(Topic ID: 89075)

WoZ moving up the charts (now ahead of Tron)

By rai

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Which do you prefer?”

• Tron 139 votes
    52%
  • WoZ 118 votes
    44%
  • Both equal 11 votes
    4%

(268 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

armadllo-1.jpg
screenshot20130207at910.png
image-176.jpg
Clu_Lightcycle_Joust2.gif
pinside-tron-header-25.jpg
pinside-tron-header-26.jpg
pinside-tron-header-24.jpg
pinside-tron-header-22.jpg
pinside-tron-header-23.jpg
pinside-tron-header-21.jpg
pinside-tron-header-20.jpg
pinside-tron-header-19.jpg
pinside-tron-header-18.jpg
pinside-tron-header-17.jpg
pinside-tron-header-16.jpg
pinside-tron-header-14.jpg
There are 397 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 8.
#101 9 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

Why? All you drink is that girly crap.
» YouTube video

are you saying he needs paperclips ?

#102 9 years ago

Lets see it flanky

image-656.jpgimage-656.jpg
#103 9 years ago
Quoted from retired_user_101:

are you saying he needs paperclips ?

GRRRRRR!!!! but on the inside LOL

#104 9 years ago

hehehehe

(ps. i totally blow at woz. i've played in 3 cities, and every time. . . drain-o-la)

#105 9 years ago

woz is a good pin..........

formetopoopon.jpgformetopoopon.jpg

#106 9 years ago
Quoted from PorkChopExpress:

woz is a good pin..........

formetopoopon.jpg 14 KB

funniest improv on the face of the planet.
we fell on the floor laughing when we first saw this when it aired

#107 9 years ago

I've got to chime in here....

I own both games, Tron and WOZ,,, and I like them both. Have been trying to conquer Quorra... trying my best. And it is quite the challenge.... like this game a lot.

But let me comment on WOZ....... since that's what the orginal thread was about. "WOZ Climbing Up the Charts"...

And so let me say that only owning a few games, and AC/DC is really one of my favorites. And owning WOZ for just a little over 24 hours.......

My first impression is: WOZ is in a totally league of it's own. Damn, I drank the coolaid. But YES I did!.... I am not one to participate in any discussion that bashes one or the other... and I will definitely not do that here. I am just that damn impressed.

Tron is one of our favorite games. It is quite difficult. It is quite enjoyable when I can hit what I need to hit. And AC/DC is just damn fun about all of the time.

I am not that surprised that WOZ is climbing up the charts. It sure climbed up on mine.

#108 9 years ago

pacman-chart-1.jpgpacman-chart-1.jpg

#109 9 years ago
Quoted from Geremy13:

My first impression is: WOZ is in a totally league of it's own. Damn, I drank the coolaid.

Do Not listen to this Communist Russian Spy!
Every Red-Blooded American KNOWS how to spell......... KOOL-AID!
You sir, have the coolaids!

kool-aid.jpgkool-aid.jpg

#110 9 years ago

Have both ,I am putting my loaded tron up for sale

#111 9 years ago
Quoted from retired_user_101:

funniest improv on the face of the planet.
we fell on the floor laughing when we first saw this when it aired
» YouTube video

That has to be a good 40% of the pinball community.

#112 9 years ago

wont be long before its in the top 10.

#113 9 years ago

Because my space and cash are limited, I put my money on a pin that would have staying power. It wasn't based on theme, or ability to hold value, it was based on my ability to have fun, and come back for more. I also am getting at the age where it's a real pain to move pins in and out of the house. Right now I have one pin in my House, and it's WOZ. I like a lot of the other pins including Tron, but my preference is obviously sitting in my basement. I guess I'm a kool-aıd drinker as well?!

#114 9 years ago

Surely it's not so hard. I have Tron and have got WOZ coming. I can't wait for it. They will sit side by side.

#115 9 years ago

I would have hoped we're past the time when it seemed necessary to compare WOZ to other pins.
It's in a league of it's own.
Which league that is, is up to you.

#116 9 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

And of course, Godwin's Law has been invoked.

I learn something new on Pinside everyday.

#117 9 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

I would have hoped we're past the time when it seemed necessary to compare WOZ to other pins.
It's in a league of it's own.
Which league that is, is up to you.

Or, I prefer the time that I've personally arrived at, where WOZ is just another pin. It's cool, innovative in some ways, great rules, lot going on. But it's just pinball. Some flippers and a ball and some switches. Sun beams don't pierce the dark night to illuminate it (maybe that was the plan for the GI!) it's just a cool game. Comparing games is natural. I'm personally fine with comparing games.

I saw one next to Mustang. Man, Stern made a cheap looking machine with that one, no question. WOZ might have raised the bar, but you wouldn't know it from looking at Mustang. But it was still fun to flip. Balls and switches. I'd take a WOZ over it in a heartbeat, but you can at least get that Mustang for practically half the price of a WOZ Standard. I respect that, even if I think the art and design look like ass.

Luckily at least so far there's room for both in the world. All I know is my Tron isn't going anywhere!

#118 9 years ago

WOZ is really pretty, that's pretty much where it stops...

Played it multiple times at pinball shows and at various collectors homes, machine does nothing for me at all...

meanwhile, I own two Trons :p

But I think there are machines better than Tron too

Woz is a Top 100, but not Top 10, not even close

#119 9 years ago

I don't really care what any of you think. Especially when your opinion doesn't agree with mine. So there!

#120 9 years ago

/thread

#121 9 years ago
Quoted from usandthem:

This isn't trolling. This thread is real. To the mods' credit, mandatory slurping of WOZ is only required on this particular thread, but it is still unprecedented as far as Pinside is concerned, I'd say

Hey I missed that thread thanks for the link. there was another one like it were the haters went in there and stirred it up until it got locked. So congrats to the mod's for letting like-minded people enjoy conversing with each other. Without being harassed.

#122 9 years ago
Quoted from flecom:

Played it multiple times at pinball shows and at various collectors homes, machine does nothing for me at all...

same here. i keep trying it bc people tell me it's great. they keep mentioning the rules. i don't like deep rules, i like shots. woz shots just don't feel "right" or satisfying to me.

#123 9 years ago

Owned a Tron and have played WOZ @ modern pinball many times. 2 great games. There is no game like WOZ. This is fact. After you have played Tron and FH (another great pin) you can see that they are very close. Tron is fast and fun. After you get the gem shot down the game is easy and not deep at all. Still one of the best looking games IMO with the best music in pinball. WOZ could use some better music with the different modes. But still hands down WOZ wins. Wide body, toys, innovation, upper playfield's, with just a new feel to pinball. After playing a WOZ for the first time I was like. WOW this game is like nothing I've ever played.

#124 9 years ago

Tron is fun to play on location; that's about it. It would get boring real quick in a home environment. When 75% of my games land me in Sea of Simulation... not a keeper. Even in recent Sterns, I'd take X-Men over Tron in a heartbeat. It's every bit as hard, and there's so much more to do.

WoZ too. It's LOTR level deep, and with twice as many things to shoot for to make progress. And it's a constant risk reward of 'Do I cash in no hold flipper and hope for the best in ECMB or wait and hope I get something better like lights on / off? Can I handle weak flippers and get double jackpots in Fireball Frenzy or just start FF, but maybe I'll make a wrong flip and get lights on..."

#125 9 years ago
Quoted from ccotenj:

so that people can look down at their e-penis and feel good about themselves...

I'd be happy if I could look down at my real penis and feel good about myself...

#126 9 years ago
Quoted from alichino:

Tron is fun to play on location; that's about it. It would get boring real quick in a home environment.

laughing-my-ass-off-smiley-emoticon.giflaughing-my-ass-off-smiley-emoticon.gif
#127 9 years ago

I guess I'm late to the party but WoZ over TRON??!!?1

watchu.pngwatchu.png

#128 9 years ago
Quoted from alichino:

When 75% of my games land me in Sea of Simulation... not a keeper.

Are you serious?

If you are hitting SoS 75% of the time, you should probably get to PAPA and win an easy $10k.

Either that or you are playing an easy game.

#129 9 years ago

If TRON is the best that Stern has had to offer in the past 10 years (and what a great pin it is!!) and WOZ is neck and neck with it, I'd say JJP hit a home run for their first pin.

#130 9 years ago

Tron is a fun and fast game but it feels like a stripped down model to me compared to AC/DC let alone WOZ.

I think it's telling when our league night is hosted at someone's house. New people to the hobby who mostly hear about and play the latest titles are surprised at how fun some of the lesser known titles, like Indianapolis 500 for example, are when they are in excellent condition, and how much stuff (mechanics, DMD graphics, sound, creativity) was put into them.

#131 9 years ago
Quoted from movingpictures:

Are you serious?
If you are hitting SoS 75% of the time, you should probably get to PAPA and win an easy $10k.
Either that or you are playing an easy game.

What's so hard about it? Disk is the hardest one to get, and all you need is to bang on the left side of the cab as it's coming out. Maybe more like 50%, but it's really not that hard to get to Sea of Simulation.

The plunge gives you 1/4 of light cycle, then you hit quora. 1/2 to light cycle, 1/4 to quora.

From there, right flipper is just focusing on quora -> gem. Left flipper is focusing on the disk. Awesome... I have one important shot from each flipper. That gets old quick.

#132 9 years ago

Ok sweet sweet all I have to do is hit Gem a bunch of times...piece of cake

What makes it hard is actually doing it, and depending on how hard your game is set up (or easy) has a lot to do with it. I also don;t think it's super tough, but I play it in yournaments a lot so it's a bit tougher.

#133 9 years ago

Wow, 79-79. This is one hell of a close race!

#134 9 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Wow, 79-79. This is one hell of a close race!

Yeah it is. Man I wish I had a lot of good time to get on a WOZ and see all the stuff people have mentioned to me.

#135 9 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Ok sweet sweet all I have to do is hit Gem a bunch of times...piece of cake
What makes it hard is actually doing it, and depending on how hard your game is set up (or easy) has a lot to do with it. I also don;t think it's super tough, but I play it in yournaments a lot so it's a bit tougher.

That's my point, though. Even if it's set up tournament difficult, there's still only two things to shoot for. What you're saying is less "The game is really fun" and more "The outlanes get super wide"

I don't ever plan on having a BOP because there's only two shots that matter. Likewise, I'd much rather go WoZ because there are actually things to shoot for.

#136 9 years ago
Quoted from 6S3NC3:

. After playing a WOZ for the first time I was like. WOW this game is like nothing I've ever played.

I guess you've never played TSPP before.

#137 9 years ago
Quoted from alichino:

That's my point, though. Even if it's set up tournament difficult, there's still only two things to shoot for.

Well in a tournament if you're shooting at only 2 things you are going to lose very badly all the time unless you're playing your sister's shitty friends.

It's diff'rent strokes all around. I don;t think it's an extrememly deep game, but I also don;t think it has to be. It's balanced very well. I've said before it reminds me a lot of HS...another game that is not deep at all and I still play all the time.

EDIT: As mentioned above people always mentions TSPP which is super super deep and awesome rules I guess...to me I'd rather play just aboot anything else.

#138 9 years ago

Woz thread, one day, three pages, something's not right here......

Anybody seen Panzer?

#139 9 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I've said before it reminds me a lot of HS...another game that is not deep at all and I still play all the time.

That's exactly what I thought when I first played it. Though I like HS better due to the flow of the orbits.

#140 9 years ago

This is the curse of 'deep' games. They're great to own at home, because you really need them there to fully explore them and get all up into the depths. But then you realize that after a while you just aren't playing it anymore, because it starts to feel like a long grind to get somewhere, and you just don't always have the time or attention span to do it. Which is why so many people just love TSPP, but don't actually play it anymore.

You know why people love Tron and Iron Man? Because they're simple, and they're fun. Flipping feels fun. You can just turn them on, play a few games, and have a good time. WOZ is a really interesting game, I wand to spend more time on it, I'm not putting it down. But it's not fun to flip like Tron is. Nothing is gonna change that. Tron I can play 10 times in a row, and by 10 I mean 20 because it was probably kicking my ass. Hey, if you get to SoS 75% of the time you're a better player than most, good for you. For me it's not a problem.

#141 9 years ago

the-wizard-of-oz.jpgthe-wizard-of-oz.jpg

Vs.

GemQuorra.jpgGemQuorra.jpg

Any questions?

#142 9 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Well in a tournament if you're shooting at only 2 things you are going to lose very badly all the time unless you're playing your sister's shitty friends.

Dude, don't be a dick.

Quoted from TheLaw:

It's diff'rent strokes all around. I don;t think it's an extrememly deep game, but I also don;t think it has to be. It's balanced very well. I've said before it reminds me a lot of HS...another game that is not deep at all and I still play all the time.

I just don't get the love for it. For me, IM is a much better example of a game that's hard but good because it has some interesting goals; Tron gets a lot more love for some reason, though. And interesting goals is what makes or breaks a pinball machine for me, which WoZ has in spades.

#143 9 years ago
Quoted from alichino:

Dude, don't be a dick.

He's not being a dick and how about you refrain from name calling and personal attacks.

#144 9 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

Vs.
Any questions?

Yeah we've already mentioned the horrible photoshopping of Laura Croft's breasts on to Quorra....poor job.

Quoted from alichino:

Dude, don't be a dick.

Why are your sister's friends really good or something? <--- use of emoticon to imply a light hearted joke.

#145 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

people just love TSPP, but don't actually play it anymore.

I play TSPP all the time!

I guess we could look here for some proof too?

214976.jpg214976.jpg

#146 9 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Why are your sister's friends really good or something? <--- use of emoticon to imply a light hearted joke.

Whoops. Emoticon didn't show up on my phone. Sorry for that.

#147 9 years ago
Quoted from alichino:

Whoops. Emoticon didn't show up on my phone. Sorry for that.

No worries.

#148 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

This is the curse of 'deep' games. They're great to own at home, because you really need them there to fully explore them and get all up into the depths. But then you realize that after a while you just aren't playing it anymore, because it starts to feel like a long grind to get somewhere, and you just don't always have the time or attention span to do it. Which is why so many people just love TSPP, but don't actually play it anymore.
You know why people love Tron and Iron Man? Because they're simple, and they're fun. Flipping feels fun. You can just turn them on, play a few games, and have a good time. WOZ is a really interesting game, I wand to spend more time on it, I'm not putting it down. But it's not fun to flip like Tron is. Nothing is gonna change that. Tron I can play 10 times in a row, and by 10 I mean 20 because it was probably kicking my ass. Hey, if you get to SoS 75% of the time you're a better player than most, good for you. For me it's not a problem.

I find WOZ to be an interesting mix of score based and objective based rules. Even though the ruleset is deep, game times can be very short. It keeps me pushing the start button hoping to get that one break out game.

In LOTR I don't really care about the score, it's all about the quest for Valinor. I find satisfaction in completing many of the steps along the way, like completing a mode, destroying the ring or getting There and Back Again, so that it doesn't feel like a grind to me, but most games are fairly long.

With WOZ, I find there are constant risk versus reward decisions that revolve around pushing for higher scores and/or achieving objectives. Highest scores are obtained by stacking multiple playfields and multiballs with a crystal ball mode. But which crystal ball mode is best with which multiball? Should I try to change the current Crystal ball Mode, or just collect it? Should I hold off starting Emerald City multiball until I start Rescue Multiball? There seem to be many different ways to approach the game. You can actually achieve a high score in a short period of time if you're able to execute a good strategy. The question I find myself continually asking is, "How ambitious do I want to be right now?"

There was debate about which button should control which upper playfield flipper. I think they made the right choice in the button assignment and in using a single flipper because during multiball if you can cradle the balls with the lower left flipper, you can use the lower right flipper to send one ball to the castle playfield and still have the right flipper available to work the upper castle playfield. Works the same for the Munchkin playfield, only reversed.

You could also not stack things to keep more control during the individual multiballs that need to be completed to progress towards Somewhere Over the Rainbow.

I like games with layered rulesets that are fairly easy to understand and retain. For example, it's easy for me to understand and remember that during multiball, every playfield that I have a ball on acts as an overall multiplier.

What I really like about WOZ with version 3.0 is that I feel like the machine gives enough guidance with its sound, lights and display that I can discover all the scoring and objective intricacies on my own by just playing the machine.

#149 9 years ago
Quoted from Chippewa-Pin:

If TRON is the best that Stern has had to offer in the past 10 years (and what a great pin it is!!) and WOZ is neck and neck with it, I'd say JJP hit a home run for their first pin.

I agree, people forget that WOZ is the 1st machine from a new company. What was Stern's first pin? Harley-Davidson, Striker Extreme? Very excited about future JJP games.

#150 9 years ago
Quoted from Chippewa-Pin:

Quoted from solarvalue:

I agree, people forget that WOZ is the 1st machine from a new company. What was Stern's first pin? Harley-Davidson, Striker Extreme? Very excited about future JJP games.

Funny, since Tron isn't high on my list, such a close race struck me as a little insulting to WOZ.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Willington, DE
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Stephenson, VA
Machine - For Sale
Sadsburyville, PA
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Lighting - Led
Pinball Mod Co.

13,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Howard City, MI
$ 6.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

There are 397 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 8.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/woz-moving-up-the-charts-now-ahead-of-tron/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.