(Topic ID: 258475)

WOZ Issues - Bad monkey! Very very bad monkey!

By rennervision

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

1231192125.jpg
#1 4 years ago

I had mentioned this issue earlier in Steve Gouveia's monkey mod thread and was hoping someone might know what the problem is. I've got two very weird scenarios occurring...

#1. This happens every time the monkey captures the ball. Whenever he picks it up successfully, he takes it up to the castle like he should. However, the door then opens to release it and registers a virtual lock. The switch behind the door works and the game does not go into search mode after the monkey drops the ball off up there. But the door always immediately opens now to release it - which unfairly gives me an opportunity to start bashing the castle door with the same ball. Not sure how to troubleshoot something like that since every switch and mechanism is working properly. (It's almost as if there's a problem in the software code!)

#2. Occasionally a different weird scenario occurs. Sometimes he flies down to pick up the ball and then just stays there. The ball eventually rolls away and he doesn't fly back up to the castle. Even if the ball drains, he just sits there at the magnet pickup spot. He's not stuck on anything; he moves fine in test mode. But I'll have to power off the machine and turn it back on for him to reset and work normal again.

Has anyone had either of these things happen to them? Any suggestions on how to fix them?

#2 4 years ago

When he goes to the bottom, he's not going far enough to register the switch in the back. You need to adjust it so he goes down a little further. Pull the playfield out and you can see how it works behind there.

The other problem may be related the adjustment problem to, so I'd start by adjusting him down a bit first.

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from rennervision:

I had mentioned this issue earlier in Steve Gouveia's monkey mod thread and was hoping someone might know what the problem is. I've got two very weird scenarios occurring...
#1. This happens every time the monkey captures the ball. Whenever he picks it up successfully, he takes it up to the castle like he should. However, the door then opens to release it and registers a virtual lock. The switch behind the door works and the game does not go into search mode after the monkey drops the ball off up there. But the door always immediately opens now to release it - which unfairly gives me an opportunity to start bashing the castle door with the same ball. Not sure how to troubleshoot something like that since every switch and mechanism is working properly. (It's almost as if there's a problem in the software code!)
#2. Occasionally a different weird scenario occurs. Sometimes he flies down to pick up the ball and then just stays there. The ball eventually rolls away and he doesn't fly back up to the castle. Even if the ball drains, he just sits there at the magnet pickup spot. He's not stuck on anything; he moves fine in test mode. But I'll have to power off the machine and turn it back on for him to reset and work normal again.
Has anyone had either of these things happen to them? Any suggestions on how to fix them?

A> What version of the software are you using? 7.02? Or older?
B> Is yours an ECLE, EC Standard, or Ruby Red?

Generally speaking, it sounds like virtual locks are on. On your system menu under GAME SETTINGS is the Rescue MB Virtual Lock set to ON or OFF? You want it set to OFF or it does what you're describing.

#4 4 years ago

Appreciate everyone's help. I've confirmed that switch 80 for Monkey Away does indeed trigger when I manually move the monkey down to the spot where he grabs the ball. Also, virtual lock is already set to off. I'm running version 6.61 on a Ruby Red.

#5 4 years ago

Appreciate everyone's help. I've confirmed that switch 80 for Monkey Away does indeed trigger when I manually move the monkey down to the spot where he grabs the ball. Also, virtual lock is already set to off. I'm running version 6.61 on a Ruby Red.

What's holding you back from 7.02? I'd start there so you're on the latest software.

#6 4 years ago

I think the first issue might be magnetized balls. If the balls are stuck in the trough, it might be releasing it because it thinks one is missing. I do know that there is some sort of reason for the door opening and releasing the ball. Mine does this once in a while like it means too. But it shouldn’t do it all of the time.

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from LukyDuck:

I think the first issue might be magnetized balls. If the balls are stuck in the trough, it might be releasing it because it thinks one is missing. I do know that there is some sort of reason for the door opening and releasing the ball. Mine does this once in a while like it means too. But it shouldn’t do it all of the time.

That's very easy to check with a steel paperclip, and might be an issue. But usually if the balls are magnetized there are other ball-serving and ball-over issues seen...

#8 4 years ago

So I just updated to version 7.02. Started up a game. Watched the monkey grab my ball and take it up the castle. Held my breath as he dropped it. And... I'm sorry to report that damn door opened again and let it out.

I don't think magnetized balls in the trough are an issue either, as balls eject just fine from the trough all the time.

#9 4 years ago

... and it does this EVERY time? I know it's coded to do that occasionally depending on other ball locks and current things going on in the game. This is puzzling.

#10 4 years ago

So I just updated to version 7.02. Started up a game. Watched the monkey grab my ball and take it up the castle. Held my breath as he dropped it. And... I'm sorry to report that damn door opened again and let it out.
I don't think magnetized balls in the trough are an issue either, as balls eject just fine from the trough all the time.

But did you check each ball with a steel paperclip?

Can you take a picture of your switch matrix screen in the system menu, please?

Are you short balls in the trough?

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

... and it does this EVERY time? I know it's coded to do that occasionally depending on other ball locks and current things going on in the game. This is puzzling.

Yep, every single time. (Strangely enough right after I switched out my original monkey for Steve's monkey which moves and tests exactly like it should.) But could it be a problem with the monkey if the issue is the switch behind the door detects the ball landing on it and so the door opens? I mean - the game knows if the switch got triggered during the monkey capture it must've been because the monkey brought it up to the castle, right? So I don't get why the door always opens now instead of keeping the ball locked.

#12 4 years ago

Could the switch behind the door be faulty or overly sensitive?

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from judremy:

Could the switch behind the door be faulty or overly sensitive?

Switch arm dragging in the slot in the playfield it goes up and down in ? Stuck closed ?

LTG : )

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

But did you check each ball with a steel paperclip?
Can you take a picture of your switch matrix screen in the system menu, please?

Checked each ball and none are magnetized.

The monkey was home in the castle when I took the picture below. Switch 72 (castle ball lock) tests fine when I press it by the way. And another weird thing - for kicks I picked the ball up off the playfield and placed it directly behind the castle door in the middle of a game. The door did NOT open (like it always does after the monkey captures it) and then the game went into search mode because it was as if the machine didn't know where the ball was.
1231192125.jpg1231192125.jpg

#15 4 years ago

Checked each ball and none are magnetized.
The monkey was home in the castle when I took the picture below. Switch 72 (castle ball lock) tests fine when I press it by the way. And another weird thing - for kicks I picked the ball up off the playfield and placed it directly behind the castle door in the middle of a game. The door did NOT open (like it always does after the monkey captures it) and then the game went into search mode because it was as if the machine didn't know where the ball was.
[quoted image]

72 works if you press it with your finger, but if you drop the ball on it, does it stay on? I'm wondering if it's not fully activating and STAYING activated with a ball (as opposed to your finger - digits are notoriously unreliable switch testers in these situations) and the rapid open/close/open is what's making the door misbehave. Try dropping the ball a few times behind the door while on the switch test screen.

#16 4 years ago

I would take the glass off and activate the capture Dorothy then roll the ball up to be picked up. Then see what the door does. Do it a few times.

#17 4 years ago

In test mode, that castle door always opens right after I push down on switch 72. Is that the correct behavior?

EDIT: Also - I need to correct an earlier post. I mentioned previously when I took the ball off the playfield and just put it behind the castle door the machine loses the ball and goes into search mode. That's not correct. (I must not have set it down on the switch correctly before.) I just tried the same trick 3 more times and each time the door opened immediately after.

I wonder - is it possible the machine doesn't think the monkey grabbed the ball in the first place? (So the door opens because it senses switch 72 is triggered, but it doesn't think a ball should be there.)

#18 4 years ago

In test mode, that castle door always opens right after I push down on switch 72. Is that the correct behavior?
EDIT: Also - I need to correct an earlier post. I mentioned previously when I took the ball off the playfield and just put it behind the castle door the machine loses the ball and goes into search mode. That's not correct. (I must not have set it down on the switch correctly before.) I just tried the same trick 3 more times and each time the door opened immediately after.
I wonder - is it possible the machine doesn't think the monkey grabbed the ball in the first place? (So the door opens because it senses switch 72 is triggered, but it doesn't think a ball should be there.)

This makes no sense that I can discern at all. It's acting like virtual locks are set. Maybe back up your settings and try a factory reset to see if some setting hasn't been corrupted?

#19 4 years ago

Really a stupid question but are you certain you have the correct amount of balls in the game? As it worked before you took the balls out to install the mod its possible you are missing one.

#20 4 years ago

You can go into the device test and test the money mech, specifically the magnet sense. Check to make sure the game is actually sensing the ball when the magnet picks it up.

#21 4 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Really a stupid question but are you certain you have the correct amount of balls in the game? As it worked before you took the balls out to install the mod its possible you are missing one.

Yeah, that's what I was asking back in post 10, but since he said checked each one with a paperclip after that, I assumed he counted and it was okay.

#22 4 years ago
Quoted from KingPinGames:

You can go into the device test and test the money mech, specifically the magnet sense. Check to make sure the game is actually sensing the ball when the magnet picks it up.

Only a Distributor would suggest checking the Money Mech! lol

#23 4 years ago

So just to be clear - when anyone else pushes down on switch 72 in test mode or in-game while a ball is in play, does the door immediately open right after that?

And I've been giving some thought to the monkey magnet sense. The detection comes on immediately after the magnet is energized rather than a second later after the ball is caught by the magnet. So it's not working exactly right, but I'm not sure if that would be the cause of this problem. (And I'm not looking forward to hours of moving the magnet sense around and testing in between cool-down periods after the magnet overheats.) The magnet sense essentially tells the monkey "Hey - come down here! We got a ball for you!" Right? So in that respect, that seems to be working. (I would think a worse scenario would be if the magnet sense detects nothing at all.) So magnet sense summons monkey, monkey flies down and grabs ball. I assume that's working as designed. (But of course, the freaking door then keeps letting the ball out to negate all the monkey's hard work.)

#24 4 years ago

How soon does the door open after dropping? Could it be the switch isn't registering with a ball and going into ball search and opening the door?

#25 4 years ago

Sorry - it's not search mode.

#26 4 years ago

Also - don't want to derail the thread, but something has been puzzling me after I updated 6.61 to the 7.02 code hoping that would fix this. The sound effect I used to hear when I launch the ball (the sound that plays after the shooter lane switch is triggered then released) isn't always playing anymore. Is that normal? I saw this as an update for version 7.00:

* Improve shooter launch sound logic.

At first I thought the shooter lane switch was sporadically not working, but that tests fine. Was removing the sound effect for some of the opening shots the "improvement"?

#27 4 years ago

Happy New Year! Can anyone confirm for me that pressing down on switch 72 behind the monkey's door should always cause it to open during normal play and test mode? Thanks.

#28 4 years ago

Got to admit, I only skimmed the previous posts, so forgive if this has been suggested, but is the switch behind the castle door flaky or touchy, or giving you anything besides a definitive on/off? If the virtual locks are not enabled, I thought maybe it was sensing a ball already in the castle when the monkey is lifted, or the side of the switch that gets energized when the switch is activated, is shorting against the coil that opens the door. If this started right after the mod install, I would check that switch and it's connections and actuator really close to make sure something isn't loose, broken or shorting.

#29 4 years ago

Happy New Year! Can anyone confirm for me that pressing down on switch 72 behind the monkey's door should always cause it to open during normal play and test mode? Thanks.

If I understand you correctly, I don't think that is the expected behavior. Can you see that switch and wiring under the playfield to make sure it is not shorting somewhere?

#30 4 years ago
Quoted from Manimal:

If I understand you correctly, I don't think that is the expected behavior. Can you see that switch and wiring under the playfield to make sure it is not shorting somewhere?

I don't see any loose wires. So your door doesn't open when you push down on switch 72? Nobody's door opens when they push down on that switch?

#31 4 years ago

I don't see any loose wires. So your door doesn't open when you push down on switch 72? Nobody's door opens when they push down on that switch?

No, the switch registers on the grid, but my door does not open.

#32 4 years ago

Thanks. So that must be a clue to my problem then. I just need to figure out why that door always opens when I press on the switch.

#33 4 years ago

Thanks. So that must be a clue to my problem then. I just need to figure out why that door always opens when I press on the switch.

If it truly did start after the Monkey Mod Install, I would still bet it is a simple short or something similar. You may have to pull that upper playfield.

1 week later
#34 4 years ago

Partially out of desperation, I reverted my game back to an earlier version of 6.06 and then played it a bit to see what would happen. Interestingly, the monkey ball lock behavior is different on this version and it may point to some clues as to what is happening.

In this version, after the monkey captures the ball, the game loses sight of where the ball is and goes into search mode. Only then does the monkey door open in the back of the castle to release the ball.

This got me questioning whether the ball is even triggering switch 72. I experimented a bit with placing a ball behind the door and actually - it's not sitting on that switch when it sits behind the door. It might briefly activate the switch when the monkey drops the ball, but then it sits behind the door OFF the switch.

Also - I had mentioned earlier that this door always opened whenever I pressed switch 72 during a game or in test mode. But what I've come to realize is if I briefly tap it, it registers in the test but the door stays shut. I actually have to hold down on the switch for about a second to force open the door. When the monkey drops my ball at the castle, the switch would only activate very briefly so the switch itself must not have been causing the door to open in that scenario. So in the newer code releases it seems the game is just opening the door because the monkey made the complete round trip with the ball.

So in light of all this I have two questions:

1. When the ball is locked is it supposed to sit behind the door but NOT directly on the switch?
2. I was able to get confirmation from Manimal that his door doesn't open when he pushes this switch, but it would seem a quick tap actually doesn't open it. When others hold down on the switch for 1 second in test mode - what happens? Does your door stay closed?

#35 4 years ago

It should sit directly on the switch and code will open the doors when multi ball is achieved. Have you contacted jjp support yet? Maybe a bad switch but I’d adjust the switch first and make sure in test mode the switch is activated with a ball sitting in there first.

#36 4 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

Maybe a bad switch

Or wired wrong.

LTG : )

#37 4 years ago

I just saw this thread. My WOZ RR is doing exactly the same thing. Was working OK up until a few days ago. Now my castle door is doing exactly the same thing. During gameplay when the monkey drops the ball behind the castle door, the door opens. Every time. Haven't had a time to do a deep dive on whats happening, but will get into it more tomorrow. As I remember during test mode, dropping the ball behind the door activated the switch and then opened the door. I've been in contact with my distributor and we're trying to work through it. I believe he's been in touch with JJP but I'm not sure. Will look at it tomorrow but thought it was interesting that mine started doing EXACTLY what yours is doing just today. Appreciate any help...thanks.

#38 4 years ago

I adjusted the switch behind the door. It was registering sporadically (by finger and by ball). Moved it up a little and now all is working. Also had to tweak the switch to the left of it as it was sticking. All is good now. Good luck with yours. Hopefully that will help.

#39 4 years ago

"DOROTHY CAPTURED" Like Hogey said, I had to bend the switch a little so it would always register when the ball was sitting behind the door and now it finally locks properly. It's funny all this time I assumed the switch worked because the door kept opening, but once I tried it with older code and the game went into search mode I knew I was close to figuring it out.

Hopefully this little experience helps others.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
9,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Santa Maria, CA
$ 225.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 85.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Machine - For Sale
St. Clair Shores, MI
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 345.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

13,000 (OBO)
$ 91.00
$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/woz-issues-bad-monkey-very-very-bad-monkey?hl=manimal and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.