Linked Games

Topic poll

“Wizard of Oz or Metallica”

• Woz 69 votes
    44%
  • Metallica 87 votes
    56%

(156 votes)

There are 66 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 8 years ago

I'm thinking about a new standard Wizard of Oz or a used LE vs a Pinball Refinery Metallica Pro. I'm 80-20 going toward a WOZ not just for me, but my family too. Also, I already have 2 newer Sterns so I don't think I want to be half Stern for variety purposes. Let me know what you guys think. My current lineup is as follows:

Jurassic Park
TWD Pro
Tommy
Star Trek Pro
The Shadow (may be switched out for another B/W title soon)
6th in basement TBD

I have an EM Little Chief upstairs too but I'm looking at filling my 6th & final spot in the basement.

#2 8 years ago

Unless you are a big metallica fan....go for WOZ.

#3 8 years ago

WOZ. It's a very different game than the others--real video screen, wide body, family friendly, challenging rule set, nice light show, well built machine.
I love MET too--it's fast and fun but you already have that with your Star Trek.

#4 8 years ago

I would vote Metallica. I've had it for about 1 year. I owned WOZ for about 6 months and got rid of it. I'm not a huge Metallica fan. WOZ is a GREAT game, but it just doesn't have a lot of staying power for me. It plays a bit too slow like a Pat Lawlor game.

#5 8 years ago

I gotta ask...have you gotten any time to actually play WOZ or Met? Both are really different, and it's such a personal matter of taste.

But just based on what you wrote..WOZ.

So much different than your lineup and a big range of appeal to friends/family.

#6 8 years ago

I have recently faced the same dilemma. I have access to both (thanks to great friends) on a regular basis, and while WoZ has all of the bells and whistles and is feature packed- Metallica is the one I not only would prefer to play every time, but am in the process of buying. WoZ is a wow factor, but for a new/amateur/fun player, it's just not what Metallica is. Note: if you were looking for an advanced game for the money, then WoZ is all that and a bag of chips... ...but I am not hardcore enough to weather it's lighting or complex ruleset.

#7 8 years ago

MET.

#8 8 years ago

Both are great games and I'd love to have either. If you're considering family then go with WOZ, because you'll probably like the two equally but family members will probably like WOZ more.

#9 8 years ago

Right now those are the 2 pins if my collection, a Met Prem and a WozLE, I LOVE both. I can tell you if you are focusing on family and kids, the Woz is a no brainer. I've owned over 25 pins over the years, and Woz is the first pin that my wife REALLY loves and wants to play. My kids love any pinball, but they say Woz is their favorite. Can't go wrong either way but I'd go Woz for everyone.

If you get Met, make sure you use pinball brower to upgrade your music. Mine plays all Rush songs

#10 8 years ago

I really like both these games. MET has some nicely nuanced rules and is a thrill to play. I own a WOZ and the new code is absolutely fantastic. I would consider a top 5 pin ever made and while I really like the play of MET i'm not sure I'm ready to push it to the top of the mountain like that.

#11 8 years ago

I've played and enjoyed both. I haven't played them enough to get in deep. I'm not a great player either fyi. I don't need the most complex rules or anything like that since I usually won't get far enough to worry about them. It does seem like there's more that I'll get to find out about WOZ. Like someone else said, I bet I can get from Metallica what I can already get from the other two Sterns. Maybe at some point I'll trade out Met for one of the Sterns, but right now I don't see either of those leaving anytime soon. Thanks for the suggestions, keep them coming.

#12 8 years ago

No poll?

#13 8 years ago

WOZ.

#14 8 years ago

WOZ was a beauty to look at but the game play and theme didn't really make it for me.

You really couldn't pick two games that are total opposite.

I don't think you can make a bad choice with these two. Enjoy!

#15 8 years ago

Poll added for fun!!

#16 8 years ago

Once I got past the pizzazz, WOZ got boring real fast. The music and the chime sounds also got old real fast.

Metallica never gets boring. Top 5 all time IMO.

Or for something more approachable and family-friendly, maybe Spiderman or Medieval.

#17 8 years ago
Quoted from bkfiv:

Pinball Refinery Metallica Pro.

I'm really surprised they have any left. Met Pro has become difficult to fine (without the price being jacked).

#18 8 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

I'm really surprised they have any left. Met Pro has become difficult to fine (without the price being jacked).

i think they made some more very recently.

i like MET a lot, but OP should go with his gut -- WOZ has huge family appeal and an unbeatable "wow" factor with all the mechanical gadgets, the LCD screen, and the best light show in pinball.

#19 8 years ago

Can't go wrong with met or wiz both great

#20 8 years ago

Having played and enjoyed both pins, I settled on the WOZLE. After almost a year in my game room, the WOZ has not gotten boring, we're all just getting better at playing it. This is my wife and daughter's favorite game, thus the un-macho theme moniker. It's also the non-pinball player's favorite game when guests come over.

I predict your family will point towards the WOZ as the stand out in your collection.

#21 8 years ago

Tough choice ...I own both and i would say they get played about the same from myself but if i have company over the woz wins.

#22 8 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

i think they made some more very recently.

They made Premiums. But of course, if I'm wrong, anyone that has a MET Pro LED NIB at a normal price, feel free to PM me. I was looking for one, but they had stopped making them, and the price had gone up significantly because of that.

Dave

PS: Heck, a nice HUO in the northeast would also work.

#23 8 years ago

Appeasing noobies and children, woz

Wanting a pin that you wont get sick of and that will kick your butt in a good way, met.

#24 8 years ago

Those are two of the top games all time IMO, it's personal taste and they play very different from the other. I'd personally go WOZ simply because there is nothing else out there like it...it's unique and really awesome. LCD is incredible, light shows are spectacular, and it's loads of fun. Metallica is great fun too and it has great lighting too (not quite as good as WOZ). Both have lots of strategy and are long lasting. WOZ is deeper.

#25 8 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

Appeasing noobies and children, woz

WOZ is a crazy difficult game...default settings make noobies and children cry. Unless you're making a tired insecure manhood joke about the theme, you're dead wrong. In my experiences, MET is a much easier game...though it can be an ass kicker at times too.

#26 8 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

WOZ is a crazy difficult game...default settings make noobies and children cry. Unless you're making a tired insecure manhood joke about the theme, you're dead wrong. In my experiences, MET is a much easier game...though it can be an ass kicker at times too.

I had kids and pinball noobs play woz at my house more than any other pin. ANY. OTHER. PIN. Its the theme, the toys, the lights, the screen.

Metallica is an awesome game. I would take it over woz any day. I got tired of woz.

#29 8 years ago

I love them both and have a WOZ. If I had room for another game I would take MET over the newest Stern offerings. They are both great games.

#30 8 years ago

I own both and they sit one pin apart in our game room. Our kids (8 and 11) play WOZ *all* the time. They never touch MET.

I love both games and each one is great in its own way. MET is fast and a kick-ass game. There's a lot to do but if you're not a fan of their music, it may not be for you, or your family.

WOZ is completely different than any other game I own. Yes, the "wow" factor is enticing, but it's an incredible game that is very challenging. The mini playfields are a nice departure from the standard fan layout with return ramps. To those people who say it is boring, yes, it may be a slower playing game than others but it is definitely a deep game with TONS to do.

I voted for WOZ since you already have a ST and TWD which are newer Sterns. MET will feel a lot like ST/TWD, WOZ will be completely different and I expect a welcome change in your lineup.

#31 8 years ago

WOZ by a mile! It's the ultimate pinball machine imho. Metallica is good but WOZ is the gold standard.

#32 8 years ago

I think there is more to see and do in WOZ for people who are new to pinball compared to MET.

Getting the house to spin, then hitting the ball around the loop enough times to get the feet to drop.
Getting the monkey to pick up the ball and deliver it to the upper playfield.
Getting to the rescue playfield.
Opening the doors on the rescue playfield.
Releasing the ball on the rescue playfield to start multiball.
Locking the ball at the munchkin house.
Hitting the witch when she's taunting them.

All these smaller challenges are easy to understand and especially satisfying for beginner players to complete.
More advanced players are challenged by trying to stack as many of the multiballs/playfields as possible with a crystal ball multiplier to get big scores as well as trying to get to SOTR.

I think the biggest payoff on MET for the beginner is lighting up Sparky. Hitting him and watching him fry is a great effect and easy to understand.
They can also see the snake eat the ball and watch the hammer pound the ball into the playfield (on the prem/LE).
Hitting the inline drops enough times to start multiball is also good, but maybe beyond the ability of most beginners.

The more advanced players can appreciate the smoothness of the ramps and explore the rules to figure out the best ways to get big scores, but much of that is probably lost on beginners.

#33 8 years ago

I have both and after reading through this thread and having a good think about it including your list, I would
get both even if it meant you had to sacrifice a couple of what you already have as Metallica is one of if not the best stern ever made,
and WOZ is something you will never regret getting! Both are very different games as far as flow, design and rule set go.
Hard choice but I would even sacrifice my left nut to keep both!

#34 8 years ago

My friends WoZ lasted a couple months longer than my Metle did if that helps. I guess it depends on if you are looking for a keeper or not. He said I probably should have kept my met but I tired of it fast. I did not put up a fuss when he sold his Woz. I don't care to play either ever again.

#35 8 years ago

At the chance of being repetitive, I'm going to echo what 444 people said about MET and 609 people said about WOZ... MET has higher appeal in pinside categories of ranking. This thread just got 1,053 posts longer!

I have played both. WOZ is beautiful but it's all about theme to me and music pins just rock me so it's MET for me. Going to come down to what motivates/drives you as opposed to what all of us say about the pin.

#36 8 years ago

Man, this is exactly the same tough decision I had to make the first of the year. I went with Metallica pro, but now I'm absolutely hooked on wanting a woz. In your specific case, simply based on your existing collection I would go with woz. The whole family will like it more than metallica. Both imho are two of the best games, and best looking games as well. You have a twd currently, and to me it's too similar to metallica as far as typical layout. Woz is really different from other games. I will end up with both as soon as I can afford a woz though. Either one you buy now will leave you wanting the other anyway, so get woz, and start planning on how to get metallica later. GL

#37 8 years ago

WOZ, easily.....it will never win a poll, but the machine is truly an amazing play.....

#38 8 years ago

I owned both and Met is still in my game room... (WOZ is long gone)

#39 8 years ago

slow and methodical or hot and heated should be the question.

#40 8 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

The whole thing about WOZ being easy and boring just blows my mind.......if you don't like the theme or music...if you don't like a wide body...if you don't like upper play fields....these I understand....but geesh, beyond that? No way...

I like MET ( never owned, but had a lot of fun games on a couple), ...just way different games

#41 8 years ago

For me no question Metallica.

Never liked woz from day one.

#42 8 years ago

IMO:

Theme: Metallica premium.

Beauty: WOZ.

Fun: Metallica premium.

~Steveo

#43 8 years ago

Don't like Woz, two mini PF and out lane game (that really bugs me), I'm not really a big fan of Met either, but I like it better than Woz.

#44 8 years ago

I have a Pinball Refinery pro and love it so you know my answer.

#45 8 years ago

I have both (METLE instead of Pro). Have to go WOZ here. MET is badass and may be my favorite stern but it's a typical Stern. Nothing wrong with that but WOZ is a big step forward.

#46 8 years ago

To have a little something different if you are also into the theme I was about to say WOZ .......but then you said the 2 magic words : Pinball Refinery

My MET Pro is pinball refinery number 4 and never leaving my collection. Not only is MET code and toys awesome but if it's also a refinery that should answer all your questions.

Man up get MET you'll thank me after !!! Lol

#47 8 years ago

Ummm, Im gonna say.......Metallica. I like that it swears, the code is great but not hard to understand, I like that the audio doesn't make me want to Sawzall my ears off.

#48 8 years ago

Metallica all day long.

#49 8 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

Ummm, Im gonna say.......Metallica. I like that it swears, the code is great but not hard to understand, I like that the audio doesn't make me want to Sawzall my ears off.

All valid points, but at least you can turn the audio down.....unlike other noises that I can't escape ( she's upstairs watching Nancy Grace right now).....yes, a festive evening around the house tonight.....

#50 8 years ago

They are both great games you really will not go wrong either way.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hot Springs, AR
$ 29.95
$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Chrome Candy

$ 12.95
10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.99
Hardware
Classic Game Rooms

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 225.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 55.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 24.50
$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

9,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Santa Maria, CA
$ 7.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Z

$ 149.00
$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

There are 66 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/woz-or-met and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.