• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20200229_194945 (resized).jpg
#1 4 years ago

I'm having a strange problem with Woz.

The game seems to play fine, but I've had to replace fuse 710 three times in the past 2 days. It doesn't blow immediately so I'm trying to locate the problem. I can play for a quite awhile before the fuse blows.

I found a potential clue, but looking for some advice on how to troubleshoot (or fix) it.

Every coil under fuse 710 works in Coil test, even with the COIN DOOR OPEN. (This is not correct.)

Every other coil NOT in the 710 fuse circuit will only fire in test mode when the coin door is closed (correct operation. )

Does anyone have an idea how or why the coils in the 710 fuse circuit can fire in test with the coin door open?

I'm assuming if this issue is corrected, the fuse may stop from blowing intermittently.

#2 4 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

Does anyone have an idea how or why the coils in the 710 fuse circuit can fire in test with the coin door open?

Because they are 20 volt, not high power. And not associated with the high power interlock switch for the 50 volt coils. Something on that line is having an issue.

LTG : )

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Because they are 20 volt, not high power. And not associated with the high power interlock switch for the 50 volt coils. Something on that line is having an issue.

Check the drop target retract. Coil wrapper burned ? Switch on drop target working properly so the game knows if it's up or down and doesn't keep firing ?

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Check the drop target retract. Coil wrapper burned ? Switch on drop target working properly so the game knows if it's up or down and doesn't keep firing ?

I suspected the small retract coil. I recall it burning during Melt The Wtch awhile back. But it is working. I played a 10+ minute game with the glass off, focusing on hitting the winkie target and bashing the castle doors repeatedly without blowing F710. Doors and target all worked perfectly.

In regular gameplay, it is working fine. The winkie target behaves normally so I assume the switch is working correctly.

I haven't gotten to MTW recently, however the coil wrapper is very wrinkled from getting hot previously when it was held down as required in the final stage of MTW. I had to turn off the game because of the burning smell. But as I play it now (without reaching MTW) the retract coil works during test and gameplay despite the wrinkled wrapper.

Lloyd, are you saying it is normal for all coils under the 710 fuse to fire during coil test without closing the coin door? None of the other coils operate like that.

I thought coil test required that the coin door be shut for any coils to work during coil test without exception.

The only error I receive is monkey magnet sensor D06 switch. But the magnet catches the ball 100% from the right orbit when lit. It misses from the left orbit sometimes. Still need to troubleshoot that, but it seems unrelated. (Where exactly is that left sensor? )

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

Lloyd, are you saying it is normal for all coils under the 710 fuse to fire during coil test without closing the coin door? None of the other coils operate like that.

Yes. F710 is for LOW POWER 20 volt coils. High power interlock switch cuts power to HIGH POWER 50 volt coils. High power interlock switch doesn't cut low power. Like 20 volts, or even 12 volts for motors.

Quoted from RTS:

I thought coil test required that the coin door be shut for any coils to work during coil test without exception.

You learned something new today. And you don't need to close the coin door. It can be open. The high power interlock switch ( the top one ) has a small knob end, you can pull it out to enable high power for testing.

Your fuse blowing, another possibility is the castle door motor lugs shorting to the metal lane guides below them.

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Yes. F710 is for LOW POWER 20 volt coils. High power interlock switch cuts power to HIGH POWER 50 volt coils. High power interlock switch doesn't cut low power. Like 20 volts, or even 12 volts for motors.

You learned something new today. And you don't need to close the coin door. It can be open. The high power interlock switch ( the top one ) has a small knob end, you can pull it out to enable high power for testing.
Your fuse blowing, another possibility is the castle door motor lugs shorting to the metal lane guides below them.

Thanks Lloyd. Yes I know about pulling the door switch to emulate a closed coin door. But I didn't know that some coils will fire in test without pulling the interlock switch or closing the door. I was misinformed reading through other posts.

I was unable to cause the fuse to blow again. I've removed the castle pf several times, so it's possible the issue has been resolved with the last reinstall. I checked the door motor lugs and looks ok.

Right now everything seems fine. I'll have wait if it happens again. I just can't replicate the problem now. Thx.

#7 4 years ago

Well, problem not resolved. Damn fuse burned out again.

It just doesn't happen immediately. Hard to find the source.

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

Hard to find the source.

If you can figure a way. Lift castle playfield up a little. To rule out motor lugs shorting to anything.

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

Hard to find the source.

Right fuse - time delay or slow blow ?

You might have to disconnect stuff one thing at a time to narrow it down.

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Right fuse - time delay or slow blow ?
You might have to disconnect stuff one thing at a time to narrow it down.

I've got 4a slow blow.

The real problem is I can play without it blowing. When it blows, it is not immediately apparent while I am playing. I can play for a couple of hours.

I think maybe the winkie retract coil is suspect because of it heating in the past. Could it be shorting from inside? Is it only during Melt the Witch that it energizes? I will disconnect that little coil and see if the new fuse survives.

The coil blows before getting to MTW.

I can't see that the castle door motor lugs touching anything. The doors work for awhile.

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

I think maybe the winkie retract coil is suspect because of it heating in the past.

I'd replace it. If nothing else to start eliminating stuff. And since it's been hot, a good place to start. Maybe shorting internally from the past when it got hot.

You could disconnect it. Tape up the wires so they don't short to anything. And play the game a lot. If fuse remains good, then you'd know for sure.

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

I'd replace it. If nothing else to start eliminating stuff. And since it's been hot, a good place to start. Maybe shorting internally from the past when it got hot.
You could disconnect it. Tape up the wires so they don't short to anything. And play the game a lot. If fuse remains good, then you'd know for sure.

Thx. I'll try this.

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

Thx. I'll try this.

So it looks like this target retract (mini) coil is riveted to its base.

I can't find a 23-3013-00 coil replacement on the JJP website. Is there a source for these somewhere?

20200229_194945 (resized).jpg20200229_194945 (resized).jpg
#14 4 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

Is there a source for these somewhere?

I don't see a cross reference for a regular coil number.

Best call Shannan at JJP on Monday.

#15 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

I don't see a cross reference for a regular coil number.
Best call Shannan at JJP on Monday.

Is it the same coil that retracts the target on Shadow? it's an almost identical mechanism. Coil SM1-26-600.

Doesn't JJP use BW parts?

1 month later
#16 4 years ago

Mine has done this too...for the second time in 1.5 years.
Frustrating.
You have to request to buy thi coil from JJP, and you can't just buy the coil, because it's attached to part of the assembly.
So...you have to buy the assembly part.
1.5 years ago, it was $40 plus shipping.
I wish I knew a fix for this, so it doesn't happen again.

#17 4 years ago
Quoted from Jeffreyjonesbsme:

Mine has done this too...for the second time in 1.5 years.
Frustrating.
You have to request to buy thi coil from JJP, and you can't just buy the coil, because it's attached to part of the assembly.
So...you have to buy the assembly part.
1.5 years ago, it was $40 plus shipping.
I wish I knew a fix for this, so it doesn't happen again.

Yes I figured it out the expensive way.

JJP was slow to respond, so I bought a B/W matching coil w/ assembly. Athough the coil could be removed from the B/W assembly, the coil on the JJP assembly was permanently attached. I tried a using a dremel to remove it with no luck. Ended up buying the replacement from JJP for $50+.

I was trying to figure out what caused it to overheat. My unproven theory is it occured during a really long Melt The Witch session when I failed to make the penultimate target shot fast enough. I think my coil stayed energized after it pulled down the target during that mode.

2 weeks later
#18 3 years ago

I have ordered the assembly and will install it when it arrives.
JJP did have me change the transistor that controls the drop solenoid.
It measured just a little different than the surrounding others...and they didn't think it was out of spec...but had me change it anyway.
That ground plane leg of the transistor was impossible to remove...I couldn't get enough heat to remove it...so I found another solution (jumped a wire to the ground). Yeah...I know...but didn't want to send the board out.

#19 3 years ago
Quoted from Jeffreyjonesbsme:

I have ordered the assembly and will install it when it arrives.
JJP did have me change the transistor that controls the drop solenoid.
It measured just a little different than the surrounding others...and they didn't think it was out of spec...but had me change it anyway.
That ground plane leg of the transistor was impossible to remove...I couldn't get enough heat to remove it...so I found another solution (jumped a wire to the ground). Yeah...I know...but didn't want to send the board out.

They never told me to check the transistor. My coil still worked but might've compromised its resistance after overheating from a prolonged activation.

From my experience, if the transistor fails, my coil would stay energized which wasn't the case. But I will definitely look at it if the fuse blows again.

Also, I broke down and got a Hakko desoldering gun a few years ago which allows you to cleanly remove components in 5 seconds with no heat damage. It was expensive, but ultimately worth it. I don't use it often, but so happy I have it when I need it. (Probably the same cost as sending out a board one time. )

1 year later
#20 2 years ago

I have just had this Fuse 710 blowing. To cut a long story short I tracked it down to the small coil. I have disconnected it and the fuse is now OK.
Obviously the drop target doesn't raise now but I "think" this actually improves the game. So, apart from blocking access to the castle playfield my question is: does this target affect the game in any other respect?

#21 2 years ago
Quoted from PaulROwen:

I have just had this Fuse 710 blowing. To cut a long story short I tracked it down to the small coil. I have disconnected it and the fuse is now OK.
Obviously the drop target doesn't raise now but I "think" this actually improves the game. So, apart from blocking access to the castle playfield my question is: does this target affect the game in any other respect?

There is a random hurry-up shot requiring that the target must be hit to collect. (Not sure if there are further repercussions if it is never hit.)

Replacing the winkie drop target coil assembly fixed my 710 fuse from blowing. Does the wrapper on your mini coil show signs of having overheated in the past?

#22 2 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

There is a random hurry-up shot requiring that the target is hit to collect. (Not sure if there are further repercussions if it is never hit.)
Replacing the winkie drop target coil assembly fixed my 710 fuse from blowing. Does the wrapper on your mini coil show signs of having overheated in the past?

Yes, only slightly but there was an associated burning plasticy smell which lingered for about a week!

#23 2 years ago
Quoted from PaulROwen:

Yes, only slightly but there was an associated burning plasticy smell which lasted about a week!

That burning smell was my exact experience.

The challenge was trying to figure out the source. The target would still work, but eventually fuse 710 would blow again.

The working theory is that the coil had been compromised. As it heated up, it would short, causing the fuse to blow.

1 year later
#24 9 months ago

The coil is friction fit onto the drop target reset assembly. I got it off with a little effort. Any idea what the coil replacement part is from marco or someone? I can't find anything on the jjp coil number 23-3013-00

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 100.00
Boards
Led Pinball

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 55.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

9,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Santa Maria, CA
Electronics
Skillshot Combo

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 91.00
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Stephenson, VA
$ 24.50
$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 99.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 225.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/woz-problem-fuse-710 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.