By Eryeal

1 year ago

Stats

• 22 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by merccat
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

Find

Search this topic for posts matching certain words or written by a specific Pinsider. Or both!

Linked Games

#1 1 year ago

Hi everyone,

I apologize as I'm sure perhaps some others may have had similar issues in other threads - did some searching and found some answers to some questions, but I have some others.

Just got my WOZ RR today - beautiful machine! Here's the problems I had out of the box:

1. Major problem - witch. It made an EXTREMELY loud grinding sound upon first startup for about 2-3 seconds (like gears grinding on gears), then it died. Doesn't go up or down at all, even during testing. I did just open up a support ticket - curious if anyone experienced problems here.

2. Minor issues after upgrading the software. First boot - crystal ball just had writing in it. Turn off and back on - second boot crystal ball worked, but no playfield lights. Off and on - third boot and those two issues haven't come back after a few cycles. Normal at all?

3. Lots of static in speakers during start-up - goes away after a few seconds. If the machine is idle it comes and goes. Not noticeable during gameplay. Very noticeable when you go into the settings at any time (static comes back immediately once you enter into the settings menu).

Thanks!

#2 1 year ago

Sorry to hear you are having these issues. The tech support at JJP is very good and I am sure they will get your issues fixed, especially item 1.

If I had to guess, it sounds like your game took a bit of a beating during shipping. Have you gone through and made sure all your connections to all your boards and the connectors to the PC are completely seated? I am thinking that might be where some of that static is coming from in your speakers.

As an FYI, I have an ECLE, and I haven't experienced any of the issues above. The only problem mine had was 1 single failed light board, that was warrantied and fixed within 2 weeks.

#3 1 year ago
Quoted from parabol420:

Sorry to hear you are having these issues. The tech support at JJP is very good and I am sure they will get your issues fixed, especially item 1.
If I had to guess, it sounds like your game took a bit of a beating during shipping. Have you gone through and made sure all your connections to all your boards and the connectors to the PC are completely seated? I am thinking that might be where some of that static is coming from in your speakers.
As an FYI, I have an ECLE, and I haven't experienced any of the issues above. The only problem mine had was 1 single failed light board, that was warrantied and fixed within 2 weeks.

Thanks for the quick response - yes I did a quick cursory connection check, but I will do one more in depth shortly. Actually I've only had the machine up and running for about an hour now, but will definitely do this.

#4 1 year ago

1 - You can remove the plastic tube over the witch and see if it works. The assembly could be bent and binding.

2 - Please check that the connector to the cyrstal ball is on tight and on tight at the mother board. The reseat the sd card behind the crystal ball and be sure it is in tight.

3 - Be sure all RCA audio plugs are in tight behind the big metal box with all the boards and inside to the sound board. You might try reseating them or cleaning them.

LTG : )

#5 1 year ago
Quoted from Eryeal:

Turn off and back on - second boot crystal ball worked, but no playfield lights. Off and on - third boot and those two issues haven't come back after a few cycles.

Interesting. Out of countless boots that have worked properly, I've had a total of two boots where I have no playfield lights. I can start and play a game, but all the lights are out. Both times, when I rebooted, things were ok again. This was a rare occurrence, but I put in a ticket just to make sure there wasn't a larger issue.

#6 1 year ago

Like someone said remove the witch tube and give it a try. The witch mechanism is likely bent and the hat is catching. You'll need to grasp the mechanism from the underside and slightly bend it back.

It does sound like a rather violent delivery but Frank and Lloyd will get you straight.

I've had audio problems since new. Reseat rca and usb connections at back of large silver box both inside and outside. I put pull ties on the outer back box connections to just snug them up a little and my problem of channels dropping out went away.

#7 1 year ago

Thanks everyone for your assistance - still no response from JJP, but it's been less than 24 hours so no biggie there. Good news is that the witch appears to hopefully be fixed. At your suggestions I removed the case, made sure she was aligned a bit better, and also adjusted the optos as they seemed to not be accurate as well. After doing this, the witch is now moving up and down, and there hasn't been a repeat of that initial grinding noise. Also there have been no further issues with either the crystal ball or playfield lights. The only outstanding issue from my original post is the speaker static - but again not very concerned about it because during gameplay, it is gone completely. It's only when going into settings does it come back. I did the suggestions but they had no effect, but not a priority fix right now.

But there is one other issue I found - the witch legs coming out of the house only come out about halfway. I haven't looked closely at the mech yet. I did adjust the power of the coil but that had no effect. Any initial thoughts there and/or has anyone else had this problem?

#9 1 year ago

There is a known issue with speaker hum -- electromagnetic interference caused by the lights on the playfield. it's especially prominent when the lights all light up white (during attract mode sequences). The hum gets drowned out during gameplay, and is inaudible if there are other games being played or more than a couple people in the room. It can be annoying when it's just you and the game in the room, though.

There is a line filter on the speaker wire as it comes out of the PC in the cab. Moving this around to a different spot or rotating it can reduce the hum. There are other threads on the subject.

The witch hat catching on things is a common issue, too, and easily fixed (probably happened during shipping or packaging / unpackaging). Just gotta bend her a little.

#10 1 year ago
Quoted from HarryReimer:

http://www.pinplay.com/8/woz_video_tutorial_how_to_calibrate_dorothys_house.html Here you go.

Awesome! Thank you very much - this was fast and easy. I came across those settings but initially didn't realize that once you calibrate the house you need to spin it again. Got it working.

#11 1 year ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

There is a known issue with speaker hum -- electromagnetic interference caused by the lights on the playfield. it's especially prominent when the lights all light up white (during attract mode sequences). The hum gets drowned out during gameplay, and is inaudible if there are other games being played or more than a couple people in the room. It can be annoying when it's just you and the game in the room, though.
There is a line filter on the speaker wire as it comes out of the PC in the cab. Moving this around to a different spot or rotating it can reduce the hum. There are other threads on the subject.
The witch hat catching on things is a common issue, too, and easily fixed (probably happened during shipping or packaging / unpackaging). Just gotta bend her a little.

Perfect! That led me to this video:
» YouTube video

Solved the problem, or at least reduced it by 90% - can't really hear the humming now unless you are right at the speaker in the settings. Much, much better. Thanks!

#12 1 year ago

Sorry you had issues but I appreciate your business and thanks for trading me the pin sold earlier this year to you back. I will email you a pic of it in my personal collection room.

Thanks again. Glad Lloyd and others were able to help but you you were so smart to find the help in advance. The red really stands out and the light show is incredible on Woz. I hope it provides many years of enjoyment.

#13 1 year ago

I need to do this audio fix on mine - same thing, buzzing / interference particularly in test mode. Which playfield position gives the best access, fully raised and folded back?

Also pro-tip - put something soft between the state fair bumper cap and the rubber on the top of the backbox.

#14 1 year ago
Quoted from system11:

Also pro-tip - put something soft between the state fair bumper cap and the rubber on the top of the backbox.

Pro-er tip Put something between the apron and the backbox so the state fair balloon doesn't touch the backbox.

3 weeks later
#15 1 year ago

Hi folks ... I have another problem. I noticed my wizard plastic wasn't lighting up anymore. I was able to take it apart and get to the LED light strip, which doesn't seem to be working. For some reason if I hold the middle light in the strip down with some decent force, it starts to work (blink). Do I need a new LED strip? Anyone run into this problem before?

#16 1 year ago
Quoted from Eryeal:

Hi folks ... I have another problem. I noticed my wizard plastic wasn't lighting up anymore. I was able to take it apart and get to the LED light strip, which doesn't seem to be working. For some reason if I hold the middle light in the strip down with some decent force, it starts to work (blink). Do I need a new LED strip? Anyone run into this problem before?

Contact JJP. Those light strips are fragile.
After warranty they are not hard to make at home from strips you can buy on Amazon.

#17 1 year ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Contact JJP. Those light strips are fragile.
After warranty they are not hard to make at home from strips you can buy on Amazon.

OK just did - opened up a ticket .. Lloyd if you see this it's 9257. Thanks.

#18 1 year ago
Quoted from Eryeal:

Lloyd if you see this it's 9257.

Updated and alerted JJP parts to assist you.

#19 1 year ago
Quoted from LTG:

Updated and alerted JJP parts to assist you.

Thank you!

2 months later
#20 1 year ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

Interesting. Out of countless boots that have worked properly, I've had a total of two boots where I have no playfield lights. I can start and play a game, but all the lights are out. Both times, when I rebooted, things were ok again. This was a rare occurrence, but I put in a ticket just to make sure there wasn't a larger issue.

This has happened to me as well.. Less now with 6.06

#21 1 year ago
Quoted from HarryReimer:

This has happened to me as well.. Less now with 6.06

JJP told me to move around the USB plugs in the back of the box under the playfield. I moved the two that I had room to move to lower slots. I haven't had the problem since, but given that it only happened once every couple of months in the first place, I'm not sure if I'm out of the woods yet.

#22 1 year ago

Most likely its a bios or underlying OS thing with the PC and not necessarily an issue with the WOZ game/app itself running on it. Kind of like that rare occasion when my laptop at work doesn't recognize my usb video adaptor... Come to think of it, its almost exactly the same frequency... Hrrrmmm. Lol.

I think it happens to me maybe once every 3-4 weeks+ and I fire it up almost every night.

If it were to happen on any sort of regular basis it might be something to worry about but as it is, it's perfectly fine in my opinion.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 14.95

Note: This is an old thread. The last post was made to it 476 days ago. Resurrecting old threads is not necessarily a bad thing, if you think the topic is still relevant and/or your post is beneficial to it (e.g. following up on something). In other cases, it might be better to create a new topic.

Wanna join the discussion? Sign up for a Pinside account, or log in if you already have an account.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside