Topic Stats

• 38 posts
  • 22 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by nickrooster
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

A few days ago I noticed that my WOZ Standard was making a strange sound, like a distant shotgun blast (bang, bang, bang). Further investigation indicates that the sound only occurs when the drop target (Winkie) is in the down position. I have worked on the switch without success (I have made the switch a little closer to the green button. Should it be further away?). Also, there is a screw (sticking out) that pushes against the metal place (adjustable) under the coil. Would this have anything to do with it? Any help will be greatly appreciated, especially someone that has had this problem.

#2 5 years ago

Is the drop target re setting over and over? If so bend the hole bracket forward .

#3 5 years ago

Check to see if the decal on the front of the drop is not curling up preventing it from falling all of the way. This has been a common issue.

#4 5 years ago

No the target is not resetting over and over and the decal is not curling. The target seems to be down all the way - no problem there. All of the connections appear to be good. Thanks.

#5 5 years ago

I have adjusted the switch many times. Could it be a bad switch? I don't guess anything in the software would give me a clue? I have adjusted switches on other machines (ACDC not kicking ball out of jukebox home; X-Men not reg. points) but this has me baffled. Surely someone has had this happen before.

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from jamesdeloris:

WOZ making strange sound

That "zing" sound makes me bat-shit crazy.

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

This sound isn't a "zing". It's more like distant thunder or shotgun blasts.

#8 5 years ago

Does the sound occur naturally anytime in the game (is it a sound sample)?

#9 5 years ago

Look for tiny shell casings in the cab---you may have an angry munchkin...

#10 5 years ago

My game does not make any sounds when the winkie drops. The game must know its down,it tells me to shoot the castle. Are you saying the target make a sound when it goes down and keeps making the same sound? Or the gun sound from another target but only when the winkie is down?

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from JIM_Z:

My game does not make any sounds when the winkie drops. The game must know its down,it tells me to shoot the castle. Are you saying the target make a sound when it goes down and keeps making the same sound? Or the gun sound from another target but only when the winkie is down?

The bang, bang, bang starts when the target drops. That is what triggers it. Mine also says "shoot the castle". At first I thought the noise (bang, bang, bang) was just part of that. I don't think so. It keeps making the sound as long as the target is down - unless the ball drains, then it stops. As long as the ball is in play (on the pf) and the target is down it makes that sound.

#12 5 years ago

Switch is misadjusted or dirty or something I'd guess. Game thinks it's still up and trys to continually pull it down...even though it's down already...

#13 5 years ago

Your going to have to post a video

#14 5 years ago

Oh, that's just the Winkie taking a Twinky. Lol.
I second lllvjr, post a video so we can hear the noise.

#15 5 years ago
Quoted from tomdotcom:

Switch is misadjusted or dirty or something I'd guess. Game thinks it's still up and trys to continually pull it down...even though it's down already...

I've adjusted it several times (both toward and away from the little green button). It doesn't look dirty. It just started recently. I don't know what else I could possible do to the switch that I haven't done. What you are saying sounds reasonable but what can I do to correct it? Anything in that area besides the switch?

#16 5 years ago

I've adjusted it several times (both toward and away from the little green button). It doesn't look dirty. It just started recently. I don't know what else I could possible do to the switch that I haven't done. What you are saying sounds reasonable but what can I do to correct it? Anything in that area besides the switch?

Without pictures or a game of our own handy it is hard to help. If you have cleaned and adjusted it is probably not a cleaning or adjustment issue (or that you can fix yet). I would contact the JJP help forum. "open a ticket" as it were.

#17 5 years ago

Did you try the LTG signal? Its sorta like the bat signal, but you project a smiley face onto the clouds

#18 5 years ago

Check switch under playfield on drop target for adjustment, over tight screws holding switch, bad switch.

#19 4 years ago

My game started doing the same thing tonight. When the drop target is in the down position it sounds as if its trying to either drop again or come back up. Once the target resets ( is up ) the noise stops. As soon as its knocked down again, its starts again. I haven't even looked to see what the problem maybe but its certainly the same issue as the op is having.

Ill try and have a look tomorrow, as for being dirty, my game still has less then 100 plays on it, so I doubt that's the issue.

Any thoughts Pinchroma or LTG?

#20 4 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

OT: its more of a "Ting" sound (WOZ lanes)

#21 4 years ago
Quoted from Spencer:

My game started doing the same thing tonight. When the drop target is in the down position it sounds as if its trying to either drop again or come back up. Once the target resets ( is up ) the noise stops. As soon as its knocked down again, its starts again. I haven't even looked to see what the problem maybe but its certainly the same issue as the op is having.
Ill try and have a look tomorrow, as for being dirty, my game still has less then 100 plays on it, so I doubt that's the issue.
Any thoughts Pinchroma or LTG?

Lift the playfield and grab the assembly from the bottom and pull it towards the front of the game then check the switch adjustment a on the bottom.

#22 4 years ago
Quoted from JIM_Z:

Lift the playfield and grab the assembly from the bottom and pull it towards the front of the game then check the switch adjustment a on the bottom.

I will try playing with it tonight if I get a chance.

I should add to be 100% clear, the target has no issues going down or up, so its not rubbing. When its hit, it drops right away and says "shot for the castle". Once down the noise starts. After the play is finsihed on the upper playfield the target pops right back up and the noise stop.

#23 4 years ago
Quoted from Spencer:

I will try playing with it tonight if I get a chance.
I should add to be 100% clear, the target has no issues going down or up, so its not rubbing. When its hit, it drops right away and says "shot for the castle". Once down the noise starts. After the play is finsihed on the upper playfield the target pops right back up and the noise stop.

If you figure this problem out please let me know. Our problems appear to be same The very second the drop target drops the sound starts. The very second it pops up the sound stops. I have adjusted the switch over and over. I contacted jjp a week ago but have not heard back. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

#24 4 years ago

Hey man. The only sound that sounds even remotely like a shotgun blast is the sound of hitting the castle doors which is right above the winkie target. A sensitive switch could cause that sound randomly as it believes the door is hit and it makes sense that it would happen while the target is down as it's the only way to get up to that playfield.

#25 4 years ago
Quoted from Spencer:

I'm not a tech,,, but here's what I would do. Lift the playfield and unplug the circuit...... play the game (no winkie) and see if it happens at all. (take it out of the equation).... If it DOESN'T then you've narrowed it down. If it DOES then you've still narrowed it down.

Just a thought. Curious to see what the solution turns out to be.

#26 4 years ago

Isn't there a decent switch test in the diagnostics to check to see if and how often the switch is closing or not closing when you raise or lower the target? Even the old "traditional" solid state games had switch levels and "edges" tests.

#27 4 years ago

Go into the switch tests, bang on the playfield and look for the castle doors triggering. If they do, you've probably found your culprit.

#28 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

Hey man. The only sound that sounds even remotely like a shotgun blast is the sound of hitting the castle doors which is right above the winkie target. A sensitive switch could cause that sound randomly as it believes the door is hit and it makes sense that it would happen while the target is down as it's the only way to get up to that playfield.

It doesnt sound like a shotgun to me. Its fairly clear we have the same issue though, just describing it differant. Its just more of a clicking noise, over and over again, every 3 seconds or so until the winkie pops back up. Im no expert but I dont think its the doors, seems to be the actual Winkie target from where the noise is coming from. Ill pull the glass tonight and manually engage the target and use a stethoscope ( automotive ) to isolate the exact point where the noise is coming from. Ill update later tonight what ive found.

-Spencer

#29 4 years ago

Just lift the playfield and flip it up then drop the mech. Don't need a stethoscope. There isn't much to that mech.

#30 4 years ago
Quoted from Spencer:

Its just more of a clicking noise, over and over again, every 3 seconds or so until the winkie pops back up.

Loosen the screws holding the switch a small bit, the switch may be over tight.

#31 4 years ago

Or if u have a iPhone or any type of video recording phone device u can post it here and that would help

#32 4 years ago
Quoted from Spencer:

It doesnt sound like a shotgun to me. Its fairly clear we have the same issue though, just describing it differant. Its just more of a clicking noise, over and over again, every 3 seconds or so until the winkie pops back up. Im no expert but I dont think its the doors, seems to be the actual Winkie target from where the noise is coming from. Ill pull the glass tonight and manually engage the target and use a stethoscope ( automotive ) to isolate the exact point where the noise is coming from. Ill update later tonight what ive found.
-Spencer

Yes, I do believe we have the same problem. Maybe not a shotgun blast but certainly more than clicking noise. I don,t believe it is the castle doors either. If you solve this issue please keep me in mind. I have tried everything I know.

#33 4 years ago

It sounds like your Winkie isn't telling your machine when it's down so it keeps firing the solenoid. There should be contacts to tell up from down - check the down contacts with an voltage meter set to ohms. Check the wires going to and from the switch for continuity. Bend the contacts so they make contact when Winkie is down.

#34 4 years ago

Of coarse I went to diaganosis this concern last night and it wouldnt do it...

I will update if it starts again and Im able to isolate the cause.

#35 4 years ago

Well it looks like only me with this problem and apparently no one else , save spencer, has ever had this issue. Let me state the facts again. The very second the Winkie drops the machine starts making a sound, like, bang,bang,bang. It continues with this sound until the Winkie goes up and it stops that very second. I have checked the connections in that area and they seem to be secure. I have worked on the switch several times. I don't believe it is the castle gates. The Winkie sticker is not curling. I contacted jjp nine days ago but have not heard back. I,ve had two or three good suggestions that I am still working on without success. Thanks for the help.

#36 4 years ago

Well it looks like only me with this problem and apparently no one else , save spencer, has ever had this issue. Let me state the facts again. The very second the Winkie drops the machine starts making a sound, like, bang,bang,bang. It continues with this sound until the Winkie goes up and it stops that very second. I have checked the connections in that area and they seem to be secure. I have worked on the switch several times. I don't believe it is the castle gates. The Winkie sticker is not curling. I contacted jjp nine days ago but have not heard back. I,ve had two or three good suggestions that I am still working on without success. Thanks for the help.

It's obviously the winkie reset coil or switch. Something is either preventing the reset or the switch is sticky...take a close look at it and have someone fire it in test mode with the target down.

#37 4 years ago

A video of the problem would really help in the diagnosis here. Any chance you can upload one?

#38 4 years ago

Sounds like the target's not resetting to me, as others have speculated. The mech keeps firing trying to push the target up, but it is getting wedged somehow. You'll have to physically inspect how that target is clearing and set/reset it over and over several times in coil test to see if you can replicate the error.

If switch for drop target closure is closing and registering in test, move to coil test.

You'll want to do this with glass off and be able to lift the playfield to inspect the underside. Near the upper center, so should be pretty easy to see.

Post results.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Advance, NC
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Bensenville, IL
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Minneapolis, MN
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 12.99
$ 156.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
Wanted
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 40.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 50.00
$ 11,500.00
$ 11,500.00
$ 45.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 45.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside