(Topic ID: 262504)

WoZ Play Field Dead - Monitor Working Fine. Ideas??

By akj5422

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 25 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by akj5422
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
08A7C8FE-5F2D-48AA-8265-6B83A66ED1A7 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3725 (resized).JPG
photo 2 (resized).JPG
5EB2C1C8-8570-4526-A45B-F2A6464DF91E (resized).jpeg
#1 4 years ago

Hi all - I recently purchased a used WoZ ECLE with low game play. The crystal ball display has shown an error message consistently since I purchased it. In asking around, was advised to dis/reconnect the cable leading to the crystal ball display screen. I tried that yesterday. Restarted machine and error was still there. Turned off again and tried again. When I restarted the game - the overhead monitor is working perfectly but I have absolutely no lights or movement on the main play field. Also can't use diagnostic buttons to access test screen. I tried the reset button and no changes. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! Really want to get it working again soon (with or without the crystal ball..... ) THANK YOU!

#2 4 years ago

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/woz-some-lights-out-fuse

5EB2C1C8-8570-4526-A45B-F2A6464DF91E (resized).jpeg5EB2C1C8-8570-4526-A45B-F2A6464DF91E (resized).jpeg
#3 4 years ago

Is the backbox light on, monitor says no signal ? If so jump start the motherboard. Briefly short pins 6 and 8 on motherboard on JFP1.

If not that, check that the USB cables are all plugged into the I/O board tight.

LTG : )
photo 2 (resized).JPGphoto 2 (resized).JPG

#4 4 years ago

Thanks! The monitor is working normally - all normal screens and animation.

So - usb cables are my only hope?

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from akj5422:

Thanks! The monitor is working normally - all normal screens and animation.
So - usb cables are my only hope?

If the monitor has signal and is showing video it means the PC is booted and working fine. So it should be something related to the IO board of possibly fuses (although I don't think one fuse aside from the line fuse could cause everything on the PF to not function).

#6 4 years ago

Will try it. Thank you so much!!

#7 4 years ago

Would lead fuse also cause fans and monitor to go out? Those are still working.... Trying to navigate what could/could not be the problem.... TIA!

#8 4 years ago

Power comes in to the game, through the line fuse and to the pc power supply, lighting power supply and transformer. If I remember correctly.

So if the line fuse is out nothing gets power.

Do the fuses have lights on?

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from harryhoudini:

Power comes in to the game, through the line fuse and to the pc power supply, lighting power supply and transformer. If I remember correctly.
So if the line fuse is out nothing gets power.
Do the fuses have lights on?

Some of the fuses have lights. Not all of them. Does that mean I just have to replace the fuses without lights?

IMG_3725 (resized).JPGIMG_3725 (resized).JPG
#10 4 years ago
Quoted from akj5422:

Does that mean I just have to replace the fuses without lights?

It means you need to pull out the high power interlock switch on your coin door. Or something else is going on. You wouldn't blow that many fuses.

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

It means you need to pull out the high power interlock switch on your coin door. Or something else is going on. You wouldn't blow that many fuses.

Correct! I toggled them and all the fuse lights are back. However - play field is still totally down.... Checked all connections and don’t see anything loose.... Did software update. No improvement. Running out of ideas. Would LOVE any insight!

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from akj5422:

Would LOVE any insight!

USB cable to I/O board, front right corner on tight ?

Get a meter and check power to one of the LED boards, see if power supply flew the coop.

#13 4 years ago

I'm interested to find out at this point.

Can you start a game? Does the monkey or the witch move when the game turns on?

I'm thinking it must be something to do with the IO board. You might test some of the power connections under the playfield to see if any power is coming out of the IO board. I believe everything routes through it and I would think you should at least see 5v or 12v going to the playfield from the separate power supply. If not I would try another USB cable to the IO board because that controls everything.

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

USB cable to I/O board, front right corner on tight ?

Don’t know what that looks like... Here’s what I’m seeing. Which one should I be checking?? Thank you!!!!

08A7C8FE-5F2D-48AA-8265-6B83A66ED1A7 (resized).jpeg08A7C8FE-5F2D-48AA-8265-6B83A66ED1A7 (resized).jpeg
#15 4 years ago

On my machine this is the USB plug. I'm guessing you have a YBR? Is that in the backbox?

I think that is the same on yours. I only have one black wire there, you have two. But I think one of them is the USB. If that is plugged in all the way (on both ends, reseat it) then you can use another USB cable to replace it. I believe it's mini USB on one end and USB A on the other.
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

On second look I think that's in the bottom of the cabinet. My layout is the same with the HD there, on my POTC the harddrive is outside the PC case so I would think it's the same on YBR. So yeah, not sure why you have two wires there or what J800 does but that is next to JUSB (which I have my USB in) and both are listed as USB ports on the schematic.

Ah I see, J800 is listed as RGB to CPU and JUSB is listed as Switch Monitor/Device control. Must have changed at some point, I don't even have a connector at J800.

#16 4 years ago
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#17 4 years ago

Starting on page 314 of the manual it covers the IO board with schematic, parts list and pinouts. Might help you see what connectors should be there.

#18 4 years ago

harryhoudini LTG You guys are awesome! I am encouraged just by the fact that I’m not trying to figure this out on my own! Calling it a day but will be in touch tomorrow to let you know what happens. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

#19 4 years ago

Been there myself. LTG is the man so you're in good hands. I'm just bumbling my way through documentation and my game.

#20 4 years ago

Alright - here's what I've got.... I unplugged both the JUSB and J800 cables and plugged them back in the I/O box. I did not unplug them at the other end as that plug was less accessible. Nothing changed. I reset it again to see if that would help. Still nothing.

There is absolutely no movement on the play field. Only monitor, fuse lights, and fans are working. It is ECLE. Late 10/13....

I have a multimeter to check power supply but am not sure where to test - certainly don't want to short something and make things worse! Are there directions in the manual that I could use or can you tell me where I should apply the leads to check it?

Thanks!

#21 4 years ago
Quoted from akj5422:

Alright - here's what I've got.... I unplugged both the JUSB and J800 cables and plugged them back in the I/O box. I did not unplug them at the other end as that plug was less accessible. Nothing changed. I reset it again to see if that would help. Still nothing.
There is absolutely no movement on the play field. Only monitor, fuse lights, and fans are working. It is ECLE. Late 10/13....
I have a multimeter to check power supply but am not sure where to test - certainly don't want to short something and make things worse! Are there directions in the manual that I could use or can you tell me where I should apply the leads to check it?
Thanks!

I don't think power is your issue since the fuse lights are coming on the IO board is getting power which should power the rest of the items. LTG probably has better next steps but might be time to call JJP and see if one of their techs have any details or maybe just send out a new IO board (which sounds like it could be the culprit). I am not the best at reading schematics but with WOZ it seems like the IO board controls all power to the playfield so that would seem likely. I suppose it could be the motherboard/USB ports but you did a restore and that worked so the USB ports are working and it isn't likely the software since you just reloaded it and the game boots fine. If the playfield was getting power something would do something, I would think... spotlights at minimum should probably come on but it seems like the IO board isn't triggering that stuff.

You can do some basic testing on the IO board to see if anything is blatantly wrong. Testing the transistors (or mosfets or whatever are on there) and comparing them to each other would be something I think would at least start that debugging. Maybe this will help because I have no idea except that I think you can put the meter in ohms and test each leg to the other then compare those readings to another transistor to see if they are consistent and close to each other. I think they are labeled with "Q" as the starting number, they are black little boxes with three metal legs coming off. Of course do this with the power off.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-test-transistors#post-708525

#22 4 years ago

I tested the Q transistors I could reach and there was no resistance. Checked F1 and F2 fuses - no resistance. Starting to think that it is the board.... Nothing else makes much sense.

I put in a ticket with JJP online on Friday. Hoping I hear something back tomorrow. Otherwise may call.

Do they have a list of regional techs who could come out to service their machines (the two guys I’ve talked to who do pinball around here are not super familiar with JJP machines....)?

Do you know how long it takes to get parts?

Thanks so much for all of the troubleshooting help. I’ve narrowed things down quite a bit this weekend.

#23 4 years ago
Quoted from akj5422:

I tested the Q transistors I could reach and there was no resistance. Checked F1 and F2 fuses - no resistance. Starting to think that it is the board.... Nothing else makes much sense.
I put in a ticket with JJP online on Friday. Hoping I hear something back tomorrow. Otherwise may call.
Do they have a list of regional techs who could come out to service their machines (the two guys I’ve talked to who do pinball around here are not super familiar with JJP machines....)?
Do you know how long it takes to get parts?
Thanks so much for all of the troubleshooting help. I’ve narrowed things down quite a bit this weekend.

They may need to be tested differently because they aren't normal transistors but I have no clue. Lloyd can probably tell you. So don't base it off that!

Call jjp don't wait for a response, it's more reliable. They'll probably be able to really diagnose along with Lloyd.

If it's just replacing the board you can do it. I'd say most pinball techs would be able to figure out most of jjp games without knowing them. In essence they have the same parts as older games, just a bit newer tech.

Jjp doesn't have techs that go to your house that I know but I bet if you call your closest jjp distributor they will know.

Once you know the part you need you can email [email protected] with the part number and they will ship pretty quick if the part is in stock.

#24 4 years ago

Perfect! Thank you!! Really appreciate the company in the confusion!!

#25 4 years ago

Finally found the culprit - one of the F1/F2 fuses was out. Cheap fix for the win!

Thanks to all who helped me troubleshoot!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

13,000 (OBO)
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Burlingame, CA
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 345.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 16.95
$ 5.00
$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 85.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

9,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Santa Maria, CA

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/woz-play-field-dead-monitor-working-fine-ideas and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.