• Latest reply 11 years ago by mechslave
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

f1ad0663ed0b3cb12cd24f2df443acf5.png
497px-Don_King.jpg
There are 85 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 11 years ago
Quoted from shacklersrevenge:

Axl never left the band, he took control of it. Duff and Slash had serious substance abuse problems, and this is where it gets hairy '' We left because AXL was a dictator ''
Well..maybe if you wern't drinking a bottle of Jack and shooting up until you pass out..everyday...
It always amazes me that the GN'R pinball actually exists, because of how difficult it was to get any of them to do anything.
Chinese Democracy is actually a very good, solid album. Very different.

Nobody ever brings that up when Duff and Slash do interviews, either. Nobody has the balls. At the end of that UYI tour, they were barely over 30yo, and because of the alcohol levels fueled by coke both Slash and Duff were literally dying. Slash had to have a pacemaker, seriously, a pacemaker installed. Duff's insides rotted out, and his pancreas nearly exploded. They were marrying crackheads and F-list actresses, and Axl demanded ownership of Guns because he didn't want to be partners with these crazy new wives. Makes perfect sense to me.

Axl stands mute on the whole thing, and it doesn't seem to bother him that the general public regards him as completely insane, while viewing Slash and Duff as these do-gooder working class musicians who were forced out of their band. When in reality, when both quit, one was a full blown junkie and the other clinging to fragile sobriety, focusing on their own solo projects and on a Guns new album not at all. Pretty funny.

Very disfunctional, and a lot of blame to go around, but it's just funny when you read the mis-informed opinions of the general public on Guns/Axl/the breakup/etc.

#52 11 years ago
Quoted from musketd:

I just think WOZ was doomed from the start because of the very bad theme and layout
1 ramp WTF?

You're right. 1 ramp.. Wtf... A few machines by your savior the king only had 1 ramp, one of which is credited with the revival of pinball in the 80's... But yeah. Wtf 1 ramp.

Clueless.

#53 11 years ago

Cmon Alex. You can make a valid point without getting upset ; )

#54 11 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

Cmon Alex. You can make a valid point without getting upset ; )

You are right. My bad.

#55 11 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

A few machines by your savior the king only had 1 ramp

Jesus made pinball machines?

#56 11 years ago
Quoted from trilogybeer:

I hear he built a hotrod!

#57 11 years ago
Quoted from trilogybeer:

Yes, he built them in Chicago before he left for New Orleans.

#58 11 years ago
Quoted from tracelifter:

Yes, he built them in Chicago before he left for New Orleans.

Nice! (they should have never remastered Tres Hombres)

#59 11 years ago
Quoted from trilogybeer:

Yup and then he was crucified by Pontius pinside for having only 1 ramp. Lol

#60 11 years ago
Quoted from mechslave:

Nobody ever brings that up when Duff and Slash do interviews, either. Nobody has the balls. At the end of that UYI tour, they were barely over 30yo, and because of the alcohol levels fueled by coke both Slash and Duff were literally dying. Slash had to have a pacemaker, seriously, a pacemaker installed. Duff's insides rotted out, and his pancreas nearly exploded. They were marrying crackheads and F-list actresses, and Axl demanded ownership of Guns because he didn't want to be partners with these crazy new wives. Makes perfect sense to me.
Axl stands mute on the whole thing, and it doesn't seem to bother him that the general public regards him as completely insane, while viewing Slash and Duff as these do-gooder working class musicians who were forced out of their band. When in reality, when both quit, one was a full blown junkie and the other clinging to fragile sobriety, focusing on their own solo projects and on a Guns new album not at all. Pretty funny.
Very disfunctional, and a lot of blame to go around, but it's just funny when you read the mis-informed opinions of the general public on Guns/Axl/the breakup/etc.

If you remove every band that had junkies there would have been no good music. I don't condone drug use but comon, sex, drugs and rock-n-roll. Plus you're completely ignoring that Axl didn't have any of the druggies around while taking 10+ years to make the most expensive cd in history that was just ok IMO (although critics and sales numbers tend to agree with me.) If Axl booted those guys, created a kick-ass cd in 5 or less years I would have to agree with you. But he went through musicians like scott weiland went through drugs and faded into oblivion. Give the complete GNR lineup the credit they are due.

