(213 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

In_a_jar.gif
DSC07759.jpg
DSC07760.jpg
DSC07761.JPG
Green_face.gif
There are 97 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 11 years ago

I was just thinking with these two much anticipated pins near at hand, both in the $6K+(LE) range, I'm sure there are people who are locked into one or the other.

I hear some people say Woz is not the theme for them. I would not want to have a Barry Manilow or Fiddler on the Roof pin of course. But WoZ is one of the best movies of all time, and while it has a kid theme, so does Star Wars and Harry Potter, however it's has a lot of comic-book hero vibe to it and there is some downright dark aspects and I for one would not discount it becasue of it's theme. If it were to play like a top 10 game and it was 'Barney the Dianosaur' that would be one thing, but Woz (IMO) is a cool movie and cool theme. One reservation, I would have is if it's really too geared towards kids or if the LCD modes take over from the pinball aspect. But just from the look and the quality of detail it may be a real winner kind of a super-pin (like TZ) updated 20 years later. And it looks like it has everything but the kitchen sink, come to think of it, it may even have a kitchen sink in there somewhere.

On the other hand, we have X-Men, which seems to be a 'hit' already just for the theme, I think X-men is the most popular comic teams of all, with Wolvereine being on par with The Hulk (after the top guys like Spiderman, Batman and Superman). Then we have the whole Borg/Tron/Tron LE vibe going for it and the fact that its going to be as popular a theme as any (up with Avengers and Star Wars).

So, are you planning to buy one? Both?

If you are not in the market but had to pick one which would you prefer?

#2 11 years ago

RAI,

If you have an E92 M3 i have some new BBS LM style wheels (Linea Corsa) you can have I just sold mine and now I have these and want them out of my game room (err garage)

On another note buy a WoZ

#3 11 years ago

Those are my old wheels, I have Advan RS wheels just got last year.

#4 11 years ago

X-Men all the way.

I hope WoZ does well, and I'm confident that people who ordered it will be super-happy.

For me, the theme + the magnet toys on X-Men make me drool.

Also....MUCH hotter ladies on X-Men.

=)

Pete

#5 11 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Those are my old wheels, I have Advan RS wheels just got last year.

Nice.. Not trying to derail your thread. I had a full gintani exhaust on mine. Sounded evil.

Advan RS's are sweet. Did you stick with 19's or go 20? In NY 20"=broken rims and blown tires.

#6 11 years ago

Hard to say for me, X-men or both. But right now, I am going to say X-men can't see buying two $6K+ pinsthis year.

I like the theme of WoZ, and I probably have watched that movie more than I care to admit. I go around asking my kids what their favorite scene and what's their favorite character (Scarecrow all the way for me. "I'd turn back if I were you" is one of my favorite sayings.

However, X-men, and a real comic book theme (not movie tie-in) gets me going, and maybe I know it's an old DMD not a fancy LCD, but maybe that's part of what I like about pins that old/new feel. Like DMD, wasn't that like so-90s? Then to have modern voice and sound (to a degree) call me old fashoned. Plus, I kind of wanted Tron, but maybe this will be the next Tron or Tron on steroids.

#7 11 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

Did you stick with 19's or go 20?

19" for me, they may look smallish, I seen a Camero with 21"s but that looked ridiculuous to me. I'm a 'less is more' kind of guy as far as flashy wheels.

#8 11 years ago

Putting the themes aside, WOZ just does not look to me like it will play very well, whereas XMEN will most likely have some great flow to go with all those cool toys. I'm in!

It's like Gary woke up one day and said "I'm going to pick the coolest, most kickass theme possible to counter JJP and WOZ". I guess Chuck Norris wouldn't sign off on a pin theme so XMEN was the next best thing

#9 11 years ago

Buy the X-men. Stern has stepped up their game.

#10 11 years ago

while I do like the looks of WoZ and have two widebody pins and also used to own STTNG, I do love more room, but imo WoZ may have too much with two small playfields, I never really found a small playfield that was much good, the actual play of the little guys doesn't excite me.

#11 11 years ago
Quoted from Drano:

XMEN will most likely have some great flow to go with all those cool toys. I'm in!
It's like Gary woke up one day and said "I'm going to pick the coolest, most kickass theme possible.

X-MEN was not even on my radar since I assumed it would be just another pin based on the movies, no thanks. Then on Friday after seeing the Stern vid, looking at the PF CAD drawings and reading the posts from MNPinball I went ahead and pre-ordered one from JJ. And this is all after getting the TC TZ in the house on May 10th.

A good friend called me insane after I said I was ordering this machine. Probably some truth to that statement. But ya gotta risk it for the biscuit!

#12 11 years ago
Quoted from Drano:

Putting the themes aside, WOZ just does not look to me like it will play very well, whereas XMEN will most likely have some great flow to go with all those cool toys. I'm in!

On WOZ pictures I cant figure out how the outlanes work....

#13 11 years ago

I have an X-men LE (good guys) ordered. But i can still cancel if the pics doesn't convince me (who am i kidding? ).

#14 11 years ago

Not in the market but would prefer Oz.

I don't have enough money for any NIB purchase but I'd be more interested in a newer flavor.
I don't really like comic books so X-Men doesn't really excite me, although I think it could make for a nice game.
I hope they are both great. Not a huge Stern fan, but obviously I'm not a JJP fan with 0 to show.

#15 11 years ago

Problem with xmen is you have to buy the le to make the it worth while. Pro will be missing to many key elements. Woz same game play eather way. My vote woz.

#16 11 years ago
Quoted from dannunz:

Problem with xmen is you have to buy the le to make the it worth while. Pro will be missing to many key elements.

I'm not 100% on that. I'd take a TF pro over LE for sure. ACDC you gotta have the LE for sure though.

#17 11 years ago

I'm ok with 1 LE model and 1 Pro model. It's just too confusing when they start offering multiple LE editions, especially when you have to pre-order to get the limited numbers. I like the idea of the first 1000 games being LE; then regular after that. Give the early adopters something special. Can always have an option to buy one of the regular models at a lower price point.

Michael

#18 11 years ago
Quoted from dannunz:

Problem with xmen is you have to buy the le to make the it worth while. Pro will be missing to many key elements. Woz same game play eather way. My vote woz.

If you don't mind spending $6500 why do you care about the Pro version?

#19 11 years ago

Neither since I don't have enough for one of them.

#20 11 years ago

Not in the NIB market....Im waiting for the next round from JJP and Sterns Avengers pin when the new owners of X-Men sell up,by then i will know how good a game X'men is!

#21 11 years ago
Quoted from dannunz:

Luckily, both XMEN LE and WOZ are in the same price range, so you can compare apples to apples. Actually, XMEN LE should be a bit less than WOZ Limited Edition.

Quoted from marksf123:

All I've heard is that they've added an extra game element to the outlanes so that if you can succesfully complete it, maybe you get your ball back???

#22 11 years ago

Time for something new! I'm sure X-Men will rock, just like TF, SM, TRON. But it'll probably be more of the same. For me WOZ is so much more a breath of fresh air in the pinball hobby. I'm really looking forward to having that first game, the new flipper feel (well WMS parts, but BRAND NEW), wide body, LCD screen, real composed pinball music. Keith Johnson rules. It's about time we get a new Twilight Zone - and WOZ seems to be it! Don't get me wrong, X-Men will be awesome for sure, but I vote WOZ.

#23 11 years ago

Totally different games as far as play. If you like flow then Xmen. If you liked LOTR and TSPP you will love WOZ and find it to be fun to play and amazing to look at.
Personally I cant stand those games (Not good or bad..just different). So its an easy choice.

#24 11 years ago

Gonna prolly get Boffenuvem

#25 11 years ago

Xmen LE for me

#26 11 years ago

My goal is to try Xmen, because it comes out first, and I like the theme. I do love LOTR, TSPP, TZ, but flow is good too. Stop and go doesn't bother me. If I don't fall in love with Xmen, I'm sure I can trade it away and try WOZ. The theme just didn't do much for me, although I like the movie, not sure if I want something that big draped in it. However, themes don't kill the game for me if it plays good. I never watched Twilight zone and it's my favorite, if not 2nd favorite.

#27 11 years ago

I am going with X-Men... but will tell once the pics come out.

#28 11 years ago

Kind of hard to judge at this time. We know a LOT more about WOZ at this point. We really don't know anything about X-Men. I want to see more before making a decision....

#29 11 years ago
Quoted from robin:

Time for something new! I'm sure X-Men will rock, just like TF, SM, TRON. But it'll probably be more of the same. For me WOZ is so much more a breath of fresh air in the pinball hobby. I'm really looking forward to having that first game, the new flipper feel (well WMS parts, but BRAND NEW), wide body, LCD screen, real composed pinball music. Keith Johnson rules. It's about time we get a new Twilight Zone - and WOZ seems to be it! Don't get me wrong, X-Men will be awesome for sure, but I vote WOZ.

I thought RBION was the next TZ??? Now it's WOZ??? I am so confused.

PS- I am getting both.

#30 11 years ago
Quoted from BriGuy5:

My goal is to try Xmen, because it comes out first, and I like the theme. I do love LOTR, TSPP, TZ, but flow is good too. Stop and go doesn't bother me. If I don't fall in love with Xmen, I'm sure I can trade it away and try WOZ. The theme just didn't do much for me, although I like the movie, not sure if I want something that big draped in it. However, themes don't kill the game for me if it plays good. I never watched Twilight Zone and it's my favorite, if not 2nd favorite.

Brian you can come and play WoZ by my place. XMEN and AC/DC too

#31 11 years ago
Quoted from robin:

I agree with you Robin; it is well past time for something new. WOZ looks like it will be it.

#32 11 years ago
Quoted from Drano:

dannunz said:

Luckily, both XMEN LE and WOZ are in the same price range, so you can compare apples to apples. Actually, XMEN LE should be a bit less than WOZ Limited Edition.
marksf123 said:

All I've heard is that they've added an extra game element to the outlanes so that if you can succesfully complete it, maybe you get your ball back???

I cant wait to compare apples to apples. WOZLE has LCD screen, interactive topper and is a wide body just to name a few things that xmen does not have.

#33 11 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

Brian you can come and play WoZ by my place. XMEN and AC/DC too

My deposit is down for xmen as of Saturday. Still can't believe I did it. Will make a final decision once I see pics, but didn't want to miss out on the LE. Since WOZ will be $6500 regardless, I can wait to play. I'll bring the beer, just tell me when to come.

#34 11 years ago
Quoted from robin:

Time for something new! I'm sure X-Men will rock, just like TF, SM, TRON. But it'll probably be more of the same. For me WOZ is so much more a breath of fresh air in the pinball hobby. I'm really looking forward to having that first game, the new flipper feel (well WMS parts, but BRAND NEW), wide body, LCD screen, real composed pinball music. Keith Johnson rules. It's about time we get a new Twilight Zone - and WOZ seems to be it! Don't get me wrong, X-Men will be awesome for sure, but I vote WOZ

+1

Stern has put out some pretty weak games in the last few years and I am thrilled if they step it up but, I am the type that likes the new guy who pushes the limits. I think X-men is a better theme but supporting JJP and fueling the pinball growth/change gives me a good feeling.

#35 11 years ago

I am personally holding out for Predator, but if I was going to get one of these games I would go with WOZ. It's a new manufacturer who is giving and risking everything to make the best product that can possibly be built, specifically geared towards US! I would definitely prefer the X-men theme, but the truth is we know even less about the game then we do about WOZ. I am amazed at how many ppl are swearing allegiance to yet another Stern super-hero title with so little info. Still, at the end of the day, we wont know what the best choice was until we've played these games to death.

#36 11 years ago
Quoted from robin:

So B/W made like 200 something Pins in the 90's and only manufactured one TZ. What makes you thing JJP's first game will be his TZ. Fat chance.

X-MEN FTW!!!!

#37 11 years ago

// Error: Image 30119 not found //I am lucky that 2 locals ordered a WOZ plus one of these guys has a BHZA reserved as well. So it makes perfect sense that I would pick up a XMLE. Besides I have a TZ that is modded to the max and X-MEN will fit perfectly in my small 4 pin lineup.

In fact I am really excited so I have been spending free time today playing X-MEN the arcade game along with X-MEN: Children of the Atom. Can't wait to see the pics!

DSC07761.JPGDSC07761.JPG// Error: Image 30118 not found // DSC07760.jpgDSC07760.jpg DSC07759.jpgDSC07759.jpg

#38 11 years ago
Quoted from robin:

Too bad that the X-Men theme is 1267.83 x better than WoZ.

The poll currently has X-Men at nearly double the votes as WoZ. I'd have to say a huge part of that is due to theme alone.

#39 11 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I'd have to say a huge part of that is due to theme alone.

Or the 100+ pinsiders who are patiently waiting for their WOZ pin felt no need to chime it?

I purchased WOZ several months ago. I have not lost my excitement for it but freely admit that if I could get Xmen, too....without also getting a divorce, I would have 2 NIB this fall.

#40 11 years ago

Both

#41 11 years ago

If Stern was making WoZ and JJP was making X-men, what would these numbers look like?

#42 11 years ago
Quoted from The_Gorilla:

Or the 100+ pinsiders who are patiently waiting for their WOZ pin felt no need to chime it?

So you are saying that the Pinsider's who ordered WoZ aren't very motivated by their decision now that X-Men has been announced?

#43 11 years ago

yeah imagine if it was JJP doing x-men. no corner cut, lcd, well built...

I'd be curious to see what the poll will look like

#44 11 years ago

I admittedly took a gamble on WoZ since there was so much on the line for JJP, but I just haven't seen enough out of Stern to take a gamble site unseen yet. I canceled preorders before (IJ4) and am a little gun shy. I was never an X-Men comic fan, either, so there's that. Plus, with the new board set coming out, I will definitely pass until Avengers - I think the current Stern boardset was dated from the start.

#45 11 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

So you are saying that the Pinsider's who ordered WoZ aren't very motivated by their decision now that X-Men has been announced?

Yes. NO! Wait...Man, I shouldn't type with a sinus infection, I get so confused.

#46 11 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

yeah imagine if it was JJP doing x-men. no corner cut, lcd, well built...
I'd be curious to see what the poll will look like

I don't think JJP had the design team to pull of XM when they started with WOZ. Maybe if Nordman was on it from the start; who knows? I think the pre-orders for a JJP X-Men would have been through the roof, but if the end product was a Balcer design, I'd likely stay away until I played it.
It's a theme that deserves speed.
WOZ is probably more appropriate to a stop-and-go style... I'm sure someone like Gomez would have done it justice, but I would also avoid a pre-order.

#47 11 years ago

Not in the market, but would go with BBH 2

#48 11 years ago

Lol, I know theme is important but come on. How about quality and game play? I am sure x men will be fun... It's a pinball and won't be unlike all the last entries into the pin world by Stern over the last couple years. Woz is your first chance at a whole new experience being built by people with major pin experience. Sure, it's their first game but the bugs would be more in getting the project up and being built... That is not an issue. This will be a pin not made for sissy players but a full in your face show of lights, action and gameplay never before seen in a game. Are we really having this discussion on which to buy if you had a choice? I guess some are just comfortable in their dads old Buick and would rather stay computer illiterate too. I have ordered the custom built Porsche even if it has a slightly purple hue in color.

#49 11 years ago
Quoted from jamespin:

This will be a pin not made for sissy players but a full in your face show.....

It's Wizard of Oz. How "in your face" can it be?!

And yes. Theme matters. A lot. Always has, always will. How many more pins would JJP have sold if their pin was based on X-Men instead of WoZ? Hint: lots!

#50 11 years ago

WOZ is back to the glory days of Bally Williams. The comparison I com up with would be WOZ is going to be like Addams and TZ wow while X-men may be more like AFM fun.

I love Tron and AC/DC though the quality of these games versus the Bally/Williams games is not there. The wood on Tron and AC/DC dimples all over as there are a lot of air balls.

I love Borgs games and am anticipating X-men. I think WOZ is more likely to be more stop and go, deep rule set with lots of toys like TZ.

WOZ hands down will be more of a quality game while X-men will be fast and fun. If you want a solidly built own forever type of game WOZ will be it. I think X-men will take a beating and have long term quality issues.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

13,000 (OBO)
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 16.95
$ 91.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 29.99
Hardware
Classic Game Rooms

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Lighting - Led
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 5.00
10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 395.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Stephenson, VA
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 97 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/woz-or-x-men and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.