image.jpg
aux-in.jpg
Screen-Shot-2013-02-26-at-21.57.17.png
image.jpg
otters.png
south_park.jpg
woz_debate.gif
aux-in.jpg
There are 141 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
#101 10 years ago
Quoted from Homepin:

Now this sort of thing worries me......when a company this size can't even employ someone to proof read the English used that tells me there are bigger problems lurking.....

you're = "you are"

in this instance "your" would have been correct.

We speak American in the states,except me I speak hillbilly

#102 10 years ago
Quoted from gambit3113:

Anyone involved in the 10 or 1 to cancel each other out should have their ratings privileges revoked permanently. Grow up.

Yes Daddy G but they don't really mathematically cancel each other out, now do they?.....

#103 10 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Yes Daddy G but they don't really mathematically cancel each other out, now do they?.....

No, it knocks it down to about where it should be.

#104 10 years ago

To a 5, really? math not your thing?....hehe

#105 10 years ago
Quoted from scooter:

We speak American in the states,except me I speak hillbilly

Me too Scooter, Hillbilly is a good thing!........

#106 10 years ago

Yee haw, more hillbillies around here.

Actually, I think the guys are attempting to sort of kind of get along in this thread. Either that, or they're just putting a lot of smileys on the end of their sentences to make it seem that way. image.jpgimage.jpg

#108 10 years ago

Same shit, different day.

#109 10 years ago

Yep, it's just how high is the shit-O-meter going today...

#110 10 years ago
Quoted from fattrain:

For all those guys who can't stand the WoZ music, just snag one of these bad boys below and then turn on your favorite heavy metal Pandora™ station.
Problem solved

The point is...they shouldn't have to.

#111 10 years ago
Quoted from eggbert52:

Whether you put Oz, Led Zep, Country, Rap, or Opera in there, someone is gonna be unhappy...

#112 10 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

To a 5, really? math not your thing?....hehe

Apparently math isn't your thing.

1+10=11
11/2= 5.5

#113 10 years ago
Quoted from eggbert52:

Then don't buy a pin based on the Wizard of Oz.

#114 10 years ago

45 ratings. There are not 45 production games in the wild as of today.

Good or bad, it's a bit early.

#115 10 years ago

1+10=11
11/2= 5.5

I got it!

equation.gifequation.gif

#117 10 years ago

Ted just posted the combination to the secret WOZ club, thanks Ted !

#118 10 years ago

When the average rating is around a 7, a 1 knocks it down much more than a 10 raises it.

Say a game has ten ratings averaging a 7:

((10*7)+1)/11=6.45, lowered by .55

((10*7)+10)/11=7.27, raised by .27

In this example, a 1 lowers the score more than double what a 10 raises it.

Put another way, two 10's don't even quite offset one 1.

I'd like to see the "Top 100" ranking algorithm silently count anything less than a 5 as a 5. That would be interesting.

#119 10 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

Ted just posted the combination to the secret WOZ club, thanks Ted !

You should see our handshake...

#120 10 years ago
Quoted from Homepin:

Now this sort of thing worries me......when a company this size can't even employ someone to proof read the English used that tells me there are bigger problems lurking.....
you're = "you are"
in this instance "your" would have been correct.

I've attached the original the piece you posted was cut out of. Exactly how big do you think Pinnovators is?
259.jpg259.jpg

#121 10 years ago

once JJ has shipped a couple hundred of these puppies and are a couple code revisions along, it will come right back.

#122 10 years ago

This has to be one of the most pointless threads I've read on Pinside, and considering the signal to noise ratio on here lately, that's really saying something

Check back in 6 months, then there will be something semi-meaningful to talk about!!

#123 10 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

That is the one thing you won't find around here !

+1000 so true.

#124 10 years ago

I know everyone is saying it is useless to judge a game this early, but I played this game at a local arcade (playdium in Mississauga, Ontario). A couple things to note first. I am a pinball NOOB, so take everything I say with that in mind ...I don't know anything about this game, I have obviously heard about it, but didn't know anything about it when I played it. Now I am reading this game is unfinished and still a prototype, and not sure what is going to change about it, but as it is right now, to be honest, I don't like it very much. GI is pretty bad, and since it is dark in the place, I could barely see the ball. The LED's are a stark contrast to the dark playfield and look great, but would be nice if there was more light. The gameplay is just boring to me. It doesn't flow smoothly at all, and the layout doesn't seem all that interesting. Also to note, I drained about 95% of my shots down the left out lane. I don;t know what was going on, but it was very frustrating! It is sitting right next to a Tron, Avatar and Spider-man, and each of those machines beats it in terms of gameplay, so maybe this is partially why I didn't enjoy it as much. Also, the screen was barely utilized. I was expecting some awesome stuff to be going on, but barely anything happened on screen.

Again, I realize this is a prototype and still very early. Any clarification on what would probably change with this machine is greatly appreciated

#125 10 years ago
Quoted from AnthonyM88:

I know everyone is saying it is useless to judge a game this early, but I played this game at a local arcade (playdium in Mississauga, Ontario). A couple things to note first. I am a pinball NOOB, so take everything I say with that in mind ...I don't know anything about this game, I have obviously heard about it, but didn't know anything about it when I played it. Now I am reading this game is unfinished and still a prototype, and not sure what is going to change about it, but as it is right now, to be honest, I don't like it very much. GI is pretty bad, and since it is dark in the place, I could barely see the ball. The LED's are a stark contrast to the dark playfield and look great, but would be nice if there was more light. The gameplay is just boring to me. It doesn't flow smoothly at all, and the layout doesn't seem all that interesting. Also to note, I drained about 95% of my shots down the left out lane. I don;t know what was going on, but it was very frustrating! It is sitting right next to a Tron, Avatar and Spider-Man, and each of those machines beats it in terms of gameplay, so maybe this is partially why I didn't enjoy it as much. Also, the screen was barely utilized. I was expecting some awesome stuff to be going on, but barely anything happened on screen.
Again, I realize this is a prototype and still very early. Any clarification on what would probably change with this machine is greatly appreciated

Anthony, I played that exact game as well. It has very old code, and isn't comparable to what I have seen in other videos that have been posted. When playing it, I realized that the code was so basic, not to judge it, until the whole package was there. Like any game (SM included), the game play is dependent on the rules, and can change dramatically when the added code, videos, music, call outs are added. Some things may not change. If you are looking for a flow layout, it's seems to be somewhere in the middle with the latest code. It's not a Steve Ritchie game, where everything is a flow fest. I'm waiting until a more finished code before reserving judgement. I though SM was so-so before new code, and then I really liked it.

#126 10 years ago
Quoted from Hitch9:

Anthony, I played that exact game as well. It has very old code, and isn't comparable to what I have seen in other videos that have been posted. When playing it, I realized that the code was so basic, not to judge it, until the whole package was there. Like any game (SM included), the game play is dependent on the rules, and can change dramatically when the added code, videos, music, call outs are added. Some things may not change. If you are looking for a flow layout, it's seems to be somewhere in the middle with the latest code. It's not a Steve Ritchie game, where everything is a flow fest. I'm waiting until a more finished code before reserving judgement. I though SM was so-so before new code, and then I really liked it.

I'll chime in - I played that exact same game on a business trip about 2 months ago. There was something weird going on with the flipper buttons. I had roughly the same impressions as Anthony. I missed playing the one at the Atlanta Pin Swap because there was a long line to play, and I was helping out with the tournament.

Hopefully, the lesson JJP takes away from this is that first impressions count. My first impression was pretty bad, and I had WoZ all to myself for 20 minutes (that was all I could tolerate before moving on to better games).

#127 10 years ago

2k by x-mas

#128 10 years ago

The game sux everybody should dump them for $1500 I'll take 2

#129 10 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I'll chime in - I played that exact same game on a business trip about 2 months ago. There was something weird going on with the flipper buttons. I had roughly the same impressions as Anthony. I missed playing the one at the Atlanta Pin Swap because there was a long line to play, and I was helping out with the tournament.
Hopefully, the lesson JJP takes away from this is that first impressions count. My first impression was pretty bad, and I had WoZ all to myself for 20 minutes (that was all I could tolerate before moving on to better games).

As I've mentioned in another thread, JJP will really need to resist the temptation to take the Hobbit out in an early code state, certainly needs to be way beyond what WOZ was at when it debuted publicly. A bad first impression can be very damaging, and no game plays well with code in its infancy.

I truly believe WOZ will be a great pin when fully fleshed out rules-wise, it's already a work of kinetic art!!

#130 10 years ago

the machine Is gorgeous. the pf is gorgeous. the gameplay? as of now it is meh. needs some serious updates. I have a feeling that this first effort will be succeeded with more experience in his other machines imo. if the hobbit has everything they incorporated in WOZ, more flow than WOZ, I think it will be a good machine. I won't rate this machine until I play the hell out of it first, 2 games doesn't count.

#131 10 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

You should see our handshake...

I live in Utah and know all about secret handshakes .

#132 10 years ago
Quoted from DanQverymuch:

When the average rating is around a 7, a 1 knocks it down much more than a 10 raises it.
Say a game has ten ratings averaging a 7:
((10*7)+1)/11=6.45, lowered by .55
((10*7)+10)/11=7.27, raised by .27
In this example, a 1 lowers the score more than double what a 10 raises it.
Put another way, two 10's don't even quite offset one 1.
I'd like to see the "Top 100" ranking algorithm silently count anything less than a 5 as a 5. That would be interesting.

You can determine the "average" and the "median."

Often they are very close, but the median will more accurately ignore the aberrations (the extremes) on either side. 1's and 10's are not included unless there are more of them than any other number

In both cases, the larger the sample, the more accurate the information. The only way an extreme rating will actually affect a games score is if a majority number of people agree and put 1's or 10's.

The median will more accurately reflect the score by removing the extremes.

#133 10 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

The median will more accurately reflect the score by removing the extremes.

That's true, if the rankings have a Gaussian distribution. When it doesn't resemble a bell curve, like we're talking about with all the loaded 1s and 10s, making outliers too numerous, not so much.

Besides, I'm sure they use the mean (average) anyway.

#134 10 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I played That exact WOZ twice. The first time there was an issue. The second time that issue was fixed, but there was another problem. It's hit or miss for the repairs they do, as well as software updates. Starburst is the sister company, and its not unusual to have bits of plastic parts floating around their games when you are playing, even in the show room. It gave me a bad impression of Stern games because of it. That's just my experience only. Nice people to deal with, and I've had good buying experiences however. I may drive by this week to see what code version it looks like. I wouldn't be surprised if it hasn't been upgraded however.

#135 10 years ago
Quoted from fattrain:

For all those guys who can't stand the WoZ music, just snag one of these bad boys below and then turn on your favorite heavy metal Pandora™ station.
Problem solved

Does this play your personal music in the background while playing all other WOZ sound effects and voices? If not, I don't see how this is a reasonable alternative to not liking the WOZ music.

#136 10 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I had roughly the same impressions as Anthony. I missed playing the one at the Atlanta Pin Swap because there was a long line to play, and I was helping out with the tournament.

Hopefully, the lesson JJP takes away from this is that first impressions count. My first impression was pretty bad, and I had WoZ all to myself for 20 minutes

Yeah I agree, first impressions are HUGE. Although my GF, who knows nothing about pinball, didn't like it very much at all because it "isn't fun to play" but she did keep going back because of the theme, lights, toys, etc. My first impressions aren't very good, but I will continue to try it out whenever I get a chance to see how much it improves.

#137 10 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Or you can turn the game Sound down and....listen to your iPod with....your iPod. That's free I think.

Or you could plug it into the game and listen through the stereo speakers on the machine...

#138 10 years ago

Is the music volume for WOZ independently controlled ? Meaning could I still get callouts and sound FX while listening to my music being pumped out the stereo speakers ?

#139 10 years ago

Sorry Fattrain you cannot avoid the music all the time, will get you like the wicked witch of the east eventually. Your already are typing that and your going to own one? Interesting sales pitch. But I do love Howard Stern and pinball occasionally , but sound package is everything to make a classic . The chime noise way beyond anything I have heard in a pinball machine.

#140 10 years ago

If I bought games on ratings and interest then I'd have put money down on this one....

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/now-taking-pre-preorders-for-pinball-3000

Pete

#141 10 years ago

this is my first post. I do not own a game yet but plan on buying soon. Why not have some sort of qualified reviewers like rotten tomatoes to eliminate the troll ratings that throw off the rating especially at first as the average corrects itself over time with more reviews?

As a non owner that is looking into getting into the hobby, WOZ looks amazing but I hate the theme. I still would love to play one however but I would not rate as I do not know enough games to be meaningful for others.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 16.95
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA
11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Burlingame, CA
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

13,000 (OBO)
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 5.00
$ 24.50
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 85.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 395.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.99
Hardware
Classic Game Rooms

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Stephenson, VA
$ 345.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 141 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/woz-plummets-to-91/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.