IMAG0070.jpg
photo (6).JPG
219091-i.jpg
IMG_0611.JPG
IMG_0604.JPG
get-attachment.aspx1.jpg
get-attachment.aspx.jpg
Screen Shot 2014-03-18 at 7.23.08 PM.png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider taylorva.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4 10 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

Test it in Taylor's game. He's been reasonable about it and would be a good candidate.

I'm really looking forward to seeing what the fix is and have my fingers crossed that it works. I am positive there is no one on this planet that wants this problem fixed more than the people at JJP.

#11 10 years ago

Does it address just the locking up of inserts or also the blowing of boards? Mine does both. Yippee.

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

Locking up of LEDs. Would think blowing up of boards as well. Lol

Good lord I hope so.

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

I'm pretty sure you're screwed until you get a new power supply

according to JJP it is not an issue with the power supply. I have added a line conditioner to WOZ to take out any power fluctuations on my end.

#18 10 years ago

Between the wall and game. After installing I still lost 2 boards and had some lockups. I played it last night without issue but then my Monkey mech crapped out and my crystal ball fell off....and yet I still love the game.

#23 10 years ago
Quoted from Skins:

You deserve an award. By far more controlled than myself. Someone get this man a f'ing working game.

It's only pinball.

#31 10 years ago
Quoted from iamabearsfan:

There are "line conditioners" that do not do voltage regulating. That to me is the key for what I was experiencing. This APC model has it. Little more expensive though....
http://www.apc.com/products/family/index.cfm?id=67
I run one of these per two pins.

I got the APC one you pictured.

#32 10 years ago
Quoted from Skins:

It may only be pinball but my anger would be squarely rooted in the cost of said pinball. At $6.5k, there is little margin of error on my end for consumer products I purchase.

I certainly see why some would get angry and there are times that I find it very frustrating but I am pretty certain that JJP is going to get my game 100%. The tech support and promptness that parts have been sent to me have been great and there is really nothing I can do until I see how the "fix" works. At that point my demeanor may change but I have other things going on in the hobby that I don't mind shifting my focus on.

#51 10 years ago

I installed a lie conditioner between the wall and my game about a week ago and it seems to have really helped the game. I haven't lost a board for a week and haven't had any lockups.

#75 10 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

7v board games have still been problematic, see TaylorVA and Pintucky as prime examples. The two most problematic JJP games on the planet.

My game was made with 5v boards and power supply. As of now the line conditioner seems to have helped fix the issue. I have been able to play my game since installing it pretty much issue free.

#78 10 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

I think the machines that were burning through boards had power supply issues. My game had been solid since the new oiwer supply went in.

I asked JJP about it and they said it wasn't the power the supply. With how random it is from game to game it certainly makes sense if it has to do with the power coming out of the outlet not being "clean" enough for the tolerances the boards have.

#82 10 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

I haven't changed anything other then the power supply and everything stabilized. I was blowing 7v boards every game before. I can say that in my game, it was the power supply. I like the power conditioner idea.

Did you swap to 7v boards from 5v boards?

#88 10 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Wow are you serious?? Are you using the regulator linked below your post? How long have you been running without issues? Lights ok too?

Mine is the LE600

Screen Shot 2014-03-18 at 7.23.08 PM.pngScreen Shot 2014-03-18 at 7.23.08 PM.png

I held a tournament on the game the day I installed the regulator. The first couple of games had a LED lock up issue and I lost one board but since then it has had zero LED issues. The lockup issue could have been because the board a board was going bad but I am not sure.

#90 10 years ago
Quoted from tonycip:

Well for the record my new board came and all is well .. played a couple hr's no issues, I may need to make a couple adjustments but that’s about it . the trough vuk sometimes takes a few tries to get the ball out, I upped the power but am wondering if its more of an alignment problem ..and the winged monkey catches the edge of the door at the top.. it should slide in behind it. but I'm glad its working now ya!
also that apc voltage regulator can be had on ebay as well with free shipping 48.48 .
Just bought one for piece of mind, and if I have any more issues with boards at least that will be eliminated as a possible cause.
ebay.com link

what board was sent to you?

#97 10 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Taylor have you had any more issues at all since you installed the regulator and replaced those last 2 light boards?

