(Topic ID: 152038)

WOZ light boards: did all ECLE's have issues?

By BillySastard

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 27 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by GRB1959
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

P1000536 (resized).JPG
P1000534 (resized).JPG
#1 8 years ago

I have a line on a nice HUO ECLE. I'd be the third owner and the current owner said he hasn't had any light board problems. He doesn't think the original owner had to switch out any boards either because he only owned it for a very short time and he never said anything to the current owner.

So did all ECLE's have light board issues, or were they hit and miss? This pin is obviously out of warranty so if one went out I'd be footing the bill for it. I'm guessing they're not cheap.

The other thing that scares me about buying it is the three hour ride in the back of my pickup. Three hours of the finest winter roads that northern Indiana and Illinois have to offer.

#2 8 years ago

Others will be able to give a more specific date but I believe the new 7.5v light boards were in games either September 2013 or October 2013 and going forward. My ECLE is from Oct 2013 and has the 7.5v boards.

What is the build date on the back of the game? That will help determine if it has the newer light boards. Based on hearing feedback from other early WOZ owners I would think the game would have had a light board problem long ago if it still had the older boards in it.

#3 8 years ago

I haven't had any light board issues - Aug '13.

#4 8 years ago
Quoted from wtatumjr:

I haven't had any light board issues - Aug '13.

Yeah the cut over to the newer boards must have occurred earlier then I thought then. On games that had the older boards it seems like they were going out fairly often.

#5 8 years ago

I'm sorry - Aug 20th 2014...not 2013. I've had other problems but JJP addressed them promptly and quite fairly even if a little out of warranty so I'd expect the same of the light boards

#6 8 years ago

My build was Dec 2013, and I am currently having a light board issues (at first thought it was just 5.05 issues but apparently not) Had to contact support this morning, but from everything I've heard, they will take great care of me.

#7 8 years ago

June 2014, I have replaced three boards I think up to this date. I would say I am probably in the normal (possible)failure rate within that first year. Overall I haven't really had any major issues.

#8 8 years ago

I have the 7.5v boards and haven't had any issues. Not sure of the build date as I'm not near the machine but was not an early game.

#9 8 years ago

I've got a very early edition; 5/13. It came with all 5v boards. I had to replace 2, maybe three, with the newer 7.5v boards within the first year. The last one was replaced in 12/13. All the remaining 5v boards are holding up just fine. So far. Knock on wood.......

#10 8 years ago

I had some issues with the connector wires between light boards early on where I needed to replace two connectors. The biggest thing is that when on thing goes out everything downstream does as well. It is quite easy to fix things though. Since then in the last two years the only problems I have had are two broken rubbers.

#11 8 years ago

I'm waiting to hear back on build date.

Is there anyone out there that has had a light board failure after the pins warranty? Did JJP make you pay for replacements? If so how much were they?

#12 8 years ago

Mine was built 03/23/14 I have had no issues at all light boards or anything else.

#13 8 years ago

The most recent board I had replaced was done under warranty. Though, they gave me a hard time about it. I was told mine was out of the warranty period though I do recall Jack extending the warranty on light boards another year. When I had mention that, I was told that was not true. So, take it for what it is worth. In the end they did warranty the light board but I'm more than certain that is the last one they will replace for me.

A single led was $35 I think?

#14 8 years ago

Duplicate

#15 8 years ago

4/14 no issues.

#16 8 years ago
Quoted from pinstyle:

A single led was $35 I think?

I've replaced 2 GI LED Boards (7/2014 and 12/2014), the invoice says they are $12.99, but both of mine were replaced for free and I just had to pay to ship the old ones back. My game was delivered 2/2014.

According to the manual the single GI boards made from 9/2013 to 3/2014 are different than after 3/1/14 so I think I needed a couple of the "after 3/1/14" boards to make my game rock solid. No board issues since 12/2014.

#17 8 years ago

I had an earlier 5v game. Now with its third owner and still no light board issues.

#19 8 years ago

All 5V boards in mine with zero issues.

Dave

#20 8 years ago

My WOZECLE has a build date of 10/24/2013 and has the upgraded 7.5 volt LED light boards. My 7.5 volt LED light boards do not have the daughterboard enhancement board. I have not had any LED light board issues on my game.

I haven't had any playfield issues with my WOZECLE (chipping clear coat or lifting artwork). As I understand it some of the earlier Bader playfields had issues with the paint adhering properly to the wood playfield which was later corrected on the playfield production line after this was discovered.

Based on this just because a game has a Bader playfield doesn't necessarily mean that game will have a playfield problem. I have no idea of the dates for the early playfield manufacturing process when this issue was corrected. I haven't heard of the Mirco playfields having this issue.

Hopefully others will chime in with their build dates and what else to look for and their experiences with WOZECLE.

Gord

#21 8 years ago
#22 8 years ago

Pinside burp

#23 8 years ago

Mine was built in August 2015.. No issues.

#24 8 years ago

I have the 7.5 volt boards (came without buffer boards) Only have an issue in the winter. We have a hot air system. It appears that the dryer it is more static charges in the air and more likely that boards will freeze color wise while playing. Sometimes it will fix itself during a game otherwise a reboot is needed. I have replaced several boards with the newer boards with buffer but still have issues when the heat is blasting.
No issues at all during the warmer months, and have not had a board fail altogether.

2 years later
#25 5 years ago

Zombie thread alert!

How does one identify which light board set they have?

#26 5 years ago

They either have 5v or 7.5v the later ones

Some are 1.4version

#27 5 years ago
Quoted from jfesler:

Zombie thread alert!
How does one identify which light board set they have?

The version number is printed on each WOZ light board PCB. My WOZECLE has a manufacturing date of 10/24/2013 and photos of a couple of the light boards are shown below.

Gord

P1000534 (resized).JPGP1000534 (resized).JPG
P1000536 (resized).JPGP1000536 (resized).JPG

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 29.99
Hardware
Classic Game Rooms

$ 24.50
Machine - For Sale
St. Clair Shores, MI
13,000 (OBO)
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Led
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 85.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Stephenson, VA
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 225.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/woz-light-boards-did-all-ecles-have-issues and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.