Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2015-05-06 23.19.10.jpg
2015-05-06 23.19.23.jpg
332781-i.jpg
#1 8 years ago

I'd like to revisit an older topic.

I am about to order a NIB WOZ Ruby Red 75th.

Those of you who have ordered the factory installed Playfield Protector and had them for a few months. What has been your experience/feelings in a HUO environment?

Would you do it again? Any major or minor problems? How do they wear? Do they get scratched or dull over use? Do you wax them or use something more like Novus 1 ?

Thanks - Theresa

#2 8 years ago

I have the same WOZ you are getting and I had the playfield protector installed at the factory. My only complaint is that dust gets trapped under the protector and there is no way to get to it other than removing the protector which I'm not going to do. This is a minor complaint and I don't notice it when I am playing, only when I am patiently waiting my turn . I will see if I can get a good picture tonight and post it so you can see what I am talking about. Bottom line I would still go for the protector and have it installed at the factory.

Another thing you might want to add to your machine is the red shooter housing to match the rest of the machine:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rr-poweder-coat-shooter-base

332781-i.jpg332781-i.jpg

#3 8 years ago

i have one on my RR also, it kinda getting a bit cloudy on the ball runs, ( outlanes, inlanes ect) the dust under it a pita, but i will try a can of compressed air one day . sometimes a ball will get stuck on a screw under the munchkin PF if you install the munchkin cliffy, highly recommended my minchkin PF chipped on my 2nd game. i think cliffy maybe modded the design to countersunk screws to fix the issue though.

#4 8 years ago

This picture highlights some gunk trapped under the protector right in the middle of the X. 2015-05-06 23.19.23.jpg2015-05-06 23.19.23.jpg

This one shows the general dusty look that is under the protector. This seems to be especially noticeable along the ball path. FWIW I cleaned the top of the protector with some Novus and Brillianize before taking this picture.

2015-05-06 23.19.10.jpg2015-05-06 23.19.10.jpg

#5 8 years ago

Congrats on your new WOZ. Go ahead and order a lit winkie and Pinnovator's volume control - two "must haves"

#6 8 years ago

Dust is better than cracking a plastic and buying a new plastic set. Get the protectors!

#7 8 years ago

I have been watching mine closely due to problems others have had. Especially in the pop bumper area.

I haven't had any issues at all. No signs of wear with no protection at all. I think some people got bad some questionable playfields is all.

Jersey jack sell that mylar but seems a bit steep at $150

#8 8 years ago

I have no protector. A small chip is missing near the Winkie. No damage elsewhere. I'd opt for the protectors.

#9 8 years ago

Anyone installed Cliffys protector set? I just ordered a set and by the installation guide, it looks like the whole damn machine needs to come apart... ha

http://www.passionforpinball.com/WOZ.htm

#10 8 years ago

Mine is supposed to ship sometime this month and after reading the forums I did not get the playfield protector available from JJP due to scratches, dust, etc. I instead will be adding Mylar to areas such as the pop bumpers, winkie guard, and magnets. Be careful as some think you are talking about plastic protectors that sit under critical plastics such as the slingshots to prevent damage from ball strikes which are a good idea. BTW, if you want Cliffy's ask JJP if they will install them at the factory. They have good customer service.

#11 8 years ago

The same protector is made and sold for other games. I have installed them on:

F-14
Fathom
Embryon

And will be installing them on:
Frontier
Paragon
Future Spa

They are really nice products. Ball rolls smooth, fast and silent. If you clean your playfield well before install, spray the back of the protector with novus 1, and the same for the playfield and buff both to a nice shine, you minimize any dust getting caught under the protector. Novus 1 has built in dust repellant properties.

They are easy to clean and your playfield is protected from any wear forever.

$100 for a new protector if you could wear one out is a lot cheaper than a new playfield.

#12 8 years ago

Thanks Xenon

I thought I had decided against getting it, based on the dirt under the mat issue. Then I read your comment and am beginning to think the dirt under the mat issue is not so much an issue with the mat and more an issue of having it installed at the factory, where they can't control the dust as well as we can in the home environment.

I now am thinking of getting the mat not installed and put it on myself. I am going to have to take it mostly apart to install the Cliffy's anyway.

As far as the Cliffy's I understand the ones for the rollover switches will need to have the leaf switches bent slightly to accommodate the added .01 of an inch. That slightly intimidates me.

#13 8 years ago

Definitely want to get the PinBits plastics protector set. It keeps almost every playfield plastic in the game safe. Available from my Products page at www.LockWhenLit.com/Products.htm or directly from www.PinBits.com

A great set of protectors.

--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics
http://LockWhenLit.com
Quality Board Work - In Home Service
borygard at gmail dot com

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 5.00
$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 85.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 345.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 91.00
$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 225.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

9,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Santa Maria, CA
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Stephenson, VA
Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 16.95
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/woz-playfield-protectors-your-experiences-with-them and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.