Topic Stats

• 38 posts
  • 27 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by JeffA
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

Just took a walk over to the museum to play a few games of WOZ and it's gone. A gift shop worker told me it had been breaking down too much and they were always waiting for new parts. One day it went "poof" and started smoking, so they had it removed.

Sucks, was looking forward to a few free games this afternoon.

#2 4 years ago

Well that sucks but without maintenance all games break. I think that game had a TON of plays but I could be wrong

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

A gift shop worker told me it had been breaking down too much and they were always waiting for new parts. One day it went "poof" and started smoking,

SHOCKER.

#4 4 years ago

NOOOOOOOOOOO. Very sad. They do have a WOZ in DC at the Black Cat http://www.blackcatdc.com ,in good shape too, but it is not set on free play

#5 4 years ago

Maintenance there has always been an issue. The game gets huge play, and no one there is really skilled at pinball repair. Or wants to do even basic things.

JJP has had two different people who would go there to fix things. And often parts were sent over night. And spare parts were on hand there.

No idea if the game will return there.

LTG : )

#6 4 years ago

Things that go poof and catch fire won't last long in a museum.
Something every gameroom should have on the wall is a Halon fire extinguisher like this one.
Halon will not damage electronics.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/htr-hg250r/overview/

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from tracelifter:

Things that go poof and catch fire won't last long in a museum.
Something every gameroom should have on the wall is a Halon fire extinguisher like this one.
Halon will not damage electronics.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/htr-hg250r/overview/

Good call. I have one in all my cars for that just in case moment I need it or someone around me does. Got one in the kitchen too but not in the gameroom. Cheap insure for sure. May lose one machine but hopefully prevents damage to more than one machine or your whole house.

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Maintenance there has always been an issue. The game gets huge play, and no one there is really skilled at pinball repair. Or wants to do even basic things.
JJP has had two different people who would go there to fix things. And often parts were sent over night. And spare parts were on hand there.

I'm curious...what do you consider "huge play"? I recently had one of my pins on location and it was played 2000 times in 2 weeks.

#9 4 years ago

Man thats a game every 10 minutes 24 hours a day for 2 weeks. I would say that is a good earning location

Or more likely a game every 5 minutes for the 12 hours a day most locations are open.

#10 4 years ago

While in town go to Lyman's Tavern in Columbia Heights. By far, best place to play in town. A few Stern LEs, plus some older classics (Judge Dredd, Road Show... even a Twister)

#11 4 years ago

Twister has left the building i believe, but AFM may be on its way back

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

If it ever goes back, I'd be happy to install any parts and check on it once a week or as called. I work right across from the museum on the other side of the mall.

Shouldn't be put on free play though, at least a quarter so it doesn't have constant play from kids walking by. It is in a gift shop, so at least paying a quarter is reasonable.

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from jamieflowers:

Man thats a game every 10 minutes 24 hours a day for 2 weeks. I would say that is a good earning location
Or more likely a game every 5 minutes for the 12 hours a day most locations are open.

Unfortunately, I wasn't earning anything

I donated a few of my machines to spice up the opening of a local arcade (where you pay $10 for each hour of unlimited "free play"). Very high foot traffic (obviously). So high that I decided to pull them after 2 weeks. Important to note that many clueless folks push the start button too many times and walk away soon after. Have to admit that I felt proud that my pins held up great after the intense use. A pop bumper plunger broke and a flipper wire needed to be re-soldered. Other than that, no issues...

snaroff

#14 4 years ago

Maybe it went back home to Kansas

#15 4 years ago

FYI if you want to see when new pins are put on location in DC/MD/VA, follow @FSPApinball on the twitters - we auto-post any change to the pinball map. And we post pinball stuff relevant to the mid-atlantic area.

https://twitter.com/fspapinball
@FSPApinball

#16 4 years ago

Lymans in DC now has a super cool Tron, and coming soon an outdoor patio to boot.

#17 4 years ago

I was in DC a couple weekends ago and was disappointed to not see the WOZ in the museum but I'd rather them pull it then let it sit there not working 100%.

I don't think this is a WOZ thing as much as it is a location thing, location games need upkeep and anything in the Smithsonian should be in top working condition.

#18 4 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

I don't think this is a WOZ thing as much as it is a location thing, location games need upkeep and anything in the Smithsonian should be in top working condition.

No it's a WOZ "Thing". Why do the same 5 guys show up to rescue WOZ in every post?

#19 4 years ago
Quoted from 2RustyBalls:

No it's a WOZ "Thing". Why do the same 5 guys show up to rescue WOZ in every post?

Hey, man! I haven't shown up yet to res--

Ah, shit.

#20 4 years ago
Quoted from 2RustyBalls:

...and the same 5 jump on the chance to attack it.

If it IS a WOZ "Thing", we'll see another pin in the Smithsonian soon, right?

#21 4 years ago
Quoted from 2RustyBalls:

Why do the same woz bashers show up in every woz post??

You have a pinball machine in a public place in a national park that's on free play. What could possibly go wrong??

#22 4 years ago

Because the same people love it and the same people hate it : )

#23 4 years ago

When they say "it was removed"...where was it removed to? Some warehouse with a bunch of other stuff? Did JJP have the game on loan and it was sent back to JJP?

#24 4 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Just took a walk over to the museum to play a few games of WOZ and it's gone. A gift shop worker told me it had been breaking down too much and they were always waiting for new parts. One day it went "poof" and started smoking, so they had it removed.
Sucks, was looking forward to a few free games this afternoon.

Jump on JJP/WOZ time I guess.

Truth is the game was there more than 18 months with an average of 1,000 plays a week - on free play.

The game almost never broke. The manager there did minor service and Jeff Green went there too as the play field was almost always black - the exact game is at iPlay America as a Pindemption software game and is kicking ass.

The game left as the 75th Anniversary WOZ event ended - so the gift shop rotated a new display in that area.

It was a big success! Oh - Pinball machines do need service now and then - big surprise!

#25 4 years ago

And as Jack knows, the one at Silverball Museum has tens of thousands of plays and hardly ever needs maintenance.

#26 4 years ago
Quoted from JerseyJack:

Truth is the game was there more than 18 months with an average of 1,000 plays a week - on free play.
The game almost never broke. The manager there did minor service and Jeff Green went there too as the play field was almost always black - the exact game is at iPlay America as a Pindemption software game and is kicking ass.
The game left as the 75th Anniversary WOZ event ended - so the gift shop rotated a new display in that area.
It was a big success! Oh - Pinball machines do need service now and then - big surprise!

Oh I wasn't jumping on anyone. Just was bummed it wasn't there to play and I only repeated what a worker told me.

#27 4 years ago

As someone great once said..."If it ain't broke, it ain't pinball."

Just like all mechanical things, stuff happens and things break down. This isn't a bad reflection on the game IMO. If anything it's a testament to it being able to take a horrendous beating! Can you imagine how many times that thing had unfinished games on it, just sitting there running and running? Being turned off and on repeatedly? You know the museum probably did next to nothing to it as well. I mean, God forbid they should pull the glass once a week and give it a nice cleaning and fresh coat of wax before they leave. Please.

#28 4 years ago
Quoted from JerseyJack:

Quoted from PoMC:

If it ever goes back, I'd be happy to install any parts and check on it once a week or as called. I work right across from the museum on the other side of the mall.

Quoted from PoMC:

Oh I wasn't jumping on anyone. Just was bummed it wasn't there to play

#29 4 years ago
Quoted from 2RustyBalls:

surely you must have me mistaken with another TaylorVA.

#30 4 years ago

Hopefully you can get a Hobbit in there next for the 80th anniversary of the book!

#31 4 years ago
Quoted from JerseyJack:

Truth is the game was there more than 18 months with an average of 1,000 plays a week - on free play

So around 78000 plays, impressive.

#32 4 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

So around 78000 plays, impressive.

LoL!!

#33 4 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Hopefully you can get a Hobbit in there next for the 80th anniversary of the book!

In the Museum of American History?!

2 weeks later
#34 4 years ago

Darn it! In Dc for spring break - was going to stop there to play this afternoon with my kids. Any family friendly pinball places in downtow. Dc?

#35 4 years ago

Not really Ozzie. But Lyman's opens for lunch and it would probably be OK for kids then, though I would call first. And you'd need to either cab or metro+walk a mile.

#36 4 years ago

Lyman's is kid friendly weekdays during lunch time

2 weeks later
#37 4 years ago

Probably a good thing it was not in the Museum. Our spring break coincided with the Cherry Blossom Festival. There was a TON of people in D.C. Just walking into exhibits in the various museums required waiting in line. We never even got into the Archives because the shortest line we encountered was 1.25 hours +. Can't imagine that we would have been able to play WOZ on free play, even if it was there. People were cutting line and pushing for elevators and water fountains, can't imagine people would have been considerate to others with a free pinball machine.

Fun trip, but reinforced why I like to go to National Parks for vacations. No crowds.

3 months later
#38 3 years ago

Darn, wish I had seen this thread before stopping into the gift shop this morning. Wasn't out of my way, but wouldn't have been disappointed. Got to see the ruby slippers as a consolation prize. Oh well. I do still want a WOZ, though TH has all my attention for now. Have to figure out how to pay for it.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 120.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 11,500.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
$ 189.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames
$ 279.95
$ 50.00
Machine - For Sale
Fullerton, CA
$ 114.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 279.95
$ 40.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 11,500.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Blacklick, OH
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside