Topic Stats

• 50 posts
  • 38 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by gearheaddropping
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

I have had my WOZ machine for just over 1 year. In the year of ownership I have added some mods such as tree eyes that illuminate with pop-bumper operation, castle walls, tornado, lollipop rainbow targets, cliffy protectors, illuminated winkie drop target, some extra lights and other stuff.
Definitely enhances the game and in the case of the winkie target helps play as it is easy to see when the target is up or down.

I have had some switch adjustment problems, LED lamp board problems and the ball lock relay problem early on with poor solder joins on the coil plus some adjustments within this year of operation. One switch associated with the Wizard hole -- an upright switch behind a stationary rubber was difficult to find, until I associated the sound correctly to that specific switch. At times
during play the switch would hit making the sound occasionally until it become all the time and very annoying.

Multiball brings unusual situations, such as trapping two balls behind the upright winkie target making for interesting play until the target drops. Two balls in the Crystal Ball sometimes causes
the VUK a hardship.

No major problems causing a raise in blood pressure -- although early on the LED boards were a concern. As I have an early machine, my LED boards continue to fail, although at a slower rate.

So after one year in home operation I feel - my opinion, that the fundamental design is working solidly with the firmware design. Problems seem to be common pinball problems at this point.

#2 6 years ago

Same here. Not quite a year one mine, but will be soon enough. In the last year I have to adjust the witch, replace one light board, take apart the castle playfield to adjust the castle doors to work reliably (that job really sucked), replace an LED cable that my daughter broke while taking the castle playfield out (our fault, not JJPs) and just last Tuesday the coil for the munchkin lock arm had a lug break off so I had to order a new one (game is down right now because of that). As far as manufacturing/assembly, my game has a small chip missing in the playfield under the post between flippers which was probably caused by over-tightening when the post was installed.

I still need to adjust/fix the one bumper that is contacting the guide rail and causing the metal shaving issue.

In the big scheme of things none of this is major in my book and having several NIBs over the years, is better than average. For an entirely new platform and manufacturing system, I think JJP has done and is doing a pretty solid job. It will only get better over time.

#3 6 years ago

how do you guys rate your WOZ compared to any Sterns in your collection? is there a real difference in build quality? support? I currently own 5 Sterns (have owned 15 or so in past) and am getting my first JJP with Hobbit.

#4 6 years ago

Thank you for the fair reports; I admit I have not had that many issues with "newer" sterns I have bought used... but that being said there is a lot less stuff to go wrong with an IM

#5 6 years ago

The reason for my original post is since WOZ is the first design, development and production from a new company I wanted to convey the one year ownership type of report. I do own a recent Stern machine but the comparison isn't realistic since Stern has been producing games for a long while with established production techniques and design with rote software development for a known platform.

Another comment is there definitely the feel that there was a copper saving plan in place with the playfield wiring. The under playfield wiring appears/is very taut. Maybe it is looser on later production machines.

When lifting the playfield the ball trough blocker is a nice addition, however one has to be careful about remembering to pull captive balls from the castle and lock areas if the game was powered off with balls remaining in these places. Factory default is captive balls are not drained after a game is completed, but this can be changed via options.

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from cscmtp:

how do you guys rate your WOZ compared to any Sterns in your collection? is there a real difference in build quality? support? I currently own 5 Sterns (have owned 15 or so in past) and am getting my first JJP with Hobbit.

I bought a NIB ACDC Premium and a WOZECLE last year. In terms of build quality ACDC is good but WOZ is on another level. The finish of the cabinet is better inside and out. The interior walls of the cabinet look professionally finished with a smooth look versus the Stern cabinet. The menu system is far more intuitive then Sterns and offers countless options for adjustments and diagnostics. The differences in the quality of the powder coating is obvious with the one on WOZ looking far superior and less prone to scratching. I found even the way the game was packed to be better then my ACDC.

I haven't had to use support but heard it's been stellar with Lyold or Alex always willing to help. In terms of code support I've never seen another pinball company offer as many updates in a reasonable timeframe as JJP has.

#7 6 years ago

I had my WOZLE for a few months and at times have regretted selling. I never had the chance to play the code once 2.0 hit. Long term, how has re-playability been?

#8 6 years ago

I've also had mine for a year and, knock on wood, have had none of the problems reported here and elsewhere. Can't say why, but it has been rock solid. Ironically, the only LED board I've had go out was on the STLE I bought a few months later (a board that Stern replaced quickly, I should add). A couple things did break on WOZ, but those were entirely my fault, and JJP was great about supplying new parts.

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from cscmtp:

The only Stern NIB I have purchased was Tron. I bought three B/W NIB over the years.

Subjectively, I do feel WoZ is screwed together better than the my Tron any my other non-NIB Sterns and therefore will have more long term durability. Time will tell.

For comparison, on my Tron the ball trough opto board failed within 10 games (Stern replaced it), the bolt holding the Recognizer to the motor cam fell out within 20 games (easy fix), I have a lighting problem with one of the pop bumpers that I still have not solved to this day (think it's a bad light socket), my 3d translight had a scratch on it and the disc motor had to be replaced twice.

The disc original motor had so much noise and vibration that even my wife asked me what was wrong with it when the game was new. Stern sent me a replacement motor promptly, but I found the set screw holding the disc to the motor shaft on the original motor was so tight from the factory I couldn't get the disc off. I bent one allen wrench and broke a bit trying to get it free. Stern sent me a whole new motor/disc assembly. The new motor still makes a lot of noise and it still drives me nuts, but it is what it is. I have to keep it lubed constantly to keep the noise and vibration to reasonable levels.

By contrast, the three B/Ws I bought NIB never had real any problems out of the box -- I think I made a few minor switch adjustment here or there. Maybe I just got lucky because I know B/W weren't perfect either -- but in my case there they required nothing. Set up and play.

When I called Pat at Stern about my Tron he was helpful and quick to ship me replacement parts, no questioned asked. Same with JJP.

I think JJP definitely takes assembly quality in to consideration. While the castle playfield was a chore to take off the game, it really wasn't horrible. You just have to cut a lot of zip ties and unplug a bunch of cables to get it free.

I think you will be pleased with Hobbit. I'm not in on that, but am anxious to see what Lawlor is working on.

#10 6 years ago

Once JJP settled my RGB board problems at the end of last December, I only had to replace one board that was freezing up...it didn't render the game unplayable, though. Not one problem since, and the machine just feels more solid than my LOTR or Congo. Of course, Hobbit will be even heavier, so people will have to shore up their foundations to bring it in the house!

Great machine, and I'm very sorry to tell you VolunteerPin, that the game is incredible since 3.0/4.0 and has great replay value. Mine's not going anywhere in the foreseeable future.

#11 6 years ago

I've had some board failures, and a few other minor issues with my 14 month old WOZ. Code was weak when it was delivered, but I had faith that the code would get completed, which it did. It was actually kind of cool, because you got to see what new things the new code brought forward. It was like receiving a present every couple of months. The tech support and customer support has been stellar from JJP. I can say the same thing about Stern too. As far as long term, I don't see getting rid of my WOZ. I am really space challenged, and can only fit 4 pins in my house, so I really have to think carefully about what stays. Build quality is great. No complaints. It's by far the best build quality of any pin I've had. Since my early problems, WOZ has held up very well. I've heavilly played this machine. I must have a couple of thousand plays on the machine.
I have had in the past a NIB Stern, and it held up pretty well. The difference is in how it feels. I just "feel" that the JJP machine is more solid.
I do think that once the "infant mortality" problems are worked out, JJP will have a very solid product.

#12 6 years ago

where did you get the lighted trees from? or did you do it yourself?

#13 6 years ago

Hopefully TH will double the sheer number of woz code updates, or I am not buying! I expect more for the second effort.

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Once JJP settled my RGB board problems at the end of last December, I only had to replace one board that was freezing up...it didn't render the game unplayable, though. Not one problem since, and the machine just feels more solid than my LOTR or Congo. Of course, Hobbit will be even heavier, so people will have to shore up their foundations to bring it in the house!
Great machine, and I'm very sorry to tell you VolunteerPin, that the game is incredible since 3.0/4.0 and has great replay value. Mine's not going anywhere in the foreseeable future.

I'm actually very happy to hear it. I traded mine out for a pimped out perfect TOTAN which has since then been traded out, lol. I have a Hobbit LE pre-order which I'm very excited about and I can always pick up another WOZ if desired.

#15 6 years ago

I'll be coming up to a year of proud WOZ ownership in just over a month, and have had no major problems at all, just a few minor things that were easily fixed or adjusted. I have not ordered a single part for it.

As a first effort from a brand new company, WOZ is nothing short of miraculous, looking forward so much to The Hobbit.

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from pinstor12:

Hopefully TH will double the sheer number of woz code updates, or I am not buying! I expect more for the second effort.

Lol. That would mean two code updates a month!

#17 6 years ago

I've had a WOZ standard on location for 5 months, the only problem I had was the power supply blew (toroidal coil circuit failed somehow and fried) and then that took out the CPU board BUT I got fantastic warranty support. I give JJP an A+ considering this is their first machine. Seriously considering the Hobbit.

#18 6 years ago

That one flew right over your head.

#19 6 years ago

I've had mine for one year also. Replayability is still great for me. Woz and Ac/dc get most of my play these days with SM, Wh20 and RS next in line.

Zero light board issues. Had to adjust the Winkie switch. Tree pop bumper wiggled off and had to reattach, monkey mech/witch fuse blown and replaced and Lloyd sent out a new shaker to fix capacitor issue that was causing blown fuse. That's it.

Customer service phenomenal. Woz experience exceeded and continues to exceed expectations.

#20 6 years ago

Great to hear your games are doing so well.

#21 6 years ago

I don't own WOZ anymore, but when I had it any issues were met with instant and excellent customer service/support from Lloyd & Jack. I have to say I was blown away by how well they back their stuff!

Disclaimer: Hobbit is on order

#22 6 years ago

Just sold mine got annoyed with it, had light board issues, reset issues and it just frustrated me being all the way in Australia, mind you the tech support from all of JJP was exceptional, just long wait times between parts arriving........

Glad to have owned one but also glad to be rid of one.

#23 6 years ago
Quoted from Mato:

Just sold mine got annoyed with it, had light board issues, reset issues and it just frustrated me being all the way in Australia, mind you the tech support from all of JJP was exceptional, just long wait times between parts arriving........
Glad to have owned one but also glad to be rid of one.

With proper distributor support Down Under now - this should no longer be an issue - sorry I did not hear of this sooner.

#24 6 years ago

My WOZ has been no problems except, a slipper flew off which after reattaching with super glue gel has not fallen off in the last 6 months since, a loose wire on the ramp enter switch, a spring adjustment on the castle doors, which have worked flawlessly since. No light boards out. 10/29/13 build date just after they switched to the 7v light boards, but before the newest ones with the chip to prevent them from blowing, but I haven't blown any yet! Game play is fun after 3.0 and fantastic at 4.1 now!

Great Job Jack and JJP team, great game!!

Tom

#25 6 years ago
Quoted from pinstor12:

????

My game was a July '13 build and the code updates after receiving it came monthly and they were large updates that really hit a crescendo with 3.0 to 4.1.

I was very impressed with the code progress and they were as open as they could be with the progress especially after developing all the base code on WOZ I would think TH will be much further along at release.

#26 6 years ago
Quoted from JerseyJack:

With proper distributor support Down Under now - this should no longer be an issue - sorry I did not hear of this sooner.

Good to hear, it just was one thing after another that was the frustrating part, I will prob grab another one down the track maybe one of the rescue woz that come too Australia ......I'm really looking forward to Pat's pinball coming.

#27 6 years ago

I'm surprised only one has mentioned the metal shavings on the playfield from the pop bumper rubbing the lane guide. I bent my lane guide and I thought I had it fixed but last week I noticed metal shavings all over the lower end of the playfield again. I guess the ball has pushed back the lane guide into the pop bumper skirt. So once again I cleaned the playfield and bend the lane guide back. This to me is the only real gripe I have with my game. Just a PITA really.

I've had my game for almost a year and here are the other problems Iv'e had. Crystal ball error and no sound sometimes on startup. Both fixed by a simple restart. Crystal ball came lose and fell on the playfield. Problem is fixed now (not easy). CC around the VUK hole is cracked and chipped away.

