• 28 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by DaveH
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0686.JPG
There are 53 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 10 years ago

Someone here posted about this on another thread. He said the lower pop ring scrapes against the ball guide on/near the crystal ball, leaving metal shaving to get spread all over the playfield. Sure enough I looked close at mine and he was right. Sparkly metal shavings around the loop by the spinner and the crystal ball and all around that pop area. I was able to pickup the shavings with a slightly damp cloth and it looks ok, and doesn't appear to be ground into the clear at this point but this is really a weak design. He also said that he took out the pop ring, and ground it down with a dremel, so it no long rubs on the ball guide, but I don't want to do that. First of all the thought of tearing down a pop on my brand new game doesn't thrill me and also that would weaken the pop ring assembly, and could cause problems later on. I decided to put a small dab of teflon grease on the area where the metal touches and that seems to help, but this is a definite problem... The area I put the teflon lube is in an area that the ball cannot get to, so it won't spread or anything just keep the metal from scraping/shaving at least for a while. Can anyone else confirm that their game does or does not have this problem?
Suggestions to fix without tearing things down?

Thanks,

Tom

#2 10 years ago

I had the same issue and just cut the pop ring. Took all of two minutes and will fix the problem of the ring rubbing against the guide. The integrity of the pop is in no way affected and the pop action is a lot better. I wouldn't hesitate if I was an owner.

Pic looks like shit but in the game it could pass as factory.

IMG_0686.JPGIMG_0686.JPG

#3 10 years ago

What did you use to cut it?

#4 10 years ago

I just looked at mine and though I only have about 30-40 games on it so far, I don't see it rubbing. I only post that because my game was made on Nov 23rd. Perhaps they fixed the clearance. It's still close, but I don't see the silver bits and it does not look like it's rubbing on that lane piece.

#5 10 years ago

Taylor, that area is pretty much hidden anyway so as you said in game it should look ok. How did you cut it? if you did it with a dremel did you take it off the game? How did you avoid getting more metal shaving in the game is so?
I'm thinking of bending it up a bit or bending the ball guide in slightly but I'm scared! Like to know how you did that.

Thanks for posting the pic!@

Tom

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from clg:

What did you use to cut it?

cutoff wheel on a dremel

You only have to remove two screws from the underside of the playfield, pull out ring and zip!
Really nothing to it.

I do appreciate someone not wanting to do this but it plays way better with the clearance.

Quoted from toro1966:

I just looked at mine and though I only have about 30-40 games on it so far, I don't see it rubbing. I only post that because my game was made on Nov 23rd. Perhaps they fixed the clearance. It's still close, but I don't see the silver bits and it does not look like it's rubbing on that lane piece.

Could you post a pic?

#7 10 years ago

Toro, my game was Oct 29th so it is possible they have since adjusted it. It is really close in my game though I'm thinking maybe I can loosen up the ball guide a bit and maybe be able to adjust it just enough to avoid having to cut the pop ring. That could compromise the strength and integrity of the ring and cause it to warp out with time...

Tom

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from homebrood:

Taylor, that area is pretty much hidden anyway so as you said in game it should look ok. How did you cut it? if you did it with a dremel did you take it off the game? How did you avoid getting more metal shaving in the game is so?
I'm thinking of bending it up a bit or bending the ball guide in slightly but I'm scared! Like to know how you did that.
Thanks for posting the pic!@
Tom

Take it out of the game for sure. I thought about bending it but didn't want to put pressure on the ring legs as the place that the threads start can be prone to breaking if flexed too much.

You cannot see the cut from the player's perspective.

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from homebrood:

Toro, my game was Oct 29th so it is possible they have since adjusted it. It is really close in my game though I'm thinking maybe I can loosen up the ball guide a bit and maybe be able to adjust it just enough to avoid having to cut the pop ring. That could compromise the strength and integrity of the ring and cause it to warp out with time...
Tom

There is some natural slop in the pop mech that may still make it rub. Worse case scenario if you sell the game is to toss in a new pop ring for $4.

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

cutoff wheel on a dremel

PHUCK YEAH ! LMAO ..... Where is Alex ??

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from homebrood:

I'm thinking of bending it up a bit or bending the ball guide in slightly but I'm scared! Like to know how you did that...

I don't know what the official JJP solution is, but this was my thought when I was shown the issue. It won't take much of a slight bend forward of the ball guide to keep things from rubbing. Shouldn't affect anything else.

I think from the factory, everything is fine, and there's enough clearance. Over time the weight of the assembly with the tree brings it forward a bit resulting in rubbing. They should trim the bumper ring at the factory like Taylor's picture shows to keep it from ever happening.

--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics
http://LockWhenLit.com
Quality Board Work - In Home Service
borygard at gmail dot com

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

PHUCK YEAH ! LMAO ..... Where is Alex ??

You don't know? You really are a shitty stalker.

#13 10 years ago

I think you're right Rob, I think with time is loosens up the parts enough to rub. It is normal for pops to have some slop as taylor did mention. It does look like a slight gentle bend to the ball guide might be enough. It only hits at the top of the stroke then as it pulls down seems to pull away so I think just a little bend will do it. I'll report back how It works out either way. I think it was you Taylor that first pointed this out and for that I thank you! It seems to me if it went much longer there would be serious playfield damage but I think with your help I caught it in time!

Thanks for the input from everyone,

Tom

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

cutoff wheel on a dremel

Be prepared to be attacked by Alex Levy for using a Dremel on a pinball machine!

Edit: missed the other posts. lol

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

You don't know? You really are a shitty stalker.

LOL

#16 10 years ago

Another one on my ignore list.

#17 10 years ago

Aren't you going to give Taylor a bunch of crap for using a Dremel on a pinball machine to fix a factory defect like you have done with McCune??

#18 10 years ago

A small upward bend to the pop would fix this.... Am I wrong? It seams like you would not notice such a slight bend.

RobT... Alex.... Are you guys done yet?

#19 10 years ago

Hilarious.

#20 10 years ago
Quoted from PEN:

A small upward bend to the pop would fix this.... Am I wrong? It seams like you would not notice such a slight bend.
RobT... Alex.... Are you guys done yet?

I didn't even respond to him . Don't bring me in this.

#21 10 years ago

Ok Ok, haha you guys are totes cool.

Anywho, It seems that a slight bend to the ball guide fixes it! Not the pop! the ball guide!!! Unkay!?

I'm still glad my man Taylor pointed this out or I would have not noticed until I had a ruined playfield!!!

All fixed that thanks Tay Tay!!!

Tom

#22 10 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

I didn't even respond to him . Don't bring me in this.

Sorry man

#23 10 years ago
Quoted from homebrood:

Ok Ok, haha you guys are totes cool.
Anywho, It seems that a slight bend to the ball guide fixes it! Not the pop! the ball guide!!! Unkay!?
I'm still glad my man Taylor pointed this out or I would have not noticed until I had a ruined playfield!!!
All fixed that thanks Tay Tay!!!
Tom

Bending the pop slightly won't work? Why not?

#24 10 years ago
Quoted from PEN:

Bending the pop slightly won't work? Why not?

I think given the shape of the ring and how thick the metal is, bending it might be difficult. I personally would take the route Taylor took...

#25 10 years ago

bending the pop was not needed cause bending the ball guide fixed it.
bend the pop ring and it's bent then! Bend the ball guide back on it's mounts and it works and does not appear to be bent...

That's why!!

Tom

#27 10 years ago

Pretty simple fix, take off the ball guide, bend the legs just slightly, takes care of the problem.

I think they wanted the pop bumpers to have lots of action, they seem a little looser than normal ones to me, add to that the extra weight of the trees and you get the rubbing. Since this issue has been known for a awhile now, I suspect the factory has made the necessary adjustment and newer machines won't be affected, a little consolation for those still waiting for their games

#28 10 years ago
Quoted from homebrood:

..........It is really close in my game though I'm thinking maybe I can loosen up the ball guide a bit and maybe be able to adjust it just enough to avoid having to cut the pop ring. That could compromise the strength and integrity of the ring and cause it to warp out with time...
Tom

Trimming pop rings have been done in the past without issue (Star Trek The Next Generation). I noticed the metal shavings on my WoZ, removed the pop ring (just 2 nuts), and trimmed the ring with a bench grinder. I actually had to trim two flat spots as there was also metal contact on the straight side of the ball guide. It was a 10 minute permanent fix.

Terry

#29 10 years ago

I would mark the area with a Sharpie marker...

(before removing it and heading to the grinder or Dremel tool)

#30 10 years ago

Is taking a Dremel to the game considered "dialing it in"?

....just wondering so I know what to ask all the sellers that have been popping up lately. It's no wonder why.

#31 10 years ago
Quoted from MrDo:

Is taking a Dremel to the game considered "dialing it in"?
....just wondering so I know what to ask all the sellers that have been popping up lately. It's no wonder why.

Yes it is. Your not new to the hobby so why the surprise?

#32 10 years ago

Would it be better if JJP sent out precut pop rings for people to install? How many of the titles that you own needed changes to protect the integrity of the game? Added mylar or upgraded switches or protectors for what now seems like an obvious design flaw.

#33 10 years ago

Cool thanks!

Ok my game's fixed now people, so never mind!!! OK!!!!?

Tom

#34 10 years ago

Pop rings are items that need to be replaced on a regular basis anyway. They threaded part breaks off the leg, or the ring itself wears through and bends.

If JJP won't send one out to everyone, just buy one on your next PBL order, grind or file it, and then install it.

Keep the original one for next time.

#35 10 years ago

I just had a look at mine. Not only is the bottom one contacting the ball guide, but the top position one is contacting the witch housing bracket tab. Great.

#36 10 years ago

I trimmed mine with a dremel,.. Took about 5 minutes and completely fixed the issue.

Ps. Take the time after you trim the ring with a cut off wheel to round and smooth the edges.

#37 10 years ago
Quoted from generalgman:

I just had a look at mine. Not only is the bottom one contacting the ball guide, but the top position one is contacting the witch housing bracket tab. Great.

I know right!? I can't believe they made these games and still were able to overlook something so simple! This is bad, really, really bad.. Any idiot, would at least make sure there was NO CHANCE, of any metal to metal contact with the ball guides and any mechs! A pop ring scraping on a ball guide out of the box!!! WTF? I mean Come on! This is just really unreal!!! Throw in a 1/4 inch there and the problem is non existent!!!!! No excuse whatsoever for this!!!/

Tom

#38 10 years ago
Quoted from homebrood:

I know right!? I can't believe they made these games and still were able to overlook something so simple! This is bad, really, really bad.. Any idiot, would at least make sure there was NO CHANCE, of any metal to metal contact with the ball guides and any mechs! A pop ring scraping on a ball guide out of the box!!! WTF? I mean Come on! This is just really unreal!!! Throw in a 1/4 inch there and the problem is non existent!!!!! No excuse whatsoever for this!!!/
Tom

Go thorough the history of pinball and all kinds of games have issues like this. Not making excuses but it happens.

#39 10 years ago

I suspect that something changed in the pop bumper design somewhere along the way, probably a minor alteration in a spec, and unfortunately, caused an unforeseen problem. These kind of things happen in manufacturing sometimes, not an excuse, just a reality. JJP will learn from a mistake like this, and get better.

#40 10 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

Go thorough the history of pinball and all kinds of games have issues like this. Not making excuses but it happens.

By now, though, wouldn't you expect manufacturers to achieve more? CAD, experience, etc.....

#41 10 years ago
Quoted from pinstor12:

By now, though, wouldn't you expect manufacturers to achieve more? CAD, experience, etc.....

Frankly it seems like the inherent slop in the mech could be what is causing the mech to ring to rub the ball guide.

#42 10 years ago

Mine isn't making contact, but thanks for the heads up. I'll keep an eye out for it.

#43 10 years ago

So glad I found this thread as I didn't even notice it happening but as soon as I checked sure enough it was rubbing, ran a damp paper towel across the pf and sure enough little shinny specs.

Easy fix though, just marked it with a sharpie, removed the two screws, and took the dremel to it. Didn't take much and is not noticeable unless staring right at it and you know that its been done.

#44 10 years ago

Anyone expecting perfection from the manufacturers of these machines should really consider getting out of the hobby. There are simply too many moving parts and complex electronics for things to be designed and executed perfectly.

Even with the budget/time/expertise, some NASA team missed the fact that the O-Rings in the shuttle were going to have issues when it was cold.

The good news is this issue is easy to fix and we can move on.

But....constructive feedback to JJP as well as some patience while they work through their first machine would help all. Overall, I feel they are the best out there right now. But that is just my opinion.

#45 10 years ago
Quoted from iamabearsfan:

some NASA team missed the fact that the O-Rings in the shuttle were going to have issues when it was cold.

No, they just ignored that fact and were told not to launch at those temperatures buy the manufacture of the rocket boosters .

#46 10 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

No, they just ignored that fact and were told not to launch at those temperatures buy the manufacture of the rocket boosters .

Along these lines, did you hear about Beyounce using sampling audio from the space shuttle Challenger disaster?

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/beyonce-slammed-sampling-shuttle-tragedy-album/story?id=21365376

Skip to 1:15 in the video

#47 10 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

iamabearsfan said:
some NASA team missed the fact that the O-Rings in the shuttle were going to have issues when it was cold.

More complicated than that. Also, the engineering failure wasn't NASA: the solid rocket boosters were provided on spec by a contractor, which firm suffered from engineering problems due to management leaning on the engineers. They were aware that the O-rings suffered from problems for many flights before the challenger disaster, but convinced themselves that it wasn't a big deal for no (technically) good reason.

#48 10 years ago

We are talking about a pop ring in a pinball machine here folks...

#49 10 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

I keep tellin' them it ain't rocket science.

#50 10 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

Something like this for $5.50 although I do not know if that is an exact match:

http://bayareaamusements.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=BM-4754

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Stephenson, VA
$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 395.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 3.75
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

13,000 (OBO)
Flipper Parts
FlipMods

11,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Spokane Valley, WA
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 345.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 5.00
$ 91.00
Electronics
Skillshot Combo

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 53 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/woz-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.