IMAG0070.jpg
photo (6).JPG
219091-i.jpg
IMG_0611.JPG
IMG_0604.JPG
get-attachment.aspx1.jpg
get-attachment.aspx.jpg
Screen Shot 2014-03-18 at 7.23.08 PM.png
There are 355 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 8.
#201 10 years ago

I guess it was too good to be true

I'm still having LED lockups. If anyone has any advice as to which board it may be let me know.

#202 10 years ago
Quoted from B9:

I guess it was too good to be true
I'm still having LED lockups. If anyone has any advice as to which board it may be let me know.
» YouTube video

It looks like the round insert right behind the arrow insert that leads to the ramp is too bright. That one might be bad.

#203 10 years ago

So they still did not fix the led problem yet? Seems like they better redesign it for the next title maybe

#204 10 years ago
Quoted from musketd:

So they still did not fix the led problem yet? Seems like they better redesign it for the next title maybe

It is more likely that people have some damaged boards that they need to weed out before the problems will be completely resolved. A filter fix is not going to correct an already damaged circuit part.

#205 10 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

I remember talking to someone that had a bright board problem and it turned out that bright one was defective.

That probably would have been me. The #7 on ybr insert (bd W1) was many times brighter than all the other inserts. A new bd took care of that. I hope the issues with the new boards is isolated. Believe it's been said some games need more than one new 7.5 bd.

#206 10 years ago
Quoted from musketd:

Maybe.

#207 10 years ago

This is ashame. They should send you guys having issues ALL new boards for the fix if in fact they have the problem figured out. Not a couple boards....all.

#208 10 years ago

I have been waiting for a board since april 1st - so they must be replacing a lot of them. I wonder if they extend the warranty as my game is sitting there waiting for the new board.

thanks ed

#209 10 years ago
Quoted from scottc:

This is ashame. They should send you guys having issues ALL new boards for the fix if in fact they have the problem figured out. Not a couple boards....all.

Absolutely. Jack keeps saying "We will do whatever it takes." Well put your money where your mouth is and DO WHATEVER IT TAKES. FOR CRAP'S SAKE SEND ALL NEW BOARDS. If you can't, don't write checks your supply chain can't cash. Should've been done the very first instant it was known that all 5v boards are defective.

#210 10 years ago

I don't think it is about the boards being 5v. From what I have pieced together there is a problem with some boards failing due to static electricity. I don't know why some boards fail and others don't but my understanding is that JJP will extend the warranty for these board failures.

Ed- If you have been waiting for a board that long I would drop Lloyd a call and email.

I started using this product JJP recommended called Mist-n-shine. It claims to decrease static electricity. Not sure if it was just coincidence but after starting to use this product and using the line conditioner my game has been working.

#211 10 years ago

Hey Taylor glad its working for you!

#212 10 years ago
Quoted from scottc:

Hey Taylor glad its working for you!

thanks. I frankly don't understand why it suddenly started working and wish I had taken the time to see if one worked before trying the rest. The Mist-n-shine anti-static thing was brought up on JJP forum. The other thing that changed was the weather. My game room is super dry in the winter and with the humidity coming back up in the mid-atlantic that could be a factor as well. There were several times when I would walk up to the pin and get a shock.

I am pretty satisfied with the steps that JJP has taken to get this right. I do wish they had taken care of things quicker but I am pretty sure they do as well.

#213 10 years ago
Quoted from edcianci:

I have been waiting for a board since april 1st - so they must be replacing a lot of them. I wonder if they extend the warranty as my game is sitting there waiting for the new board.
thanks ed

dont wait, email lloyd and make sure they are aware you are waiting.

#214 10 years ago

it has been done - lloyd is always quick to get back to me - on 4/9 Lloyd asked sal to send me one. just hasn't showed up yet. it's frustrating - but others have had more problems then me - this is my only 2nd one to fail - I just wish we all had a spare or two to avoid the wait.

I know a local vendor won't put them on location because he can't take a chance with down time

thanks ed

#215 10 years ago

Guess it was my turn to get in on the board failure train. It's happened to me now. Need to diagnose which board(s) I need and put a ticket in for it soon.

#216 10 years ago

By the way, I do think JJP should send a complete set of spares to affected buyers. I support them fully but it looks like it will be a continued problem.

#217 10 years ago

Not had any problems out of the new 7 volt boards Alex knows his shit

#218 10 years ago
Quoted from rlevin:

Not had any problems out of the new 7 volt boards Alex knows his shit

Thank you Dale

#219 10 years ago

Welcome back!!!!!

#220 10 years ago
Quoted from scottc:

Welcome back!!!!!

Not back. Nothing has changed. So much so that the mods themselves had to create a thread for folks to use with explicit warnings for the usual cavalcade to not interfere with.

#221 10 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

Not back. Nothing has changed.

And yet here you are : )

#222 10 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

And yet here you are : )

To help people like us Hwawonyu, who can't hook up an Ac/dc apron with lighting!

#223 10 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

o help people like us Hwawonyu, who can't hook up an Ac/dc apron with lighting!

Lol, that is me!!!

#224 10 years ago

Well hope all is well Alex....

#225 10 years ago

My WOZ is gone as these issues drove me nuts. Happy JJP is fixing the issues for the new owner

#226 10 years ago

could understand you hank!

i am also tired of swapping boards every view weeks

but no its the first time a swap makes it better

and the game is great

i hope my one is perfect in 1 week

#227 10 years ago

I know jack is personally taking hanks game back to the factory to fix; so hopefully it will be fixed then

#228 10 years ago

Well I would certainly hope so since he sold the game already.

#229 10 years ago

I am sure they want it to be 100% since it is going into knoebels grove where a ton of pinheads go too

#230 10 years ago

Just a quick update, I've requested two additional boards to hopefully solve the issue

I'll provide an update once they arrive and are installed.

#231 10 years ago

I haven't been following this as closely since I sold my game. Is this fix the real deal? If someone were to swap out every single one of their old boards with the new boards, would the game be 100%?

#232 10 years ago

Lost 2 boards this weekend....Second time on 19, I wish for a permanent fix.

#233 10 years ago

has anybody been getting the boards - I am still waiting - here is what I got on 4/9 - I opened my ticket on 3/31 - and sent all the info they needed on 4/2 (game #). below is the last response on 4/9

Hello Ed

I am sorry for the delay. Nothing was shipped until boards were modified or new boards arrived. They have started shipping again, and may be delayed a little as they catch up.

The LED boards #1 thru #31 are all the same, but going forward the new boards going out have the bracket attached. So JJP needs to know the number to have the bracket facing the right way.

Thank you for your help,

I asked again on 4/19 and nobody has gotten back to me - just wondering if others are getting replacements.

thanks ed

#234 10 years ago
Quoted from edcianci:

has anybody been getting the boards - I am still waiting - here is what I got on 4/9 - I opened my ticket on 3/31 - and sent all the info they needed on 4/2 (game #). below is the last response on 4/9
Hello Ed
I am sorry for the delay. Nothing was shipped until boards were modified or new boards arrived. They have started shipping again, and may be delayed a little as they catch up.
The LED boards #1 thru #31 are all the same, but going forward the new boards going out have the bracket attached. So JJP needs to know the number to have the bracket facing the right way.
Thank you for your help,
I asked again on 4/19 and nobody has gotten back to me - just wondering if others are getting replacements.
thanks ed

Yes, my friends got there's yesterday.

#235 10 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Lost 2 boards this weekend....Second time on 19, I wish for a permanent fix.

Wait, are you saying that one of the 'new' boards failed again? They don't actually fix the problem?

#236 10 years ago

Ill have to check the board that failed that was a replacement from a couple month back...
I dont know off hand if this was the 7V or an original 5V that was sent as a replacement...

Ill post later...Both times boards blew, playing the first game after an update....just weird....

Just wondering, if someone else, a third party made replacement boards, are then in violation of
intellectual property?

Couldnt someone simply copy or improve the best of the mini light boards, and offer them for sale?

#237 10 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Couldnt someone simply copy or improve the best of the mini light boards, and offer them for sale?

I would think that since the architecture has changed for Hobbit, the only market for them would be WoZ owners that can't get a replacement through warranty, which is a really low number.

#238 10 years ago

If that is a problem now what happens when people need parts 5 or ten years?

#239 10 years ago

I have had a ton of lock-up and failed board issues since winter hit last year. I recently received two of the new, corrected boards and all was good (for maybe 15 - 20 games) then I did finally get a lock-up a couple days ago Out of the two boards I received, one was DOA, so that was a bit disconcerting. I wonder if the new boards are tested before they are sent out? Anyhow, I have a request for few additional LED GI boards. I went through all of them in test mode and it turns out a handful are missing the BLUE or RED LED drive. And a couple have weak drives that cannot produce a true white color.

#240 10 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I would think that since the architecture has changed for Hobbit, the only market for them would be WoZ owners that can't get a replacement through warranty, which is a really low number.

perhaps the number is a bit more then 2000 users....

Quoted from ek77:If that is a problem now what happens when people need parts 5 or ten years?

My Sentiments exactly.

I am hoping there is a permanent fix, available for this issue.

My view was, even if current owners bought them. Say even $100 or so, JJP Cost as an example,
wouldnt all the time, and tickets, service, opinions change? I wouldnt complain to pay this to solve it..
I could keep all the rest as a full set of spares, and then have the opportunity to buy even more if needed.
I want to keep my game, but fear a good chunk of value will be lost without a permanent fix.

With my apologies, and I mean no disrespect, as I havent been on JJP forum, is there a complete fix that exists...
or is it power supply and all boards? Just some boards?
I am a bit confused, as my game has been down 3 of the 6 months I have owned it.
I love the game, absolutely, but what does happen a year from now, 2 years....?
Am I buying $50 boards 4 times a year?

#241 10 years ago

On the forum, JJP says they are committed to fixing the problem, whatever it takes.

I have the older 5V LED boards. About 5 of the small single LED GI boards have failed. Haven't tried any of the new boards yet. When I get a failure, I bypass the board and then turn it "off" in software until a replacement board arrives. My game hasn't been "down" since I've owned the machine (other than missing GI in a few places). If the failed board is somewhere important (like a TOTO insert, which also uses a single GI board) I borrow a working GI board from some place that won't be missed, like the back of the playfield.

JJP's first attempt at fixing the problem was to use a higher power 5V supply. Next was to go to a 7.5V power supply and 7.5V LED boards. I believe this fixed the problem with the boards failing but introduced the problem of the LED's locking up some times, requiring the power to be cycled.

Not all games have a problem, but one person who had very troublesome game reported that the LEDs still locked up with the new boards, but at a greatly reduced rate (almost every game to once in about 20 games).

JJP says that if a lock-up occurs to note the first board in the chain that is locked up and get a replacement for that board.

Theory being that if there continues to be a problem it will keep working it's way down the chain until it is eventually eliminated.

Disclaimer: This is my understanding of the information that has been flowing from JJP. I reserve the right to be mistaken.

#242 10 years ago

Man, some of you WOZ owners must have really built up your patience muscles waiting for your game, because I can't believe the hoops you're still having to jump through. I hope it just gets fixed soon! With all this noise Jack made about warranties not transferring there's just no way I'd buy a used WOZ now. Which sucks for everyone who owns one legitimately too, because your resale value is being beat on with this.

I really do like the game, I'd like to play it some more, gonna try and put some time in on it at Pinball Land this Saturday, but I just don't think one will ever end up in my garage. Not with Standards being jacked up to freaking $8k now (what happened to $7k, I had a quote at that and it didn't feel like it was that long ago) and used being a giant crapshoot.

#243 10 years ago

I hear you Aurich...it is a sticky issue, until Jack has a permanent fix for all 5V games....
I made an error in my post, 2000 numbered sold, approx maybe, 1200 or so might have 5V boards...just a guess.

Imagine if I cant sell my game if I wanted, because no boards are available to fix....Yikes!

#244 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Man, some of you WOZ owners must have really built up your patience muscles waiting for your game, because I can't believe the hoops you're still having to jump through. I hope it just gets fixed soon! With all this noise Jack made about warranties not transferring there's just no way I'd buy a used WOZ now. Which sucks for everyone who owns one legitimately too, because your resale value is being beat on with this.

Pre-ordering is certainly not for the faint of heart! If money is no object, best to just pay the going rate for a machine you can actually inspect and take home with you.

Quoted from Aurich:

With all this noise Jack made about warranties not transferring there's just no way I'd buy a used WOZ now.

Honestly, I think this is a non-issue.

Jack has built his reputation over many years on his great customer service. Why would he change his spots now?
Hard to imagine him not taking care of common manufacturing defects, such as the LED boards, regardless of who owns the machine and when the failure occurs. I have a friend who bought a used WOZ and he has been getting the same level of customer service as me.

I think it's easier (and perhaps legally smarter) to put a more stringent rule in place and then be free to make exceptions. The "I reserve the right to refuse service to anyone" principle.

#245 10 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

Honestly, I think this is a non-issue.

Jack has built his reputation over many years on his great customer service. Why would he change his spots now?

You know, I'd normally agree with you, that was certainly what Alex said here, and it seemed reasonable. Stern has the same policy, and no one talks about issues getting support from them. Hell, when I had to call Stern with a NIB Star Trek issue I sure didn't have to prove I bought the game new.

But then Jack made a point of coming in here and saying that Alex didn't speak for JJP, and that warranties weren't going to be honored for 2nd party sales.

My guess is that was mostly just FUD directed at that distributor, and more dumb than anything really setting policy. But frankly with the prices of these games and the issues that all you owners are putting up with I simply wouldn't want to get into a situation where I was left potentially holding the ball. Maybe down the road this will get cleared up, I think I'll probably just pass on WOZ and see how things go with Hobbit instead.

#246 10 years ago

The best customer service is to not need all this customer service to begin with

#247 10 years ago

I'm still confused. Are these new boards the fix everyone has been waiting for, or aren't they? Can an existing 5V game be retrofitted with the new hardware in a way that completely solves all the LED lockups and other issues? What about the new games rolling off the line? Are they problem free?

#248 10 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I'm still confused. Are these new boards the fix everyone has been waiting for, or aren't they? Can an existing 5V game be retrofitted with the new hardware in a way that completely solves all the LED lockups and other issues? What about the new games rolling off the line? Are they problem free?

I think the jury is still out.

#249 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

My guess is that was mostly just FUD directed at that distributor, and more dumb than anything really setting policy.

^^^^^This.

I haven't heard of anyone being refused or charged for service because they were not an original purchaser. I might have missed it, but I think any such instance would have been all over Pinside.

Actions speak for themselves.

#250 10 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

I think the jury is still out.

Yes, I think this is what everyone is waiting to find out. As I understand it, the games with the anti-lockup LED boards are just now being delivered. If these turn out to be problem-free over time, then I can't see any reason that the earlier games won't eventually also be problem free, provided new anti-lockup boards are swapped into the machine, as the only thing that has presumably changed since the earlier games were shipped is the design of these boards.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 24.50
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 16.95
11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Burlingame, CA
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 91.00
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 85.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 29.99
Hardware
Classic Game Rooms

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Stephenson, VA
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

11,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Spokane Valley, WA
$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

There are 355 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 8.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/woz-led-issue-info/page/5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.