All in all I'm happy with my purchase. I didn't expect perfection on the first game from JJP. It's a pinball machine and problems are to be expected.

#28 6 years ago
Quoted from PappyBoyington:

I'm surprised only one has mentioned the metal shavings on the playfield from the pop bumper rubbing the lane guide.

my game that was build in september 2014 has a lane guide that has a slot cut into it to avoid any contact.

#29 6 years ago
Quoted from TZBen:

my game that was build in september 2014 has a lane guide that has a slot cut into it to avoid any contact.

On mine, I was gonna grind it down as others have suggested, but i got lazy and then I noticed a few months later the shavings were gone. I guess it dulled the edge to the point where no more shavings were coming off. My lazyness paid off

#30 6 years ago

Had mine for 10 months now, and the only problem has been a shaker motor blowing a fuse - waiting for a replacement motor.

In Australia as well, but bought the Aus LE edition, so not so concerned about support.

In the question Stern vs JJP - have 2 NIB sterns (ACDCprem, STLE) and all machines are great. WOZ feels the heaviest, and have had least problems with it - having said that only minor problems with ACDC (ball trough register switches, lower play field target not registering).

Playability, still loving WOZ. Melting the witch is my goal, not that into high scores, so play it for the melt. I compare it to getting LOTZ in my TZ which is next to WOZ. Ball times can be lengthy as long as that left outdrain isn't having a field day (varies from day to day where the ball likes to go......).

Anyone else done the woofer upgrade kit? sounds great.

#31 6 years ago

Have had mine for about a year and 3 months and luckily have only had to replace one GI light board early on. A handful of adjustments had to be made, nothing major.

#32 6 years ago

Regarding the pop bumper ring hitting the ball guide -- on my machine, the ring hit the ball guide in two spots, the upper left end top corner and where others have noted where I ground out a space. I ground the left end top corner down and with both fixes in place no more clearance problem with the pop bumper operation. Really a minor thing. I didn't do the fix until I noticed some metal particulates
on the playfield.

The pink standup target between the ramp and the castle entrance takes a beating. I had to adjust this switch twice, and I note that the target has taken a twist to the right because of inadvertent hits when trying to hit the ramp. It takes a lot hits. May need to be replaced after a couple years.

The machine is substantially better than one would expect being the first design from scratch and first production from a new company.

#33 6 years ago
Quoted from minnesota13:

The pink standup target between the ramp and the castle entrance takes a beating. I had to adjust this switch twice, and I note that the target has taken a twist to the right because of inadvertent hits when trying to hit the ramp. It takes a lot hits. May need to be replaced after a couple years.

That target is in the same location as the clock target in TZ. It should hopefully be using the reinforced design like many TZ owners have changed to for that target and the slot machine target. I've had both in my TZ for quite a few years now and they have held up very well.

#34 6 years ago
Quoted from neurokinetik:

That target is in the same location as the clock target in TZ. It should hopefully be using the reinforced design like many TZ owners have changed to for that target and the slot machine target. I've had both in my TZ for quite a few years now and they have held up very well.

It's quite a bit farther back than the slot machine target is...but it couldn't hurt to reinforce it.

#35 6 years ago

The only problem I see is that JJP uses a different mounting bracket that the ones I've seen on the reinforced switches.

#36 6 years ago
Quoted from minnesota13:

As I have an early machine, my LED boards continue to fail, although at a slower rate.

I didn't realize the light boards were still an issue. I was under the impression that people with older, problematic games were given new power supplies and a new set of 7.5v boards.

#37 6 years ago

My WOZ will be a year old in about a month. I have had no problems with the machine at all. It still gets played as much as any other machine. Still looks and operates like brand new.

The new technology brought into the game, the build quality and the software support is hands down better than anything else out there right now.

#38 6 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I didn't realize the light boards were still an issue. I was under the impression that people with older, problematic games were given new power supplies and a new set of 7.5v boards.

This is not the case. JJP is replacing boards as they fail with the idea that it might only take one new board to fix the LED lock-up and failed board problems. My last failure was months ago and the LEDs have been stable with no lock-ups. I only have one of the new boards with the filter in my older 5V system.

