Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by system11
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

bpopr-b03_(resized).jpg
wozpop2_(resized).jpg
wozpop_(resized).jpg

#1 3 years ago

Seems a common problem with this game, I've had it in the house set up since last Thursday, and turned off since then until I can solve this as I'm not a huge fan of metal fragments knocking around the playfield.

The lower pop bumper can impact the crystal ball lane guide, they actually made a new version of this part with a cut section on the crystal ball lane as you can see, but it doesn't address the other problem where the pop ring can impact the front corner of the guide.

I can see three possible solutions, would appreciate feedback on the best to go for.

1) Top right is to cut into the pop ring a bit. Word of advice here getting the tree bracket off is a nightmare due to super-super-super strong thread lock. Worried this will compromise the strength of the ring, it's possible for the pop to come down on the ball just past the position of that hex post. It wouldn't hit the actual cut area but it would be close.

2) Bottom left is to basically copy what JJP did on the middle of the guide and cut a small section out. Concern here is balls coming off the upper pop which will hit the rubber in the bottom left of the image and bounce it straight into the guide. Will dropping the height weaken it sufficiently for the ball to bend it.

3) Bottom right is bending the guide which may make it easier to have the ball to hit the edge head on from certain angles.

I noticed over the weekend the upper pop had something to collide with too - the witch protector bracket corner. Thankfully that one is a no brainer, you can just cut the corner off, theres loads of needless metal there with zero chance of a ball ever hitting it.

wozpop_(resized).jpg

#2 3 years ago

I'd just grind off the metal.

Make sure you then smooth over the edge so it does not nick the balls. File, then sand, then polish to a mirror finish with green compound.

Nothing chews up a playfield faster than a nicked up ball.

#3 3 years ago

Something came to light - grinding the pop ring now, or at least will be when I can find my goggles.

Basically I used some electrical tape to mask off the area required to clear the pop, and it left the top of the rail uncomfortably close to where I could see the ball runs against the rail, sometimes higher than playfield height - presumably riding the pop apron a little.

So I looked at the pop ring instead - of course over time the ball leaves marks on those which means you can see which parts of the ring the ball touches in play. I ended up with the attached image, if I really push the pop out of position as far as it will go, the ball can touch about 1mm from where the cut starts, but thats with the maximum play available (not energised). In normal operation you can see the marks left by the ball, the straight heavy ones with a curl and impact mark. Looks like there's adequate clearance in terms of ball activity / ring mod. The ring now clears the rail by 1mm at both aximum play extents.

I don't like this solution, but it'll have to do for now. I'll take it off again after 20-30 games and double check on the ring wear pattern. It gets a surprising amount of action near the pop exit of all places.

wozpop2_(resized).jpg

#4 3 years ago

Another good trick to prevent ball wear and tear is to polish your pops to mirror finish on a wheel.

Sand out any manufacturing scratches and then buff out.

You only have to do the side that comes in contact with the ball.

Like Kulpa says, "your balls and playfield will thank you"

bpopr-b03_(resized).jpg

#5 3 years ago

Thanks I'll do that - I was actually surprised at the rough finish to begin with on this ring, I gave the edge a very light sand which helped a little but the whole ring was rough feeling around the outer edge including parts which have never touched anything else (back of the pop, behind plastics!).

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
7,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Santa Fe, NM
$ 11,500.00

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside