(Topic ID: 54466)

WOZ owners. Things you love about the machine/game.

By coasterguy

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

There are 146 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
#101 10 years ago
Quoted from B9:

No, a set time to play per ball (say 2 minutes), this would be fun way to play in groups. You could take it one step further and teams could retain progress from other team members.

Cool idea.. any other games do this? We certainly have the ability to force a drain.. (A La Toto).

#102 10 years ago

how about shipping one down under (Australia) would be nice.......tried to buy one and for some reason it won't ship to us, so my question is when will woz come down under.

#103 10 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

Cool idea.. any other games do this? We certainly have the ability to force a drain.. (A La Toto).

A lot of Sega games and some WPC games like Who Dunnit had "Novice mode" which is basically timed play (2 minutes). The player could drain as many times in that two minutes but once the timer is up and their ball drains the game is over regardless of how many balls they played. -I'm not sure if this is what B9 had in mind? I typically avoid playing games this way, but it could be fun in a group setting I suppose if you want to keep games short.

#104 10 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

This idea was discussed in the owners' group a number of times. Picture "Assault on the Vault" mode on Safe Cracker: there's timed amount of gameplay, unlimited ball saves, just go at it and have fun until the clock runs down.

The idea with WOZ is to offer a level playing field for when wizards play with novices, so YOU don't hog the machine for 10 minutes per ball, while the novice isn't put off by losing the ball instantly every time and never getting to do anything fun. The goal: get the most points in a set amount of time.

#105 10 years ago

One feature that I'm hoping will eventually make it into WOZ is player profiles and stat tracking. Imagine if you, family and friends each had a player profile that could be associated with custom avatar images and retain stats that could then be displayed on the LCD. Take it another level and allow sharing profiles across machines.

#106 10 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

That's V1.12.. The big update hasn't been released yet.

Hello, know you if the update arrives this week?
Thank you

#107 10 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

A lot of Sega games and some WPC games like WHO dunnit had "Novice mode" which is basically timed play (2 minutes). The player could drain as many times in that two minutes but once the timer is up and their ball drains the game is over regardless of how many balls they played. -I'm not sure if this is what B9 had in mind? I typically avoid playing games this way, but it could be fun in a group setting I suppose if you want to keep games short.

Actually, I think this is one of the best ways that the pin could "educate" the player on what to do (and generate new players). In essence, after paying for the game, the player could choose to play the game regularly or in tutorial mode. The tutorial mode allows the player a certain amount of time on the pin regardless of drains and even walks them through what to aim for. It could also include some basic pin lessons on the LCD screen on ball handling and nudging.
I recall playing pins when I was a young kid and not knowing what to do or how to play well. Eventually I gravitated over to the video games as they were more clear. This would directly address those issues.
I can only see this as a money maker for JJP, as most people are immediately turned on or off to pins after a try or two. This would end the frustration of paying $1 or more for a game and then having it end in 15 seconds.

#108 10 years ago

Is there a switch on either end of the magnet above the right upper flipper?

#109 10 years ago

Another video explaining a few of the present rules during gameplay:

#110 10 years ago

I noticed that a plastic on the upper left mini pkayfield says "lock up to 5 balls". I take it this feature / ability is not in the game yet. Do you think it means lock 5 balls from the mini playfield or possibly 5 total for some special mode?

#111 10 years ago
Quoted from Hitch9:

Well my wife is unhappy. Does that count? I keep on stalling when she asks me to come to bed. She can't get me off WOZ.
Me...I'm the president of the happy campers club.

Wasn't your wife the one who was pushing you to get this game?

#112 10 years ago

I just played WoZ for the first time today at SS Billiards in Minnesota. I had a bit of skepticism about the theme, but wished them well. Well, that is gone, I think the game is awesome.

The things I love the best about the game are the two outlane minigames, very brilliant idea. Maybe ruins the possibilities of it being a tournament game, but HUGE on the fun scale!

#113 10 years ago
Quoted from Mato:

how about shipping one down under (Australia) would be nice.......tried to buy one and for some reason it won't ship to us.

Maybe Australia has been banned

#114 10 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

Maybe Australia has been banned

No one would ever ban or ignore Australians. There are too many great looking Sheilas and lots of great insights coming from there. We always look forward to pix of their women and opinions on them and other subjects.

#115 10 years ago
Quoted from hlaj78:

Wasn't your wife the one who was pushing you to get this game?

No, she didnt push me, but she did buy it for me. She didn't like to play pinball before, but when she saw WOZ for the first time, I couldn't get her off it. She has and will play woz, however, I think I'm pushing it now, because I'm paying more attention to Woz than I am to her, and keep playing late into the night. In reality she's not unhappy with WOZ. She's unhappy with me.
I'm still president of the happy campers club. I realized I have wozitus real bad however. I haven't heard my wife yell at me for 15 years. It happened 3 nights ago.
What's the cure for wozitus? Could it be... Hobbitus?

#116 10 years ago
Quoted from hlaj78:

No one would ever ban or ignore Australians. There are too many great looking Sheilas and lots of great insights coming from there. We always look forward to pix of their women and opinions on them and other subjects.

I give it a thumbs up for more pics of Sheilas!

#117 10 years ago
Quoted from Hitch9:

I haven't heard my wife yell at me for 15 years. It happened 3 nights ago.

You of course need more machines. Then you won't hear her yell anymore.

#118 10 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

You of course need more machines. Then you won't hear her yell anymore.

I love it Aaron. I forgot about the headphone jack on the front! Problem solved!
Having said that, I gotta be careful. She said she was going to buy me TH as well. I can't upset the cart. My new mantra...moderation, and a headphone! I can feign ignorance.

#119 10 years ago

Hopefully, I will have wozitis soon.

#120 10 years ago
Quoted from Hitch9:

I love it Aaron. I forgot about the headphone jack on the front! Problem solved!
Having said that, I gotta be careful. She said she was going to buy me TH as well. I can't upset the cart. My new mantra...moderation, and a headphone! I can feign ignorance.

Hitch, you have a sweet home situation! Now you have an opportunity to be a hero to your wife and guarantee that she will follow through on The Hobbit. This weekend, tell her that you are so happy with what she has done for you that you want to take her shopping - to the jewelry store. Your lady will be thrilled and it will be another 15 years before she yells at you!

#121 10 years ago
Quoted from sebseb12:

Hello, know you if the update arrives this week?
Thank you

hello alex, you do not have permission to speak for future updates?
I hope not.
I hope that continues to hold jjp inform its customers (and do not do as stern, do not say anything)

#122 10 years ago

Alex had not recieved any code updates as of yesterday from Keith

#123 10 years ago
Quoted from Vyzer2:

Alex had not recieved any code updates as of yesterday from Keith

Correct. I have my pieces. Keith has his and Ted his. We combine them and release. This is going to be a very large update so its going to be a full download not a delta.

#124 10 years ago

ok thank you for the information.
But you have a release date? tomorrow, Saturday, or next week?
thank you
seb

#125 10 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

Correct. I have my pieces. Keith has his and Ted his. We combine them and release. This is going to be a very large update so its going to be a full download not a delta.

Am I going to need a thumb drive larger than 8 GB?

#126 10 years ago
Quoted from txstargazer3:

Hitch, you have a sweet home situation! Now you have an opportunity to be a hero to your wife and guarantee that she will follow through on The Hobbit. This weekend, tell her that you are so happy with what she has done for you that you want to take her shopping - to the jewelry store. Your lady will be thrilled and it will be another 15 years before she yells at you!

Awesome idea. Pinside marriage counseling. I like it. Thanks!

#127 10 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

Awesome news Alex. You've got me excited again. My wife's going to have to buy a lock for the door to the basement when that update comes through. Or another trip to the jewelry store as Texas stargazer suggested...hmmm....maybe I better wait until the update, and then take only one trip to the jewelry store. Dang, these updates could be expensive!

#128 10 years ago

See Ross, I won that battle, as my wife got her dogs, and I got to do whatever I want with the basement. She likes to argue that she never would have thought I would have acquired as many as I have, but I say, tough shit, deals a deal woman, basement is MINE

Are you planning on only getting TH or other machines again as well?

#129 10 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

See Ross, I won that battle, as my wife got her dogs, and I got to do whatever I want with the basement. She likes to argue that she never would have thought I would have acquired as many as I have, but I say, tough shit, deals a deal woman, basement is MINE
Are you planning on only getting TH or other machines again as well?

Aaron. I'd like to get more, but every time I suggest it, I get the where are you going to put them question. You've seen my basement. It's not that big, but I've convinced her there's enough room for 3. Then I'll get creative, and then 4, etc... Finance is part of it too. In two years my son will be out of University, which we are paying for. We should have some better disposable income, once he's done. My workroom is "my area" so I could put 6 more in there. I will never get to your collection size.
When you get tired of that monster bash, give me a call. My son loves that game.

#130 10 years ago
Quoted from Hitch9:

I get the where are you going to put them question. You've seen my basement. It's not that big, but I've convinced her there's enough room for 3. Then I'll get creative, and then 4, etc...

There you go. I mean, how many living rooms does one house need right? I'm sure you love woz, but you know you need some variety, no matter what the machine. It's such a war with women and pinball...

Quoted from Hitch9:

I will never get to your collection size.
When you get tired of that Monster Bash, give me a call. My son loves that game.

I've said never a few times about pinball stuff, and it never worked out for me

As for MB, it's on the trading block if something good comes up, but not sure I'm going to sell it outright.

#131 10 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

As for MB, it's on the trading block if something good comes up, but not sure I'm going to sell it outright.

Hey I've got two years till my sons out of University. I can wait. Maybe I'll have something you want by then. Gotta find a reason to come to London !

#132 10 years ago
Quoted from Pindufus:

Am I going to need a thumb drive larger than 8 GB?

no.. you will never need one larger than that. I can probably get it down to fit on a 4gb but it would take a bit of time and i'm just not that concerned about it.

#133 10 years ago

I keep meaning to pick up a big USB stick, since the largest I have laying around is 2gb (I've never bought one, but I've got dozens... all from trade shows... I should do a "free Friday" and give 'em away to Stern users who could use a small drive that'll actually work).

I do have a 12gb mini USB hard drive from years ago, which I think does mount as "removable disk". Wonder if that will work.

Alternatively I could stick a 32gb Micro SD card into an SD adapter into a memory card reader and prey that works!

#134 10 years ago
Quoted from Sunfox:

I do have a 12gb mini USB hard drive from years ago, which I think does mount as "removable disk". Wonder if that will work.

I saw a post about two weeks ago that said it does not work. I don't know why, though.

#135 10 years ago
Quoted from txstargazer3:

I saw a post about two weeks ago that said it does not work. I don't know why, though.

I should have clarified, this is a "micro" hard drive (like 1.5" square) that appears to mount similar to most USB sticks (not sure, though). I do also have a 240gb mini USB hard drive I got free with some software (yeah, seems I rarely have to buy removable drives), and it mounts as a full hard disk. Not exactly sure what WOZ requires and what will or will not work.

#136 10 years ago
Quoted from Sunfox:

I keep meaning to pick up a big USB stick, since the largest I have laying around is 2gb (I've never bought one, but I've got dozens... all from trade shows... I should do a "free Friday" and give 'em away to Stern users who could use a small drive that'll actually work).
Alternatively I could stick a 32gb Micro SD card into an SD adapter into a memory card reader and prey that works!

Hard drive won't work. Mounts with lba and isn't recognizable in the same fashion as a USB stick.

8gb USB stick is 5 bucks

#137 10 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

There you go. I mean, how many living rooms does one house need right? I'm sure you love woz, but you know you need some variety, no matter what the machine. It's such a war with women and pinball...

I've said never a few times about pinball stuff, and it never worked out for me

Remember, hardly anyone actually *uses* their formal dining room! Put in more PINS!!!

#138 10 years ago

Does anyone know how the "collect" shot located half way between the ball launch lane is hit? Would it be by lifting the upper right flipper and banking it in?

#139 10 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Does anyone know how the "collect" shot located half way between the ball launch lane is hit? Would it be by lifting the upper right flipper and banking it in?

I believe you hold the right flipper up while shooting from the left flipper.

#140 10 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

I believe you hold the right flipper up while shooting from the left flipper.

Thanks! I was hoping that's the case. Pretty cool shot!

#141 10 years ago
Quoted from Sunfox:

This idea was discussed in the owners' group a number of times. Picture "Assault on the Vault" mode on Safe Cracker: there's timed amount of gameplay, unlimited ball saves, just go at it and have fun until the clock runs down.

The idea with WOZ is to offer a level playing field for when wizards play with novices, so YOU don't hog the machine for 10 minutes per ball, while the novice isn't put off by losing the ball instantly every time and never getting to do anything fun. The goal: get the most points in a set amount of time.

Exactly, this is what I was trying to describe

#142 10 years ago

The crystal ball mode "lights on" is great. every LED flashes in rainbow sequence all at once until the mode ends. It is SO bright! I love the ball save modes too. TOTO is really straight forward, but TNPLH is tough, yet to finish it all.

1 week later
#143 10 years ago

Finished tnplh mode at SS Billiards today, pretty cool! So that's what that magnet is for.

#144 10 years ago
Quoted from Matt_Rasmussen:

I just played WoZ for the first time today at SS Billiards in Minnesota. I had a bit of skepticism about the theme, but wished them well. Well, that is gone, I think the game is awesome.
The things I love the best about the game are the two outlane minigames, very brilliant idea. Maybe ruins the possibilities of it being a tournament game, but HUGE on the fun scale!

Why couldn't it be a tournament game?

#145 10 years ago

Those 2 modes can be disabled for tournaments. In fact there is a "tournament" pre-setting in the menu screen.

#146 10 years ago

Yes, I suppose when you disable features you could do it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
11,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Spokane Valley, WA
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 345.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Burlingame, CA
Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 91.00
$ 5.00
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 3.75
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 85.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 55.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

9,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Santa Maria, CA
$ 225.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

There are 146 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/woz-owners-things-you-love-about-the-machinegame/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.