#61 11 years ago

Scott Weiland really didn't fade into oblivion. Actually the opposite.

The guy sold 22 million records through stp and VR. Won a few Grammys.

I'd love to say Eddie Vedder disappeared into oblivious because after VS. they just started to really suck. (Note there are a couple of ok songs on vitalogy)

#62 11 years ago

You're in the jungle baby....You're gonna dieeeeeet.

f1ad0663ed0b3cb12cd24f2df443acf5.pngf1ad0663ed0b3cb12cd24f2df443acf5.png

#63 11 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

Scott Weiland really didn't fade into oblivion. Actually the opposite.
The guy sold 22 million records through stp and VR. Won a few Grammys.
I'd love to say Eddie Vedder disappeared into oblivious because after VS. they just started to really suck. (Note there are a couple of ok songs on vitalogy)

Axl faded, not Scott.

#64 11 years ago

Weiland didn't sell anything in vr, the rest of the band did. He sucks.

#65 11 years ago

I saw Alice in Chains in '91, then Anthrax, Megadeth, and Slayer came out and made everybody forget. STP was a clone.

#66 11 years ago

Stp was a pj clone.

#67 11 years ago

Also anthrax megadeth and slayer were out a long time before 91 lol

#68 11 years ago
Quoted from extraballingtmc:

Also anthrax megadeth and slayer were out a long time before 91 lol

I think he was talking about the tour in '91 when AIC opened up for all those guys.

#69 11 years ago
Quoted from krupa:

I think he was talking about the tour in '91 when AIC opened up for all those guys.

Yes I was. Thank you! How much more do you need in one show. Another one that comes to mind was Exodus, Suicidal Tendencies, and Pantera at UC Irvine a short time thereafter.

#70 11 years ago

Funny Stern ACDC makes you forget about all the rest. Can't mis what you don't have.

#71 11 years ago
Quoted from chessiv:

If you remove every band that had junkies there would have been no good music. I don't condone drug use but comon, sex, drugs and rock-n-roll.

You're confusing the romanticism of the Stones, Stooges, etc and their chasing the dragon approach to music with what Slash and Duff were doing. They left for the UYI tour as functional alcoholics and came home nearly dead from the cocaine/alcohol combo. Neither could get out of bed without a drink/snort. They famously made a drink before they went to bed, because they'd be shaking too badly to make it when they woke up. The level of play of the band suffered as well. Anyone who followed the UYI tour could see the music slip into 'plodding' instead of a swinging rock band. That's from 3 musicians trying to keep the amount of alcohol in their system required to stav off the DT's, and yet fuel up with the amount of coke necessary to perform and function. 2.5 years later, both Slash and Duff were closing in on death.

Quoted from chessiv:

Plus you're completely ignoring that Axl didn't have any of the druggies around while taking 10+ years to make the most expensive cd in history that was just ok IMO (although critics and sales numbers tend to agree with me.)

Axl took a long time, and there's no accounting for why it took the final 8 years or so. Most of us heard ChiDem, without Sorry and Scraped, around 2000-01. And it was exactly the same mixes as the release, or very nearly, same vocals. But that wasn't the point I was making. We all KNOW that Axl has some issues. But everyone ignores the issues he had to deal with. Namely the addictions of Slash/Duff. Have you ever tried to communicate with a drunk person while sober? Everyone piles all the blame on Axl, and some of it he's earned. I wasn't ignoring that, simply giving a different perspective that nobody but real Guns fans usually understand. Not to mention, he had to basically rebuild the entire band and try to release an album to the level of the name GNR. A tough task. He basically started around 97. I believe the reason it took from 2003-2008 was lawsuits and things like that. He hinted at as much in an online chat he did around 2008.

Quoted from chessiv:

If Axl booted those guys, created a kick-ass cd in 5 or less years I would have to agree with you.

Once again, this is what a lot of general fans believe. But, once again, Axl did not boot anyone. In fact, he begged Slash to stay, took him to dinner, called him around the clock, called his father, his mom, etc... begging him not to leave the band. Duff was sober when he quit (a year later) and there was no band activity at the time, so it was less of a blow to Axl who I think knew he'd have to completely rebuild the band anyway, with Slash gone. It was Slash who he knew would throw the future of the band into total rebuilding, which is why he begged him to stay. Basically the opposite of 'booting.'

