IMG_1593.JPG
IMG_1581.JPG
IMG_1580.JPG
IMG_1578.JPG
IMG_1569.JPG
IMG_1633.JPG
IMG_1626.jpg
IMG_1579.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider nimblepin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

#111 11 years ago

Well, it seems like everyone has their opinion on this machine- both good and bad. Now that I've actually held it (physically) in my hands and have seen the PF from a player's perspective, I am stoked to "eventually", have this in my home. Sure the game looks "floaty" right now but, that's because it's set around 3.5 degrees... Why? I have no idea. I spoke with Jack about the coil strength after my first game and he reassured me that the coil strength is adjustable and the game can be set up to play as fast as I wanted. The lighting, call-outs and sound seen in the video are not the final game. The lighting will be much more controlled depending on the mode you're in as opposed to just cycling colors just for the sake of, cycling colors... The construction of the machine is very solid and- after hearing about the debacle in shipping, the game looked (physically) great. The coolest feature that hasn't been seen yet is, the menu system... Very intuitive and (from what I saw) easy to troubleshoot! All in all, as an early pre-orderer- I am very content (and happy) with my original gamble on JJP.

#118 11 years ago

The coil strength will not be a problem... (see my post above.) Plus, I doubt Jack would really let this game go out (underpowered) as it currently sits here on the PPE floor. Let's give that part of this thread's WOZ fiction a rest already.
As for the pitch,
Obviously it's pitched a bit higher, I was just making a dramatic joke to those who said the game was "too floaty". Maybe I'll go back and ask Jack to pull the glass so I can put my phone on it.

#120 11 years ago

Wih a full color LCD at your disposal, let's just say, it's not your mother's DMD menu system...

#126 11 years ago

It hasn't been powered off (that I've seen) since it's move to the show floor... Right now it is set for 1 player and you only have two balls to play with. (Just like real life! )
Again,
This is still technically a "demo machine", so don't expect to see everything (code-wise) in the game right now. Just take to heart that there aren't any "drywall screws" ( ) on the upper PF anymore and the physical parts (and mode video sequences) of WOZ look absolutely amazing in person. I took a bunch of photos from different angles of the PF and they all look fantastic. (At least from my camera's screen...) When I get back home, I will upload them here in my posts.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to get back to playing the new "King of Diamonds"*. (aka, WOZ ) Stay gold Pinside!

*Seriously though,
That new Retro Pinball KOD is effing sweet!!! It's a nudgers dream!

#137 11 years ago

I don't know if the rear leg levelers were extended to increase the pitch.

No, they weren't...

But again,
the flippers aren't at their full strength so- it is what it is. At least I got to play it; Jack is still here answering questions even though he's still on "East Coast" time.
I give him a big +1 for being here in the first place... Thanks Jack for everything today! I had a blast.
Haters can keep on hating as far as I'm concerned.
JJP Iceman approved "Kool-Aid" will always be readily available in my fridge for those who want to come by and visit. ; )

#144 11 years ago

All I can say is, seeing the game in person is like watching moving art as far as I'm concerned. As long as JJP can keep game 2, 3; 4's finish looking this good- theme (to me) can play second fiddle.

Joeraptor is right- JJP's WOZ is a breath of fresh air.
Plus, with Keith's history of games, we are in for one hell of a ride!

I too am looking forward to dialing this one in at home; I know I've said in the past that I was cool with the waiting aspect of this journey... Not anymore! I want it NOW!

#154 11 years ago

If the game needed stronger flipper coils why hasn't JJP installed them already? That's a 10-20 min job max.

*facepalm*

They are adjustable! Ad-just-a-ble!!!
(starts pulling out hair.)

#157 11 years ago

And I agree with you Chocky- I don't know why the game was setup to play that way either. (Possibly for the dozens of kids attending PPE perhaps?) At least we know that it's not going to be an issue when the game ships.

How so???

I'm guessing a more sophisticated/broader take on the Stern "Coil Pulse Power" setting? Maybe even giving the menu option to tune each coil under the PF independently?

Keith?

#188 11 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Where are the pictures NimblePin?

I will update with pics when I get back home. (Still here @ PPE)
Check back tonight, possibly tomorrow morning.

#215 11 years ago

Where are the pictures NimblePin?

Here!

On the move...
IMG_1533.jpgIMG_1533.jpg

A dialed down look at the PF.
IMG_1572.JPGIMG_1572.JPG

The upper PF... (Which cradles surprisingly well!)
IMG_1579.JPGIMG_1579.JPG

From a "Todd MacCulloch" style POV...
IMG_1626.jpgIMG_1626.jpg
Witch under glass... (plastic.)
IMG_1633.JPGIMG_1633.JPG
Green powder coating...
IMG_1569.JPGIMG_1569.JPG

#216 11 years ago

Moar...

Tree detail...
IMG_1578.JPGIMG_1578.JPG
Another angle...
IMG_1580.JPGIMG_1580.JPG
Yet another...
IMG_1581.JPGIMG_1581.JPG
The gLoWiNg underside... (Hey look! Shower handrails! )
IMG_1593.JPGIMG_1593.JPG
Leg detail...
IMG_1638.jpgIMG_1638.jpg
Another POV...
IMG_1573.jpgIMG_1573.jpg

#252 11 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Maybe at the proper incline and flipper power, the game is absolutely brutal.

I could definitely see it going that way...
What stands out for me is the fact that the right outlane is REALLY wide- if you aren't paying attention the ball is gone before you know it.
The witch magnet(s) slung at least three of my (first) balls straight down Toto's gullet, while the left outlane was pretty tame by comparison. The pop bumper/target array is genius; with a little experimental nudging, you can walk/bounce the ball back up the lane and back into play. With all the games I played, I made it a point to shoot for different areas of the PF with each new turn. There is so much going on in the game it's tough to take in all in. The good news is, the castle PF is really addicting! I was worried that it was going to be a waste of space, in reality it was quite the opposite. The flipper cradles really well and it wasn't too difficult to recover the ball once it left the flipper. The house on the other hand, is pretty brutal with the timing. (Think AC/DC lower PF... With no saver.) It will really take a bit of practice to get the house to reveal the witches legs! The mid-right flipper took a bit of time to remember that it was even there- and once I did, it definitely opened things up; I'm trying to think back if I ever got that right side magnet to activate. Hmmm... The ramp to the house and ball lock is very satisfying; like Jvspin stated on the players thread, once the ball gets past a certain point on the ramp, it gets sucked around rather quickly. The VUK's are really well done and fire rather quickly to get the player's ball (up the wire-forms) where it needs to go. Even thought the game only has one physical ramp, it feels like it has three. The loop shot is well constructed and can be successfully linked if one chooses to do so. The trumper bumpers are not too hard to get past and they don't hold the ball for too long. (Unless you wanted them to.) The right side upper PF (above and under the house) was a bit of a quagmire, either it held the ball for (what seemed like) a really long time, or the monkey came and got it. There seemed to be no middle ground. A hard plunge did bypass the whole thing but, I was hoping for a bit more than that. The Winkie Guard did his duty by keeping the shot above the magnets, making it a good "risk/reward" kind of shot. I would have liked to have seen inline drops instead but, I can understand that the space for him was limited so he just simply "resets" until the third guard (possibly more?) is defeated. The witch should be one of the main focal points in the game but honestly, most of the shots to her were not deliberate. She melts down in progressive stages; it's more robotic than fluid right now. I would like to see her just melt all in one final shot with green flashers strobing all around her during the process. I also really wanted to see the crystal ball in action but alas, it was sleeping...
Now that I've had some time to reflect on my games, (some good, some bad) I can confidently say to people that have pre-ordered it, you WILL have fun. The shots and gameplay can be as wide and deep as you want them to be. It will truly cater to a broad level of players. My favorite thing not mentioned about the game is the scoring- it's pretty damn low. EM low. (No more "billion+" scores!) In fact, I was really happy to get into the 10,000's!!! The second thing that strikes me about WOZ is how much more nudging is involved. The game just screams "NUDGE ME!" (Or at least it does with the PPE setup anyway...) All the PF's on WOZ require constant input from the players hands; I'm guessing most of us (at home) will either have the tilts extremely loose, or not installed at all.

I am very excited to see/play the rest of the game once it is completed.
I also wanted to say,
Sorry about the passionate opinions earlier. (woz, Chocky, ___) Half of it was excitement, half was from lack of sleep. I realize that it there are a myriad of things people wanted to see/hear that aren't in this particular version as it's a demo model. Only Jack knows why he setup the game to play as it did. (I'm guessing for kids and non-players...)

I just really hope everyone on here can go in with low (or no) preconceived expectations/notions before pressing the start button on the finished game for the first time. If you can do that, I'm sure even the "haters", will be pleasantly surprised.

Thanks for the time!

I will copy this to the players thread as well for those who are searching for additional info.

#266 11 years ago

Thanks Keith for chiming in, I had a blast playing it! (Even under the PPE circumstances...)

I have the utmost faith in your abilities as a programmer- and as an alien.
Godspeed, code warrior!

#419 11 years ago

I'm already going through withdrawals...

#568 11 years ago
Quoted from blondetall:

but it is always just more arguing and pissing contests. When will I learn...

Sad, but true. I too was expecting some more WOZ goodness from where I left off. Alas, that hasn't happened yet. Maybe page 13 will bring some luck with it!

Quoted from chocky909:

I think if you want to see how fast the table will play you need to check out the original whitewood video.

Check out the rear leg-levelers on that TZ cab Chocky...

#570 11 years ago

I will bump up my original estimate of 3.5 degrees to 4.3... Just for fun! (I never got to put my phone on the PF... Sorry Chocky.)
All I know is my machine at the end of the day will be set somewhere between 6.5-7 degrees and the coils will be adjusted to reflect said pitch. Being the optimistic bugger that I am- hopefully there will be some sort of eggnog/cookies and milk involved between games.
After all,
The Krampus hasn't visited me in years!

krampus2.jpgkrampus2.jpg

Well, since we're here...
Let's "hypothetically" say it was designed with that pitch in mind. People at PPE were still getting their asses handed to them left and right with that angle. Most games I saw were over in a matter of minutes; some fewer than that! The line was indeed long to play WOZ but- even being ten people back, your wait in line was around 15 minutes or less. On a two ball game, that's not too shabby.
I ended up with 13 plays on WOZ at the end of PPE. My scores ranged from 2K to 17K+.
It will be interesting to see Bowen's PAPA tutorial when it comes out. Knowing him, it will still be in the billions... *sigh*
Good times!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 18.95
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 345.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA
$ 91.00
Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
11,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Spokane Valley, WA
$ 29.99
Hardware
Classic Game Rooms

$ 225.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Stephenson, VA
$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 5.00
$ 55.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 16.95
$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider nimblepin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/woz-ppe-first-video?tu=nimblepin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.