• 15 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Geremy13
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

WOZ left flipper question........

Have a question and need some help. My WOZ left flipper has a problem springing back into it's original position. Kinda like the spring won't bring it back to the original position.

I am new,,, but I am somewhat mechanically inclined..... so I pulled the glass... lifted the playfield and looked for 'binding' in any area of the flipper underneath. Could not see anything that could cause an issue. Compared with the right flipper that moves without any obstruction at all. Still a little puzzled. Spring has no issue;... my son and I agreed that it must be a solenoid issue..... H.mmmmmm... doesn't seem to make sense. Can't see how the solenoid would cause a bind.... but I have seen more that I don't understand.

So asking for everybody's help.

What do you think?

#2 9 years ago

Does it have up and down play if you lift it and drop it, like the other side ?

Coil sleeve in it okay ?

Then remove the plunger assembly and see if it is binding where the pawl/plastic/plunger join.

Forget solenoid.

LTG : )™

#3 9 years ago

LTG ,,

I thank you for your reply and help.

I am old school,,, so solenoid= coil to me. But yes, the right side lifts and drops as it should ,,, the left side lifts but does NOT drop to it's original position.... We have checked everything out from underneath and it all looks good. The 'coil' seems to be the issue that I would check... but doesn't seem to make sense to me. Yes, I can remove the entire assembly and see if the coil sleeve is an issue (which seems like it might be).... but I would hope not. Don't really want to have to remove this all to find out. But if it is,,,,, then it is..........

Thank you............

Not really want I wanted to hear,,, but the same thing my son said.

#4 9 years ago
Quoted from Geremy13:

Yes, I can remove the entire assembly and see if the coil sleeve is an issue

Two allen head hex screws hold the coil stop on, remove them, then the coil, then inspect. Start simple.

#5 9 years ago

I had a similar issue with my upper right flipper when all of a sudden it wouldn't spring back like it should, but was very loose and moved fine by hand. I looked at it and couldn't figure it out until I noticed the return spring seemed longer than it should be and didn't have the strength to pull it back. Very weird as I couldn't figure out how that could happen to a spring.

So, I borrowed a spring from another game and installed it in WOZ and seemed to be just fine. Then I played a game and it seemed fine at first and then same thing again. Spring was too long and I thought I was losing my mind at how that could happen. Taking a closer look and using another spring I noticed looking at it in test there was a tiny amount of sparking on the leg that triggers the EOS switch when it closed.

Hmm. A little more pondering and I noticed the black rubber cover on the tip of that leg had worn through and was shorting out and super heating the flipper return spring and "springing" it so it lost it's strength. Used some black tape on that leg until I got a more perm fix and it was fine after that.

I have no idea if this is common or normal, it was my first experience. I haven't done all that much work on my games - that's what I have my brother for. lol

#6 9 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Two allen head hex screws hold the coil stop on, remove them, then the coil, then inspect. Start simple.

Thank you so much,

I will do as such........

#7 9 years ago

The bolt in the link came loose on mine and caused the same issue.

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from Imeh:

The bolt in the link came loose on mine and caused the same issue.

I am going to look into this. Funny thing is, after this issue came up, my son helped me lift the playfield, we inspected, concluded that it had to be the coil...... thought about it, and figured it had to be a heat issue after some play time. But since putting the playfield back down.... I haven't had the problem since.

Go Figure?!.......

#9 9 years ago

Now, not so funny anymore.... It kinda fixed itself for a bit, but now it is quite distracting and not working... so I have to fix it tonight.

I thought it might have been heat related after a few games but it's doing it right off the bat tonight and we haven't finished a game yet. It's the weekend so I really want to enjoy the game. I will now concentrate on this post and read it again, and pay attention. I appreciate everyone's help. It is what keeps me going.

Will play a few games (crippled)... and then get started on it. Hmmm...... hopefully it's just a bracket or screw tightened a bit. It looks like a little bit of work to remove the coil for inspection.. but if that's what needs done then so be it...........

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from Geremy13:

It looks like a little bit of work to remove the coil for inspection..

Power off. Remove two 5/32nds allen head screws, coil stop comes off. Slide coil off and let hang by wires.

I don't know your skill level or anything. If this may be a bit much for you. Perhaps a local collector can come over and give you some hands on help.

That could go a long way towards making you more familiar with your game.

#11 9 years ago

This happened to the WOZ at the arcade the other night and I thought it was a spring issue also since it seemed like it would work, then get stuck up, then work again. Talked to the owner the next day and he said the flipper cracked where the shaft meets the bat. Not sure if this is the problem in your case but worth looking into. You can't see the crack in the bat with the red slipper over it.

#12 9 years ago

LTG, and all of you............ I don't know who you are, but you are all extremely helpful....

And I cannot tell you how much I appreciate it. .. I truly appreciate how I can turn to this forum and get answers from folks that I don't even know, but somehow they care to help us in the pinball world...... .....

It really means a lot to me. I am very thankful. I feel like my wife should be writing this because she is the most compassionate most caring person I know.....

Where normally I don't give a sh*t...

But I needed to take the time to share my appreciation. I will fix this with your help and advice. thanks...

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from pinballkim:

the flipper cracked where the shaft meets the bat.

Quoted from pinballkim:

You can't see the crack in the bat with the red slipper over it.

Very good!...... this is something I will check. Weird thing is that is seems to come and go. Just as soon as I posted my goals of fixing this,,, and doing it this evening...

The next game played without almost any issue at all.... (only 2 games tonight mind you.....).. but quite the puzzle........

#14 9 years ago

Geremy, there is an LED real close to that flipper. Make sure it's properly aligned. If it's swung out of alignment it can also get in the way of the flipper function sometimes causing it to stick in the up position

#15 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

Geremy, there is an LED real close to that flipper. Make sure it's properly aligned. If it's swung out of alignment it can also get in the way of the flipper function sometimes causing it to stick in the up position

Thank you for the information. I will look into it. On the 'cracked flipper' above post, I had to think about it for a minute, and then I thought, 'Hey' this game is only 3 weeks old and the cracked flipper was from on location at an arcade.... so certainly that's not my problem with only 25 games on it or so..........

So then I had to check the 'audits'. ... Damn!.,, 312 games in only 3 weeks. How did this happen?, After all I have to work all of the time. I must be spending too much time on this most fantastic game, how on earth do I have time to work?........

And then the business sense of me started to kick in. Since this is a most enjoyable game I immediately put the gameplay to $5 per game (this is of no issue for a game of this caliber.)... and then I calculated that this game has just earned: $1,560 dollars in just 3 weeks. Hell this thing will be paid for in less that 3 months... maybe 4 months. NO WAIT!... That's just me playing it!... What if I invited the neighbors or friends to play it as well...... I could pay this thing off in less than a month!......... WOW!, I am in the wrong business!............ This puppy is a Money Maker!.........

well, anyways,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 29.99
Hardware
Classic Game Rooms

Lighting - Led
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 345.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 85.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

9,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Santa Maria, CA
11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Burlingame, CA
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 5.00
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 91.00
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 225.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 395.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

13,000 (OBO)
$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/woz-left-flipper-question and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.