Quoted from chessiv:

But he went through musicians like scott weiland went through drugs and faded into oblivion. Give the complete GNR lineup the credit they are due.

Nobody is taking any credit from any version of GNR. I've followed the band since they broke when I was in 8th grade, to now. I was called into the VP's office wearing the infamous "rape scene" Guns shirt in 9th grade, and had to turn it inside out (still own the shirt, sells for hundreds now). I've never not been a huge Guns fan, and forgot more about the band than most will ever know. I was not over the moon about ChiDem, but like I said, by the time it was released, we'd all heard most of it for years... it wasn't some huge anticipation for hardcore Guns fans. The only songs we were surprised by were Sorry and Scraped, which are good songs, not great.

The album itself is very good, but was digested slowly through leaks and bootlegs for so long that the drama of the final release was lost, lessening not only what you get to see and hear but the 'wow' factor of the ultimate unveiling....

The most similar factor between ChiDem and WOZ will be that. WOZ has been slowly unveiled and updated over such a long period of time that it seems tame by now. If Jack had waited (wasn't an option I know) to unveil everything all at once, well everyone would be convulsing on the ground, rolling around, hurting with anticipation for a imminent release. Instead the slow digestion has deflated what we all see, especially when we can't play it properly, in a completed state.

#72 11 years ago

I guess it was just me that thought the OP was refering to a democratic government in the country of China , Not the kind of GNR album.

#73 11 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

Yup and then he was crucified by Pontius pinside for having only 1 ramp. Lol

Are you an airline Pilate?

#74 11 years ago

I heard WOZ was going to ship with a free copy of Half-Life 3.

#75 11 years ago

Axl and Izzy were the real talent behind G'N'r Slash admits he can't write a song to save his life. If slash was so great why has he written no good songs since 1993 and don't tell me the Snake Pit or that fake Super-group who had writers outside the band count for anything. Look at the song credits of your fav Gnr songs you'll see what I am talking about! Also Chinese Democracy is Brilliant! I've been a musician and in bands for over 20 years and that is my favorite album in the last 10. I am going to put it on now!!!! Better, Steet of Dreams, There was a time nobody in this forum that knows anything about music can listen to these 3 songs and say they suck or aren't up to GNR standard! AXL FOREVER!!

#76 11 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

I heard WOZ was going to ship with a free copy of Half-Life 3.

And Charlie's Signature on every cabinet!!

#77 11 years ago
Quoted from mechslave:

You're confusing the romanticism of the Stones, Stooges, etc and their chasing the dragon approach to music with what Slash and Duff were doing. They left for the UYI tour as functional alcoholics and came home nearly dead from the cocaine/alcohol combo. Neither could get out of bed without a drink/snort. They famously made a drink before they went to bed, because they'd be shaking too badly to make it when they woke up. The level of play of the band suffered as well. Anyone who followed the UYI tour could see the music slip into 'plodding' instead of a swinging rock band. That's from 3 musicians trying to keep the amount of alcohol in their system required to stav off the DT's, and yet fuel up with the amount of coke necessary to perform and function. 2.5 years later, both Slash and Duff were closing in on death.

Axl took a long time, and there's no accounting for why it took the final 8 years or so. Most of us heard ChiDem, without Sorry and Scraped, around 2000-01. And it was exactly the same mixes as the release, or very nearly, same vocals. But that wasn't the point I was making. We all KNOW that Axl has some issues. But everyone ignores the issues he had to deal with. Namely the addictions of Slash/Duff. Have you ever tried to communicate with a drunk person while sober? Everyone piles all the blame on Axl, and some of it he's earned. I wasn't ignoring that, simply giving a different perspective that nobody but real Guns fans usually understand. Not to mention, he had to basically rebuild the entire band and try to release an album to the level of the name GNR. A tough task. He basically started around 97. I believe the reason it took from 2003-2008 was lawsuits and things like that. He hinted at as much in an online chat he did around 2008.

Once again, this is what a lot of general fans believe. But, once again, Axl did not boot anyone. In fact, he begged Slash to stay, took him to dinner, called him around the clock, called his father, his mom, etc... begging him not to leave the band. Duff was sober when he quit (a year later) and there was no band activity at the time, so it was less of a blow to Axl who I think knew he'd have to completely rebuild the band anyway, with Slash gone. It was Slash who he knew would throw the future of the band into total rebuilding, which is why he begged him to stay. Basically the opposite of 'booting.'

