WOZ Internet Connectivity ...... Confirmed

By guesswhere

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 12 years ago

JJP just confirmed that WOZ will have internet connectivity. Wow WOZ'ers will be connected to each other all around the planet. A small step for mankind but a giant leap for PINBALL. WOZ will "rock" in ways that music themed pins will be seem like Liberace in comparison.

#2 12 years ago

Source? Ive heard Internet connectivity but nothing about being connected to each other

#3 12 years ago

Global leaderboards I'm assuming. Now you're gonna really know how bad you suck. I hope there is some sort of sensor which can tell if someone is cheating and playing with the glass off and using their hand.

#4 12 years ago

i hope jjp will stay away from DRM.

#5 12 years ago

Hell yeah, makes updates a breeze too!

#6 12 years ago

Yep, see what motivation and the intention of satisfying the pinball playing community can do!!!! Ahhh Stern your really shitting your pants now.... Its calling coming back at you..

#7 12 years ago

Do we know wifi vs wired for sure?

#8 12 years ago

I can see some possibilities where they have a system like that bowling game where you can keep track of your statistics across all Woz anywhere. The simplified updates would be nice too.

However, other than that, I almost only see negatives. Leaderboards will be absolutely pointless. Every pinball machine is too different to make meaningful score comparisons. In addition, there are too many variables to eliminate cheating. It is simply too easy to cheat.

I also foresee added costs to operators, making the game even more expensive and more unlikely to be operated. If players truly start demanding Internet tracking, then Woz would only be operated in locations with Internet service. Also, JJP might charge a fee either per game played while connected, or some sort of annual fee for the privilege of stat tracking and leaderboards.

#9 12 years ago

It's only hearsay from people that say Jack confirmed it.

Quoted from guesswhere:

JJP just confirmed that WOZ will have internet connectivity. Wow WOZ'ers will be connected to each other all around the planet. A small step for mankind but a giant leap for PINBALL. WOZ will "rock" in ways that music themed pins will be seem like Liberace in comparison.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/woz-internet-connectivity

#10 12 years ago

Yeah well it cant hurt to have the feature... You could play live on webcam as well. This would be great for comps. Viewing the game on webcam would show that others are not cheating.

#11 12 years ago

JJP should have an option where you can make an online account and earn experience the more you play, just like what video games do. Which then could be used in countless possibilities like unlocking new play modes and rules or an alternative soundtrack.

#12 12 years ago

Uh...well, on the WOZ forum I think Jack basically said in a nut shell he didn't want to give any info about it one wy or the other, so Stern would not know one way or the other. I got the feeling by Jack's wording there will be some sort of internet. But I'd hardly say it was "confirmed", because he did not give an answer LOL!

#13 12 years ago
Quoted from Thunderpants:

i hope jjp will stay away from DRM.

Me 2

#14 12 years ago

i have searched, but with no luck. where do i find the WOZ forum?

#15 12 years ago

Jack did say that it would have internet connectivity today on the WOZ forum.
He said he will not divulge any details about its use at this time because he does not want the competition to know exactly what he has in store yet.

Also, there appears to be a big release tomorrow of information about WOZ.

#16 12 years ago

I hear the update is going to be beyond big and into the massive range. Jack is shooting for between 2:00 and 3:00 EST. This should fire up the servers.

#17 12 years ago
Quoted from guesswhere:

Er how is this a leap? WMS did this with RFM. I had mine connected to the net and while it is neat, it means little. The problem is even with the same settings every game is different and scores differently.

#18 12 years ago
Quoted from dung:

pinsane said:JJP just confirmed that WOZ will have internet connectivity. Wow WOZ'ers will be connected to each other all around the planet. A small step for mankind but a giant leap for PINBALL. WOZ will "rock" in ways that music themed pins will be seem like Liberace in comparison.
Er how is this a leap? WMS did this with RFM. I had mine connected to the net and while it is neat, it means little. The problem is even with the same settings every game is different and scores differently.

A bit of patience will define the difference between the 20th century and the 21st century.

#19 12 years ago

Here come the non stop Facebook pinball score updates.

#20 12 years ago

Great... now I will have to take my pinball machine into geek squad when it gets a virus!

#21 12 years ago

Here's another idea on net connectivity, it takes the info of a world class player, and you can watch him play it on your machine. Don't know if the 'thing flip' technology is advanced enough for that, but that would be very interesting.

Also the custom soundtrack idea that JJ didn't want to tell me much about, the machine doubling as a jukebox is another idea that could intergrate the net.

#22 12 years ago
Quoted from Virtua:

However, other than that, I almost only see negatives. Leaderboards will be absolutely pointless. Every pinball machine is too different to make meaningful score comparisons. In addition, there are too many variables to eliminate cheating. It is simply too easy to cheat.

Settings, and not having the ability to monitor cheating would completely ruin this feature.

Quoted from NY2Colorado:

Here come the non stop Facebook pinball score updates.

Exactly, I quit facebook a while ago. It's a narcissists favorite tool. I hate that I have to sign in as a guest when I play Zen pinball on my phone.. Why can't I just have an account outside of Facebook? I don't feel that I'm that important to show people what I'm doing, and the score I'm able to achieve.. I hate facebook. I don't care if you're running a marathon - do it quietly if it's something you enjoy. Nobody cares that you just shit out your 4th kid.. I don't value your opinion, let alone your political opinion, keep it to yourself. ::End Rant::

#23 12 years ago

About time.Home game consoles have had this since the turn of the century.For those of you who think its for updates......this isn't a Stern,this game will be shipped with COMPLETED software.Stern has lowered the bar and conditioned the community that all software is incomplete and needs to be updated.Talk about lowering the bar,jeez.More likely it will be so someone on the East Coast can play someone on the West Coast.Just like Call of Duty and Madden football.Than we can post score,rankings,records on a site.Hooray and about time.Thanks JJP.Scott

#24 12 years ago

Jack, that sounds like an excellent dual purpose for that LCD backglass, watch your friend play, while you play, or do the traditional method, waiting for your friend to finish the last ball before your turn.

I like these ideas, and if only half become reality I'd be really happy to own one of these machines. So did anyone say they wanted me to have about 7.5 grand?

#25 12 years ago
Quoted from jackofdiamonds:

this isn't a Stern,this game will be shipped with COMPLETED software.Stern has lowered the bar and conditioned the community that all software is incomplete and needs to be updated.

Yep this is what I am talking about... Finally a company that cares

#26 12 years ago
Quoted from Blakesell:

Also the custom soundtrack idea that JJ didn't want to tell me much about, the machine doubling as a jukebox is another idea that could intergrate the net.

This is not going to happen with Woz. Maybe with an unlicensed title. MGM would never allow the user to play an inappropriate song alongside imagery and artwork from woz. This is the same reason why custom ads will not happen with this title.

Quoted from RGR:

jackofdiamonds said:

this isn't a Stern,this game will be shipped with COMPLETED software.Stern has lowered the bar and conditioned the community that all software is incomplete and needs to be updated.
Yep this is what I am talking about... Finally a company that cares

It is impossible to find all bugs or shortcomings in software until it is in the hands of thousands of testers playing thousands of games post release. To think that there will not be software updates is incredibly naive, especially if the rules are as deep as JJP claims they will be. Maybe modes will be too easy, or too difficult, or scoring will be imbalanced, or an effect or a sound will take presedence when it shouldn't, etc. There will be updates.

#27 12 years ago

This needs to be wireless to be worthwhile IMHO.

#28 12 years ago
Quoted from Virtua:

It is impossible to find all bugs or shortcomings in software until it is in the hands of thousands of testers playing thousands of games post release

lol or you happen to finish all the songs on ACDC only to find that there is no Encore mode after SR advertised it in the youtube promotion video... LOL AT THAT

#29 12 years ago

The WOZ google group was invite only for people who pre-ordered WOZECLE

Bob C

#30 12 years ago

I didnt see anyone mention it so..

What about the net connectivity alerting operators when there's an error on the machine. Bling, text message, your WOZ just tilted. Switch #47 is inoperable. etc.

For that matter, if it had a webcam the operator could see who's playing it by logging into a website on their phone and viewing through the camera...

just some "non-leaderboard" thoughts.. I think the leaderboard with this type of game is kind of pointless as well given the differences in each game and the ability to "cheat".

#31 12 years ago

I'm not sure if I want the hassle of internet on a pin. Although, I guess, it would make software updates easier.

#32 12 years ago

ALSO CONFIRMED:

Owners/Operators will have the ability to use the built-in internet connectivity to download patches and updates! Jack said it himself in Ohio this weekend. Said he doesn't want any incomplete games out there.

NOT CONFIRMED:
A "The Wiz" mode. I can't wait to "ease on down the road" with Michael Jackson, Richard Pryor, and Dianna Ross! All thanks to a simple download!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0078504/

#33 12 years ago

Again, so many options. With a little forethought, they could take pinball in a completely new direction. To have a webcam on each machine, and allow people to connect via the internet for tournaments, or game nights would be awesome. While one person is playing, everyone else could be watching them on their monitors. Hell, with two webcams you could add a toggle that would allow you to switch from watching the person, to watching the playfield, or a split view.

Hell, you could add interactive toys that the people you're PLAYING against could control. Or, for example, enable a mode where certain shots would earn you an "ability" to play on your opponent's turn. Reversing their flippers for a couple of seconds, for example. Or a "blackout" effect. Of course you could allow people to turn these on or off as they see fit, but I could see myself having a blast with some of those while playing with friends. It would allow for standard playing of the game, but also aspects that would increase the replay value and interactive abilities.

Lots and lots of possibilities that I should be trying to patent rather than posting about, haha.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
9,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Santa Maria, CA
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 85.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 395.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 55.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Burlingame, CA
$ 24.50
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/woz-internet-connectivity-confirmed and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.