None. No lockups and no blown boards. Have been playing it for hours.

#102 10 years ago

I think the specific day I added it was on March 7th. I held a charity tourney on the 8th and am pretty sure I had it then. During the tournament I think the LEDs froze once or twice but since then I haven't had any issues. I did have a situation in which the flippers would create a quick flash of the LEDs. I have never seen this before but it was definitely triggered by the flippers. I posted this to the JJP forum, figured it would be good for then to know this is happening. This did not result in a losing any boards or freezing up.

#108 10 years ago
Quoted from kapsreiter:

Sounds not 100%
i am not sure if i should order one

I believe I had a board go bad as well which could have been part of the problem with the freezing.
I am a pretty cheap ass person when it comes to stuff but spending $40 to get a 7k game to work
seemed worth it.

#112 10 years ago
Quoted from RTR:

Dumb question - how can I tell if I have the 5v boards? I haven't lost a board yet, but I haven't played my machine a whole lot either.
The lights have locked up a few times, but were fine after rebooting.

The newest LEDa are all white. The 5v boards had LEDs that had a black base.

#114 10 years ago

Had a lock up tonight so def not 100%. Power cycle seemed to resolve it. Will be interesting to see if it gets more frequent.

#117 10 years ago

Anyone dale have bright flashes when hitting the right flipper button? I've had this happen twice now. Posted to JJP forum but figured I'd ask here as well.

#122 10 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Where are those flashes coming from?

No idea but it didn't happen again the rest of the night.

#125 10 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Like were they from the LEDs? Or flashes from inside the cabinet?

They were the LEDs. I

#128 10 years ago

Was the power supply supplied by JJP?

#131 10 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Where are those flashes coming from?

A video I shot of the LEDs flashing when right flipper activated

#137 10 years ago

I am going to check cables and will report back. It doesn't happen all the time so a loose connector could certainly be causing it. That would make a lot of sense.

A member of our league mentioned seeing bright flashes when playif his WOZ and I had never noticed so started to pay closer attention to it. At times it is almost undiscernable from the other inserts pulsing. It took a couple videos before I could actually capture it.

Quoted from DaveH:

Taylor, this might sound odd, but what "coolness" setting are you running your LEDs at? And have you tried upping it to warmer and resetting it. I'm just making a guess that you are running them at the lowest setting because of the issues you have had and that the interference from the flips might be doing something. Wild guess because when I ran my topper at a lower setting it flickered a lot. So it might be worth running them at a higher setting to see if that changes the circumstance.

I am running it on the "cool" setting. Mostly to reduce the retinal burn I get from LEDS. I did the same to my topper and had the flickering as well so went back to the factory setting.

#139 10 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I'm really hoping this is just a loose connector or a code problem. The other option is engineering mistakes,
If you were close enough Taylor, we could hook up a few scopes and watch all of the power lines during play.

I'm only 6 hrs away.

the connector theory is a good one. I'm going to dig in tonight.

#142 10 years ago

Thanks for the suggestion. It doesn't happen every game and will seemingly correct itself mid ball so I'll just have to be prepared to end a game(easier said than done) early.

#149 10 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

Thanks for the suggestion. It doesn't happen every game and will seemingly correct itself mid ball so I'll just have to be prepared to end a game(easier said than done) early.

Pushed in all connectors on light boards and it seemed to have gotten rid of the flashing.

#152 10 years ago

Try reseating connectors. just the Rainbow inserts lock on?

#156 10 years ago

well I'm still having the f'ing flashing thing. The connector could be anywhere that I can tell including under the upper castle playfield. PITA.

#159 10 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Try tapping on the playfield in various areas and find the loose connector.

I have. I booted up and first game today I had a bunch of really bright lights and then it settled down on its own. During gameplay I didn't have an issue. Holy schmoly do I love me my B/W games. Technology is great but crippling when you don't know how to work on it.

#160 10 years ago
Quoted from Russell:

I just lost my second LED board. Mine has the 5V boards.
Does anyone know how much the 7V LED boards cost? Is it feasible to just replace all 5V boards with 7s? Would that make the game pretty bulletproof?

They will replace them for free. You need to open a ticket through the JJP support website. They will want your games serial number.

3 weeks later
#206 10 years ago
Quoted from musketd:

So they still did not fix the led problem yet? Seems like they better redesign it for the next title maybe

Maybe.

#210 10 years ago

I don't think it is about the boards being 5v. From what I have pieced together there is a problem with some boards failing due to static electricity. I don't know why some boards fail and others don't but my understanding is that JJP will extend the warranty for these board failures.

Ed- If you have been waiting for a board that long I would drop Lloyd a call and email.

I started using this product JJP recommended called Mist-n-shine. It claims to decrease static electricity. Not sure if it was just coincidence but after starting to use this product and using the line conditioner my game has been working.

#212 10 years ago
Quoted from scottc:

Hey Taylor glad its working for you!

thanks. I frankly don't understand why it suddenly started working and wish I had taken the time to see if one worked before trying the rest. The Mist-n-shine anti-static thing was brought up on JJP forum. The other thing that changed was the weather. My game room is super dry in the winter and with the humidity coming back up in the mid-atlantic that could be a factor as well. There were several times when I would walk up to the pin and get a shock.

I am pretty satisfied with the steps that JJP has taken to get this right. I do wish they had taken care of things quicker but I am pretty sure they do as well.

#256 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Realistically? You'll probably get support. But when the CEO of the company comes around here and says you won't because he's trying to stick it to some guy, well ... it gives you pause. Does that mean you get support until someone finds out you're the second owner? Or until it turns out your game is a PITA to support?
We can all hope JJP is reasonable and provides common sense support for their machines, but the direct info straight from Jack is "nope", so who can really say with any certainty?
Now obviously what Jack was trying to do was shut down a grey market dealer. I get that. But it's not at all clear that a second owner of a game from an authorized dealer gets warranty support, I'd love to see an official statement to that effect after the mess that happened here. Alex said that was the case, but Jack also said Alex isn't able to be a spokesman for those statements. So ... welp.
I guess the other question is do you need to see proof that the game you're buying came from an authorized dealer? Check the paper trail?

If you are seriously all that concerned about it why not call JJP and just ask them? Speculating about it on a game you don't own or care to own seems like a waste of time. I would suspect anyone with half a brain would inquire about this before buying the game with the known issues.

#261 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

This is what I find annoying about (some but more than a few) WOZ owners on Pinside. The constant playing of the "you don't own the game so why don't you just be quiet" card. This is a pinball forum, speculating about games is what we do here! It's not like I'm making shit up, Jack came here and said things pretty straight up. I've tried to be fair and honest about what I think would probably happen if you needed support, my guess is it will be there. But the waters are a little muddy.
I've picked up the phone to call Jack before, and it wasn't that hard to get him on the line, but am I gonna do it now? No, you're right, I don't care enough to go through that trouble. I'm sure it will come to light sooner rather than later.
I probably won't own a WOZ, but not because I don't think it's a good game or I'm some kind of hater. As good as it is, there enough issues or things I'm not in love with (the music being a big one, LED technical issues aside) that I just can't see spending the kind of money it commands now, even Standards are $8k. That's too much money to compromise. I'm hoping to play it some more this weekend though, and I'm definitely a potential Hobbit owner if they can really nail it on enough levels to make me swallow the price. So yeah, I'm following JJP, and have my own opinions on the company and how they do business.
WOZ owners should care the most, it's your resale value that's affected, why don't you pick up the phone?

You like to type.

#263 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

This is what I find annoying about (some but more than a few) WOZ owners on Pinside. The constant playing of the "you don't own the game so why don't you just be quiet" card. This is a pinball forum, speculating about games is what we do here!

Me? I don't give a shit what you type, I just don't see why you give a fuck. Seriously? You have no skin in the game and yet here you are speculating about something that could be resolved with a phone call? Do you think owners or prospective owners aren't making the call? Thanks for pointing out that this is something people should think about.
Holy shit…..back to playing pinball.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
St. Clair Shores, MI
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 85.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 24.50
$ 29.99
Hardware
Classic Game Rooms

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Stephenson, VA
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA
Flipper Parts
FlipMods

$ 5.00
$ 345.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Lighting - Led
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider taylorva.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/woz-led-issue-info?tu=taylorva and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.