotated compared to the left door, so I'll assume that has something to do with it. I see a piece of red, what looks like tape, on the shaft of the right door where it connects with the switch. Not sure if that is stock but looks like someone might have done some "adjusting" with that. Either way it looks like the adjustment might be unscrewing the switch and moving it a bit? Can I rotate the door on the shaft? It looks like the screw that holds the doors to the shafts goes through it so probably can't rotate?

Thanks!

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

The door is held on by two screws. The door shaft is held to the motor by two allen head set screws.
Page C-37 and page C-38 in the manual has the parts layout. You can download the manual from jerseyjackpinball.com
LTG : )

Thanks, I think my question was more about what I am adjusting. Am I looking at moving the switch (loosening the screws on the switch) or is there some other method of adjustment?

#12 5 years ago

Cool, so it's not through the post. Thanks!

#13 5 years ago

Looks like the right door was helped with the re-alignment but I am still having an issue with the left door. Here is the video, basically it opens about halfway and that is all. The actual travel of the door (if I try and move it fully open while it is trying to open) is all there. I can feel the spring pulling against it (but not overly so). It almost seems like the motor doesn't have enough umph to move it. The set screws are tight.

Thoughts?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/7tfYnc9wJMcUux257

#15 5 years ago

The door could be too low - you know how a flipper can sometimes not be gapped up enough over a bushing and drag such that the spring can’t pull it back? Well the doors can get too low and then the motor can’t turn them freely. Check for that - compare the height of your good door to the bad one you may need to raise it ever so slightly.

AH ok, there doesn't feel like any drag but I'll take a look.

#17 5 years ago

You have to check that from below

Yup, gotcha.. when I had it out I was testing both doors and it just seemed like it moved smoothly. I'll flip it over again.

#18 5 years ago

So I had the Castle playfield in and out a bunch of times now trying to adjust the doors. I loosened the two hex locking bolts and did my best to pry the door away from the motor to move it up and away from the playfield... there is not a lot of give there. But I really don't think there is much friction there from the height of the door. I am back to the place I started, the left door opens about half way and when it is trying to open I can push it further no problem but it won't stay. The spring tension feels about the same as the right door and I don't think that could be preventing it from opening, I hope the motors are stronger than that. So is it possibly a bad motor?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 85.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 29.99
Hardware
Classic Game Rooms

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Stephenson, VA
Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 395.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 24.50
$ 5.00
$ 16.95
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 55.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 91.00
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
St. Clair Shores, MI
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider harryhoudini.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/woz-shoot-the-castle-repeating-amp-clicking-noises?tu=harryhoudini and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.