Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Cyan Comparison.JPG
20131009_225800-972.jpg
no-lights-519.jpg
Woz1.jpg
20131009_225800.jpg
20131009_225735.jpg
There are 76 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 10 years ago

Ok im going to break down and order a kit, it'll be waiting when mine arrives in Nov, I hope lol Edit: ordered!

#52 10 years ago
Quoted from Rferullo:

Is that why when I put a standard 6v LED in there it started to smoke?
I pulled it out right away and it was HOT! I don't think any damage was done but another minute or so and that bulb would have caught fire!
DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME!

You are going to need flasher style 12 volt LEDs for the factory WOZ reflector lights, but I do not know if the LEDs that cointaker and pinballlife sell as 906 type can be on all the time like WOZ is doing:

Here is an example: http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1246

#53 10 years ago

Sure they can be on all the time. I use these for the spotlights: http://pinballbulbs.com/flasher906

#54 10 years ago

Wow did not know about this option. Very nice.

2 weeks later
#55 10 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

I am looking forward to your review, especially in light of your mention of bling/LEDs.

OK, back from Chicago and installed my WOZ light kit. Highly recommended! It does improve lighting a lot, so I can see the flippers and ball much better, in my moderately-lit gameroom. It really makes the game easier and more fun to play because of the improved visibility.

The kit is well thought out, fairly easy to install. Lots of extra slack in the wires. Didn't have to move any switches to feed the spotlight connectors behind them. Seems to be the right amount of additional lighting. The upper spotlights by the pops are a tight fit by the ramp; my tip is remove the spots from the post, screw in the post to replace the nut, then place the spots and screw them down to the post.

The flipper area is well-lit. The mini-pfs light up better--a bit purplish which goes better for the castle. I think a more neutral olor might work better for Munchkinland tho. The back strip is purplish but it goes well with the rear artwork, and the lights behing the flippers are more reddish.

The most important thing is this kit makes the game much more playable. You an even see the ball better when it comes down under Munchkinland onto the upper right flipper. As I've said before, I'm not one for bling but this makes WOZ look and play much better. If you own a WOZ, this is what it really needs. I don't think the stock GI can be brightened enough to light up the key areas, so this kit handles that.

#56 10 years ago
Quoted from Rferullo:

Is that why when I put a standard 6v LED in there it started to smoke?
I pulled it out right away and it was HOT! I don't think any damage was done but another minute or so and that bulb would have caught fire!
DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME!

Thats good to know! Thanks for the post and pics too. I received my kit two weeks ago and now just waiting another two or three weeks to finally receive my game. I'm looking forward to modding it right out of the box.
I had played it before in a dark environment at the Shark Club before (which is how I keep my basement for playing) and found the middle of the playfield to be too dark. Even if JJP brightened up the GI or insert lighting all it would do is make the lights brighter but not really light that center portion of the playfield. Its just the nature of the beast with a widebody. This kit is certainly filling the void to make it better for us who are particular about such issues. And you can turn down your insert brightness too so that its not blinding.

#57 10 years ago

Kinda surprised WOZ is that dark out of the box. Gotta admit though, that STID is so bright it made my already LED'd STNG way darker (seemingly). I installed pinballbulbs STNG kit with everything but the spots. So today, I am experimenting with the two dual spots on the slings. Here's what I did: Didn't like dual spots on each side as one of them kinda blocks the lower playfield. Removed one and tried several different bulbs and decided on a super flex. Looks great and you can use the flex to fine tune the angle.

#58 10 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

The flipper area is well-lit. The mini-pfs light up better--a bit purplish which goes better for the castle. I think a more neutral olor might work better for Munchkinland tho. The back strip is purplish but it goes well with the rear artwork, and the lights behing the flippers are more reddish.

This is why I'm hesitant to buy the kit. I want to light it up so I can play in dim light but I really don't want purple or any other added colors that might change the look considerably. And I want just enough light to play in a dark room but not blinding light.

#59 10 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

This is why I'm hesitant to buy the kit. I want to light it up so I can play in dim light but I really don't want purple or any other added colors that might change the look considerably. And I want just enough light to play in a dark room but not blinding light.

The back strip can be cut off with a pair of scissors and removed before the kit is installed if you don't want the extra bling. The main benefits come from the spotlights and the flipper light strip. The front light strip is slightly reddish but so is the pf in that area. You can line up the light strips where they go and see the effect before installing. The spotlights could have the LEDs replaced if you were set on white. We tape them in but they do pry out and you could try others. We of course think any of these modifications will make the kit look worse but the options are there for you

#60 10 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

Did you see my post about adding starpost LEDs?

#61 10 years ago

I installed mine a few weeks ago and have to say I am really impressed. You can really tell the difference when the game is first turned on and booting up before any other lights are on. I think the only area that still needs work is the right upper playfield. The house can use a spotlight. Great kit, I highly recommend it!

#62 10 years ago
Quoted from BShing:

I installed mine a few weeks ago and have to say I am really impressed. You can really tell the difference when the game is first turned on and booting up before any other lights are on. I think the only area that still needs work is the right upper playfield. The house can use a spotlight. Great kit, I highly recommend it!

The house has a factory spotlight

#63 10 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

The back strip can be cut off with a pair of scissors and removed before the kit is installed if you don't want the extra bling. The main benefits come from the spotlights and the flipper light strip. The front light strip is slightly reddish but so is the pf in that area. You can line up the light strips where they go and see the effect before installing. The spotlights could have the LEDs replaced if you were set on white. We tape them in but they do pry out and you could try others. We of course think any of these modifications will make the kit look worse but the options are there for you

This is all true. The added spotlights just brighten up things generally, even though they are purple. (I bought an extra playfield a while back, so I know the artwork pretty well!) The lights from behind the flippers help a lot, and just seem to bring out the existing color. The rear strip is purplish, but it really fits the artwork color (e.g. witch's castle). Instructions note that you can tape over some of these if you want, for selective lighting. The Emerald City in the top right corner is still bright with the stock white spotlight. The only one I might change is the spot for Munchkinland--I think the colors look better with the stock white bulb. And this 'change' means simply skip the step of replacing the stock bulb with the brighter purple one in the kit.

BTW, this kit isn't blinding at all. It looks like the colors and light placement were tested with a good eye when designing this kit. Good job! The key thing is, it *really* improves playability. And I don't even turn the lights off when I play.

#64 10 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

Did you see my post about adding starpost LEDs?

Yeah, but it didn't look like enough light that the entire machine needs and not sure how well it spreads evenly compared to spotlights. Problem is that pictures really can't show how it looks in person. Anyway, since everyone who bought the pinball bulbs kit seems to love it I just ordered one. If I don't like the purple I can always leave it out.

#65 10 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

Yeah, but it didn't look like enough light that the entire machine needs and not sure how well it spreads evenly compared to spotlights. Problem is that pictures really can't show how it looks in person. Anyway, since everyone who bought the pinball bulbs kit seems to love it I just ordered one. If I don't like the purple I can always leave it out.

Yup, you can always change colors in the spots. I left the original white one in the Munchkinland spot. I might get a brighter white one there someday. The 3 new double spots illuminate the pf pretty evenly. Also, the inserts really dominate the overall color you see.

#66 10 years ago

I just installed this kit today after my dog made a meal of my first spot bulbs. (Maybe that's why they're called "Spot"? ) It does have a VERY slightly purplish tinge, but not enough to make me vomit, and as promised it brings out the colors of the PF. I'm really happy with it, and just played a kick ass game in the dark for the first time (which offset my 7000 score last night!). And when I install my emerald mirror blades next week, that should reflect even more light back into the box. Nice job overall--but I agree, I may have to put the white light back in on the house.

Many thanks to James and Mark for all their help during the dog days. And to Rob F. for offering his help via phone if needed. Great guys all!

#67 10 years ago

Thinking about getting these for the option of playing without lights on.....otherwise, I don't really need it but I like the "purplish" tinge on all my pins and with the positive reviews it sounds pretty good.......

1 week later
#68 10 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

and I do want you to know I'm not hating on your pin, I just really like the vibrancy of the playfield art and think the blue/purple kills a lot of it.

It is all a matter of personal preference I guess. I have found that purple spot LEDs with blue, green, or purple playfield areas under them look great. However, purple LED spots do IMO make red/orange on a playfield look a little washed out/less vibrant. In cases where the playfield under the spot have a lot of red or orange in them I go with either red or warm white. Either way you can use their kit and change the spot colors out for your own color(s) of preference.

#69 10 years ago

I installed the kit but did not replace the stock bulbs with the brighter purple bulbs yet in the two factory spots they say to switch. I plan on removing the lighting strip above the backboard because I don't like how it reflects on the upper playfield and ramp. It lights the playfield pretty well and the stars on the mirrored backglass reflect onto the back box and creates a star field that is pretty cool. The only thing is the wires are a bit long and a jumbled mess in the cabinet but I haven't bothered to zip tie and clean it up yet.

#70 10 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

I installed the kit but did not replace the stock bulbs with the brighter purple bulbs yet in the two factory spots they say to switch. I plan on removing the lighting strip above the backboard because I don't like how it reflects on the upper playfield and ramp. It lights the playfield pretty well and the stars on the mirrored backglass reflect onto the back box and creates a star field that is pretty cool. The only thing is the wires are a bit long and a jumbled mess in the cabinet but I haven't bothered to zip tie and clean it up yet.

To properly remove the back light strip, power off the machine and simply cut the wires to it away. But make sure you only cut the wires to that strip. Also, don't do it when powered on or you will short the 12v. Alternatively, you can put black tape over the LEDs that are reflecting leaving the others. Out of curiosity, did you mount the rear strip to the wood on the back board or to the plastic glass channel?

#71 10 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

To properly remove the back light strip, power off the machine and simply cut the wires to it away. But make sure you only cut the wires to that strip. Also, don't do it when powered on or you will short the 12v. Alternatively, you can put black tape over the LEDs that are reflecting leaving the others. Out of curiosity, did you mount the rear strip to the wood on the back board or to the plastic glass channel?

Funny you should ask. This kit took me 2 hours to install. One hour to actually install the kit and one hour to decide whether to mount the rear strip to the underside of the wood above the back board or to the underside of the plastic glass channel. I went with the wood. I am 6'6" and I think either decision had me looking at a nasty reflection. I will probably start by experimenting with taping off various lights. But Overall, I used to play in a well lighted room. Now, with this kit I only play with dim lighting. I mean, playing in the dark and being able to see the ball makes this game look amazing.

#72 10 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

I ran the playfield wires around/thru the playfield wire bundles as much as possible, so they all run to the left rear corner of the playfield. (closest to the shaker motor area when the playfield is up.) The rear light strip wires run down the rear corner of the ab and then forward. All the excess wire just sits to the left of the cpu box. It is easy to just cover some rear LEDs with black tape to get rid of reflections.

I like the purple on the castle spotlight, but think the stock white looks better on the munchkinland playfield. I may get a brighter bulb for this spot. And I agree, the lights in general (esp. lower pf and behind the flippers) make the game MUCH more playable!

#73 10 years ago

Just ordered a kit. Looks like a must have. I've gotten used to the darker play field but, I like light.

#74 10 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

We also should've included a few zip ties in the kit as well. The thinking was that longer would be better so folks could wrap and route the wires in any way they chose. Then, if you hav ea lot of extra just fold it up and zip tie in a bundle to tuck it away neatly.

As a general thing, cool white 906 flashers could be ordered separately if you wanted to try those in the spots as well. 2 purples will come in all kits, but extras can be ordered. Just note they are 906 flasher bulbs since they go into the 12v spots. Personally I think white is brighter, but can really wash things out as well, so it is just a personal choice. The good news is though they can be changed out. The 6v spots can also be changed out, which come with purple to a cool white, warm white or any color really. I'd suggest trying cool white first though, since other colors would really wash it out. I've seen one with blue spots in it and that was horrible, but it just comes down to trying a few other colors if the purple glow is not to your personal taste

#75 10 years ago
Quoted from PinballBulbs:

We also should've included a few zip ties in the kit as well. The thinking was that longer would be better so folks could wrap and route the wires in any way they chose. Then, if you hav ea lot of extra just fold it up and zip tie in a bundle to tuck it away neatly.
As a general thing, cool white 906 flashers could be ordered separately if you wanted to try those in the spots as well. 2 purples will come in all kits, but extras can be ordered. Just note they are 906 flasher bulbs since they go into the 12v spots. Personally I think white is brighter, but can really wash things out as well, so it is just a personal choice. The good news is though they can be changed out. The 6v spots can also be changed out, which come with purple to a cool white, warm white or any color really. I'd suggest trying cool white first though, since other colors would really wash it out. I've seen one with blue spots in it and that was horrible, but it just comes down to trying a few other colors if the purple glow is not to your personal taste

There were a few small zipties in my kit: 3 for the spotlight posts plus a few extra. Wrapping wires around/thru existing bundles works well.

I would suggest replacing the 2nd purple flasher bulb in the kit with a white one. The purple looks good for the castle, but the house needs white so the colors show up better. Wish I knew this before I ordered! Silly to pay shipping for just a single bulb tho.

#76 10 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

I would suggest replacing the 2nd purple flasher bulb in the kit with a white one. The purple looks good for the castle, but the house needs white so the colors show up better. Wish I knew this before I ordered! Silly to pay shipping for just a single bulb tho.

Good info, thx Steven, getting ready to drop my order in!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Stephenson, VA
$ 85.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 5.00
$ 225.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 16.95
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

13,000 (OBO)
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 345.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

11,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Spokane Valley, WA
$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

There are 76 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/woz-lighting-ket-awesome/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.