Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by craigj
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

My WOZ will be arriving soon and aside from removing the head which we need to do anyway (found a guide in another topic for that), I checked the weight and since we have to carry it by hand through one of the doorways I'm thinking that removing the playfield too will make life a lot easier and safer.

Has anyone done a playfield removal on one of these and if so do you have any comments/tips on how to approach it?

#2 7 years ago

Why would you need to remove the playfield? Are you trying to eliminate weight for stairs? Even so, you should be using a dolly that can go up and down stairs...I WOULD NOT remove the playfield.

#3 7 years ago

Yes, for weight reasons. This is to get it through the front door, there's a 1 foot high step with a slight overhang, then a stupid and very fragile PVC lower edge people frequently trip on. Games tend to get carried in headless each time, but most games are not as heavy as this one. Then I have to slide them around the house carpets on some hard plastic because there's a 90 degree bend to get into the lounge which doesn't leave space for a dolly - but that part is easy once the game is inside.

The manual says to just remove the connectors and lift the playfield out, I was wondering if it really is that simple.

The head has to come off regardless or it simply won't go through the door at all. I hate this door. Rented house.

#4 7 years ago

i just did a move by myself of my RR down 4 flights of stairs and pulled my PF out. wasn't hard , toughest part was feeding a black wire and a grey wire out of the computer box, you have to cut 2 zip ties for those. the connectors i used a sharpie to mark positions , there is a lot of connectors in there 15-20 didnt really count just took lots of pics. BTW the PF is heavy! get a friend to help. *tip* put your back box back on before putting the PF back in, its a bugger with the PF in place. removing the head was easiest for me to un plug the connectors in the cabinet then feed them into the back box .

#5 7 years ago

I removed the playfield on both my WOZ and Hobbit. It really isn't that difficult and it made it much easier to get it up the stairs. As ls1chris said, just be sure to mark all the connectors. Good luck!

#6 7 years ago

I might need to do this to move my pin. When out of the machine, will the play field sit on the floor on the rails or do you have to tip it upright to not damage any mechanicals underneath?

Eric

#7 7 years ago

I can't speak to how strong or able you are, but if you're reasonably strong and have someone helping you who is too, you can go up and down stairs and through doorways easily on a dolly with pneumatic tyres. You just need to take it slowly and be careful, and make sure you have a couple of ratchet straps securing the machine to the dolly. Also, try if you can to get a lightweight aluminium dolly (that's rated to at least 400lbs / 170kg as the machine alone is 375lbs / 158kg).

I took my recently delivered HUO ECLE up 24 (full size) stairs with a removals guy helping me ... and that was with a very heavy steel dolly that took total weight to 425lbs / 190kg. There were no hairy moments and we got it up without even a hairline scratch.

Put a bit of foam / cardboard around edges and go slowly / lift one step at a time and stretch your back out after lifting to stop if cramping. If you're just wheeling it around, put the heavier stronger guy at the back of the dolly controlling it, and the other one guiding it (taking some of the weight off each time you lift / put it down). Guy guiding the dolly ought to be at least 90kg / 200lbs unless really strong.

Taking the pf out is completely redundant.

#8 7 years ago

Heh, didn't realise it was you System11b ... so you got a WOZ? Guess you like the one at Chief.

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from emsrph:

I might need to do this to move my pin. When out of the machine, will the play field sit on the floor on the rails or do you have to tip it upright to not damage any mechanicals underneath?
Eric

it will sit on the rails.

#10 7 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

Heh, didn't realise it was you System11b ... so you got a WOZ? Guess you like the one at Chief.

Yeah I stood there dumping coins into it until they closed the shop, then called Phil on Monday to cancel GB and get WOZ standard instead. I really like the playfield especially the pop area and the curved target bank.

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from system11:

Yeah I stood there dumping coins into it until they closed the shop, then called Phil on Monday to cancel GB and get WOZ standard instead. I really like the playfield especially the pop area and the curved target bank.

WOZ really does have a lot more to offer than even GB Premium/LE. 2 upper playfields, all kinds of toys, 5 flippers multiple magnets and the most unbelievable code I've ever seen plus a lot more. Still maybe leaning toward buying a WOZ over Hobbit, going to finally decide by Monday!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 5.00
$ 29.99
Hardware
Classic Game Rooms

$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 85.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Stephenson, VA
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 395.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 55.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 16.95
$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

13,000 (OBO)
$ 91.00
Machine - For Sale
St. Clair Shores, MI
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/woz-playfield-removal and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.