Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 62 posts
  • 35 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by DaveH
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

There are 62 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 9 years ago

I thought I read somewhere last fall that there was going to be another, possibly the FINAL release, code for WOZ? Does anybody know or have any further info on this?

#2 9 years ago

I would never call anything final, but there'll be another release sometime soon. At least one small one before PAPA for sure. No other date guarantees.

Oh and it won't exactly be a game-changer either, mostly bugfixes probably.

#3 9 years ago

Keefer is on that!

#4 9 years ago

Thanks Keith.

#5 9 years ago

Thanks for the update Keith! You and Ted have done an incredible job with the code for WOZ. JJP is an example for how code should be done in this industry. Regular updates with open communication

#6 9 years ago

Shouldn't the title of the thread read as "WOZ code update coming soon" since it is an update on the status of the code rather than updated code available now?

#7 9 years ago

Keith, please consider giving a ball-saver grace period. When the shoot again light goes out but the ball is already between the flippers getting slowed down by the center post it often does not save the ball which is different from other recent games.

Also, it seems like it would add to the gameplay to be awarded a ball letter when making the spinner shot, especially considering some of the ball letters are hard to hit directly.

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Thanks for the update Keith! You and Ted have done an incredible job with the code for WOZ. JJP is an example for how code should be done in this industry. Regular updates with open communication

+1000

This is the main reason why I prepaid for Hobbit.

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Keith, please consider giving a ball-saver grace period. When the shoot again light goes out but the ball is already between the flippers getting slowed down by the center post it often does not save the ball which is different from other recent games.
Also, it seems like it would add to the gameplay to be awarded a ball letter when making the spinner shot, especially considering some of the ball letters are hard to hit directly.

Apologies if you're already aware, but you can change settings for the ball targets. I just realized this not too long ago and changed the settings to award any unlit BALL letter when any BALL target is hit. Getting more CB modes = more fun over here.

Your idea sounds cool too.

One thing that drives me crazy is during TNPLH when the spinner shot is needed. I hit the shot, spinner spins, but the ball rejects. Come on! I hit the shot! Give me credit!

#10 9 years ago

The only bug I've noticed is after the ball gets captured by the monkey...I have to hit both flippers to get a new ball to eject into the shooter lane.

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

The only bug I've noticed is after the ball gets captured by the monkey...I have to hit both flippers to get a new ball to eject into the shooter lane.

That sounds like a switch issue. Mine has never done that.

#12 9 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

That sounds like a switch issue. Mine has never done that.

Yes, but wouldn't a switch issue not be effected by the flippers cancelling the animation (which had already ended)? Everything else up there works fine during the game - the machine knows when a ball is up there (I'm guessing there are optos there). Now I'm stumped...thought it was no big deal!

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

it would add to the gameplay to be awarded a ball letter when making the spinner shot, especially considering some of the ball letters are hard to hit directly.

This would be *awesome*, but I've got to wonder if you're substantially changing the risk/rewards of going for those 2x scoring modes at that point.

#14 9 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Yes, but wouldn't a switch issue not be effected by the flippers cancelling the animation (which had already ended)? Everything else up there works fine during the game - the machine knows when a ball is up there (I'm guessing there are optos there). Now I'm stumped...thought it was no big deal!

I believe the switches are all microswitches. Likely the switch that senses the monkey being up at the door is needing an adjustment.

#15 9 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

This would be *awesome*, but I've got to wonder if you're substantially changing the risk/rewards of going for those 2x scoring modes at that point.

I doubt many people are intentionally shooting the ball targets as it is. They are probably the riskiest shots in the game. I let the BALL targets happen in the flow of the game and concentrate on playing the safer shots to progress to the various multiballs.

#16 9 years ago

I go for the ball targets sometimes.

There already is a grace period on the ball save, though it's not very long...I'm kind of neutral on increasing or keeping it the same..

#17 9 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

I doubt many people are intentionally shooting the ball targets as it is. They are probably the riskiest shots in the game. I let the BALL targets happen in the flow of the game and concentrate on playing the safer shots to progress to the various multiballs.

That's my point exactly. The BALL targets are risky, but I don't find the spinner/crystal ball shot to be all that tough. If they added lighting a letter off the spinner, I would shoot the spinner, then trap and post pass over, or just do like I do on my STTNG and give it a good solid whack as the ball hits the bottom of the held-up right flipper and see if I could just bounce it over to make the spinner shot again.

#18 9 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

That's my point exactly. The BALL targets are risky, but I don't find the spinner/crystal ball shot to be all that tough. If they added lighting a letter off the spinner, I would shoot the spinner, then trap and post pass over, or just do like I do on my STTNG and give it a good solid whack as the ball hits the bottom of the held-up right flipper and see if I could just bounce it over to make the spinner shot again.

The left spinner shot is risky in WOZ, especially since it needs to be perfect or else it often rejects the shot and then possibly dribbles out toward the hungry left outlane. I don't think a two ball crystal ball mode multiball is worth hitting that shot over and over again. The safe shots in WOZ are the right orbit which works you toward Haunted multiball and lane multipliers, the ramp, and the castle/drop target.

If someone is using the spinner shot as an easy tactic then the tilt bob needs to be set sensitive to deter/punish such a tactic.

#19 9 years ago

Great to hear, that you are working on an sw-update on this fabulous machine.
I'd like to take the chance to report my major difficulty: during the balls 'no hold flipper mode' the castle flipper is extraordinary weak. Seems like the retreat starts already when the regular flipper reaches it's end, which is due to the two contacts a little earlier. If so, I would be really glad to hear, that someone considers to change this in the upcoming release! TIA, rotstern

#20 9 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

The left spinner shot is risky in WOZ, especially since it needs to be perfect or else it often rejects the shot and then possibly dribbles out toward the hungry left outlane. I don't think a two ball crystal ball mode multiball is worth hitting that shot over and over again. The safe shots in WOZ are the right orbit which works you toward Haunted multiball and lane multipliers, the ramp, and the castle/drop target.
If someone is using the spinner shot as an easy tactic then the tilt bob needs to be set sensitive to deter/punish such a tactic.

The "lockbar bump over" isn't something that would set off a tilt on just about any game I have ever played, short of the first year I played games at TPF where the tilt was so tight you had to stand 15 feet from the game and use a butterfly wing to waft the buttons in to flip the flipper and avoid a tilt.

#21 9 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

The "lockbar bump over" isn't something that would set off a tilt on just about any game I have ever played, short of the first year I played games at TPF where the tilt was so tight you had to stand 15 feet from the game and use a butterfly wing to waft the buttons in to flip the flipper and avoid a tilt.

Hahahaaha. Ah, memories.

#22 9 years ago

One other small request, add a ten second ball saver to the flipper frenzy mode. It is difficult to get to flipper frenzy and also hard to get used to the reversed flippers, and it can be over as soon as the crystal ball VUK kicks the ball to the left flipper (before you have much time to adapt).

#23 9 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

One other small request, add a ten second ball saver to the flipper frenzy mode. It is difficult to get to flipper frenzy and also hard to get used to the reversed flippers, and it can be over as soon as the crytal ball VUK kicks the ball to the left flipper (before you have much time to adapt).

This was requested back in earlier stages of WOZ code -- I was surprised when it wasn't first in there similar to TSPP's Mystery Spot. I thought it was added? (Sorry, it's been awhile since I've played flipper frenzy on WOZ).

#24 9 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

The ball save light *is* a grace period. Basically, if the saver light is off before the ball actually drains (and activates the outhole switch), then there's no ballsave and the ball is lost. (Some games activate the ballsave when the ball rolls over an outlane switch, but that's not appropriate for WOZ because both outlanes have save features.)

I *like* the 'true' ballsave timing btw. Much better than draining the ball a couple of seconds after the light goes out, and wondering if you'll still get a save. This way, you know whether you did or not right away. And if it's too short, then just make the ballsave longer in the settings menu.

2 weeks later
#25 9 years ago

Yes, we have an update. Hmmmm... small one

==============================================================================
== Version 4.11 ==
==============================================================================

=== Game Code

* Fixed a bug that caused a scoring exploit in ECMB.

#26 9 years ago

I agree jjp takes a mayor step forwards code wise.

But...... They are not there yet, in my humble opinion. Now move on even more.

- online score boards.
- online competitions
- season like updates, for example when its christmas give the game a christmas look. Just some extras, like games do.
- keep on putting in new easter eggs and other surprising stuff.
- more modes. Like a 1 ball mode, only multiballmode, online modes, timed modes, boss modes etc etc. Just different games to play on the same pin, off course all with online scoreboards again.

Just go on with this, look at the gaming world and just use that. So many possibillities to get way more out of 1 game.

Keep the players playing, give them competition. Connect all your pins online and a new era for pinball starts.

#27 9 years ago

Yeah would be super easy to plug in a USB wifi card.

#28 9 years ago

I'd like to see the the countdown pause in the witch hurry up mode when the ball is in the throne room hole - it's a little maddening to watch it count down and there's nothing you can do but wait. 'Not a big thing but would be a small improvement.

#29 9 years ago
Quoted from Plungemaster:

But...... They are not there yet, in my humble opinion. Now move on even more.
- online score boards.
- online competitions
- season like updates, for example when its christmas give the game a christmas look. Just some extras, like games do.
- keep on putting in new easter eggs and other surprising stuff.
- more modes. Like a 1 ball mode, only multiballmode, online modes, timed modes, boss modes etc etc. Just different games to play on the same pin, off course all with online scoreboards again.

This is the kind of stuff that I envisioned JJP would bring to pinball, hopefully some of this stuff is in the works

I also liked the idea that someone had about having an "xbox like" achievement system where you try to accomplish goals in-game to receive achievements at the end of the game.

#30 9 years ago

I love the fact that the code on WOZ is so incredibly easy to update. I added LED panels to my Sterns (replacing the fluorescent tube), and those have to be removed every time I update the code. Not a big deal, of course, but it is so much simpler just to reach into the WOZ coin door. Thanks for that little bit of extra convenience.

#31 9 years ago
Quoted from wtatumjr:

I'd like to see the the countdown pause in the witch hurry up mode when the ball is in the throne room hole - it's a little maddening to watch it count down and there's nothing you can do but wait. 'Not a big thing but would be a small improvement.

If you hit both flippers when the ball is in the throne room, toto will bark and the ball will be released.

#32 9 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

This happened to me for the first time the other day. The problem was the monkey didn't release the ball (maybe due to some residual magnetism). Hitting the flippers made it drop the ball. After which, it was recognized by the switch and a new ball was ejected into the shooter lane.

#33 9 years ago
Quoted from Craig:

I love the fact that the code on WOZ is so incredibly easy to update. I added LED panels to my Sterns (replacing the fluorescent tube), and those have to be removed every time I update the code. Not a big deal, of course, but it is so much simpler just to reach into the WOZ coin door. Thanks for that little bit of extra convenience.

Its also other small things I love on my WOZ:
- This little metal plate on the ballthrough .. if you bring the playfield in the up position it prevents balls from falling downt the playfield. Like on PB2000. It costs not a dollar .. why the heck did STERN not install this ?!
- The rubber on top of the backbox .. no scratches to the apron while plafield is in up position .. costs 3 dollar .... great idea !

On WOZ you see, the designers thought about what they are doing ! I own also a MET and TWD ... from the whole quality is WOZ the number one. Only ... the theme .. mahhhhh ... not so really my favorit ! TH also ... mahhhaaa not my thing ... I am looking forward for number 3 !!

#34 9 years ago

If you hit both flippers when the ball is in the throne room, toto will bark and the ball will be released.
Thanks! This is why I like this forum so much. I'll try it next time my WOZ is working but mine keeps cutting off - Kind of sad for a new game. It's almost unplayable.

#35 9 years ago
Quoted from wtatumjr:

Thanks! This is why I like this forum so much. I'll try it next time my WOZ is working but mine keeps cutting off - Kind of sad for a new game. It's almost unplayable.

If you are having problems with your game, contact Lloyd at:

service AT jerseyjackpinball DOT com

Lloyd is great and will help you get your game working solid. There is no reason your game should be down for a long period of time.

#36 9 years ago

is == Version 4.11 == the latest code now

or ist there already a hotfix for 4.11 ---- 4.12 now?

#37 9 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

If you are having problems with your game, contact Lloyd at:
service AT jerseyjackpinball DOT com
Lloyd is great and will help you get your game working solid. There is no reason your game should be down for a long period of time.

I opened a ticket 3/2 - I've had good luck in the past but 'haven't heard a thing yet (except auto response). I really can't access the game until next Friday anyway as it's at the beach house about 2 1/2 hours away.
A real problem is the beach house is rented during the summer and those people are going to expect a working pinball machine (my main reason for buying NIB). If it fails then I have to buy another pin or fix WOZ fast.

#38 9 years ago
Quoted from TomDK:

... if you bring the playfield in the up position it prevents balls from falling down the playfield. Like on PB2000. It costs not a dollar .. why the heck did STERN not install this ?!...

Because it costs almost a dollar.

Still loving my WOZ!!

--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics
http://LockWhenLit.com
Quality Board Work - In Home Service
borygard at gmail dot com

#39 9 years ago
Quoted from wtatumjr:

I opened a ticket 3/2 - I've had good luck in the past but 'haven't heard a thing yet (except auto response).

Since you haven't heard back, I'd suggest you try contacting again. That happened to me once and he hadn't gotten my email due to a glitch not his fault. Otherwise, he and everyone at JJP have been great at responding quickly, even their engineer one time on a Saturday night! With their help, my WOZ is now working awesomely.

#40 9 years ago
Quoted from wtatumjr:

I opened a ticket 3/2 - I've had good luck in the past but 'haven't heard a thing yet (except auto response). I really can't access the game until next Friday anyway as it's at the beach house about 2 1/2 hours away.
A real problem is the beach house is rented during the summer and those people are going to expect a working pinball machine (my main reason for buying NIB). If it fails then I have to buy another pin or fix WOZ fast.

For some completely inexplicable reason the support site still sucks after all this time. There are just some great mysteries about pinball manufactures that I will just never understand and this is one of them. Emailing Lloyd gets the job done in no time.

#41 9 years ago
Quoted from wtatumjr:

Sometimes you will need to make choices, WOZ forces you to do that and that is something i really like about the game, the need to think about what your doing and not just mindlessly shoot and collect.

#42 9 years ago

I have a question about code update.
I just bought a woz 75th ruby red.
I still have software 4,0, so I'd like to upgrade to 4,11

-> Will I loose the custom (ruby red) images and video in attract mode if I do a delta update?
-> Will I loose them if I do a full install? (not needed now, but I'd like to know)

#43 9 years ago
Quoted from gawcol:

I have a question about code update.
I just bought a woz 75th ruby red.
I still have software 4,0, so I'd like to upgrade to 4,11
-> Will I loose the custom (ruby red) images and video in attract mode if I do a delta update?
-> Will I loose them if I do a full install? (not needed now, but I'd like to know)

You will retain the 75th images. Actually, the images and video are in every machine, but are not triggered unless the machine has the right USB dongle. You only need to download the 4.11 incremental update.

#44 9 years ago
Quoted from Craig:

I love the fact that the code on WOZ is so incredibly easy to update. I added LED panels to my Sterns (replacing the fluorescent tube), and those have to be removed every time I update the code.

FWIW, You can put in a USB extension cord on your sterns. Drape it down to somewhere within reach.

Something like these, which are cheap as heck:

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=103&cp_id=10303&cs_id=1030304&p_id=5432&seq=1&format=2
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=103&cp_id=10303&cs_id=1030304&p_id=5433&seq=1&format=2

#45 9 years ago
Quoted from pinball_keefer:

I would never call anything final, but there'll be another release sometime soon. At least one small one before PAPA for sure. No other date guarantees.
Oh and it won't exactly be a game-changer either, mostly bugfixes probably.

Awesome!

I hope it fixes the music issue (where the music will stop playing in the middle of ball?)

#46 9 years ago
Quoted from jfesler:

FWIW, You can put in a USB extension cord on your sterns.

A very good idea. Thanks!

#47 9 years ago
Quoted from jfesler:

FWIW, You can put in a USB extension cord on your sterns. Drape it down to somewhere within reach.
Something like these, which are cheap as heck:
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=103&cp_id=10303&cs_id=1030304&p_id=5432&seq=1&format=2
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=103&cp_id=10303&cs_id=1030304&p_id=5433&seq=1&format=2

But how do you flip,the dipswitch without going into the backbox on ther Stern sam machines?

#48 9 years ago

Crap. Busted. Certainly nothing elegant. Too bad they don't let you initiate the update from the service menu. Guess I can skip my monoprice order too.

#49 9 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

But how do you flip,the dipswitch without going into the backbox on ther Stern sam machines?

Yup, hadn't thought through that. Of course, it has been a while since the last code update...

#50 9 years ago
Quoted from wtatumjr:

No reason you shouldn't be able to get your game issues resolved by now, I dont know of any current open unsolved issues. Don't rely on their ticketing system, call/email Lloyd and he'll get you fixed up.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
There are 62 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/woz-le-code-update and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.