Nobody is taking any credit from any version of GNR. I've followed the band since they broke when I was in 8th grade, to now. I was called into the VP's office wearing the infamous "rape scene" Guns shirt in 9th grade, and had to turn it inside out (still own the shirt, sells for hundreds now). I've never not been a huge Guns fan, and forgot more about the band than most will ever know. I was not over the moon about ChiDem, but like I said, by the time it was released, we'd all heard most of it for years... it wasn't some huge anticipation for hardcore Guns fans. The only songs we were surprised by were Sorry and Scraped, which are good songs, not great.
The album itself is very good, but was digested slowly through leaks and bootlegs for so long that the drama of the final release was lost, lessening not only what you get to see and hear but the 'wow' factor of the ultimate unveiling....
The most similar factor between ChiDem and WOZ will be that. WOZ has been slowly unveiled and updated over such a long period of time that it seems tame by now. If Jack had waited (wasn't an option I know) to unveil everything all at once, well everyone would be convulsing on the ground, rolling around, hurting with anticipation for a imminent release. Instead the slow digestion has deflated what we all see, especially when we can't play it properly, in a completed state.

Your story leads back to no one wanted to work with axl. Because he was a great guy? I highly doubt it. All the other gnr guys still get along and make great music with other bands. Axl still goes through musicians like water further proving he's the problem in the first place..

#78 11 years ago
Quoted from PismoArcade:

I bought several copies at the dollar store a couple of months ago and gave them away to friends.

Its b/c you don't know what good music is!!!! Nobody talks crap on AXL around me!! HAHA

#79 11 years ago
Quoted from chessiv:

Your story leads back to no one wanted to work with axl. Because he was a great guy? I highly doubt it. All the other gnr guys still get along and make great music with other bands. Axl still goes through musicians like water further proving he's the problem in the first place..

What "GREAT" music has Slash or Duff made, am I missing something? The only song that was half-way good on Velvet Rev. was "Fall to Pieces". Matt Sorum is a studio drummer at best and Izzy the 2nd half of the real talent in Guns quit b/c he hated playing with Matt.

#80 11 years ago
Quoted from kporter946286:

What "GREAT" music has Slash or Duff made, am I missing something? The only song that was half-way good on Velvet Rev. was "Fall to Pieces". Matt Sorum is a studio drummer at best and Izzy the 2nd half of the real talent in Guns quit b/c he hated playing with Matt.

I like velvet revolver and slash's solo cd. Matt is a studio drummer at best? Do you know that most studio musicians are technically some of the best musicians around. All steely Dan albums were made with studio musicians.

#81 11 years ago

BETTER............Greatest song yet.

#82 11 years ago
Quoted from PinCrush:

Thats because it wasn't Guns 'n Roses. Chinese Democracy would have been taken more seriously had he called the band "The Axl Rose Project" or something.

So Stern pinball shouldn't be call Stern pinball b/c its not all the original guys?

#83 11 years ago

Slashs last two solo albums are excellent. Surprised no one has mentioned them yet. Myles Kennedy is just as good as axl was too.

#84 11 years ago
Quoted from extraballingtmc:

Slashs last two solo albums are excellent. Surprised no one has mentioned them yet. Myles Kennedy is just as good as axl was too.

Yeah b/c Myles Kennedy has sold 50,000,000 records and is a household name like AXL. He's a bum and Slash is a hack. Name 1 song that Slash has sole credits on. All he's ever done is contribute a solo or lead lick and he gets so much undeserved credit for what he is and does. He's nothing more than a brand and Pepsi can. I guess if you were a top hat and can use a Wah-Wah pedal during the 80's and have a good PR dept you can fool the world into thinking you have talent. Oh and he likes snakes. I got to get out of this thread I just can't stand Slash. Axl and Izzy were the real talent of that band from day 1.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 85.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Burlingame, CA
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Stephenson, VA
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 225.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.99
Hardware
Classic Game Rooms

Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

11,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Spokane Valley, WA
$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 100.00
Boards
Led Pinball

$ 395.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 345.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 91.00
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 9,800.00
Pinball Machine
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 85 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/woz-is-the-chinese-democracy-of-the-pinball-world/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.