Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by Pinballomatic
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 3 days ago

I'm having some serious lighting issues with my WoZ and hoping someone can help me. Maybe ltg or hogbog might be able lend a hand. The game was purchased December of 2015, so I'm pretty sure it has the 7.5v light boards.

I'm having issues with the GI and with the lights going crazy for no reason.

Here are the GI Issues when setting the game in LED test and choosing White for the color. All other colors work correctly.

LED # - Name - Color when set to White

36 - Throne Room GI - Flashes Blue
41 - Right Sling GI - Bluish / White
42 - Right Return GI - Blue, but very dim
58 - Left Sling GI - Pink
64 - Left Return Low GI - Pink
123 - Right Orbit High GI - Blue
124 - Right Orbit Low GI - Blue
126 - Under Munchkinland Low GI - Blue
Throne Room LED - Doesn't work / extremely Dim

This is what happens when the LEDs go crazy for no reason. Wiggling some connections (around #41 / #42) seems to resolve the issue for a short time. I can't pin down if it's 41 or 42 because the wires are so close together.

Both 41 and 42 are having issues when set to White, so I'm wondering if I should replace both of them and start there?

#2 3 days ago

Same thing happened to me. Sometimes really bad other times not so much. Getting new 2.0 light boards because this game is a keeper.

#3 3 days ago

I probably have at least 10 similar videos I've taken when I had these issues, and like you wiggling connectors usually made it stop for a while. I also had some success changing individual boards (always the small GI ones near the flippers and slings), reflowing the solder on them, etc. but the problem just kept coming back so I did the 2.0 conversion. For troubleshooting your issue go into individual LED test when the flickering is going on and progress through until you find the first board that causes it then bypass that board with the game off and disable it in settings and see if the problem goes away. If it does either that board or cable is bad, if not put it back in and bypass the board before that one, if it still doesn't work try the one after it in the string.

#4 2 days ago

I'm pretty sure mine is considered 2.0 since it was a later run, but I'm not 100%. Is there any way to tell?

Quoted from bobukcat:

For troubleshooting your issue go into individual LED test when the flickering is going on and progress through until you find the first board that causes it

I tried that awhile back and it was the right slingshot. Is it possible that it's just one board causing the issues with the GI?

How do I find out if my boards are 5v or 7.5v?

#5 2 days ago
Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

I'm pretty sure mine is considered 2.0 since it was a later run, but I'm not 100%. Is there any way to tell?

I tried that awhile back and it was the right slingshot. Is it possible that it's just one board causing the issues with the GI?

Based on your video alone I would bet $$ you are not on 2.0 boards, the 2.0 system is not serial or daisy-chained if you will and all the boards are connected with Cat-5 cables (they are Ethernet network cables). You probably do have 7.5V boards but you'll need to take a picture of one to see if they are buffered or unbuffered though if you buy a replacement from JJP it will be a buffered board either way.

Yes it is absolutely possible and probable that one bad board or cable is causing the flickering. The issue with the boards that won't display white are probably an issue with each board (the LED or driver no longer produce one or more of the colors necessary to achieve white).

#6 2 days ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Based on your video alone I would bet $$ you are not on 2.0 boards, the 2.0 system is not serial or daisy-chained if you will and all the boards are connected with Cat-5 cables (they are Ethernet network cables). You probably do have 7.5V boards but you'll need to take a picture of one to see if they are buffered or unbuffered though if you buy a replacement from JJP it will be a buffered board either way.
Yes it is absolutely possible and probable that one bad board or cable is causing the flickering. The issue with the boards that won't display white are probably an issue with each board (the LED or driver no longer produce one or more of the colors necessary to achieve white).

Thanks. I'll start with one of the GI boards and see what happens.

This machine has been nothing but trouble. It's the least reliable game I own which includes a few Stern machines with 12,000+ plays on them.

Anyway, I'll report back if I figure anything out.

#7 2 days ago

Thanks. I'll start with one of the GI boards and see what happens.
This machine has been nothing but trouble. It's the least reliable game I own which includes a few Stern machines with 12,000+ plays on them.
Anyway, I'll report back if I figure anything out.

The 2.0 system will solve a lot of that.

#8 2 days ago

Put a meter on the power connector to and LED board. Is it 5 VDC or 7.5 VDC ?

LTG : )

#9 2 days ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Based on your video alone I would bet $$ you are not on 2.0 boards,

Easy to check. Page C-54 in the manual shows the LED board layout for 5 or 7.5 systems.

Page E-24 shows 2.0 and bag and hub board layouts.

LTG : )

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
11,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
West Des Moines, IA
7,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Pittsburgh, PA
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pin Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside