Topic Stats

• 40 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by bflagg
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

Hey guys - received and installed my WOZ shaker motor this weekend. I don't think it's working correctly. Yes, I feel it come on and shake every now and again but almost haphazardly. It shakes a slight bit when the ball goes to the throne room and shakes every now and again during the twister mode. But it's almost as if it's binding. For example, the last time the twister mode activated, I could feel and hear buzzing, NOT THE SHAKER VIBRATING, coming from the front of the machine. It's as if it was trying to shake, but couldn't. Anyone have a similar problem? Is there a mechanical adjustment I should make on the shaker? Yes, I know there is a software adjustment in settings and I have set it to high. That does make it work a little better and with more force, but I am afraid if it's binding, I'll end up burning it up. Thoughts?

#2 10 years ago

Can't help you with your issue but can you tell me where you sourced a shaker at. From your post, it sounds as though you received it after you got your game. I am looking to buy one.

#3 10 years ago

Good point. Do you have an LE, or were you putting an aftermarket shaker into a standard? If it's a replacement shaker from JJP, then I wouldn't even mess with it...I'd just submit a ticket and get another one. It's not functioning properly from your description.

On an unrelated note, I'd like to know how you like the WOZ/LOTR combination you've got going since I'll have the same combo in a week or so. Any tips on that machine (which scares me because it's a new thing for me to learn) would be greatly appreciated! (Since you already talked me through a Cliffy install on the phone...)

-Randy

#4 10 years ago

Thanks guys. It is a WOZ standard and the shaker was shipped straight from JJP. I think I will open a ticket and see what Lloyd has to say.

Randy - I absolutely love having the two games I have LOTR/WOZ. I play them both daily. I am a huge fan of Cliffy's and I would definitely ensure you have the LOTR set installed prior to doing too much playing. I bought my LOTR about 8 months ago and it was HUO. The playfield was and still is perfect. I love the Cliffy's.

I have done a few things with the LOTR - added Cliffy's, added the complete set of pinbits plastic protectors, POTD lighted figures, and I am getting ready to get Jay's Palantir mod. That will be it really doesn't need much, if anything from stock. It's a great game. I really haven't had many issues with the game. Before I bought it, the game had literally sat unused for about 7 years so the Barad Dur tower was stuck, a little push and she was freed up and working fine. No corrosion at all. The only other issue I have had with the game at all is the GI relay was sticking. But that was a quick fix. Took much longer for me to figure out what was causing the GI issue than to actually fix it....

If you have any questions, you have my number. But you'll love LOTR. Can't wait to put my Hobbit next to it As well as fixing the Space Invaders and Mata Hari I have in pieces waiting for the spring so I can spray them....

#5 10 years ago

OK - put in a trouble ticket, but while I am waiting for that to be answered, anyone have any thoughts on the shaker or have issues with yours? I definitely think the shaker is the problem. It comes on (or tries) when it is supposed to (i.e. when the ball goes to the throne room or the house spins, etc). The problem is, in medium setting, you almost can't even tell it's hooked up. In high, you can definitely tell it's there, but it seems unbalanced as hell. Not smooth at all. I did check the weights and they seem to be on there fine. Maybe the motor is just bad.

#6 10 years ago

Are the weights adjustable? I've heard people setting the weights 90 degrees from each other as a sweet spot....

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from toro1966:

OK - put in a trouble ticket, but while I am waiting for that to be answered, anyone have any thoughts on the shaker or have issues with yours? I definitely think the shaker is the problem. It comes on (or tries) when it is supposed to (i.e. when the ball goes to the throne room or the house spins, etc). The problem is, in medium setting, you almost can't even tell it's hooked up. In high, you can definitely tell it's there, but it seems unbalanced as hell. Not smooth at all. I did check the weights and they seem to be on there fine. Maybe the motor is just bad.

Yeah, Ray...you did the right thing. Your shaker is shot, and you'll just have to swap it out. I'll install the cliffy's on the LOTR as you instructed, but I might have to get Mike Chestnut to brass plate 'em for me so they match everything else on the PF. I think it might stick out too much in silver, no? Let me know if I'm wrong. Also have to dress up the Shire a bit as well from what I've heard. I'll be in touch...IF I can find your phone number on my cell!

Thanks again for the offer of help!

#8 10 years ago

Anyone know if there is a way to actuate the shaker to test it in settings?

#9 10 years ago

It's in the coils menu - JJP told me to put it on the repeat setting (I think) so that it cycles on and off. There are three settings, if I remember...manual, repeat, and a constant setting. Repeat will just go on and off over and over until you stop the test. When you installed the shaker, did you make sure the spinning weights didn't rub against any wires leading out of the housing? JJP told me that's a big reason for many shaker issues...the spinner tears up the wires. Might be worth a look.

#10 10 years ago

Counter weights may just need tightening. No way to tell unless you get inside and see.

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

It's in the coils menu - JJP told me to put it on the repeat setting (I think) so that it cycles on and off. There are three settings, if I remember...manual, repeat, and a constant setting. Repeat will just go on and off over and over until you stop the test. When you installed the shaker, did you make sure the spinning weights didn't rub against any wires leading out of the housing? JJP told me that's a big reason for many shaker issues...the spinner tears up the wires. Might be worth a look.

Thanks Randy - I definitely made sure the wires were routed cleanly and clear of the counterweights.

Quoted from RawleyD:

Counter weights may just need tightening. No way to tell unless you get inside and see.

I'll check it again, but that was one of the things I checked before I installed it - just to be sure...

2 weeks later
#12 10 years ago

Hey guys - update and another question. Got the replacement shaker installed and so far it does not seem to be "siezing" up like the other one - but still not right in my opinion.

It does shake a little when going to the Wizard throne room, but during twister mode - it feels like the shaker weights are spinning, but they aren't shaking the cabinet - does that makes sense? I will pull the cover today to check it out again, but that's the best way to describe it.

If I put the shaker setting on HIGH - it does seem to shake pretty good during twister mode. Anyone else having this same issue? With it in Medium - does anyone else have issues with it shaking during Twister mode? Thanks for the help.

#13 10 years ago

I bumped it up to high after the 1.23 or 1.24 update. I found it shook far less after that point - may be a code issue. Put it on high and you'll be happy. I don't think it's the motor...or maybe it is. Who knows? It's tough to keep it all straight when you're fixing 5 things at once!

#14 10 years ago

So you have yours on high Randy? Anyone else have theirs on high as well or notice that on Medium it shakes very little?

#15 10 years ago

Ok - the shaker is definitely locking up again. You can hear it, feel it, and see it. It basically starts buzzing and you can feel a vibration and then i just give one of the pendulums a slight push and it starts spinning...Could this one be bad too?

#16 10 years ago

It could. I had to get to my third one before I was happy. The weights aren't hitting anything, I'm assuming, so it must be something wrong with the motor.

And somebody else did have the problem with medium settings, which is why I put it on high too!

#17 10 years ago

Correct - nothing is hitting anything. I kept the cover off just to make sure and I had the door open so I could see it move - or attempt to...

Have updated my trouble ticket with Lloyd. Hopefully he'll have some ideas...

#18 10 years ago

Waiting for Lloyd to get back to me on my trouble ticket (there is no sarcasm here - he's been very helpful and I just updated the ticket a few days ago) - but in the mean time I figured I would check the group to see if any have similar issues.

As mentioned, replacement shaker is installed and it definitely locks up. In twister mode for example, many times it won't start, you can feel the buzzing. If I open the door and give one of the weights a push, it will start spinning as it should. I set it on high and so far have not had the same issue. Though I have only played a couple of games with it on high so I can not say that result is definitive.

Assuming it works on high, I don't consider that a solution given that it is supposed to work on medium and I actually like the amount of shake on medium (when it actually shakes/works...)

Also, assuming it does work on high, could this be a voltage problem. I am not an expert, but am I correct to assume that the game's software changes shaker speed by varying voltage? More voltage - faster spin/more shake? If so, could this also potentially be a software issue?

Again just shooting in the dark here and we have a LOT of smart people on these forums - figured I would throw it out there. Thanks.

#19 10 years ago

No thoughts?

#20 10 years ago

Ok - more info. I am hoping maybe some of you with a shaker can test yours out for me to see if it is doing the same thing.

It seems to be pretty consistent. When the shaker is set to medium it WILL NOT start in Twister Mode. All connections are fine and it is being given the signal to start because you can hear and feel it buzzing and if I open the door and give the pendulum a push, it will start moving. One more note - It appears to function properly in medium in every other instance (i.e. wizard throne, etc), in other words, it just appears to have a problem right now with Twister Mode.

If I change the setting to high, the shaker works as it should. Thanks everyone.

#21 10 years ago

Mine works on medium in twister mode. Sorry.

#22 10 years ago

Thanks - that's actually a good thing. Might just mean I have another bad shaker. There are those that have gone through several to get a working one. I am waiting now for what Lloyd thinks we should do next. It did this with 1.25 and 2.0 as well. I have checked all connections, ensured there were no wires in the way. Given that it starts when I push the pendulum - I am inclined to believe it is mechanical.

#23 10 years ago
Quoted from toro1966:

Thanks - that's actually a good thing. Might just mean I have another bad shaker. There are those that have gone through several to get a working one. I am waiting now for what Lloyd thinks we should do next. It did this with 1.25 and 2.0 as well. I have checked all connections, ensured there were no wires in the way. Given that it starts when I push the pendulum - I am inclined to believe it is mechanical.

Just a thought, but maybe you could ship your shaker to Lloyd and he could test it on his game.

#24 10 years ago

At this point I am not confident it is the shaker. After all - the shaker works EXACTLY as it should in medium - until you activate Twister mode. That's what's not really making sense. It is possible it is the shaker, but why does it work in all modes but twister?

Any NOVA guys with a WOZ want a little company to test my shakers?

#25 10 years ago
Quoted from toro1966:

At this point I am not confident it is the shaker. After all - the shaker works EXACTLY as it should in medium - until you activate Twister mode. That's what's not really making sense. It is possible it is the shaker, but why does it work in all modes but Twister?
Any NOVA guys with a WOZ want a little company to test my shakers?

I wish I had mine. You would have been welcome to come over and try it out. Unfortunately I am still waiting for my ECLE.
There are not many WOZ on the Pinside map in our area.

#26 10 years ago

More updates. What can I say, I am OCD and persistent. I have some more info on symptoms. First - if I understand it correctly, when twister mode is activated, the shaker progressively gets stronger and then finally continuous with each trip around the house. The first munchkin frenzy is at 10 laps. The shaker should progress from just a quick spin and get progressively stronger until the munchkin frenzy is activated. If I get the ball into munchkin land and start making laps - the first lap gives me my buzzing/vibrating symptom - as if the shaker wants to go but won't - and if I push the pendulum - it will spin. If I continue to make laps , the buzzing goes away, the shaker frees itself, and it progresses with each lap until the last lap where it is continuous and shaking - exactly as it should be.

So the issue seems to be on initiation of the shaker. If I make just one lap, and then miss the ball so it drains through the upper playfield, the buzzing and non-movement of the shaker continues until twister mode runs out. If while this is going, I shoot it up to munchkin land and make more laps, the shaker progresses as it should.

It's almost as if the first actuation signal for this mode is not right. Software issue perhaps?

I know I am asking a lot, but can someone - with their shaker set to medium - activate twister mode, and make just one lap and then observe your shaker. Is it spinning, is it shaking, or is it still and vibrating? Thanks everyone.

One last question, is there a way to lubricate the pendulums. It's almost as if the signal/voltage on the initial start to get the shaker spinning is not enough. It does spin fairly freely when I spin it, but not loosely. In other words, if I push one of the pendulums, it may make a half turn and not a turn or more. Perhaps if I lubed it might free up easier?

#27 10 years ago
Quoted from toro1966:

More updates. What can I say, I am OCD and persistent. I have some more info on symptoms. First - if I understand it correctly, when Twister mode is activated, the shaker progressively gets stronger and then finally continuous with each trip around the house. The first munchkin frenzy is at 10 laps. The shaker should progress from just a quick spin and get progressively stronger until the munchkin frenzy is activated. If I get the ball into munchkin land and start making laps - the first lap gives me my buzzing/vibrating symptom - as if the shaker wants to go but won't - and if I push the pendulum - it will spin. If I continue to make laps , the buzzing goes away, the shaker frees itself, and it progresses with each lap until the last lap where it is continuous and shaking - exactly as it should be.
So the issue seems to be on initiation of the shaker. If I make just one lap, and then miss the ball so it drains through the upper playfield, the buzzing and non-movement of the shaker continues until Twister mode runs out. If while this is going, I shoot it up to munchkin land and make more laps, the shaker progresses as it should.
It's almost as if the first actuation signal for this mode is not right. Software issue perhaps?
I know I am asking a lot, but can someone - with their shaker set to medium - activate Twister mode, and make just one lap and then observe your shaker. Is it spinning, is it shaking, or is it still and vibrating? Thanks everyone.
One last question, is there a way to lubricate the pendulums. It's almost as if the signal/voltage on the initial start to get the shaker spinning is not enough. It does spin fairly freely when I spin it, but not loosely. In other words, if I push one of the pendulums, it may make a half turn and not a turn or more. Perhaps if I lubed it might free up easier?

This behavior seems normal. If you lose the ball from the Twister mode before starting a Munchkin mode with enough loops, there is a vibration (not a shake) that continues, and you can continue Twister mode with a ramp shot. Once the vibration stops, the Twister mode is over and a ramp shot is not deflected to the loop. My game has operated this way since I got it in October. Other modes give normal vibrations.

#28 10 years ago

And remember . . . this JJP shaker motor is nowhere as violent as my Stern shaker motors. Shaker motors on my Avatar and LOTR LE rattle my floors and windows! The WOZ shaker is much weaker.

Mike in Kentucky

#29 10 years ago

Wow for all the love JJP get people post a hell of a lot of problems with his games

#30 10 years ago
Quoted from ek77:

Wow for all the love JJP get people post a hell of a lot of problems with his games

There's no problem. The shaker/game is working fine. The OP is just confused about what the shaker is supposed to do during Twister mode. This is silly. He has no issue.

#31 10 years ago

Yeah. Way to waste JJP's/Lloyd's time and money for a non-problem! Re-readintg the whole thread, I too realized there was never a problem with either shaker. Seems like they programmed a 'buzz' for the start and timeout period of Twister mode. I never gave it a second thought--it always behaved that way. Whatta waste....

#32 10 years ago

...no such thing as a stupid question...

#33 10 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

Yeah. Way to waste JJP's/Lloyd's time and money for a non-problem! Re-readintg the whole thread, I too realized there was never a problem with either shaker. Seems like they programmed a 'buzz' for the start and timeout period of Twister mode. I never gave it a second thought--it always behaved that way. Whatta waste....

I don't think it was a waste at all. Mine behaves exactly the same way, and it IS strange that you can't feel anything when the shaker is set to medium (which is the factory default). Since I was on my third shaker (my first two blew fuses and whined), I just shrugged and set it to high and was happy. But I can certainly see thinking the shaker motor could have been bad when you've already been through one or two bad ones. A little sensitivity to other's concerns would go a long way here...

#34 10 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

There's no problem. The shaker/game is working fine. The OP is just confused about what the shaker is supposed to do during Twister mode. This is silly. He has no issue.

Look around this is not the first thread on problems for the WOZ game not even close.

#35 10 years ago
Quoted from ek77:

Look around this is not the first thread on problems for the WOZ game not even close.

Look around at the Stern threads. Just as many problems. It's pinball, for Christ's sake. Stop trying to stir the JJP-hater pot. It's your second post with the same theme. It's a great machine with startup company design problems. Mine was bad for a while but solid as a rock now. Time to move on to crapping on another company...

#36 10 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Look around at the Stern threads. Just as many problems. It's pinball, for Christ's sake. Stop trying to stir the JJP-hater pot. It's your second post with the same theme. It's a great machine with startup company design problems. Mine was bad for a while but solid as a rock now. Time to move on to crapping on another company...

Stern has never had the blind love JJP gets as for startup companies how many years does he get to be a startup Jack is three years in now and has not finished his first 1000 games

#37 10 years ago

That will eventually burn out the windings in the motor.....lowering the voltage to the point of making the motor hum without spinning is not a good thing for motors.......

And the craziest shaker has got to be in my Roadshow. My concrete floors must be cracking under the rug.....

#38 10 years ago
Quoted from ek77:

Stern has never had the blind love JJP gets as for startup companies how many years does he get to be a startup Jack is three years in now and has not finished his first 1000 games

No blind love from me either. I'm a fan of both, though. And he's still on his first product, so he's still a startup. When Hobbit's out, he's no longer a rookie.

#39 10 years ago

Guys - I AM THE OP AND I AM NOT CONFUSED AT ALL AND THIS IS NOT NORMAL. IF IT IS, IT IS EFFED UP! Yes, I meant to yell. Looking at some of the comments here just pissed me off. While I may not be the most experienced pin owner - this is NOT how the shaker should work - and these are not the kind of comments that make for a good community forum, i.e. :

Quoted from StevenP:

My skin is fairly thick, but I bend over backwards to help any and all in our community and this is not how we should be treating people.

Additionally,

Quoted from scottc:

That will eventually burn out the windings in the motor.....lowering the voltage to the point of making the motor hum without spinning is not a good thing for motors.......
And the craziest shaker has got to be in my roadshow. My concrete floors must be cracking under the rug.....

This is exactly what is happening. when it starts in Twister, it will just buzz/humm - as if enough power was not being provided to get it to start turning. What I still don't understand is why, if that is by design, it will start spinning if I give the pendulum a push. More importantly, if that is by design, it is going to be a problem as discussed above in the quoted thread. Motors were not design to do this and they will end up burning out.

Given all the responses, it certainly appears as if that is by design though. Hopefully it will get addressed in a future release.

Finally, I have been clear and up front with the symptoms with Lloyd for weeks. If this was a non-issue - it could have been resolved weeks ago. I don't blame Lloyd because he has bent over backwards to help everyone and I know he is dealing with a number of tickets.

As far as the below:

Quoted from kaneda:

Not sure how this is silly. This behavior is not normal or consistent with any other shaker n any other game I have owned/played. There is no documentation that describes this behavior, and until today, I had received no posts that gave any indication that this was normal.

I do, however, want to thank all of those that provided some good constructive feedback and assistance. It is appreciated and will help ensure this forum is where people of ALL experience levels feel comfortable. No one was born an expert...

#40 10 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

You just got served Ray - Barry

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Stephenson, VA
$ 9,000.00
Pinball Machine
Pixels Arcade Games

9,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Santa Maria, CA
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
St. Clair Shores, MI
Lighting - Led
Pinball Mod Co.

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 85.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Burlingame, CA
$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 225.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/woz-shaker-motor-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.