• 54 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by LTG
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider NM.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from cfh:

I saw and reviewed WOZ some time ago and identified a few things that i thought would be issues to operators. i told whoever would listen (next to no one.) But turns out, those chicken have come home to roost.

Now understand that WOZ is an incredible machine. But frankly it's just not designed to be operated. Sorry Jack, but it's not. I mean it's the coolest pinball ever (aside from the theme of a chick trying to get red shoes), but there are things that should have been designed better.

First and foremost are the connectors. There are a zillion of them on WOZ, which in theory is good. But in reality, they are MUCH too small. I've been telling anyone that would listen for years that anything other than a .156" locking molex or a "mini-fit" style plug (Gottlieb system3) is inadequate for pinball playfields. The connector pins are too small, the wires too thin (to fit the too small pins), and the wires and/or pins break or crack at the solder joints. Williams demonstrated this with some system11 drop targets and the magnetic ball sensor on Twilight Zone. You damn well would think people would learn from this mistake, but apparently that's not the case. (Stern for that matter makes this mistake too, so it's not just Jack.) WOZ has connectors on the EOS flipper switches too, probably a bad idea too...

Light boards. This is a joke on WOZ. They are still serial. Meaning if it fails upstream, ALL lights downstream don't work. I thought they were addressing this, but apparently not.

Speaking of light boards, they have non-replaceable fuses soldered to the board. REALLY? and to boot, they are either 2 amp or 15 amp. Seems like a wide range, and seems rather random. But a non-replaceable fuse??

Tim at the PHoF has been experiencing these problems in spades. He can't keep WOZ running due to these small but important issues. He's modifying the light boards with a replaceable 3AG style fuse and fuse holder. Seems silly that he has to do this. And all the small connectors are failing too.

I realize that this probably isn't an issue with home use games, but for a solid operator, these things should have been addressed! Hopefully Jack is more respondent than Stern (who doesn't listen to anyone, and continues to decrease the quality of their hardware at every corner, even when only one penny is involved) when it comes to issues such as these.

Eye-opening; thanks for this location durability insight Clay.

#29 10 years ago
Quoted from Sunfox:

Have the connectors on WOZ proven a legitimate problem yet, or is this just a prediction at this time?

At the bottom of Clay's initial post above:

Quoted from cfh:

Tim at the PHoF has been experiencing these problems in spades. He can't keep WOZ running due to these small but important issues. He's modifying the light boards with a replaceable 3AG style fuse and fuse holder. Seems silly that he has to do this. And all the small connectors are failing too.

I realize that this probably isn't an issue with home use games, but for a solid operator, these things should have been addressed!...

#41 10 years ago
Quoted from chessiv:

I'm not sure he said the connectors actually failed but they had a high probability of failing, and he also said same as stern. Has Tim actually had connectors fail Clay?

Round Deux.

At the bottom of Clay's initial post above:

Quoted from cfh:

I realize that this probably isn't an issue with home use games, but for a solid operator, these things should have been addressed!...

#45 10 years ago
Quoted from chessiv:

It's not clear if its just the light boards or the connectors or both. One of the reasons I ask is he said the same thing about stern pins and I haven't heard of the connectors being a real issue on sterns either. Doesn't mean it isn't an issue, just haven't heard anyone but clay complain about it.

Not sure what exactly in the original statement quoted below doesn't seem clear (as to both issues existing on Tim's game), but I'll step aside now to see if Clay feels it necessary to confirm or clarify his statement.

Quoted from cfh:

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 395.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 91.00
$ 225.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 85.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 24.50
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA
$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 29.99
Hardware
Classic Game Rooms

$ 16.95
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

9,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Santa Maria, CA
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 345.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 5.00
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider NM.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/woz-issues?tu=NM and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.