#39 6 years ago

Well, I've only had mine 7 months but the only problems I've had was the Munchkin lock was sometimes letting two balls out at a time. A simple timing adjustment in the software fixed that.
I had to gap the right sling switches from being too sensitive and firing twice, not a big deal obviously.
And, I did have some metal shavings at the beginning, but I was careful to vacuum them regularly and there were no more after around 60-80 games. It's been a pleasure owning WOZLE!

#40 6 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

It's quite a bit farther back than the slot machine target is...but it couldn't hurt to reinforce it.

Yeah, but it's about as far as the clock standup in TZ, as neuro stated.

#41 6 years ago

I have had the same problem as the above (Cleland) concerning the Munchkin lock letting two balls out at a time. When he says "a simple timing adjustment in the software fixed that" what exactly is does he mean. It does not seem to be listed in the game settings. Any help on how to fix this will be greatly appreciated (especially if it helps). Thanks.

#42 6 years ago
Quoted from jamesdeloris:

I have had the same problem as the above (Cleland) concerning the Munchkin lock letting two balls out at a time. When he says "a simple timing adjustment in the software fixed that" what exactly is does he mean. It does not seem to be listed in the game settings. Any help on how to fix this will be greatly appreciated (especially if it helps). Thanks.

It's a timing adjustment in the menu. I don't have my WOZ anymore, or I would look up exactly where it is in the menu, but it's there.

#43 6 years ago

I set my game to virtual locks a while ago and haven't looked back. Just too much chance of multiple balls being released and really throwing off competitive play.

#44 6 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

I set my game to virtual locks a while ago and haven't looked back. Just too much chance of multiple balls being released and really throwing off competitive play.

Does virtual lock still hold the ball for the animation? You do miss the skill shots you would get otherwise...

#45 6 years ago

Mine's a month old and the Winkie never worked. It seems to only be a missing screw which I will replace but a little more attention might be used in this area at JJP as others have had Winkie problems as well. Great game otherwise - I sometimes just watch the fantastic rainbow light show.

#46 6 years ago
Quoted from VolunteerPin:

I had my WOZLE for a few months and at times have regretted selling. I never had the chance to play the code once 2.0 hit. Long term, how has re-playability been?

The replayability is pretty fantastic. I'm just getting mine today, but I've been playing it constantly on location; after all, if I don't love it on location, I'm not going to love it at home. Because the game 'plays itself' in a number of ways - rollovers, ball, etc - your strategy is constantly changing.

For example, my usual strategy is: if I lock Dorothy and can get a virtual ball lock on ball 1, I'll go for 5 ball rescue because I can always cash it in later if I'm worried. I had a game during league last week where that happened, but I noticed I had the last two ECMB locks lit. Cashed in the Rescue for two ball, and my first two shots were to the ramp for a five ball Rescue and ECMB instead of three ball ECMB and maybe a five ball Rescue.

The game is unlike any others in the replayability department because it really rewards you for majorly changing your strategy mid-game based on what it gives you. Like LOTR on crack.

#47 6 years ago

I've had mine for over a year & still having lamp board problems. It's been up & running less than half the time I've owned it. The rest of the time it just sits there waiting for parts. As a matter of fact,it's sitting there right now with waiting for a fix.

#48 6 years ago
Quoted from Breadfan:

I've had mine for over a year & still having lamp board problems. It's been up & running less than half the time I've owned it. The rest of the time it just sits there waiting for parts. As a matter of fact,it's sitting there right now with waiting for a fix.

(Space reserved for CraZ4Pin's celebratory rant.)

#49 6 years ago
Quoted from Breadfan:

Is it currently down for a light board, or other? What has broken aside from light boards that has required new parts?

#50 6 years ago

We've had ours since February 2014. I've had to tighten down the castle doors and replace the winkie sticker. Other than that, its been perfectly fine.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 57.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods
$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.
$ 12.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 360.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 125.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball
$ 90.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 76.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
$ 11.95
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 12.95
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Miami, FL
$ 219.99
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 11.95
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 99.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Sales
$ 35.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC
$ 14.95
Trade
Sale Pending!
Massillon, OH
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Sandusky, OH
Lighting - Backbox
Rock Custom Pinball
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lewiston, ME
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside