IMG_1593.JPG
IMG_1581.JPG
IMG_1580.JPG
IMG_1578.JPG
IMG_1569.JPG
IMG_1633.JPG
IMG_1626.jpg
IMG_1579.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider john_i.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

#22 11 years ago

Agree that the ball looks floaty and the flippers are weak. I wonder if you could even make the ramp shots with the game set to 6.5 degrees? This should not be hard to fix if they are using WMS flippers; just install the blue coils! I have no doubt they will fix this, but it is a little bit of a head scratcher why it made it this far with such underpowered flippers.

And yes, the sound/music in its current form would be a show stopper for me ever owning one. Ugh. I muted half way though the video.

#70 11 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Which also means that this is a *long* way from being complete, right?
How many people here still think that a WoZ will be shipped in 2012? Did they ever get the test pin out on location that was supposed to be done by the end of August?

Yeah, about a month after the initial WoZ offering I helped convince a friend to buy a WoZ (I knew his wife would not reject the theme as she seems to do with most Sterns). I just got off the phone with him after watching the video twice together. I was hoping he would not be angry with me when he saw the clunky playfield. He still seems happy especially with the quality of the build and the cabinet, toys, upper playfields, etc, but based on what we saw we are figuring he will be lucky to receive his late serial machine before summer 2013. That is unless JJP decides to ship the games with incomplete software and at least let people have them in hand while the software is polished up. Funny thing is I remember having a similar conversation with him on my birthday last November and we figured his WOZ would be in his hands for sure by summer 2012...

#102 11 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

>The quality of the playfeild looks awsome.
>Hopefully the wait will pay off. The quality does look to be very good.
>The game itself looks amazing! The light show is incredible and the quality of game looks superb.
>He still seems happy especially with the quality of the build and the cabinet, toys, upper playfields
You guys must possess amazing talents that I haven't got ....
The ability to judge the "quality" of something from a video.
Quality is proven over a long period of time. Not from a video on the Internet.
Just saying.
Dave.

Since one of those four quotes was mine, I will respond. Truth is I am unimpressed by the game in this video and was just looking for something positive to say so as not to sound like a complete negative Nancy. The obvious top shelf quality and high dollar BOM of the JJP build is seemingly the highlight of this pin. The playfield is clunky, the sound is horrendous, the theme not appealing in the least and the oversized LCD looks dorky. I'm sure the software will get better, but it won't suddenly make new cool shots or combo flow appear on the playfield.

Note that I have also never been a fan of TSPP. I love the theme, but it is also clunky and has horrendous sound IMO, so maybe it is just me. I put TSPP nowhere near the best modern Stern despite the remarkably good software.

#203 11 years ago
Quoted from playernumber4:

Check the menu in LOTR....you can adjust the strength of the coil pulse.

I thought they were using Williams parts? In that case they are using double wound coils instead of the (Stern) pulse width modulation. Must be something in between based on a new board set I suspect...

As others have said. This is not a problem in the least bit for anyone who bought this machine. They will have the flippers at full strength before release and the game will be set up at 6.5+ degrees. It just is a little baffling why the game is set up as it is without explanation when JJP knows so much attention is being paid?

#404 11 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

It is curious why flippers not right but here is the response.............
From JJP.
We spend a year and a half and millions of dollars to develop this
game...you think it's going out to you with weak flippers? Really?
We have every Bally/ Williams part at our disposal......a flipper
coil.....really? That's Armageddon?
Ye of little faith. Don't feed into the jealous, and hateful, they
will get theirs. Please do not defend me on my behalf, it only feeds
the trolls.
Hate is an ugly thing. It consumes people and the very thing they hate
is what controls them.
Within every problem contains the seed of it's own solution.

I am hoping that the above words did not actually come from JJP. Most have never thought that fixing the flippers would be a problem and have stated it clearly in this thread. JJP from the beginning way back when has bashed their competition on a professional AND personal level while breaking their own arms patting themselves on the back for producing the greatest pinball machine ever known to mankind (even before the first whitewoods). Now waaaaay late and behind schedule they bring a game to a show knowing they will be under the ultimate microscope, but they make an extreme rookie mistake with no rational explanation until days later. Sorry, but two WOZ buyers came here and said they were cancelling their orders based on their hands-on experience at the show. What do you really expect the reaction to be on an open forum? To call people who made negative comments "trolls, hateful" and say "they will get theirs"???? Sorry, but this is shameful.

How hard would it have been to simply swallow some pride and admit *at the show* that the software is still in the Alpha phase and something as basic as the flipper controls is not even implemented yet? How hard would it have been to do a better job of setting up the flippers prior to shipping the game knowing the importance of this appearance?

This is a huge undertaking creating a new platform from the ground up. It is not surprising that it has taken longer than expected. We all know it is impossible to predict how long software will take. We also know this platform and game will be great in the end. Just don't be afraid to tell the truth up front. And don't be so quick to call other names when you eff up.

Also, thanks to KPJ for finally coming here and sharing some wisdom with us. If only the JJP people at the show knew enough to put this fire out before it started rather than acting like the game was meant to be set up so only a perfect shot could even hope to make the ramp.

#447 11 years ago
Quoted from scooter:

SR are you listening?Star Trek 2013 with an LCD would be perfect for this!!

Hopefully a much smaller LCD than the one JJP is using...

#449 11 years ago
Quoted from dgpinball:

The LCD that Jack is using looks great IMO, why would you want it smaller when it's visual impact you are looking for

It's way too big. The backbox doesn't look right without a real backglass/translite. Plus it is too much emphasis on the display instead of the playfield. A smaller screen about the size of a current DMD only in 16x9 format would be much better in my opinion. Note that I am also not a fan of P2K in the least bit.

#513 11 years ago

Part of the question is what sort of production volume will they shoot for or be able to achieve? At first 10 games a week would be a major accomplishment. I have never had the impression that JJP was initially shooting for the type/size factory that Stern has and would end up somewhere between a boutique seller and what Stern is in capacity for the WoZ production. So while it is possible that games could start on the production line by early 2013, how long will it take until even the 1000 LEs are produced let alone the addition Pro games?

Averaging 25 complete games a week seems like a big number for a new factory. That would mean 40 weeks to produce 1000 games. Even at 40 games a week there is a good chance a significant number of people won't receive their games by the end of 2013.

#530 11 years ago
Quoted from chocky909:

Enough with the troll accusations too. I think most of the drivel around here is spewed by JJP fanboys.

I think it is about even, but here is a great example of your point:

Quoted from Pinchroma:

The factory isn't on any main road. In fact it's about 3/4 of a mile from any main thoroughfare.

What that means is your friend drives 1.5 miles out of his way to check up on a company who he likely is not a customer of. That means he is A) an obsessed stalker B) has zero life C) probably an escaped mental patient.

Might it be that this person knows there is a LOT of interest in this subject and many are tired of the misdirection? He is doing us all a favor and gets called names by the fanboys. Hopefully the above quote was a joke.

#536 11 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

Please point out a lie? I haven't seen one? Missed guesses on dates yes. But where is the lies you speak of? I'd like a bulleted list please.

I don't feel like arguing so I edited out the word "lie". Even still all the talk of "test" games and missed shipping dates borders on it... Seeing the video of the game last weekend with alpha software, there is no way they were even close to putting out a test game in July or August.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 16.95
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 85.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

9,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Santa Maria, CA
$ 55.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9,800.00
Pinball Machine
Pixels Arcade Games

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Medford, NJ
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Burlingame, CA
$ 345.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 5.00
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Stephenson, VA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider john_i.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/woz-ppe-first-video?tu=john_i and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.