Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by wtatumjr
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

I had another issue with the castle gate which I fixed but before that I had a sound issue. every once in a while, the sound like the voices and sound fx went really really quiet while the music was still at the same level. kinda sounded like when you first put the audio jack on like a chirp then quiet or chirp then loud.
- I tried bending down the audio jack connections on the sound bar to make sure they were tight.
- I went into and around the metal box and jiggled any and all wires surrounding the audio cables to try to reproduce the chirp without success.
it seems to come and go.

the lighting issue happened about a week after I fixed the gate issue.
but it also comes and goes. either 3/4 of the lights are off all together or all the lights are one and they flash RGB (White) on every led. the latter actually just happened today, I opened the table and tapped on the metal box containing the bulk of the hardware and was able to reproduce the RGB white light I described. Soon after I took the cover off everything turned back to normal.
- I once again tried wiggling any and all connections to try to isolate the loose connections or discovery a shorted lead or something.
- I looked over ever pcb, fuse etc. nothing burned, all fuses looked fine
- i put all the wires back inside and put the lid back on making sure all wires were not getting pinched.
one time when I moved the table back into position the 3/4 light went out but I moved it a little more and they were back on. but like I said I tugged on almost every wire and failed to get it to reproduce the issue.

and everything is working... at least for now.
it's a little difficult to troubleshoot things that aren't broken broken.
I had 2 golden tees that kept freezing at least once every other day or daily. took 4 weeks to figure that one out. if I can get help to zero in on what might be affecting my woz I would greatly appreciate it.

thank you

#2 8 years ago

after searching the forums for a bit I believe I'm having the issue with board 15 as per the led's. I'm not 100% but I'm pretty sure based on the other guys picture it looked pretty similar to mine. I only had the machine for 3 months maybe so if I needed a replacment is it covered?
75th #821
going to double check tomorrow

still not sure one the audio thogh

#3 8 years ago

Contact JJP directly. They will sort you out.

#4 8 years ago
Quoted from hocuslocus:

still not sure one the audio thogh

The audio is all about the cables going into the board inside the metal box. With the lid off, reseat the two audio cables. I can get a pic in the morning, but they're easy to spot. One of the jacks may be flakey, but I find every time I reseat them I get another 3-4 months of play before another jiggle is required.

#5 8 years ago

ok I'm pretty sure your right on the audio I was messing with those cables yesterday. it hasn't seemed to return. thinking about buying new rca's altogether. the ones they have in there wouldn't be my first choice. usually crimping the ends a little bit helps enough so they stay on strong but not always.

#6 8 years ago

I am having the identical problem described on my 75th Anniversary edition. This is a quality control issue. I will try reseating the audio cables tomorrow. Are you guys also getting some video jittery - green lines on the videos?

#7 8 years ago

no, glad to say I'm not having video issues (knock knock). I know they shipped a spare board 15 with the table. guess there was a pretty high chance of it messing up.
I recently just purchased, waited and then received my first machine in Aug last year. MMR limited edition, then I purchased the WOZ 6 months later then a GOT LE a week later. I've only had the last 2 for about 3 months but since they are on location they are used a lot and on 24/7. The only machine that has been working perfectly is the Game of thrones. I'm assuming thats because sterns factory has gotten pretty good with QA. The MMR went without any big issues for 6 months. it was assembled at stern.

Im sure JJP will get there with this one or the next.

#8 8 years ago

I've been wanted to purchase a WOZ, now I'm feeling a little nervous. Are these things prone to a lot of issues?

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from craigj:

I've been wanted to purchase a WOZ, now I'm feeling a little nervous. Are these things prone to a lot of issues?

No more than any other machine. There were some early issues with light boards, but those have been straighten out. I have had my machine for 2.5 years. It has gone to mgc twice, mad rollin twice, Texas pinball festival and multiple league events. I have not had a single issue besides having to adjust a leaf switch.

#10 8 years ago
Quoted from KingPinGames:

No more than any other machine. There were some early issues with light boards, but those have been straighten out. I have had my machine for 2.5 years. It has gone to mgc twice, mad rollin twice, Texas pinball festival and multiple league events. I have not had a single issue besides having to adjust a leaf switch.

Good to know. Yours played really well at MGC.

2 weeks later
#11 7 years ago

I last posted 20 days ago and...

I was about to start running ventilation at an establishment, till I noticed the WOZ was blinking white in certain areas again for the third time. So far I had taken board 5 and board 20 out of the loop and everything seemed fine. Then I took board 21 out of the loop. went ahead and called tech support to verify. I would have to say the guy they have working there knows what he is doing. he ran me through a couple of things and I went ahead and ordered extra boards and cables on top of the warrantied boards in case this happens again.

Did some LED tests turned them all white I was stunned at how many bad connection/ faulty boards there were. 6 boards were blue, red or some mix of colors. Some I was able to move the cable a bit and the lights came on while others I was able to verify were bad by swapping with another. the power connection for the led boards, I've replaced snap connectors. since one time I was pushing it in and one came out. barely tugged on another one, just testing them and another came out.

I started to put the table back in and the monkey door kept opening over and over. it was like after a certain point something got touched or pulled, which cased a the line to hit ground. after ripping the castle off, I found that the door switch was barely hanging on. I barely tugged on it and it came loose. Re-soldered it thinking that might of been the issue and no. traced the wire all the way to the computer box and nothing. pushed the game back in and all the sudden the monkey door stopped flying open. I even retraced and carefully inspected the whole line and still couldn't find the issue.

Starting hitting target's in gameplay to verify everything was working and noticed one of the rainbow targets not doing anything. the solder connection came loose. I've seen a lot of things, but I've never seen this happen before at least not if the connection was solid in the first place.

The other thing I'm still battling with is the sound issue. sometimes it sounds like it pops or the music and/or voices get really quiet. I have a good idea what I'm going to do, just haven't had a chance to do it.

I have the parts on order and am hoping that all the major issues are solved, more or less. I'm just happy its still playable.

Other then all that, there were a couple of things I had to fix but expected things like one of the wires not being bent correctly, a ball getting caught, fuse blowing and the castle door getting stuck open. Just seems like a lot of stuff for the game only being 3 months old. I have 2 other pinball machines and they don't have a fraction of the issues. I think that's pinball machines in general though. some obviously are put together better then others, but they are all put together by people and people aren't perfect. I like my machine, if you would of told me that all this stuff would of gone wrong with the machine before I bought it. I would of probably still gotten it. That being said, this experience will definitely weigh into my decision of the next pin I get.

#12 7 years ago

For sound issues make sure the RCA cables are attached firmly at the rear of the big silver box both inside and outside the box. Also make sure the usb cables are attached at the back of the box to the right of the RCA cables. I still had problems with channels dropping out so I took a pull tie and snugged the RCA cables together- not too tight but just a bit of tension. I did the same with the USB cables. So far I've had no more sound problems.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 85.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 345.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

11,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Spokane Valley, WA
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 5.00
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 9,800.00
Pinball Machine
Pixels Arcade Games

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Stephenson, VA
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 24.50
$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

9,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Santa Maria, CA
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/woz-lighting-and-sound-issues and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.