Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 56 days ago by pinstyle
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20190322_222326 (resized).jpg
20190322_222315 (resized).jpg

#1 58 days ago

I think I have traced what I initially thought was a bad board problem down to funky connections in the harness. Near the rear of the playfield there is a bundle of what looks like fancy plastic connectors. Every time they jiggle the slightest bit it messes up the lighting. There are two black ones and four orange ones in the group. The problem seems to be with one or both of the black ones. Are these power supply wires? Do the connectors connect all of the wires together or are they isolated into pairs inside the connector? Should I replace them with the same thing or is there something better?

20190322_222315 (resized).jpg20190322_222326 (resized).jpg
#2 58 days ago

Morning bump

#3 58 days ago

I believe those are test ports for the factory. The more likely problem you are having is that the bundle of wires in that area is tugging a little on one of the light board wires and causing a flaky connection.

#4 58 days ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

I believe those are test ports for the factory. The more likely problem you are having is that the bundle of wires in that area is tugging a little on one of the light board wires and causing a flaky connection.

Thank you. Definitely not a tugging on something else issue. I was super careful not to move anything else while gently tapping each port with a finger. Just a gentle, isolated tweak to each black port makes big groups of lights go nuts.

If these are indeed test ports and not just fancy wire nuts I guess I'll have to place a call to JJP for the proper replacement parts.

#5 58 days ago

The WOZ system is very dependent on good connections. If you have lights but maybe the wrong color or just whitish lights it's probably a connection and not a need for any new parts. Try a few added zip ties added and your problem might go away if you are lucky. Otherwise, get a diagram of the lighting chain and figure out everything is good to "X" and everything is bad after. This will locate the problem and you can probably just reseat a connection

#6 58 days ago

They are just for the power and ground connections - are you getting solid steady voltage at your led boards?

#7 58 days ago

Those clear connectors in your picture are just a push in quick connect. Kind of crappy if you ask me but they do the job. If you suspect there is a bad connection in there somewhere you can eliminate them entirely with wire nuts. If you tug on a wire and it comes right out of the connector the connector is no good. I don't believe they are isolated connections but do a continuity test just to make sure if you decide to eliminate them.

I should add don't go tugging on wires with it powered up.

#8 57 days ago
Quoted from pinheadpierre:

I think I have traced what I initially thought was a bad board problem down to funky connections in the harness. Near the rear of the playfield there is a bundle of what looks like fancy plastic connectors. Every time they jiggle the slightest bit it messes up the lighting. There are two black ones and four orange ones in the group. The problem seems to be with one or both of the black ones. Are these power supply wires? Do the connectors connect all of the wires together or are they isolated into pairs inside the connector? Should I replace them with the same thing or is there something better?
[quoted image][quoted image]

Those are called Wall nuts. They're quick connectors for wires. I don't remember seeing these on the WoZ ECLE here, but basically you just have one or more with a loose wire. Replace the wall nut or push the wire in more firmly so it makes a better connection.

#9 57 days ago

Thanks everyone - I'll check voltage at some light boards and look into replacing these connectors if need be tomorrow. I really appreciate all of the guidance here.

#10 57 days ago

I did not bother reading voltage at the light boards because when I tugged on each individual wire at the wall nuts (THANK YOU vireland and pinstyle for teaching me what those are - I'd never seen wall nuts before), I found three nuts with loose wires. The wires would not go back into their wall nuts securely so I clipped all the wires free of each nut (only doing one group at a time, of course), twisted each group back together and put a traditional twist nut on. Viola! Problem solved! No more crazy lights / random loss of big groups of lights.

For anyone experiencing light issues with their WOZ, I highly recommend checking these connections. Reading up on wall nuts on numerous electrician forums, most electricians frown upon use of this type of connector for stranded wire - too much flex/compression to get a firm, reliable connection every time.

Thanks again to everyone for the help!

#11 56 days ago

Glad you got it sorted out.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Advance, NC
$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 11,500.00
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 8,500.00
Pinball Machine
PinballSTAR Amusements
$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 50.00
$ 40.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 42.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 399.95
Machine - For Sale
Imperial, MO
$ 120.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 45.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside