New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 241466)

WOZ: Noob Place Like Home

By snakejaw

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 36 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by pinballinreno
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 1 year ago

First time poster, first time pin owner. I have to ask dumb questions, what can you do?

Have had a few issues with my new WOZ machine, it sat in a box for years and then got thrown around during shipping. I've monkeyed around and fixed what I could, but there are 2 issues I was wondering if anyone had some experience with.

1. In the castle upper playfield, the letter U switch is stuck open. Doesn't register being hit at all. Do I need to take this thing apart to fix the problem, or is there an easier solution?

2. The OZ saucer shot is spotting letters W,I, without ever being hit. Does that make sense? It's providing the first two letters of Wizard for nothing. I have no idea why? Anyone else? Maybe this is a Jersey Jack question.

Appreciate any help I can get, it's a whole new world for me.

#2 1 year ago

Letter spotting is adjustable in the settings. It’s set to give you the first two the first time.

#3 1 year ago

First dumb question answered, thank you very much.

#4 1 year ago
Quoted from snakejaw:

First time poster, first time pin owner. I have to ask dumb questions, what can you do?
Have had a few issues with my new WOZ machine, it sat in a box for years and then got thrown around during shipping. I've monkeyed around and fixed what I could, but there are 2 issues I was wondering if anyone had some experience with.
1. In the castle upper playfield, the letter U switch is stuck open. Doesn't register being hit at all. Do I need to take this thing apart to fix the problem, or is there an easier solution?
2. The OZ saucer shot is spotting letters W,I, without ever being hit. Does that make sense? It's providing the first two letters of Wizard for nothing. I have no idea why? Anyone else? Maybe this is a Jersey Jack question.
Appreciate any help I can get, it's a whole new world for me.

And item 1 sounds like a simple switch adjustment. Go to switch tests to verify its "Red" and carefully adjust the blade gap on the stuck switch till it works correctly. Really shouldn't have to take much if anything apart as these switches are fairly visible from the top side. Switch adjustments are fairly common with most any pinball new or used.

#5 1 year ago
Quoted from snakejaw:

First dumb question answered, thank you very much.

Also a small helper note, you are a stones through away from the Best JJP service tech in the land being #LTG Lloyd at SS Billiards. Visit his amazing pinball/pool facility and take a look at his JJP lineup and Know he will help you with Anything! Good Luck!

#6 1 year ago

Awesome, thanks so much. I have been meaning to check SS Billiards out.

#7 1 year ago
Quoted from snakejaw:

Awesome, thanks so much. I have been meaning to check SS Billiards out.

You are in for a treat then. The place is great and LTG well, he's the Great for a reason! Be prepared to spend some time there as Lloyd is an interesting person with many great stories to share. Always a great time.

#8 1 year ago

Just a note of caution... when you're adjusting that switch (for the letter U), don't do it with the power on. You're just asking for more problems. Only stick tools in there with the power off.

Yes, you can manipulate the target with your finger to see if you can pull it forward a tad to open the leaf switch... but don't go poking and prodding.

#9 1 year ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Just a note of caution... when you're adjusting that switch (for the letter U), don't do it with the power on. You're just asking for more problems. Only stick tools in there with the power off.
Yes, you can manipulate the target with your finger to see if you can pull it forward a tad to open the leaf switch... but don't go poking and prodding.

Kind of agree granted worst he would do is create a closed switch contact if he touched both blades. Now working on the Bottom side of the playfield thats a different story which I advised against. I have adjusted switches live for 20 years and have yet to see an issue or create one.

#10 1 year ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Kind of agree granted worst he would do is create a closed switch contact if he touched both blades. Now working on the Bottom side of the playfield thats a different story which I advised against. I have adjusted switches live for 20 years and have yet to see an issue or create one.

Of course. I should have clarified that. but when it comes to someone new, you can’t make any assumptions about how they’ll attack a problem. Just making sure he’s careful.

#11 1 year ago

Whats the story behind the old boxed WOZ?

#12 1 year ago

Well, this was the emerald green edition, but not the Limited Edition version. Basically it's just a standard with a few green appointments on it. It's MFG date is from late 2015, and I purchased it "new" from pinballs.com

So there's nothing rare or overly special about it, but to the best of my knowledge it's been sitting unplayed for the past few years. Which also might explain a few of the other minor issues I've had with the machine so far. Nothing crazy, but I've had to replace some LED's, clean audio connections, and one of the red slippers on the bats came off in like the second game.

#13 1 year ago

I took those red slipper bats off my game and installed red/sparkle bats from Planetary Pinball. For me, I like that look better

You're going to love that game - it's an amazing experience once you start to learn the rules and objectives. It's definitely one of my all time favorites (and I'm not big on the theme).

Take some time to get the back leg levers at the right height. If you don't get enough pitch on the playfield it can be a little floaty... but get it right and it's wicked smooth with just enough speed to keep you on your toes.

#14 1 year ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

I took those red slipper bats off my game and installed red/sparkle bats from Planetary Pinball. For me, I like that look better
You're going to love that game - it's an amazing experience once you start to learn the rules and objectives. It's definitely one of my all time favorites (and I'm not big on the theme).
Take some time to get the back leg levers at the right height. If you don't get enough pitch on the playfield it can be a little floaty... but get it right and it's wicked smooth with just enough speed to keep you on your toes.

I like the sparkly red bats too.
Too bad they break so easy.

#15 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

I like the sparkly red bats too.
Too bad they break so easy.

I don't think mine have broken in almost 4 years of use (I'd check, but all of my games are wrapped up for some work in the house).

Might be time to order a few extra sets

#16 1 year ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

I don't think mine have broken in almost 4 years of use (I'd check, but all of my games are wrapped up for some work in the house).
Might be time to order a few extra sets

I have replaced all 3 twice.
12000 plays.

#17 1 year ago

12000 plays.

Holly crap! You have 12k plays? You Really love your WOZ!!

#18 1 year ago

12000 plays.

#19 1 year ago

Quick update, I was able to open up the leaf switch on the upper playfield so that it should be registering. Unfortunately it's still not showing any signs of life, and on the switch screen is still red.

I know there are other forum posts for me to peruse on this, so I don't mean to force a sequel to an old conversation. That being said, maybe there's a connection or diode issue I need to explore further.

Also I didn't jam any tools into the machine with it plugged in, scouts honor.

#20 1 year ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Holly crap! You have 12k plays? You Really love your WOZ!!

The game is really strong. It gets played every day, 7 days a week.

Looks like new, I wax it and change balls every 300 games.

Waxing the ramp has really helped.

Biggest problem has been the right castle door. It fails regularly.

#21 1 year ago
Quoted from snakejaw:

Well, this was the emerald green edition, but not the Limited Edition version. Basically it's just a standard with a few green appointments on it. It's MFG date is from late 2015, and I purchased it "new" from pinballs.com
So there's nothing rare or overly special about it, but to the best of my knowledge it's been sitting unplayed for the past few years. Which also might explain a few of the other minor issues I've had with the machine so far. Nothing crazy, but I've had to replace some LED's, clean audio connections, and one of the red slippers on the bats came off in like the second game.

Glue the slippers on with CA gel glue. Epoxy wont hold.

Don't even bother scraping off the tape.

#22 1 year ago
Quoted from snakejaw:

Quick update, I was able to open up the leaf switch on the upper playfield so that it should be registering. Unfortunately it's still not showing any signs of life, and on the switch screen is still red.
I know there are other forum posts for me to peruse on this, so I don't mean to force a sequel to an old conversation. That being said, maybe there's a connection or diode issue I need to explore further.
Also I didn't jam any tools into the machine with it plugged in, scouts honor.

Pull the castle playfield check for cold solder joints or wire fell off, replace diode on the switch.

And if that doesn't work trace the wire to see if there is a bad crimp in the connector.

#23 1 year ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Speak of the devil... did you see this?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-am-dumb

Feel for the guy.

#24 1 year ago

I have 12000 plays on my WoZ.

Then it's sure not imamaculate.

#25 1 year ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

Then it's sure not imamaculate.

Looks pretty good for all the traffic, but I have replaced things as we went along, not because they were bad, but to keep it looking brand new.
New castle playfield complete assembly.
New munchkin playfiled complete assembly.
New ramp.
New plastics complete.
New flipper mechs.
New lock bar mech.
New rubbers complete every 2500 plays.
Complete set of new standup targets.
New crystal ball assembly
New winkie drop assembly...

Just installed Glinda target #4. Man she takes a beating LOL !

Cliffys installed.
Playfield looks really good, almost no signs of wear.

So, pretty much new at this point.

Waiting on the WOZ 2.0 boards to update it more.

So, not NIB fresh, but better than most I have seen with far fewer plays.

The key is maintenance! WAX !!!!! Change balls out frequently !!!! Fix it right when things go wrong etc...

Game has not been moved since it was placed in my home, Probably never sell it, people love it too much!

#26 1 year ago

Looks pretty good for all the traffic, but I have replaced things as we went along, not because they were bad, but to keep it looking brand new.
New ramp.
New plastics complete.
New flipper mechs.
New lock bar mech.
Cliffys installed.
The key is maintenance! WAX !!!!! Change balls out frequently !!!! Fix it right when things go wrong etc...
Game has not been moved since it was placed in my home, Probably never sell it, people love it too much!

Ooof.. That list made my wallet hurt.

#27 1 year ago

I have a question for you:

Why was this pin left in a box for "years"?

#28 1 year ago

New ramp.
New plastics complete.
New flipper mechs.
New lock bar mech.
Cliffys installed.

So you have 12k plays and have not installed 2.0 lt bds? Have you had to replace many/any of the light boards?

#29 1 year ago
Quoted from Vyzer2:

So you have 12k plays and have not installed 2.0 lt bds? Have you had to replace many/any of the light boards?

None.

But I'm thinking of going to a faster computer, possibly an i5 and a pro SSD maybe an m.2 drive.

And while doing this upgrading to the 2.0 boardset.

#30 1 year ago

None.
But I'm thinking of going to a faster computer, possibly an i5 and a pro SSD maybe an m.2 drive.
And while doing this upgrading to the 2.0 boardset.

Why the computer upgrade? I've never read one thing about needing any sort of update?

I'm also doing the 2.0 boards so you have peaked my interest.

#31 1 year ago
Quoted from harryhoudini:

Why the computer upgrade? I've never read one thing about needing any sort of update?
I'm also doing the 2.0 boards so you have peaked my interest.

Faster load times.
Also its 5 years old and has a lot of time on it.
So, as the computer needs changing out coming up, it's time for an upgrade.

#32 1 year ago

Faster load times.
Also its 5 years old and has a lot of time on it.
So, as the computer needs changing out coming up, it's time for an upgrade.

Ahh.. so what's that process like? Are you cloning the hard drive? Any special hardware considerations? Maybe you can post a tutorial, haven't seen anything about this at all. Only thing I've ever read about the computer side of things was that if you lose BIOS settings (battery dies) you have to call JJP to get them (not sure why they couldn't give those in the manual). Haven't seen anything about actually replacing the mobo/hard drive.

#33 1 year ago

The game is really strong. It gets played every day, 7 days a week.
Looks like new, I wax it and change balls every 300 games.
Waxing the ramp has really helped.
Biggest problem has been the right castle door. It fails regularly.

I’d be curious to see pictures of a WOZ with 12k plays, just to get an idea about where mine is heading to (and get enough motivation to follow your maintenance guide !)

#34 1 year ago

Glue the slippers on with CA gel glue. Epoxy wont hold.
Don't even bother scraping off the tape.

3M VSB or extreme tape cut to shape works great to attach the shoes.

#35 1 year ago
Quoted from harryhoudini:

Ahh.. so what's that process like? Are you cloning the hard drive? Any special hardware considerations? Maybe you can post a tutorial, haven't seen anything about this at all. Only thing I've ever read about the computer side of things was that if you lose BIOS settings (battery dies) you have to call JJP to get them (not sure why they couldn't give those in the manual). Haven't seen anything about actually replacing the mobo/hard drive.

Bios settings are in the tutorial on changing the motherboard to the same motherboard that's in Hobbit. I originally made the tutorial after waiting almost 2 years for JJP to address the lockups in the software that happened to 24/7 ECLE location machines running anything after 5.05 (because they changed the linux kernel with 6.xx) after a day or two consistently, but I verified did NOT happen with the newer motherboard that was in RR WoZ (which they changed to the same one from Hobbit). Of course, right after I finished the swap with instructions and posted them, JJP finally fixed the problem in their code.

The thread with the BIOS settings and info on swapping motherboards is here:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/woz-6xx-attract-mode-lockups#post-4112218

#36 1 year ago
Quoted from adol75:

I’d be curious to see pictures of a WOZ with 12k plays, just to get an idea about where mine is heading to (and get enough motivation to follow your maintenance guide !)

It looks great.

A couple other threads have been posted on the life of games like star trek and MMr at 40,000 plays on location.

Modern games are super durable as long as you do the maintenance and look new forever.

Dingy, broken down games usually clean up pretty good and look great after a teardown.

Black dust is a killer, its basically metal fillings from the coil stops.

Regular cleaning is easy if you do it all the time.

The key is wax and change the balls. Vacuum out the black dust with a small shop vac and a micro attachment. Inside and out.

Wax everything, Ramps, wireforms, flatrails or anything the ball touches.

Buy a gallon of naptha.
When you change the rubber, dewax the entire game and rewax.
Use it to wash everything when you take something apart.

Old wax with dust stuck in it looks dirty.

It's really good stuff, kills black ball tracks in standup targets on contact.

I use P21S (silver can) wax or blitz.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
$ 42.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Milford, CT

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside